Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Skeletor!

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Not too impressed sadly. I think after hitting the ball out of the park with 200X Skeletor, this isn't all that great. The face is just "ugh" and too generic for me.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I wish, but no, I'm not doing them unfortunately
    They're just using the original card art, right? Cuz if not, WHY IN THE HECK aren't you doing them?!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Wow, that's actually really underwhelming. That doesn't even come close to the 200X version in terms of awesomeness IMO.

So far, the only one of these figures that's doing anything for me at all is He-Man. I mean, I will get Skelly as well so I can have the big two, but yeah, it looks like I definitely won't be collecting this line, except maybe for characters that weren't released in the 200X series (though if they keep looking exactly like the vintage figures then even then I may not get them). They've stepped FAR too backward for my tastes. I already have almost all of the 80s figures (only missing six characters, not including a few variants), I have no need nor desire to buy the exact same versions of those characters again, especially at $20 a pop plus shipping. And I don't care what anyone says, I hate the way super articulated figures look. I'll just stick with my 200X figures and be happy with those I guess, and try to pick up the couple of stactions I still want.

Oh well, I can't afford to full out collect another line right now anyway, so at least I'm not missing out on something I'd really want.
    Last edited by VaderLives; August 7, 2008 at 09:46pm.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Not really THAT impressed but I'm gonna wait and see. I'm still supporting this line without a doubt!!!

I don't get what was so incredibly awesome about the 200X He-Man and Skeletor figures. They were both skinny hunchbacks with poor articulation IMO.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

That is so sweet. Cannot wait to have the magazine and then the actual figure
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Wow. Captures the classic feel, but that face gives you shivers. Perfect updating. October seems so far off...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

VaderLives:

If this line isn't your thing I can totally understand that.
    If you don't like what you see, don't buy them! That's totally cool.
    I obviously don't agree with your sentiments on the line, but we're all free to our opinions.

But I've got to ask you, do you have the King Grayskull figure? (I'm guessing no.)

Looking at the KG figure next to the classic line is amazing to me.
    It get's me all the more excited for this line!

These new figures are everything you wanted the old figures to be.
    They sport better proportions. They sport great articulation that doesn't hinder the flow of the sculpt. They sport more detail and great paint applications. And they're not just a little taller, KG towers over the original line!!!

I personnally can't wait to see MotUC He-Man next to the original He-Man! And see the figure I wanted the original to be when I was a kid! (Dang artist kid recognized back then that He-Man's proportions were wrong. )

But that's me. It's part of why I love this new line so much. That's to say, for me, having the old figures won't even begin to stop me from collecting this line.

Skeletor looks AMAZING! Again, JUST like the cardback, and I LOVE IT!!!
    Christmas will be AWESOME! (I can already guarantee he will be my stocking stuffer.)

Thanks Mattel!
    Thanks Four Horsemen!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Slayor View Post
    I don't get what was so incredibly awesome about the 200X He-Man and Skeletor figures. They were both skinny hunchbacks with poor articulation.
    Yeah, um, the 200X Skeletor is supposed to be skinny. He's a frickin' skeleton for crying out loud.
    His skin is just hanging on his bones. Which is creepy as all hell, and quite awesome. And the face, well, there's just no comparison. The 200X head actually looks like he would be the most evil creature in the universe, which is EXACTLY what this character should be IMO.

Yeah the 200X He-Man missed the mark, which is why the MOTUC He-Man is the only one of these figures I like. But the 200X Skeletor was simply perfect.

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

has too many toys. The Trollan Stud's Avatar
    Nice. I like it a lot.

The original Skeletor was my very first action figure, so I'm getting this one.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Original Skeletor...

I really hate to say it, but I'm underwhelmed. MOTUC He-Man, Beastman and Mer-Man rock, Zodak is vintage Zodak, but Skeletor? It's like if 200X's Skelly is to Arnold like 80's Skeletor is to Danny Devito. Definitely Skeletor though...

I dunno...I guess Skeletor showcases MOTUC's glaring weakness...if there is a character whose 8 back artwork pretty much looked the exact same way as the original toy, then it's basically nothing new, just the 80's toys with better articulation. The equivalent of MOTUC phoning it in. I'm not saying it's terrible or anything, just not as awesome as Mer-Man was.

If I had to rate them form best to worst...

Mer-Man
    Beastman
    He-Man
    Zodak
    Skeletor

Maybe I gotta see some more pictures...I hate to be a storm cloud. I'd still get him though.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 7, 2008 at 10:27pm.

VaderLives:

I was always under the impression Skeletor's head was the only skeleton part. His body seemed pretty normal. Since when was he completely a skeleton? The 200X figure sure portrayed Skeletor to be just a skull on a body.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I dunno...I guess Skeletor showcases MOTUC's glaring weakness...if there is a character whose 8 back artwork pretty much looked the exact same way as the original toy, then it's basically nothing new, just the 80's toys with better articulation. The equivalent of MOTUC phoning it in. I'm not saying it's terrible or anything, just not as awesome as Mer-Man was.
    Wait, I'm trying to follow your logic...
    You thought Merman was "awesome"... Yet he's exactly as he was on the 8-back.

You think this Skeletor show's MotUC's Weakness" in that he looks like he did on the 8-back.

Thus by your logic. To be awesome... Is to be weak?

That NOT make any sense to anyone else?

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

You think this Skeletor show's MotUC's Weakness" is that he looks like he did on the 8-back.

not clear what he meant? he basically says that MotUC Mer-Man is awesome, because it really looks new/fresh. MotUC Skeletor however according to his opinion isn't different enough from the original 80s figure, so he finds too little originality-factor in MotUC Skeletor and lacking originality whenever the original toy didn't differ too much from the cardback-art he considers the weakness of MotUC.

I however don't agree. I had the same first impression, but then looking more closely made up my mind. There are major differences - just compare the heads for example. I love the new head! Armor and Loincloth however I'm not too sure about, but the head is awesome!! As far as loincloth and armor are concerned I need to see more pictures to say, but it'll take a while until the issue is imported too Germany...

edDy
    Last edited by Evil Ed; August 7, 2008 at 10:21pm.
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

MegaGearMax:

Thing is when you compare that pic, of the statue to the MOTUC figure ofcourse the statue is going to blow the new figure away. Your comparing a $200 plus statue to a $20 plus figure.

Both are awesome in their own rights
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

I LOVE Skeletor! I really like that he is Mer-Man's body with different armour and a new head (and weapons... and different colours.) Looking at Mer-Man and Zodac again totally gives me a great idea of what this Skeletor looks like.

SOLD!!! and CRAZY excited! I can't wait for this line! My birthday is in November and then Christmas is right around the corner. I KNOW what I'm getting! I just have to convince "the Wife" that she should get me "more" than just "my He-Mans"...

just the 80's toys with better articulation.
    I have no problem with opinions or people not liking the new line or people preferring the 200x line over these, but this is the sentiment I just don't get.

The MOTUC figures don't look anything like the classic figures - but with better articulation.

Is a Bob Kane drawing of Batman the same as a Jim Lee drawing of Batman the same as a Frank Miller drawing of Batman - just because they all have the same costume?

Night and day (and Skeletor is just as dramatic - I just can't post anything else I may have...):

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

You think this Skeletor show's MotUC's Weakness" is that he looks like he did on the 8-back.

I'll explain. MOTUC Mer-Man and Beastman were basically something new because the vintage line couldn't follow the 8 back exactly and the 4H wasn't trying to create the 8 back in 2002. Those characters were something that I haven't seen before in plastic.

However, Skeletor, He-Man (once you get past the "He's back" factor) and even Zodak to a smaller extent are seemingly nothing to get real excited about. Like I've said before if the 8 back matches the action figure, then there really isn't much room for any improvement, save articulation.

Mer-Man, Beastman, Teela and Man-At-Arms will most likely be the most impressive figures to me, because their original figures didn't match the 8 packs exactly and actually will be a little different from the ones that I've owned since 82. Do you understand me better?

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I have no problem with opinions or people not liking the new line or people preferring the 200x line over these, but this is the sentiment I just don't get.

The MOTUC figures don't look anything like the classic figures - but with better articulation.

Is a Bob Kane drawing of Batman the same as a Jim Lee drawing of Batman the same as a Frank Miller drawing of Batman - just because they all have the same costume?

Night and day:
    I know this. I said I liked Mer-Man and Beast Man... they are the best shining examples of MOTUC. Everyone else so far isn't as impressive because there isn't nothing new to enhance save articulation. Now Man-At-Arms and Teela ougth to be really good.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 7, 2008 at 10:26pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Original Skeletor...

That's the dog's ******** right there.

Why argue? 200x Skeletor is AMAZING!!! One of the coolest figures ever; except when they went crazy with that black-wash! HOWEVER; 1981 Skeletor was also awesome, I loved the painting on the head, who would ever think a guy decked out in baby blue and purple would be so evil? Great figure, and yea he's not a sculptured masterpiece, he's still great. MOTUC is yet another very cool version. Yea his head is larger than 2002, more like 81, but still looks solid. I'm sure the colors will pop just like the vintage line; which I personally think was a strong point back then. I'm not let down because I don't really have any expectations. I look at the guys and usually say, wow pretty cool, can't wait to see what else they come up with. Whatever MOTUC offers, I still have 80's and 2002-3 which I really like. I'm excited and I like it. yea I have personal aspects of each figure that I think would make them perfect, but I'm not the artist creating these. I respect that 4H and their continuing vision, respect them as artists. They have presented us with 2 versions of these iconic characters, good for them, better for all of us!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

I know this. I said I liked Mer-Man and Beast Man... they are the best shining examples of MOTUC.
    And I see the same thing in He-Man and Skeletor. It's night and day between the originals and the MOTUC figures.

If this line isn't your thing I can totally understand that.
    If you don't like what you see, don't buy them! That's totally cool.
    I obviously don't agree with your sentiments on the line, but we're all free to our opinions.
    Well we're on the same page, then. I just want to reply to a few of your points.

But I've got to ask you, do you have the King Grayskull figure? (I'm guessing no.)
    Nope, not interested in the character (and it's a good thing too because I wouldn't have been able to get him anyway). I'm just waiting for He-Man.

These new figures are everything you wanted the old figures to be.
    Actually, the old figures are everything I wanted the old figures to be. I think they're perfect the way they are. The first action figure I ever owned was Mekaneck, and I've been into MOTU ever since (obviously). I LOVE the vintage figures, and I think that overall they're the best series of action figures ever made.

That being said, however, I've said this before but the 200X series is, in terms of character design, my definitive version of MOTU. Those designs for these characters - particularly the villains - are just so unbelievably awesome, badass doesn't even begin to describe it. I mean, with the exception of He-Man and Rattlor, they hit the ball so far out of the park with the 200X character designs that I don't think anything could impress me more than those. But I still would have liked to see something new out of this line, rather than just a straight replication of the '80s figures. I can understand how some people would want that, but that's just not my thing. As I said, I already have the '80s figures and don't want to buy them again.

Now what I really can't wait for are figures from the new movie, whenever that hopefully gets made.

They sport great articulation that doesn't hinder the flow of the sculpt.
    Gonna have to respectfully disagree with you there. Whenever I look at Zodak or Mer Man, or Skeletor now, all I see is unnatural mid-bicep joint, awkward gap in the abs, etc. That's how it is with all super articulated figures and I absolutely cannot stand it. That's why I stopped collecting Star Wars, that's why I only own five Marvel Legends figures, and that's one of the reasons why I don't want to collect this line.

But yeah, that's all my opinion, and I'm glad people are happy with this new line. For now, I'll just hold out for the new movie designs. Hopefully those will be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayor View Post
    I was always under the impression Skeletor's head was the only skeleton part. His body seemed pretty normal. Since when was he completely a skeleton? The 200X figure sure portrayed Skeletor to be just a skull on a body.
    In the episode "Price of Deceit" when we see Keldor's final transformation into Skeletor his body rots away until it's basicaly just skin on his bones. Which is what the figure looks like.
    Last edited by VaderLives; August 7, 2008 at 10:41pm.

-Harvey Dent

OMG!! They look exactly the same!!

...or not.
    Last edited by Slayor; August 7, 2008 at 10:39pm.

I wish they'd just pick a style and stick with it to the end. They're all cool, don't get me wrong. It's just ... expensive ... if you want all the characters on display to look like they're from the same line.