Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Why do B vitamins make you hungry?

  1. #1
    Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Rainbowland of course!
    Posts
    7,888

    Why do B vitamins make you hungry?

    I've been feeling a bit fatigued lately and thought taking a B-complex might help, so yesterday morning I took this one. Problem is, I started feeling ravenously hungry halfway through the morning, and again at night. And it only helped my energy level for maybe 2 hours early in the morning - after that I felt like I'd "crashed" and was tired the rest of the day.

    Any ideas why?

  2. #2
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    What exactly are you eating along with those B-vitamins?


    This is news to me.





    Something is spiking your blood sugar (When it drops suddenly, you feel hungry.)

  3. #3
    Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    5,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    I've been feeling a bit fatigued lately and thought taking a B-complex might help, so yesterday morning I took this one. Problem is, I started feeling ravenously hungry halfway through the morning, and again at night. And it only helped my energy level for maybe 2 hours early in the morning - after that I felt like I'd "crashed" and was tired the rest of the day.

    Any ideas why?
    It kind of sounds a bit like reactive hypoglycemia, which I have. You have mentioned before that you had issues with blood sugar, so this is not terribly surprising. I find both my fatigue and the hunger is helped if I eat something high in protein, like almonds, for a snack about halfway through the morning.

    Concentration improved a lot when I started doing that too.

  4. #4
    Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Rainbowland of course!
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    It kind of sounds a bit like reactive hypoglycemia, which I have. You have mentioned before that you had issues with blood sugar, so this is not terribly surprising. I find both my fatigue and the hunger is helped if I eat something high in protein, like almonds, for a snack about halfway through the morning.

    Concentration improved a lot when I started doing that too.
    Since I started taking cinnamon supplements, the blood sugar thing hasn't really been an issue. But it's almost like these B vitamins brought it back full force. Weird!

  5. #5
    Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    5,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    Since I started taking cinnamon supplements, the blood sugar thing hasn't really been an issue. But it's almost like these B vitamins brought it back full force. Weird!
    How much cinnamon do you take to stabilize it? I would love to try that. It's hard to keep your weight down when you have to snack all the time.

  6. #6
    Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Rainbowland of course!
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    How much cinnamon do you take to stabilize it? I would love to try that. It's hard to keep your weight down when you have to snack all the time.
    Start out with 500mg. For awhile, that was all I needed. Eventually, some of the cravings started coming back, so I upped my dosage to 1,000mg, but now I'm good again. From what I've read, it's best to stay at 1,000mg or less, because higher levels can have blood-thinning effects.

    I think I found the answer to the B vitamin mystery:

    "Anyone suffering from low blood sugar episodes should avoid larger amounts of Vitamin B6 and C, which can cause blood sugar to drop even more."

    "Unless someone is certain that they exhibit a chemical profile which would benefit from a higher B-complex intake, I would personally stay on the safe side and not exceed a 10 -15mg range."

    http://www.acu-cell.com/bx.html

    And here I was taking 100+ mg/mcg of the stuff, as my multi-vitamin has some in it too! Won't be doing that again...

  7. #7
    Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    5,578
    Cool. Thanks. Did you only experience cravings, or did you get the dizziness, fuzzy thought, rotten temper and tunnel vision package as well? Because I got the whole schmear.

  8. #8
    Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Rainbowland of course!
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Cool. Thanks. Did you only experience cravings, or did you get the dizziness, fuzzy thought, rotten temper and tunnel vision package as well? Because I got the whole schmear.
    It's hard to say what's attributed to what for me, but the cinnamon has helped a lot with my feelings of extreme hunger, to the point of my stomach hurting - which, in turn, made me irritable if I couldn't eat something right away to relieve it. I've also lost 8 pounds since I started taking it

  9. #9
    Wise Old Trollan Uncle Montork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,741
    Good to hear you found out what it was, Katy.... else I was starting to think you were pregnant...
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

  10. #10
    Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Rainbowland of course!
    Posts
    7,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Good to hear you found out what it was, Katy.... else I was starting to think you were pregnant...
    LOL Nah, that won't be until next year at the earliest

  11. #11
    Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    5,578
    You might want to watch your blood sugar when you do - even women with no sugar issues are known to get gestational diabetes.

  12. #12
    Live Free or Die Lord Eternos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    5,600
    I think B-vitamins jump start your metabolism...kind of like exercise does. And like a heavy work out, you feel great immediately afterwards, then pass out a lil bit later. At least I do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •