View Poll Results: Reuse of parts in MotUC: Positive or Negative?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Positive. I love the nostalgia!

    70 53.03%
  • Negative. The reuse of parts is a big drawback.

    21 15.91%
  • I wouldn't be interested in MotUC if they did not reuse parts.

    1 0.76%
  • I would be more interested in MotUC if they did not reuse parts.

    26 19.70%
  • I really couldn't care less. All the same to me.

    14 10.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Reuse of parts in MotUC: Positive or negative?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    The Line of Eld Lioncourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Better here than Privet Drive
    Posts
    9,230

    Reuse of parts in MotUC: Positive or negative?

    Don't get me wrong, I love the new Classics and will buy most...probably all...of them. But I'm not thrilled with the reuse of parts. I understand the nostalgia factor they're trying to bring in, but I think we could've had a "Classics" line without massive reuse. Partial reuse would've been fine, but it seems a little too much to me. Still, I will buy them anyway, and enjoy them nearly as much as 200X. Where are you?

    " … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

    { @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }
    19

  2. #2
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,860
    I'm 100% fine with everything we've been shown so far. I guess I'm lucky in the sense that, while I realize there's some re-use going on in the line, I'm not the type of person who focuses in on it too much.

  3. #3
    Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Northern part
    Posts
    5,846
    I don't think it's a total downer, but I am a little bit disappointed. I would prefer it if there was more new parts, one can still get the classic look of the figures without reusing the same parts over and over.

    I'm hoping the later figures will have less reused parts.

  4. #4
    He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,552
    I chose "I really couldn't care less. All the same to me." because I don't have a problem with the original classics reusing parts or these. I hope it was able to decrease the cost of the figures, which would give the reuse a positive spin. I'd hate to imagine if they were more than $20 a pop. I wouldn't want to pay more just to have all original parts.

    Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

  5. #5
    The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    4,621
    I love He-Man and The Masters of the Universe. The Reuse parts in MOTUC line is a little bit cheap. They said that this line is for the Fans the collectors. I can believe that because of the price of the figures, but the same hands, same feet, same torsos, that is wrong, even disrespectful at this time. We deserve better. In the past people complain about re-paint and now are super excited with recycle figures, ironic. Long live MOTU. We are going to have fun with this line and support it more than Mattel does, Because we are the FANS !!!

  6. #6
    Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    Posts
    3,808
    I don't mind as long as they still retain their individuality and they don't go overboard with it.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Khror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    France (95)
    Posts
    787
    No way!
    Keep the classic style but rebuilt everything

  8. #8
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,618
    In all fairness Lioncourt, the re-used parts issue is different for most people than it is for you. If someone were to remove Zodac, and Merman's legs and asked you to identify them, you couldn't do it right? For everyone else they have significant differences despite having the same sculpt.

    I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not appreciating the part re-use (yes I am ), but most everyone has a different perspective than you do.

  9. #9
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,500
    Negative for right now.

    I understand that MOTUC doesn't have the budget or resources of a "real" retail toyline, but compared to what we've got and what we're used to now, re-using parts makes them look extremely cheap, nostalgia be damned. I'm used to Moss Man being composed of vines and all sorts of plant matter now, not a flocked Green Beastman. I'm used to MAA, Snout Spout and Meckaneck wearing meched out armor now, not spandex bodysuits. I dunno...maybe if they made reuses canon, somehow...like depicting EVERYONE, even background characters wearing the bracelets, furry boots and underwear like that was a planetwide style...

    When the 4H re-did MOTU, they recreated them in a very sensible and grown-up style, which was great because it matched our grown up mentalities. MOTU had grown with us. Most of their ideas rocked, some didn't. Now mere re-colored clones of original characters had their own unique sculpts. The detail and thought that went into the design on EACH figure was astounding. Going back to reused parts seems like a huge step down.

    MOTUC isn't a line to sleep on though. Going from the 8 back, we'll have new versions of old characters that we haven't seen before...at least until we get to Mekaneck (past the Barbarian He-Man Alcala/Texiera era) and the 1985 and onward characters whose art was basically like the toy. Then we might be looking at basically the 80's toys only with modern articulation.

    POP and NA characters will be shots of fresh air because they are done in this style. POP characters will seem like NEW MOTU characters PERIOD, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing those characters (that is IF they start looking more MOTU-ish with the furry boots and Teela/Evil-Lyn bracelets), especially if they had different sculpts, but since they weren't MOTU characters, they might as well be new. And NA characters do have unique sculpts but were scrawny looking, so any added muscle mass would work wonders.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,585
    It's a major drawback for me. Allthough I voted: I would be more interested in MotUC if they did not reuse parts." because I will get them anyways. I think it's a cheap way to produce figures with a steep pricetag.

    I don't get the nostalgic feel of production restrictions of the 80's. For me the nostalgic feel lies in the original figures which I allready have. It just feels like a huge step back and I am really surprised people are going with it.

    I agree with Lioncourt on this...

    That and what MegaGearMax said before:

    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Negative for right now.

    I understand that MOTUC doesn't have the budget or resources of a "real" retail toyline, but compared to what we've got and what we're used to now, re-using parts makes them look extremely cheap, nostalgia be damned. I'm used to Moss Man being composed of vines and all sorts of plant matter now, not a flocked Green Beastman. I'm used to MAA, Snout Spout and Meckaneck wearing meched out armor now, not spandex bodysuits. I dunno...maybe if they made reuses canon, somehow...like depicting EVERYONE, even background characters wearing the bracelets, furry boots and underwear like that was a planetwide style...

    When the 4H re-did MOTU, they recreated them in a very sensible and grown-up style, which was great because it matched our grown up mentalities. MOTU had grown with us. Most of their ideas rocked, some didn't. Now mere re-colored clones of original characters had their own unique sculpts. The detail and thought that went into the design on EACH figure was astounding. Going back to reused parts seems like a huge step down.

    MOTUC isn't a line to sleep on though. Going from the 8 back, we'll have new versions of old characters that we haven't seen before...at least until we get to Mekaneck (past the Barbarian He-Man Alcala/Texiera era) and the 1985 and onward characters whose art was basically like the toy. Then we might be looking at basically the 80's toys only with modern articulation.

    POP and NA characters will be shots of fresh air because they are done in this style. POP characters will seem like NEW MOTU characters PERIOD, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing those characters (that is IF they start looking more MOTU-ish with the furry boots and Teela/Evil-Lyn bracelets), especially if they had different sculpts, but since they weren't MOTU characters, they might as well be new. And NA characters do have unique sculpts but were scrawny looking, so any added muscle mass would work wonders.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

  11. #11
    wants Dragstor!!! Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Plains of Perpetua
    Posts
    13,890
    I would've appreciated if they didn't use the same furry pants for all figures (that we've seen till now), and if Skeletor, Mer-Man and Zodac had different boots and underarms. For example, I would've preffered if Zodac had He-Man's underarms (without wrist bands) and new sculpts on the boots.
    I admit though that it's not a huge problem for me. It's just that if I had the chance, I would've voted for more different parts in those areas (pants, boots, underarms).
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior LionO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    New York Baby!
    Posts
    3,173
    I'm ALL for the reusing of the parts BUT... with certain characters they should make new limbs if the character requires it due to its initial design.

  13. #13
    USF Bull chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    6,678
    I voted positive, not for nostalgia's sake but because it means getting to more characters. And, eventually some characters will be unique enough to require their own molds. And, it seems the reused parts are being somewhat disguised enough...it doesn't bother me.

  14. #14
    The Line of Eld Lioncourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Better here than Privet Drive
    Posts
    9,230
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I voted positive, not for nostalgia's sake but because it means getting to more characters. And, eventually some characters will be unique enough to require their own molds. And, it seems the reused parts are being somewhat disguised enough...it doesn't bother me.
    The thing is, they could have reused the parts without making it quite so transparent. For example, the arms in the MotUC line, based on KG, are divided into four separate pieces. Swapping out the section that runs from elbow to wrist with a more character appropriate design would've gone a long way toward satisfying everyone, I think. JMHO.

    " … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

    { @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }
    19

  15. #15
    Eternian Henchman motu77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    East Berlin, PA
    Posts
    4,207
    Well it worked the first time so why not try again?
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

    eBay Feedback


    " Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior motuatsunny3125's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    raised from the depths of unicron to hunt venom
    Posts
    286
    using part over again is ok as long as it's rationalized

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,804
    my philosophy is that Man-at-arms was always a repaint of He-man, so why should we expect better now?

    When I first saw 200x MAAs I was a little disapointed because I didn't think it looked enough like the "real" MAA Same with the rest, They all have hands, feet and furry pants.... So what. That's what the character is SUPPOSED to have! Spandex with snap on armor.

    It may be NICE to have fully individual figures.... But I'm not going to be morally offended because they don't. As long as each character looks like they are supposed to look like.... I'm happy.

    If Man-E-Faces or Ram Man show up with He-man's body.... THEN I'll get upset

  18. #18
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,500
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    my philosophy is that Man-at-arms was always a repaint of He-man, so why should we expect better now?
    For $25, some people don't want the limitations of the 80's line. In 200X, almost every character was unique. Since we are back to parts reuse, any common sense individuality is now gone. Now a crab man, an insect man and a lizard man have the same legs.

    When I first saw 200x MAAs I was a little disapointed because I didn't think it looked enough like the "real" MAA Same with the rest, They all have hands, feet and furry pants.... So what. That's what the character is SUPPOSED to have! Spandex with snap on armor.
    And some would say that was silly. A man who is armored is wearing spandex? 200X fixed alot of the "silliness" from the original line when they were stuck with the exact same parts.

    It may be NICE to have fully individual figures.... But I'm not going to be morally offended because they don't. As long as each character looks like they are supposed to look like.... I'm happy.

    If Man-E-Faces or Ram Man show up with He-man's body.... THEN I'll get upset
    So what's supposed to look like mean? Originally? Like Teela being blonde? MAA having NO moustache? Or maybe some designs that transcended Mattel's original limitations.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

    So what's supposed to look like mean? Originally? Like Teela being blonde? MAA having NO moustache? Or maybe some designs that transcended Mattel's original limitations.
    To me some kind of combination of the original toys and Filmation. teela was never "REALLY" Blond..... She showed up that way in a mini comic, but there was never a toy that showed that. Personally I want a mustached MAA, but I wouldn't really be upset if they didn't go that route. MAA had green skin in Filmation and the original toys, that's what I want to see again. 200x was fun for what it was, but it really is a footnote in the long history of MOTU. I never really considered it the "REAL" MOTU story. No more than all the relaunches of Transformers dilutes the original stories/designs.

    200x was a reimaging of the MOTU. the problem with that is that there is no guarantee that it will be any good or that people will like it.

    Like I said I did not like cyborg MAA (of course at the time I didn't know that gun came OFF his hand.... It looked pretty attached) and I HATED the new He-man. The fact that I didn't like the new He-man put a damper on the whole series for me.

    With the classics they come right out and say that these are nostalgic and for the Adult collector. To me that means the 80's and since we've just SEEN what they do with the reimagining, I'm quite happy with seeing the toys that I loved with new improved posability and something that takes me back to my childhood. That is what I want. I'll never forget the way my heart sped up the first time I saw that Awesome new He-man proto figures.

    As far as I'm concerned, That is what they advertised and I don't expect anything more from them. They came right out and said "we can't afford individual sculpts, its reused parts or nothing" I would rather have what I can get. If they want to make minor tweaks that add to the character (like Merman gills or tridents) Awesome... but I won't be upset if they don't. i'm paying for an awesome poseable He-man, not someone who kind of looks like he may be related to He-man

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Rodster6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,694
    I cant imagine characters like Clawful or Webstor looking very good compared to the 200X designs if they are just repaints with different heads and armour. Monstor type characters really need different sculpts to do them justice.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    896
    'I couldn't care less' was my vote, even though the first 'positive' choice applies as well.

    They've reused parts since the vintage line. New tooling is expensive and frequently unnecessary. I, for one, am happy that there's a Classics line at all, so this is what I call a non-issue.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Power Sword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Almaden Mountains
    Posts
    807
    I went with, "I really couldn't care less. All the same to me."

    If they gave Man-At-Arms an armored body it wouldn't matter to me.
    Repaint Merman into Stinkor & give him Meckaneck's armor, I'm cool.
    Paint Beastman green & flock him, works for me.
    I'm a simple man. There were things that bugged me about the 2002 figures but I bought 'em all & cherished 'em all the same. I did it back in the '80s & I'll do it again now.

  23. #23
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    9,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    I went with, "I really couldn't care less. All the same to me."

    If they gave Man-At-Arms an armored body it wouldn't matter to me.
    Repaint Merman into Stinkor & give him Meckaneck's armor, I'm cool.
    Paint Beastman green & flock him, works for me.
    I'm a simple man. There were things that bugged me about the 2002 figures but I bought 'em all & cherished 'em all the same. I did it back in the '80s & I'll do it again now.
    Amen, because when you get down to it, reusing parts keeps costs down, the line lives longer, and we have new He-Man toys!!!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

    Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

  24. #24
    The Line of Eld Lioncourt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Better here than Privet Drive
    Posts
    9,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Amen, because when you get down to it, reusing parts keeps costs down, the line lives longer, and we have new He-Man toys!!!
    Well, while I love MotUC, I can't really go along with that sort of logic. The New Adventures stuff kept the line alive longer too back in the late '80's and early '90's, but the compromises and changes to the line made it an unfair trade. I couldn't care less about NA, and mostly wish it didn't exist. That is not the case with the reuse of parts. I'm just pointing out that those should not be the reasons why you go along with anything in MotU.

    Here's an example...

    I would not except it if they made Skeletor a girl and gave him pony-tails and pink bows in his hair. I would not support it, and I would not like it. Even if it was proven that such a Skeletor would sell better than a regular Skeletor, it wouldn't be worth it to me. This is an extreme example, of course, but it illustrates the point.

    " … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

    { @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }
    19

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,254
    I don't mind the reuse, but when we get to 200X (not if, when) I want to see reuses that make sense for the aesthetic of the characters (such as He-Man's torso on Hordak), but I don't want the furry pants, I want the 200X style belt.

    I don't mind one way or another with regard to everything else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •