Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Skeletor!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    We're not too keen on parts-reuse. We know it's here to stay. We liked having unique sculpts on MOTU characters (since detailed sculpts aren't the problem with the 4H.). Why is this so hard to understand?
    "We"?

Well, what if "we" told you that the only chance this line had with the Mattel execs, was that they had to use re-used parts just like they do with DCUC.

Individual molds for figures is DANG expensive, and for an online venture just for fans? To convince a BIG toy corporation? I'd be willing to bet that one of the BIG factors for getting this line the "OKAY" from the uppers is the fact that they will save buckets on re-using parts... Just like they did way back when.

But again, the point of this line is NOT giving each character a unique sculpt outside the characters head and armor. The point is to... Ah forget it!
    Definition of insanity... right here.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

It is a bit early to judge based on one photo, but I think having Alcala style Skeletor head as addition would be great. The original mini-comics were really impressive and unique.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the reused parts per se, I just don't understand how recycling everything but the head = fantastic, unbelieavable, breathtaking, world-altering artistic work that's so much better than unique, highly detailed sculpts for each character. Because that's what a lot of people are making it out to be.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I bet this skeletor leaves the toilet seat up!
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Hmmm. Or they've saved that info exclusively for the Toyfare mag?
    Obviously the 4HM had Skeletor done... But didn't reveal at SDCC.
    Or, far more likely, the ToyFare article will consist mostly of fluff and speculation like most of their articles tend to do.

I'm not holding my breath for any solid info.

J

Skeletor looks great! And personally I like the short loincloth... lol.

Lycan
    That's perfect!! More, more, more, 4HM!!
    Get Mattel to step up the pace and release more than one a month because it ain't enough

Fantastic! This line is shaping up to be my ideal of what Ive always thought MOTU should be.
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

I'm just waiting for someone to give me a logical explanation as to why the majority of the characters having the same body parts, the only unique thing for each character being the head, is suddenly such a tremendous artistic breakthrough. Because that's what so many people are making it out to be.

I understand the economics behind it. Nobody's questioning that. But artistically speaking, how is that so fantastic? How does anyone see that as a major artistic improvement over unique, vastly more detailed sculpts for each character?

Because that's what so many people are making it out to be, and I would like to try to understand the logic behind such statements.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

I thought this was a thread about the MotU Classics Skeletor? Anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by VaderLives View Post
    Yes it is, and Eric even says as much in that fwoosh interview.

That's not what I was referring to and I just edited my post to make it more clear.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I'm just waiting for someone to give me a logical explanation as to why the majority of the characters having the same body parts, the only unique thing for each character being the head, is suddenly such a tremendous artistic breakthrough. Because that's what so many people are making it out to be.
    That's a hard one for anyone to argue.
    You're getting into a debate that's based on personal opinion and preference.

Some people love the MOTUC line because it is bringing some of the earliest visions first seen by the public on the classic toys to life.

Other people will always love the sculpting style of the 2002 more than the MOTUC.

It's impossible to say which is better.
    It all depends on what the individual likes.

MOTUC is not 2002 and vice versa.
    It's useless to try to determine if one is superior stylistically.

Val's the man, I agree with him.

Besides, I think you're assuming that "everyone" thinks this is an artistic breakthrough. Granted... That's me making an assumption too.

I've never said that. I love the 4HM's work sure, I like the look of these figures, I feel like they've executed the old style with modern perks perfectly.
    Is it an artistic breakthrough? Nah. Is it a line of MotU figures I'm really excited about and can't wait to support? You bet!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Though I prefer the 200x line, these make me feel all kinds of nostalgic. I'm super excited and can't wait for more!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Val's the man, I agree with him.

Besides, I think you're assuming that "everyone" thinks this is an artistic breakthrough. Granted... That's me making an assumption too.

I've never said that. I love the 4HM's work sure, I like the look of these figures, I feel like they've executed the old style with modern perks perfectly.
    Is it an artistic breakthrough? Nah. Is it a line of MotU figures I'm really excited about and can't wait to support? You bet!
    I'll vote FOR artistic breakthrough!

Why?

They took figures that I really don't like and were able to re imagine them into figures I love.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I'll vote FOR artistic breakthrough!

Why?

They took figures that I really don't like and were able to re imagine them into figures I love.
    I stand corrected!
    I will say this, the 4HM have absolutely captured the essence of the magic I saw in MotU as a kid, and made it a bonafied figure for our day, so in that YES, it's an artistic breakthrough.

The overall line is a success for me because they captured that magic more perfectly than I could imagine, especially as I hold the King Grayskull figure.
    I personally don't care that each figure will have this size, heft, and muscle build.

And when I was a kid, I was disapointed in the figures that started to leave the core body shape, notably the He-Man variants and some of the latter characters in the line.

But to sorta defend Vaderlives's point of view there, sure once one or two figures are done, the rest is a little easier as they don't have to rebuild each body.

Some may say that's cheap... But really it's masterful craftsmanship to create a core style that can be so versatile, and still pull interest from the larger part of the fanbase.

The 4HM have been MASTERS at that with DCUC, the Seventh Kingdom, and now with these MotU Classics. So in a way, it is what I'd expect from them, but I just don't see that as a weakness like Vaderlives seems to.

Let's be happy we are getting anything at all! If it wasn't for the Four Horsemen's love for MOTU, we wouldn't be getting the MOTUC! I am thankful for their passion and dedication in trying to bring MOTU back to all of us, and hopefully introducing it to new fans in the future.

Thank you Horsemen!

I understand the economics behind it. Nobody's questioning that. But artistically speaking, how is that so fantastic? How does anyone see that as a major artistic improvement over unique, vastly more detailed sculpts for each character?

Because that's what so many people are making it out to be, and I would like to try to understand the logic behind such statements.
    No one can argue against you on that because you're correct.

Anyway, no one has explained to me why the card back art work is so venerated. Why is that artwork being held up as the ultimate reference for what MoTU should look like? It's never been what I thought defined the ultimate MoTU look. Bottom line is: what's so freakin' great about the 80s card backs????
    Last edited by KILLER-CLONE; August 10, 2008 at 07:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    Two things i'm looking forward to see on the new skeletor are his bare feet with 3 toes (the original toy's feet were colored to look like he was wearing boots) and the goatee on his ram staff!!!
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but that "goatee" is actually just the left horn of the havoc staff
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Quote Originally Posted by KILLER-CLONE View Post
    Bottom line is: what's so freakin' great about the 80s card backs????
    That's a question for the Original forum.

But it doesn't matter.
    If you don't like them, you don't like them.
    Others do, you don't. That's fine.
    There's no sense arguing it, so let's please not.

Personally, I think the MOTUC line captures the spirit and design of the original figures with wonderfully detailed sculpts and articulation. I couldn't be more excited for the Classics line, they look so awesome! I can't wait to see what comes next.
    Last edited by Tyger; August 9, 2008 at 01:17am.

Heroic Warrior
    Skeletor looks great. Awesome work, 4HM!

You know, while looking at this pic, Mer-Man's images and the King Greyskull sitting by my monitor, I see some really cool possibilities. With the ability to switch a few parts here and there, and some new head swaps, I see the chance for 200X/MOTUC figures in the future. KG is already 200X He-man from the waist down. With new armor and a head, he would be perfect. Skeletor would look 200X-ish with a new head, and he would also make a great Keldor with new weapons and a cape.

I know it won't happen soon, but since there are quite a few of us MOTUC fans that are also 200X fans, I bet after the 1st 8 are done we get some love as well.

This is a great time to be a MOTU fan, no matter the series you love most.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    This is a great looking classic Skeletor! The only issue I have are the straps on the loincloth and shoulders. I understand wanting to capture the look of th original figures and cardback art, but there should be some texturing on them to give an impression of the material. On such a detailed figure they are the only thing that looks toy-ish and it stands out.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Heroic Master Of Bad Luck
    come on! i was afraid about skelly, but now i seen how will gonna look...
    I love it!
    This is a Collector line, strongly based in the classic line, that's all!
    80 's line will always rock
    200x line was a great update and it rocks
    MotuC is the next level, i mean, what you want? Wich is the next step, after 200x line? MORE real sculpts?
    I think that this "da capo" gives fresh and nostalgic air to all the motu's universe
    That's my opinion, maybe i'm wrong, but i belive that is all about preferences...
    Like Val said, there's no one better than other, or is objectively impossible to choose one over another

The only thing i don't like , or i'm afraid of, is that we will have one figure per month. And i'm afraid that we will never see more than 12 figures or so..

but that's another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    This is a great looking classic Skeletor! The only issue I have are the straps on the loincloth and shoulders. I understand wanting to capture the look of th original figures and cardback art, but there should be some texturing on them to give an impression of the material. On such a detailed figure they are the only thing that looks toy-ish and it stands out.
    There is. You just can't see it in the magazine scan.

That's perfect Mattel / 4HM! Great stuff! I love the design and the colours.

Here's the big tip - these are going to sell extremely well, particularly He-man and Skeletor.

Keep up the good work - can't wait to see others unveiled, and can't wait to get these in my collection!
    "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"