Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KGS, sold-out or hyped-up?

KGS, sold-out or hyped-up?

I'm sure everyone here knows that the KGS figure is listed as sold-out on Matty. I for one don't think this is the case.

Why would a site still advertise a sold-out figure on its frontpage?
    This is the first time I've seen an online store actually advertising a figure with a sold-out sign in such a manner.

What are your thoughts?

I've seen Toy R Us dot com show the Batman with Joker 2-pack on their page and it is still not available for order for over 2 weeks now. So it is not a big deal. Mattycollector.com is still a very new site, and I think they're still getting the site worked out right now. Plus, it makes for good advertising since KG is still extremely popular. And, IMHO, KG lives up to all the hype from what I've seen in pic-a-tures here on He-Man.org. The wait is killing me (no, I didnt buy one from Matty's site).

really the first time you see that? it's actually a pretty common thing for official distributors to do: they advertise the line of products and their own page if they still keep the sold out exclusives listed - intention is to show people that for future exclusives they should check there again. They even often keep a whole back-catalogue of exclusives listed without any chance of a re-release that wouldn't involve major changes...

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Well, they did pay for this slick, pretty dissolving graphic that changes from King G and McQueen into Lobo and Giganta and then back. I can't blame them for choosing to use it as long as at least one of those things can be sold.

Don't forget that, unlike practically every other e-commerce site, Mattycollector only has a grand total of four things that they've ever sold! Showing all four different items at least keeps alive this concept that Mattycollector sells different types of toys, rather than potentially mislead people into thinking it's just a lame one-trick site where Giganta is their one and only product. Or thinking that they're only going to sell JLU product. Or what have you.

Besides, the site is only eight days old. Their employees are probably busy enough straightening out actual customer issues, and updating the site is no doubt a lesser priority, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by x2x3x2 View Post
    I'm sure everyone here knows that the KGS figure is listed as sold-out on Matty. I for one don't think this is the case.

This is the first time I've seen an online store actually advertising a figure with a sold-out sign in such a manner.

What are your thoughts?
    I doubt they'd turn away sales in favor of trying to create additional hype.

Hasbrotoyshop.com does the exact same thing, they leave their sold out items on their store for quite some time. Their SDCC Exclusives are still featured on the main page even though the MLP and GI Joe exclusives have been sold out since last Monday

Its not uncommon, for example amazon.com does it, many online stores do it.

So I dont really understand the question? Are you implying that since its still featured on the stores site that they may have more and its only artificially sold out?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

From a labor viewpoint when doing a website, it is way easier to slap a little "sold out" graphic over the existing one rather than make a whole new one to replace the one there. Why take off KG just because he is sold out? By just being seen, he is still generating interest for the rest of the figs.

Im gonna lean towards sold out....
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

I'm confused, is King Grayskull a Comicon exclusive period, or is King Grayskull in the electronic packaging the exclusive with a regular packaged figure to come out later?
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm thinking he's sold out too.

I'm kind of annoyed that "don't worry, despite not putting a limit on sales for scalpers, there will be enough for everybody." and what that really means is there will be enough for everyone for half a day. (and didn't they end up putting a limit of 4 per person?) Am I remembering incorrectly that they were actually going to make enough to fill orders, or was someone else responding in a thread about it implying that?

Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    I'm confused, is King Grayskull a Comicon exclusive period, or is King Grayskull in the electronic packaging the exclusive with a regular packaged figure to come out later?
    As it stands, comic con exclusive period. but that is something that could change if Mattel decides they can make money putting him in a regular package and probably give him MYP weapons.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

You're right, they should take that shot of him off of the website, and make sure that people who don't know about MotUC never find out. For sure they've got at least another 50,000 KG's in their warehouse, but they'd rather ruin our lives than make money. Hold on I've dropped my tinfoil hat. Now where was I? Oh yeah, Matel r kiling teh lien!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Now where was I? Oh yeah, Matel r kiling teh lien!

Oh nos, tharye killein’ teh lein . . . again!

I think they’re just leaving the graphic and page up as a reference. That is part of the spiel of this site, isn’t it – the concept of logging everything into Mattie’s vault and keeping solid records of the whole thing?

Besides, the page has been up about a week, and there is no new product yet. Grayskull still has a lot of buzz surrounding it. Just by keeping the page up they are generating traffic by hopeful visitors; traffic which will probably result in people visiting other sections of the site, which will build hype and awareness. Think like this: Oh man, I missed the chance for a Grayskull. I will not miss He-Man! And: Oh, cool. That DC Universe two-pack is awesome . . . didn’t know about that. Gonna have to get me one of those too!

There is no conspiracy. There is hype, but not the malicious type. That only reveals its ugly head when . . . thyre keilllein teh leine!

And that’s a ways off.

You're right, they should take that shot of him off of the website, and make sure that people who don't know about MotUC never find out. For sure they've got at least another 50,000 KG's in their warehouse, but they'd rather ruin our lives than make money. Hold on I've dropped my tinfoil hat. Now where was I? Oh yeah, Matel r kiling teh lien!
    LOL!!!!! METTAL R KILILING TEH LEIN!!!!! I miss Hadley.....whatever happened to him?
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

I was wondering where my tinfoil hat went off to...

What are your thoughts?
    Yes the figure sold out. They sold all they had at the Comic Con. And it's not so hard to believe they sold out the ones they had for Mattycollector.com? Besides it's not a bad way to promote a new online store by selling exclusives. Besides, Grayskull was up saying in stock for a while before going out of stick. Hasbro has done it with past exclusives. One that really caused trouble was the SDCC exclusive for the Transformers Alternator Nemesis Prime. When he came on with in moments the site crashed and on top of that. he sold out. But the major problem was that many who ordered him got emails from Hasbro stating they over sold and their order was canceled. Even the SDCC G.I.Joe Cobra Commander in suit sold out in minutes once going up on the site.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar
    Definately sold out I think. I just think its a case of Mattel hasnt got much beyond the SDCC launch items, so what else will they advertise?

In Germany people pay more than 400$ for the King, nevertheless they have one damage!!
    Condemns corrosively stupid sculpers.

Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    This King Grayskull was a ComiCon exclusive...(the one in the electronic packaging). They allowed people to purchase the stock they had left over on mattycollector.

The King Grayskull in the electronic packaging that was exclusive to the ComiCon is the same "exclusive" that people were able to purchase when mattycollector went live.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Have you been given satisfying intel now, x2x3x3? I think he really is sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman79 View Post
    In Germany people pay more than 400$ for the King, nevertheless they have one damage!!
    Condemns corrosively stupid sculpers.
    Really? All of the King Grayskulls you've seen in Germany are damaged..?

Ahh sorry Predabot i mean CRAZY totally Crazy!!

What are your thoughts?
    Sideshow Collectibles, Gentle Giant and other toy manufacturers do that all the time...
    No surprises there...
    There might be some left...maybe damaged boxes, and such, but I wouldn't count on it!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

No offense to anyone, but the notion that Mattel would take a loss to hype an exclusive in just retarded logic. The line doesn`t even start for 3 months so why would they hold back on the exclusive? Exactly!! They didn`t!

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Really? All of the King Grayskulls you've seen in Germany are damaged..?
    HAha...
    Yeah, that happens when one translates proverbs... just doesn't work...
    He probably meant the people paying those amounts of money have "a damage" as we say in Germany, meaning they are totally out of their mind...
    My Collection
    It's reallity and not a legend: PlanetEternia