View Poll Results: Mature MOTUC DVD or Webisodes?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea! Eternians carry weapons for a reason...

171 64.04%
  • Nay! MOTU must remian a bloodless fantasy!

77 28.84%
  • Other!

19 7.12%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Resolute?

Heroic Warrior BIG DADDY SINISTER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I voted Nay.
    It's worked so far.
    True, but we've all progressed beyond the age of eight, haven't we? And a nostalgic longing for the days of Rubik's Cubes and Spaghetti-Os will take a toy line only so far.

I do like the MOTU classics, but at this point I have definitely spent more of my hard earned cash on the 200x line than it. A toy line needs to adapt and mature as its audience does if it is to continue to prosper. MOTU Classics has prospered, and despite the fact that I personally am not as gung-ho about the line as others, I am glad it has, because its success helps perpetuate the longevity of the franchise. But as long as its core audience of 80s kids continues to age and mature in their tastes and sensibilities, for Masters of the Universe to become truly immortal, it must eventually grow up.
    Last edited by BIG DADDY SINISTER; June 23, 2010 at 10:50pm.
    "Who do you pray to... when you're the religion?" - THOR

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    YAAAAAA!!! The fans want to see blood and boobs!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

It does not need it...

But I am down for some sex and blood....maybe at the same time.....
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

Quote Originally Posted by He-Ryno View Post
    It does not need it...

But I am down for some sex and blood....maybe at the same time.....
    Blood covered boobies?! Man, you're hardcore!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I had to vote no. I want MOTU DVDs...but not with sex, blood and extreme violence.

MYP was awesome and had violence and even death in it. That's as far as I want it to go. I'm not a fan of where Conan goes, especially with regards to women.

If anyone has played the Conan PS3/XBOX 360 game and talks to a woman...you know what I mean!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I voted yes, but I was thinking more in terms of the violence in some of the mini-comics. Although I would like to see a more mature version for us adult fans, I don't want it to get out of hand.

No hyper violence. The fights shouldn't descend into an all out blood bath and the Masters shouldn't aim to kill. Even with an adult interpretation, to me they aren't killers. Not saying that people can't die in it, that's fine if it's called for. And no sex. I'm not a prude, but you know it would be mishandled. You'd have something as crass as Teela flashing Adam and proposing to sire some heirs round the back of the palace. Romance however is a different thing altogether as it seems like a natural progression for some character relationships, but it shouldn't get out of hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I like it to be done like the MVC comics that came out in 2002. It had violence injury & fatalities. there was even some mild sexually suggestive tones.

I strongly incurage you to to pick up some of those comics. the art & story are eye popping.

Yes I would love for the 2002 series to be finished with a few PG-13 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yup. The first issue of the 3 part mini-series. The same issue that has Teela wearing the "barbarian bikini" before she wears her normal outfit in the second issue.
    I HATED that Prince Adam. It's all wrong for his character. I also hate Tony Stark and some incarnations of Bruce Wayne.

They're all little boys with big egos who have no respect for women and treat them as some sort of commodity. This should never be Prince Adam.

What makes Adam special is his courage, intelligence, compassion and heart. Being a womanizer ruins him and he would NOT have been the candidate to weild the Power Sword. A womanizer is not pure of heart.

As for sex and blood: the Batman movies are pretty dark, but you don't see any sex and not a whole lot of blood (maybe in Dark Knight...I haven't seen it yet...don't ruin it for me! lol). Also, all of Spielberg's films have NEVER had any sex in them, yet almost all his movies are awesome and Academy Award winners.

Putting blood, guts and sex into MOTU would ruin it's charm and appeal and make it some generic warrior fantasy (in my opinion).
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 23, 2010 at 05:23pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I HATED that Prince Adam. It's all wrong for his character. I also hate Tony Stark and some incarnations of Bruce Wayne.

They're all little boys with big egos who have no respect for women and treat them as some sort of commodity. This should never be Prince Adam.

What makes Adam special is his courage, intelligence, compassion and heart. Being a womanizer ruins him and he would NOT have been the candidate to weild the Power Sword. A womanizer is not pure of heart.
    That was the original Adam. The first incarnations of those characters was a more PG-13 He-Man, as well as Prince Adam. In those comics, the Masters would routinely kill hordes of beastmen, mer-men and demons. Filmation is a G rated translation of those characters and made MOTU much lighter in tone.

Putting blood, guts and sex into MOTU would ruin it's charm and appeal and make it some generic warrior fantasy (in my opinion).
    Would it? The audience for MOTU is much older now. MOTU doesn't have to be so light hearted anymore because the target audience is watching 300, Rome and Spartacus.

Besides, you wanna see Glimmer burn out someone's retinas or Bow filling enemies with arrows.

Can't agree more. Adam to me is more altruistic than people like Tony Stark. Even with a darker thmed MOTU Adam should be the shining light that gives hope to Eternia just as much as He-man, but because of who he is and not what he does as He-man.

EDIT:

Would it? The audience for MOTU is much older now. MOTU doesn't have to be so light hearted anymore because the target audience is watching 300, Rome and Spartacus.

Besides, you wanna see Glimmer burn out someone's retina's or Bow filling enemies with arrows.
    Personally I don't equate blood and guts and violence as going hand in hand. The Batman movies are a good example. You can go pretty far without showing something too graphic.
    Last edited by Masamune; August 23, 2010 at 05:39pm.
    I hate you. So much.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    Personally I don't equate blood and guts and violence as going hand in hand. The Batman movies are a good example. You can go pretty far without showing something too graphic.
    I know. I'm just having fun with the topic.

MOTU was never that gory. But it did have plenty of "wenching".

I know. I'm just having fun with the topic.
    It's cool. I do that all the time msyelf.

MOTU was never that gory. But it did have plenty of "wenching".
    Hmm, I don't quite know what 'wenching' means, but I can imagine. Does it involve a Skele-pimp?
    I hate you. So much.

What is best in life?
    To crush your enemies and hear the lamentations of their women...
    Conan The Barbarian
    Ya Tengo El Poder!!!!!!

That was the original Adam. The first incarnations of those characters was a more PG-13 He-Man, as well as Prince Adam. In those comics, the Masters would routinely kill hordes of beastmen, mer-men and demons. Filmation is a G rated translation of those characters and made MOTU much lighter in tone.
    He was terrible. I stand by my comments. When I first read that comic (I can't remember my age), I gasped and said "what the hell is that?" and I think I stopped reading the comic, because I just didn't care anymore.

Yeah, pretty much. The most I would ever go for is Legend of the Seeker style. Have you ever seen that show? It's live action, basically MOTU and it's done very well.

Another well-done movie that's MOTU-like was Pathfinder. I think those would be how they should basically do the MOTU live action film.

Besides, you wanna see Glimmer burn out someone's retinas or Bow filling enemies with arrows.
    Glimmer: no. Her power shouldn't be used as a cruel torture measure. It sounds like you want to see Silent Hill or McFarlane's Twisted Fairytales as MOTU!

He was terrible. I stand by my comments. When I first read that comic (I can't remember my age), I gasped and said "what the hell is that?" and I think I stopped reading the comic, because I just didn't care anymore.
    Oooh! You cursed! PG-13 He-Man damaged you forever!

Glimmer: no. Her power shouldn't be used as a cruel torture measure. It sounds like you want to see Silent Hill or McFarlane's Twisted Fairytales as MOTU!
    Actually, like Rome, 300, Conan, Gladiator, Spartacus or the odd Mortal Kombat fatality. Maybe some Ninja Scroll...

I kid, I kid...I'm watching Rome's first season. I'm at the arena scene with Lucius Vorenus rescuing Titus Pullo and it's pretty graphic stuff...limbs getting hacked off by gladius or shield!

But seriously, I do think that if Eternians are carrying dangerous melee weapons, that they should be using them. I think the DC comics handled the violence pretty well, as that was the most violent MOTU has ever been.

Oooh! You cursed! PG-13 He-Man damaged you forever!

Actually, like Rome, 300, Conan, Gladiator, Spartacus or the odd Mortal Kombat fatality. Maybe some Ninja Scroll...
    That's the second time you mentioned Ninja Scroll. What is Ninja Scroll?!

I kid, I kid...I'm watching Rome's first season. I'm at the arena scene with Lucius Vorenus rescuing Titus Pullo and it's pretty graphic stuff...limbs getting hacked off by gladius or shield!
    That show seemed interesting, but I'm not into gore...which is why I never watched the Saw movies (something I wouldn't want Eternia turned into...with Skeletor doing that to the Masters). I did watch Hostel (without knowing what it was really about). The gore was extreme and there was no storyline!

When violence, sex and gore gets added in...it usually takes away storyline, diminishes it...or overpowers it.

But seriously, I do think that if Eternians are carrying dangerous melee weapons, that they should be using them. I think the DC comics handled the violence pretty well, as that was the most violent MOTU has ever been.
    They used their weapons in MYP. Also, having a weapon is for protection and a deterrent. I certainly wouldn't want to see everyone who owns a gun use it!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; August 23, 2010 at 07:25pm.

That's the second time you mentioned Ninja Scroll. What is Ninja Scroll?!
    Ninja Scroll is 1993 anime movie that takes place in fuedal Japan. A vagabond teams up with a diminutive govenment spy and a beautiful kunoichi (female ninja) while they are being pursued by 8 villains with strange powers. It has a great story about government intrigue, betrayal and tragedy along with graphic violence, nudity and adult situations. You should check it out, but don't have any kids around. Besides, you can't miss the 30 hit combo that Lord Gemna lays down on poor Jubei at the end. That and the vaginal snake...

That show seemed interesting, but I'm not into gore...which is why I never watched the Saw movies (something I wouldn't want Eternia turned into...with Skeletor doing that to the Masters). I did watch Hostel (without knowing what it was really about). The gore was extreme and there was no storyline!

When violence, sex and gore gets added in...it usually takes away storyline, diminishes it...or overpowers it.
    Rome has gore, sex and shocking scenes in that show but it's used sparringly (not every episode), but it's pretty good. Hostel and Saw are all about gore (although Saw does have a storyline, it's pretty convoluted and digs itself into a deeper hole every flick). I think Saw jumped the shark after number three.

They used their weapons in MYP. Also, having a weapon is for protection and a deterrent. I certainly wouldn't want to see everyone who owns a gun use it!
    Yeah, the action was so good, I didn't miss any violence.

Ninja Scroll is 1993 anime movie that takes place in fuedal Japan. A vagabond teams up with a diminutive govenment spy and a beautiful kunoichi (female ninja) while they are being pursued by 8 villains with strange powers. It has a great story about government intrigue, betrayal and tragedy along with graphic violence, nudity and adult situations. You should check it out, but don't have any kids around. Besides, you can't miss the 30 hit combo that Lord Gemna lays down on poor Jubei at the end. That and the vaginal snake...
    Sounds interesting...but the last two words put together terrify me!

Yeah, the action was so good, I didn't miss any violence.
    MYP had violence: He-Man and Battle Cat cut living vine snake heads in half, they kept killing the vine creatures that regenerated, King Hiss was shown eating two people, Kobra Kahn acid splashed a lot of people (although a mist spray made it all better...), Teela was wounded and almost died, some Royal Guards were killed...Webstor was killed, etc.

I'm fine with that stuff. We just don't need to see people being ripped open, decapitations galore (Snake Face would be good candidates for decapitation...being Medusa and all), blood everywhere...that kind of deal.

I voted YES !! mature MOTUC dvd just for us orgers !! and then a new toon more kiddie !
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

Heroic Warrior
    The MYP cartoon hit the perfect balance between family friendly yet indicating that those muscles and weapons were there for a purpose.
    I don΄t neet blood, sex and violence. I΄m cool with those in fanfiction, though.
    Gegen 2-Klassen-Gesellschaft in Internet-Foren

Rider of the Night MyBroGotAllMyFigs's Avatar
    Ninja Scroll is good and all, but there are far better samurai anime out there (I know the original topic was about sex in animated features, but still) - IMHO, of course.

I'd recommend Sword of the Stranger any day of the week over Ninja Scroll. That movie was pure samurai goodness, and it was all storytelling and great action without going for easy tricks like fan service, unnecessary nudity, or obligatory comic relief. And the last ten minutes are superb.

The Rurouni Kenshin OVA, which is known as "Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal" is also a very, very good use of mature storytelling, romance, and bloody samurai action.

And finally, it would be a crime not to add Princess Mononoke when it comes to talking about meaningful violence (read: not gratuitous) and powerful storytelling in the context of a beautiful animated movie that can be watched and enjoyed by people of all ages.
    Last edited by MyBroGotAllMyFigs; August 25, 2010 at 04:00am. Reason: had to add Princess Mononoke

Quote Originally Posted by MyBroGotAllMyFigs View Post
    Ninja Scroll is good and all, but there are far better samurai anime out there (I know the original topic was about sex in animated features, but still) - IMHO, of course.

I'd recommend Sword of the Stranger any day of the week over Ninja Scroll. That movie was pure samurai goodness, and it was all storytelling and great action without going for easy tricks like fan service, unnecessary nudity, or obligatory comic relief. And the last ten minutes are superb.

The Rurouni Kenshin OVA, which is known as "Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal" is also a very, very good use of mature storytelling, romance, and bloody samurai action.

And finally, it would be a crime not to add Princess Mononoke when it comes to talking about meaningful violence (read: not gratuitous) and powerful storytelling in the context of a beautiful animated movie that can be watched and enjoyed by people of all ages.
    There you go, guys. Thanks for the recommendations, MyBro. Ninja Scroll, at the time (1993) was soooo shocking! My friends and I couldn't believe it was that hardcore.

Sex would be great, Motu has some fit gurls. Blood and more violence, mwah depends, the MYP has it done pretty good. Lots of action. I'm OK with violence but it shouldn't get a 'Spartacus Blood and Sand' kinda thing...

There you go, guys. Thanks for the recommendations, MyBro. Ninja Scroll, at the time (1993) was soooo shocking! My friends and I couldn't believe it was that hardcore.
    Loved that film. Shame there's not that many good anime films out there these days.
    I hate you. So much.

Heroic Warrior Muscle of Grayskul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I voted yes, but I was thinking more in terms of the violence in some of the mini-comics. Although I would like to see a more mature version for us adult fans, I don't want it to get out of hand.

No hyper violence. The fights shouldn't descend into an all out blood bath and the Masters shouldn't aim to kill. Even with an adult interpretation, to me they aren't killers. Not saying that people can't die in it, that's fine if it's called for. And no sex. I'm not a prude, but you know it would be mishandled. You'd have something as crass as Teela flashing Adam and proposing to sire some heirs round the back of the palace. Romance however is a different thing altogether as it seems like a natural progression for some character relationships, but it shouldn't get out of hand.
    Exactly this, couldn't have said it better myself. I say take it back to the darkness of the mini-comics but set in the more "traditional story line" with Adam being He-Man, etc.
    When I'm lifting heavy objects I sometimes shout, "BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL"