View Poll Results: Mature MOTUC DVD or Webisodes?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea! Eternians carry weapons for a reason...

171 64.04%
  • Nay! MOTU must remian a bloodless fantasy!

77 28.84%
  • Other!

19 7.12%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Resolute?

Heroic Warrior BIG DADDY SINISTER's Avatar
    I for one loved GI Joe Resolute. It only makes sense that a storyline based around a military unit composed of the most supremely skilled (read: deadly) soldiers in the United States, facing off against a truly "ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world" would feature at least some casualties and deaths. These are military units made up of Commandos, Green Berets, Marines, Army Rangers, Navy SEALS, and freakin' NINJAS fergoshsakes! Somebody not getting a serious boo-boo every now and then is totally unrealistic, and many people are going to die.

This is perhaps even more true for the Masters of the Universe world. This is a feudal society, driven by whomever happens to have the superior force, either in magic, technology, manpower or a combination of these factors. Randor didn't become king through election: he was appointed king by the all powerful Elders because of his effective defense of Eternia, and by his willingness to melt his own half brother's face off in the course of doing so. MOTU is a world of violence, where the forces of evil lurk around every corner, ready to strike at the heart of all that's good at any moment, and the defenders of Eternia have to be efficient and effective in countering and returning that violence to thwart that evil and save lives. As has been said, the defenders carry those nasty weapons for a reason, and they know how to use them supremely well.

That being said, I'm still not a fan of turning He-Man into a bloodthirsty warrior. That is entirely contrary to his whole being. The Sorceress and the power of Grayskull chose Adam to be He-Man because of his reverence for life and love of peace. The He-Man I've known for nearly thirty years would never intentionally kill an enemy unless there was absolutely no other option, and would certainly not engage in gratuitous brutality or excessive force to induce fear or for his own amusement. That's the whole point of He-Man: he has the power to pretty much rip anybody apart, but the conscience and goodness to never even consider it.
    That being said, if they did opt to crank out a more mature version of MOTU, I would definitely be in favor of seeing the violence amped up a bit, if it was germaine to the story and the furtherence of characters. I would definitely take the threat of Skeltor's minions more seriously if I saw the likes of Trap Jaw and Clawful shred a few palace guards or even innocent villagers. But I don't necessarily need to see ridiculously over-the-top blood splattering to get that point across. I want to see Man At Arms and Mekaneck crack some heads with those big nasty blunt objects they spin around like batons, but I don't need to see a Tri-Klops' brains pour out of his head when they nail him. The MYP show did have moments where they sold the potential danger of violence well, as when Tri-Klops nearly killed Teela with an optic blast in "The Ties That Bind", or Man At Arms' near death at the hands of poisonous squid in "The Island". Raise that violence level a couple of notches, add a few deaths of guards, one shot warlords/henchmen, other cannon fodder and the occassional innocent civilian, and that would be enough for me. But I never want to see He-Man become Conan.
    Last edited by BIG DADDY SINISTER; June 22, 2010 at 05:10pm.
    "Who do you pray to... when you're the religion?" - THOR

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    MOTU doesn't need blood and gore necessarily, but a little more action and violence wouldn't hurt the equation. I'm a big fan of martial arts, sword play, etc and I'd love to see an MOTU cartoon in the same style as G.I.Joe Resolute.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Does GI Joe Resolute have any story because as far as I can see it's just an excuse to give us a more violent GI Joe?!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

The main plot of G.I. Joe Resolute was the obvious and necessary scenario of Cobra doing something bad to take over the world, and the Joes doing the requisite heroic deeds of derring do to stop them. That is a given. But there were also a number of interesting subplots within the course of the main story, like the flashbacks which fleshed out Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow's history, the potential love triangle between Duke, Scarlett and Snake Eyes, and the revelation of Cobra Commander's change from a goofy non-threat to a cold and caluculating mastermind willing to kill anyone to get his way. It's not Shakespeare, but the story's at least as good as the best we've seen in the cheesy '80s days, and at least as deep as MOTU, classic and MYP.

Back to the matter at hand: for you guys who are for sex in MOTU, what exactly did you folks have in mind? A blossoming romance between Adam and/or He-Man that is consumated in a XXX throwdown? Evil-Lyn having a hot tryst with Tri-Klops in Snake Mountain? Or perhaps the lonely Sorceress summoning Deliver-Or, Eternian Pizza Boy to Castle Grayskull, to satisfy a "late-night craving"? To be honest, I really don't see how that element would work here...
    Last edited by BIG DADDY SINISTER; June 22, 2010 at 05:06pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG DADDY SINISTER View Post
    Tha being said, I'm still not a fan of turning He-Man into a bloodthirsty warrior. That is entirely contrary to his whole being. The Sorceress and the power of Grayskull chose Adam to be He-Man because of his reverence for life and love of peace. The He-Man I've known for nearly thirty years would never intentionally kill an enemy unless there was absolutely no other option, and would certainly not engage in gratuitous brutality or excessive force to induce fear or for his own amusement. That's the whole point of He-Man: he has the power to pretty much rip anybody apart, but the conscience and goodness to never even consider it.
    That being said, if they did opt to crank out a more mature version of MOTU, I would definitely be in favor of seeing the violence amped up a bit, if it was germaine to the story and the furtherence of characters. I would definitely take the threat of Skeltor's minions more seriously if I saw the likes of Trap Jaw and Clawful shred a few palace guards or even innocent villagers. But I don't necessarily need to see ridiculously over-the-top blood splattering to get that point across. I want to see Man At Arms and Mekaneck crack some heads with those big nasty blunt objects they spin around like batons, but I don't need to see a Tri-Klops' brains pour out of his head when they nail him. The MYP show did have moments where they sold the potential danger of violence well, as when Tri-Klops nearly killed Teela with an optic blast in "The Ties That Bind", or Man At Arms' near death at the hands of poisonous squid in "The Island". Raise that violence level a couple of notches, add a few deaths of guards, one shot warlords/henchmen, other cannon fodder and the occassional innocent civilian, and that would be enough for me. But I never want to see He-Man become Conan.

I'd rather have He-Man closer to Conan than Superman. He-Man has killed...monsters at least. Or is this Oo-Larr?

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Does GI Joe Resolute have any story because as far as I can see it's just an excuse to give us a more violent GI Joe?!
    Warren Ellis wrote it. I thought it was Hasbro taking a stab at more mature direct to video programming with an experiment that addresses the hokiness of the original Sunbow cartoon.

The only real bad thing I hated in Resolute was when Duke and Scarlett were firing at COBRA troopers while surrounded by them--and they weren't getting hit by bullets! I thought this was the whole point of Resolute...people don't parachute out in time, troopers get shot, etc.

Back to the matter at hand: for you guys who are for sex in MOTU, what exactly did you folks have in mind? A blossoming romance between Adam and/or He-Man that is consumated in a XXX throwdown? Evil-Lyn having a hot tryst with Tri-Klops in Snake Mountain? Or perhaps the lonely Sorceress summoning Deliver-Or, Eternian Pizza Boy to Castle Grayskull, to satisfy a "late-night craving"? To be honest, I really don't see how that element would work here...
    He-Man and Teela having a tender love scene in a bearskin blanket by the fire perhaps? A Keldor and Evil-Lyn "Make me feel good!" scene? Maybe a Randor and Marlena love scene?

Or maybe a Conan-esque love scene with He-Man and Evil-Lyn, where he throws her into the fire afterwards!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 22, 2010 at 02:08pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Yes, please! We need to thin out the waves of lameness in the MOTU universe. Widgets, Twiggets, cutesy sidekicks and the like. Make the villains really evil and despicable. Entities to be truly feared and scorned. Kill some semi-main characters so you don't know for sure if the "heroes" will triumph intact. Mix it up! I mean, all that power on both sides and nobody dies. Come on!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

I'd rather have He-Man closer to Conan than Superman. He-Man has killed...monsters at least. Or is this Oo-Larr?

Good point, but my money's on that being Oo-Lar. Exchange "Skeletor" for "Cygor", or maybe "Prahvus" and it works. "Jungle He-Man", Wun-Dar and God knows who else were not Adam, the Chosen One, so that's why it was cool for them to kill. Or perhaps their willingness to kill was why they weren't chosen?

Or maybe a Conan-esque love scene with He-Man and Evil-Lyn, where he throws her into the fire afterwards!
    That's GOLD. The ultimate in "safe sex". Why you're not working for Hallmark I have no idea.
    Last edited by BIG DADDY SINISTER; June 22, 2010 at 02:21pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Yes, please! Make the villains really evil and despicable. Entities to be truly feared and scorned. Kill some semi-main characters so you don't know for sure if the "heroes" will triumph intact. Mix it up! I mean, all that power on both sides and nobody dies. Come on!
    Yes, exactly. I want to see some of what we saw in MYP Creations' "Icons of Evil", where we saw Beast Man, Tri-Klops, Kronis (Trap Jaw) and even to a degree Mer-Man as feared, dangerous beings who took lives and caught the notice of the power hungry Keldor as the guys who could help him get the nasty jobs done. We don't need a horrific body count every epsiode, but there should be a few instances here and there where we see what happens when the likes of Whiplash, Clawful or Two-Bad are unleashed against a poor, defenseless town and He-Man and the Masters don't get there in time.
    Last edited by BIG DADDY SINISTER; June 22, 2010 at 05:06pm.

sex! death! family-fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Yes, please! We need to thin out the waves of lameness in the MOTU universe. .... Come on!
    Exactly. More killing please, greater horrors. Desperation. Despair. Something to actually risk your life against. Gore is something a clever writer/director/artist can use well - it can help to show that the villains are truly terrible & the heros' fight comes at terrible cost. LOTR-esq battles for MOTU would play out nicely.

Yes - kill off a few characters (every-one has a suggestion!).

I see it now... Skeletor's armies having encroached upon enemy lands, his troops rounding up Wiggets, Twiggets & Trollans into extermination camps, his skull & cross-bones flag flying high.... over Eternia, a black smoke swirls, carrying their screams....

Genocide is one of the drivers of war-fare. I don't see Eternians fighting over economics, so aside from "ideological" reasons to kill people, there's always ambition & religion (seomthing which doesn't feature much in MOTU). Skeletor could have a ton of reasons to commit atrocities & there's plenty of cutsey cannon-fodder in the MOTU world to wipe out. He-Man would have a very interesting time taking down these lethal, ruthless enemies without slaying them too.

& please, no robots full of springs.

As for sex/love-interest, this is easy. Teela could have anyone interested in her which would allow a story that shows her torn between her love & her destiny (always a good one).

I saw Adam as having to remain pure (virginal) as well as non-violent to be able to be He-Man. This would cause more friction & rumour at court (will he marry & have an heir?) & put him in the same "love or destiny" problem as Teela. Then again, he COULD be in love, only to find that his girlfriend isn't quite who he thought (turns out to be someone who later becomes Catra, or whoever, & he has to fight her).

Man-At-Arms having unrequited feelings for the Sorceress is another good one.

Perhaps one of the evil warriors motivated by love? Perhaps Mer-Man is seeking to conquer the oceans because it gives him more eggs to spray his "fertiliser" on, like a good fish should.... Plenty of scope!

In the end though, MOTU must SELL & to do that you need to target as broad an audience as possible. So expect more Widgets.

++++++++++++++++++++++
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; June 22, 2010 at 02:40pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    As for sex/love-interest, this is easy. Teela could have anyone interested in her which would allow a story that shows her torn between her love & her destiny (always a good one). I saw Adam as having to remain pure (virginal) as well as non-violent to be able to be He-Man. This would cause more friction & rumour at court (will he marry & have an heir?) & put him in the same "love or destiny" problem as Teela. Then again, he COULD be in love, only to find that his girlfriend isn't quite who he thought (turns out to be someone who later becomes Catra, or whoever, & he has to fight her).
    All good ideas for the romantic aspect, but what else should we expect from an Eternian Poet?

They sort of touched on those themes a few times in MYP: Ram Man was pretty much seduced by a disguised Evil-Lyn in "Siren's Song", the Sorceress' repressed and secret love for her "lost" husband, and Evil-Lyn basically joining Keldor's group (as opposed to continuing on her own) because she had the hots for his blue bod. None of these cases depicted sexual contact, but it was definitely implied in subtext, and we all realized the Sorceress and that soldier didn't conceive Teela by just holding hands!

I'm of the camp that we don't really need to see Teela and Adam or whomever actually bumping and grinding per se, but a scene where they first talk, then cut to a shot of the two retiring to a bedchamber hand in hand before closing the door, or we see a silhouette of the two coming together and embracing before the lights go fully out would work pretty well. Seeing the two some time later in bed, discreetly covered by a sheet would artfully and tastefully depict a very powerful, mature scenario.
    Last edited by BIG DADDY SINISTER; June 22, 2010 at 05:05pm.

Yes, exactly. I want to see some of what we saw in MVP Creations' "Icons of Evil", where we saw Beast Man, Tri-Klops, Kronis (Trap Jaw) and even to a degree Mer-Man as feared, dangerous beings who took lives and caught the notice of the power hungry Keldor as the guys who could help him get the nasty jobs done. We don't need a horrific body count every epsiode, but there should be a few instances here and there where we see what happens when the likes of Whiplash, Clawful or Two-Bad are unleashed against a poor, defenseless town and He-Man and the Masters don't get there in time.
    I always loved the MVP Creations depiction of the Evil Warriors in the first issue of the second mini-series, with the evil MAA. They took delight in slaughtering the Eternian guards and would have killed more if He-Man didn't show up. Mad props to Val and Emilliano for making these guys VILLAINS! Trap Jaw was particularly gruesome as he kept killing guards...maybe it was a nod to his mini-comic roots as a hardened intergalactic criminal. I also liked how MAA and He-Man swore to bring those guys to justice for all the deaths that day.

All good ideas for the romantic aspect, but what else should we expect from an Eternian Poet?

They sort of touched on those themes a few times in MVP: Ram Man was pretty much seduced by a disguised Evil-Lyn in "Siren's Song", the Sorceress' repressed and secret love for her "lost" husband, and Evil-Lyn basically joining Keldor's group (as opposed to continuing on her own) because she had the hots for his blue bod. None of these cases depicted sexual contact, but it was definitely implied in subtext, and we all realized the Sorceress and that soldier didn't conceive Teela by just holding hands!
    There was also The Beginning part three, where Teela is immediately impressed upon first seeing He-Man. They didn't really do any more with this "crush" on He-Man, though.

I'm of the camp that we don't really need to see Teela and Adam or whomever actually bumping and grinding per se, but a scene where they first talk, then cut to a shot of the two retiring to a bedchamber hand in hand before closing the door, or we see a silhouette of the two coming together and embracing before the lights go fully out would work pretty well. Seeing the two some time later in bed, discreetly covered by a sheet would artfully and tastefully depict a very powerful, mature scenario.
    Yes we do!!!
    We need to see a "Notorious" like sex scene with Teela atop He-Man like Lil' Kim and Biggie!
    And a bedchamber? I'd have them under a tree or something, like Spartacus! ROFLMAO!!!

In all seriousness, I do agree. That would be a pretty good scene. Cue the love theme from the soundtrack.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 22, 2010 at 02:53pm.

They sort of touched on those themes a few times in MVP...

I'm of the camp that we don't really need to see Teela and Adam or whomever actually bumping and grinding per se.... artfully and tastefully depict a very powerful, mature scenario.
    Thanks.

Good point on MVP.

Nice suggestion about artful & tasteful. I totally agree. We don't need barbarian porn to represent relationships of this kind. Hell, there's enough sweating, heaving, flesh as it is.

What would be interesting in the relationship is the RELATIONSHIP. There are so many dynamics & conflicts that can be made out of feelings of love/desire. I'd prefer if cliches were avoided. You could stamp ETERNIA all over a love affair, given enough imagination - ensure that the tensions involved are familiar, yet not mundane.

Same can be said for any violence. Gore isn't necessary - but deaths most certainly are. Again, if you don't make the violence too explicit, you can get away with a lot of it.

+++++++++++++++++++
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

Nice suggestion about artful & tasteful. I totally agree. We don't need barbarian porn to represent relationships of this kind. Hell, there's enough sweating, heaving, flesh as it is.
    Where is this?!!

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah lets see some Evil-Lynn whip action.

We need to see a "Notorious" like sex scene with Teela atop He-Man like Lil' Kim and Biggie!
    And a bedchamber? I'd have them under a tree or something, like Spartacus! ROFLMAO!!!
    Yes, I've always seen Adam as the "outdoorsy" type when it comes to the nasty. We always see him lying on a bed of hay in the stables or somesuch- possibly recovering from his latest tryst. I could definitely see he an Teela get it on with some spontaneous barnyard action!

Can one of you dedicated historians out there verify this? I could have sworn there was a scene in the old comics, either a mini or a DC, where Adam is seen carousing with some scantily dressed "pimbos" (palace bimbos), and Man At Arms chides him for his skirt chasing. As a kid, I remember thinking: "He doesn't seem all that gay to me!"

animated characters having sexual relations feels a little odd to me? But I like the romance thing
    MOST WANTED MOTUC FIGURES : MELAKTHA MADAME RAZZ FILMATION HORDAK PEEKABLUE MERMISTA QUEEN ANGELLA LIZARD MAN PERFUMA EVILSEED DREE ELLE VULTAK
    HUNGA SWEETBEE RED KNIGHT GENERAL SUNDAR GWILDOR SAUROD LOO-KEE FLUTTERINA SPINERELLA CATRA CAT FORM FILMATION SKELETOR

Quote Originally Posted by PaulPjas View Post
    animated characters having sexual relations feels a little odd to me? But I like the romance thing
    Don't judge: baby animated characters gotta come from somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulPjas View Post
    You need to watch Ninja Scroll.

Can one of you dedicated historians out there verify this? I could have sworn there was a scene in the old comics, either a mini or a DC, where Adam is seen carousing with some scantily dressed "pimbos" (palace bimbos), and Man At Arms chides him for his skirt chasing. As a kid, I remember thinking: "He doesn't seem all that gay to me!"

Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 22, 2010 at 10:27pm.

Thanks for that, MGM! I was beiginning to think I was going crazy there!

Prince Adam sure was cooler back then.

tee-hee!

If there is ever a MOTU "resolute" please let it include this scene, or at least Adam saying this line:

"Er... not now, woman..."

very funny!

What comic is that from, anyway? DC?
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; June 23, 2010 at 02:02pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    My answer is yes, eventually.

Gi Joe Resolute is one of many Gi Joe toons and entertainment properties.
    I like How Hasbro puts out multiple incarnations of their properties to allow a broad range of people to enjoy them.

MOTU, in my opinion, has not had enough entertainment done int he classic, nostalgic way for the masses to jump into a niche show like this.

Perhaps if we had a more kid friendly toon running again, got the movie, etc., this would be a nice side project.

That said I actually always have enjoyed the innocence of the filmation toon, and felt the MYP version amped things up enough to make it modern. I'm perfectly content to keep things the way they have been.

At this point though, anything would be nice!

What comic is that from, anyway? DC?
    Yup. The first issue of the 3 part mini-series. The same issue that has Teela wearing the "barbarian bikini" before she wears her normal outfit in the second issue.

Not for me. As a Filmation fan, it would ruin the entire thing in my eyes.

I often found the violence in the MYP cartoon far too heavy. As for it being more 'realistic', I couldn't agree less- being smashed through several consecutive brick walls and getting up like nothing has happened ain't exactly true to life.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    I often found the violence in the MYP cartoon far too heavy. As for it being more 'realistic', I couldn't agree less- being smashed through several consecutive brick walls and getting up like nothing has happened ain't exactly true to life.
    That has been a bone of contention with me as well vis-a-vis 80's action cartoon properties like MOTU, G.I. Joe, Transformers and such. Some of the most powerful and dangerous people in the world, if not the universe, constantly waging heated battle against each other, and nobody ever gets killed, or even seriously hurt. That sends the wrong message to younger viewers- you can swing all the heavy bladed weapons at other people you want and shoot off lasers willy-nilly, and nobody will suffer. Kids need to know that violence has consequences, and need to be ingrained with a healthy respect for dangerous weapons and people.

I remember the hullabaloo when the Transformers animated movie came out, with the massacre of the Autobots, among them the beloved Optimus Prime. It was a huge shock to fans young and old, as no mainstream animated program had ever depicted the effects of full-scale war- mass casualties.

I felt that the MYP show was miles ahead of Filmation in realistically depicting violence. Quite a few episodes featured a major or minor character getting wounded in battle, some nearly to the point of death (Man-At-Arms, Teela, The Sorceress, Keldor). We never saw blood or severed limbs, but it definitely upped the realism factor far beyond the saccharine violence of the 80's.

Keep in mind that many of the characters on Eternia are beings posessed of far more power and sometimes physical durability. Even warriors like Mekaneck and Tri-Klops, who are certainly not on the physical level of He-Man, are far less vulnerable to injury than common Earth beings. Ram Man's whole gimmick is smashing through walls with his head: he can shrug off some considerably violent impact- to a degree.

Heroic Warrior
    I voted Nay.

It's worked so far.