Thread: Box tape off King Grayskull

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar

Box tape off King Grayskull

This probably doesn't deserve a thread, but I was sooo excited to find that the tape comes right off the box w/out any damage whatsoever. I'm sure tons of peeps have figures this out already, but I was scared to try with fears o tearing it up (until I just did of coarse).

I suggest taking it of ASAP as the adhesive might not be so kind in the future.

Makes the box look so much better!

Yup, I appreciate the nice tape too and quickly removed mine. King Grayskull is awesome and so is his packaging. I played with the box for a good ten minutes grinning.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

Thats nice, I always hate when it rips it to shreds.

I took off all the tape on mine. Tape yellows and can become very sticky.

Besides who isn't going to open them and see if they have the exclusive.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Me.

I still can't open mine. I will try again tomorrow. heh.
    My Vintage MOTU Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=160111
    My Others Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169076
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Vintage MOC and MISB For Sale:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...FA-and-non-AFA

I did the same in the car ride back the the Con. I was able to get the tape off with no damage. I saw that i had the statue, and put him back in and put the tape back on. I only peeled it back enough to get the inner box out. You can totally tell that it has been removed and put back on though, so unless someone has the same exact tape, it shouldn't be hard to spot if someone is trying to pass off and unopened one that has been opened.

So if someone is intent on keeping them in the box how does one check to see which one they got? Does removal of the tape mean your box is no longer sealed? Could I sell the box as brand new if I removed the tape to see which figure I got? (I'm not going to sell it mind you, it's just a question.) I'm very collector minded with certain figures and this appears to be one of them. I haven't recieved my KG in the mail yet so my questions might clear up once I recieve it.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    So if someone is intent on keeping them in the box how does one check to see which one they got? Does removal of the tape mean your box is no longer sealed? Could I sell the box as brand new if I removed the tape to see which figure I got? (I'm not going to sell it mind you, it's just a question.) I'm very collector minded with certain figures and this appears to be one of them. I haven't recieved my KG in the mail yet so my questions might clear up once I recieve it.

You need to open the box to see which one you got.

If you can peel the tape off without making a mark, perhaps you can put a new tape to "seal" it back up.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Sealed is sealed. Removal and reattachment of tape - no matter how perfect it looks - is considered opened.

There are going to be collectors who want sealed/unopened, and any tampering voids that category of collectibility. Perhaps they want to make certain it's unopened so they have a chance at the variant. Perhaps they just like to say they have one that's still factory sealed. Whatever the reason, if you peel up tape and re-seal it, you can't in good faith try to sell it as sealed/unopened.

Hope that helps.

Evil Master of Arcades Gamutstreet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
    Sealed is sealed. Removal and reattachment of tape - no matter how perfect it looks - is considered opened.

There are going to be collectors who want sealed/unopened, and any tampering voids that category of collectibility. Perhaps they want to make certain it's unopened so they have a chance at the variant. Perhaps they just like to say they have one that's still factory sealed. Whatever the reason, if you peel up tape and re-seal it, you can't in good faith try to sell it as sealed/unopened.

Hope that helps.
    I guess there won't be many sealed KG's then. A bronze "opened" one still goes for 150 bucks so I guess it doesn't matter much.
    Always remember the dark days of 2004 with no new MOTU in sight...

OK. Thanks guys, I guess I will be opening mine then. It's true that opened bronze ones do go for quite a lot on ebay, you almost need to open them in order to see what you got so you can know the value.

There are no sealed King Grayskull statues.

Why?

Because there's no way to know.

That's an obvious point, but what I'm getting at is there's no classification with a sealed King Grayskull, so it's not like anyone's paying more for a sealed statue KG than a sealed regular KG. If someone knows, he's not a sealed figure.

So really there are three versions of King Grayskull: sealed, loose, and loose statue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    There are no sealed King Grayskull statues.

Why?

Because there's no way to know.

That's an obvious point, but what I'm getting at is there's no classification with a sealed King Grayskull, so it's not like anyone's paying more for a sealed statue KG than a sealed regular KG. If someone knows, he's not a sealed figure.

So really there are three versions of King Grayskull: sealed, loose, and loose statue.
    Its so true... you would have to be an absolute detective to figure out whether its been tampered with.. .Especially since the boxes (even at the con) were dinged up pretty bad anyway.

I did extensive research on this and I have found that atleast in San Diego they do not sell 1 inch transparant scotch tape..that is the width of the tape that they use to tape up KG boxes... They only sell 3/4 width transparant tape in Staples and Office Max...unless someone knows where to get 1 inch width 3M transparant tape cut by an industrial sized heavy duty dispenser it will be really easy to detect (assuming you really know your tape).
    Last edited by CocoaSmooth; August 6, 2008 at 12:19am.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

I don't know how the MIB/MOC collectors do it. The longest I've gone without opening a package up was about a month, maybe a little more. It dang near made me lose my sanity. I'm all better now.

I'm glad that the tape does not damage what appears to be a glossy box because the box itself is also a display piece which is very nice. I once bought a Transformers Hasbro Reissue Smokescreen from TRU, and getting their stupid orange price tag off cleanly was a living freaking nightmare.

CocoaSmooth:

you can order 1" and even 2" wide clear (scotch) tape online.

...I'm not sure if this is helpful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    CocoaSmooth:

you can order 1" and even 2" wide clear (scotch) tape online.

...I'm not sure if this is helpful at all.

I went to the 3m site and they make it really hard to buy single rolls and not in bulk...hehehehehehehhehehe...

To pull off the stunt

1. Heavy duty tape dispenser... $ 25 - $30 (for authenticity)
    2. 1" Width Transparant roll of tape $ 14 (Target.com)

Approx total not including shipping $45 dollars just to try and reseal a $30 dollar KG the way pros do it.

That tape is is so worth it especially with other boxed toys...
    Last edited by CocoaSmooth; August 6, 2008 at 12:27am.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.