Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character release order...

Character release order...

I'm sure someone's gonna tell me this was already discussed somewhere, but I didn't see it when I looked around so here goes...

When you boil it all down, every incarnation of MOTU has basically always been about the struggle/conflict between He-Man and Skeletor. They have always been the two key characters in every toyline as well. Therefore, it strikes me as kind of odd that while He-Man is the first official (regular line) MOTUC release, Skeletor is NOT the second. I mean why release Beastman BEFORE Skeletor? It seems only natural to make those two the first ones available. Hey Mattel...there's still time to change the schedule. I'd rather Have Skeletor first myself. I bet a lot of other folks will too.
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

Quote Originally Posted by invaziondrummer View Post
    I'm sure someone's gonna tell me this was already discussed somewhere, but I didn't see it when I looked around so here goes...

When you boil it all down, every incarnation of MOTU has basically always been about the struggle/conflict between He-Man and Skeletor. They have always been the two key characters in every toyline as well. Therefore, it strikes me as kind of odd that while He-Man is the first official (regular line) MOTUC release, Skeletor is NOT the second. I mean why release Beastman BEFORE Skeletor? It seems only natural to make those two the first ones available. Hey Mattel...there's still time to change the schedule. I'd rather Have Skeletor first myself. I bet a lot of other folks will too.
    Not sure, strikes me as kida odd as well, but lets face it most of us are adults so we can handle waiting a month or so old Skelly

This post took me back to when i was a young child and getting my very first MOTU figure ever as a B-Day present on my 4th B-day. I had been watching the filmation cartoon for a few weeks and the thing I wanted most in the world as a He-man figure. So my B-Day came around and I got one MOTU figure as a present from my friend across the street. That figure was.....SKELETOR . I remember feeling sad because it wasn't the figure I wanted. And I further remember getting a Man-At-Arms, and Mer-Man before I ended up finally getting my He-Man figure. Back then the He-Man and even Skeletor figures sold out in stores faster than any other figures. I guess Mattel thought that the same would be true in the 200X line which is what led to the Spin-Blade fiasco.

So, with that memory being freshly resurrected in my mind, I can say that I am more than happy to be getting a He-Man and even a Beast-Man before I end up with a Skeletor.

I do however feel very impressed with the look of the new Skeletor figure and I am looking forward to getting it as soon as its available. But I won't be dejected by having to pick up a few figures before I get to old Skullface
    Last edited by starbasetoys; August 15, 2008 at 02:19am.

No idea why Beast Man is before Skeletor, or why we're getting Stratos before Man-At-Arms.

Maybe Mattel just like Beast Man more?

Not sure, Maybe they thought Skeletor would be a better Christmas gift? Don't bother me. That Beast-Man is so cool looking, I'm a happy camper either way.
    www.mattycollector.com

Faker Coming March 16th
    Mer-Man Coming April 15th
    Zodac May 15th
    Hordak June 15th
    Man-At-Arms July 15th
    Tri-Klops August 17th

Hey Mattel...there's still time to change the schedule. I'd rather Have Skeletor first myself. I bet a lot of other folks will too.
    No way man. Even though Mattel are playing it safe by putting out the most known characters in the first few waves, I support any change-ups to the release order. Heck, it would've been great to see something PoP in that 2nd slot.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    No idea why Beast Man is before Skeletor, or why we're getting Stratos before Man-At-Arms.

Maybe Mattel just like Beast Man more?
    I think it had to do with the Toyfair magizine. Its an advertising gag. Give the fans a few figures on the package of KG. Cause the collecters are gonna buy it regardless of who is gcoming out. But if a pretty big magazine puts good ol'Skeley on the cover its gonna hwlp the line out.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    At this point I dont think it would be possible for Mattel to change the release order. At least not on the first few. It takes a long time to get these characters from proto to shelves. A year in most cases.

So, for whatever reason they set it up this way, its probably not gonna be changing.

I also dont think that they are gonna go to far into the future with release dates. Only because if they do start to release more then one figure a month then what do they do. so I think that the few figures they said is in stone maybe thy will add afew here and there if the line goes well. But after the few they have release dates I think we will get more than one a month.

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think it's an attempt to spread the most famous characters out and keep people interested in MOTUC. If you came out with all of the most demanded characters, the line dies out once we get to the 1987 characters.

And since we're adults, we don't have to have Skeletor immediately to fight He-Man.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think it's an attempt to spread the most famous characters out and keep people interested in MOTUC. If you came out with all of the most demanded characters, the line dies out once we get to the 1987 characters.

And since we're adults, we don't have to have Skeletor immediately to fight He-Man.

But you know what, what are the most demanded characters in this line. For me its gonna be the figures we neve had before. Like He-ro and Eldor. To me those are the most demanded. Not so much Trap Jaw or Teela. We had a couple or renditions of those already. Gimmie characters that werent made and ill be sooooooooo happy.

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone

I'm totally fine with it. Maybe Beast Man was just ready first?
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    But you know what, what are the most demanded characters in this line. For me its gonna be the figures we neve had before. Like He-ro and Eldor. To me those are the most demanded. Not so much Trap Jaw or Teela. We had a couple or renditions of those already. Gimmie characters that werent made and ill be sooooooooo happy.
    You'd be surprised. The top characters sell the franchise. Look at Darkstalkers. Without a Morrigan figure, no one wanted to support the line, even though one was coming in the next wave. Imagine if Mattel started MOTUC with Blast Attack and Gwildor? People want to start off any new lines from the beginning.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

Of Course.. Skeletor will send his minion out first to deal with He-Man before stepping up to the plate
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

I really don't mind which we get first. Mer-man would be the first in my ideal MOTUC world. As long as we get them, I'm a happy collector

I still wish that Teela was in the first 5 released. I still wish Mattel would change the release 1 a month to 2 a month.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I think its wise to spread the big characters, especially with the way we are getting these figures. I would like Teela after Mer-Man, MAA can wait a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LionO View Post
    I really don't mind which we get first. Mer-man would be the first in my ideal MOTUC world. As long as we get them, I'm a happy collector
    Well said! My feelings exactly! As long as I'm getting MotU, I'm happy.

I also found it a little odd that Skeletor was not going to be the second release. But I have to say that I dont really care what order they come out just as long as I get to see them all released.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

MOTU Addict/Horde Wannabe Spikewolfe's Avatar
    I wonder if they're using the waves of the original line as a template release schedule? In the first year, they release the first 8 figures, and use the 4 remaining months for unreleased/NA/POP figures. For year 2 they release the 6 wave 2 figures, and then 6 unreleased/NA/POP. Releasing MOTUC like this would allow Mattel to slowly build up different body sculpt pieces as the line continues (if successful), just like they did in the 80's. Compare the original wave 6 figures with the wave one figures. Some re-used molds, but lots of new parts as well. Unfortunately, if they do it this way, then we'll have a long wait for Scare Glow....

I think the fury with which KG was bought up is a good sign and may give Mattel motivation to up the 1/month to maybe 2/month sooner than it might have (if they plan to do anything like that at all).

I also think that Beast Man is coming out first because it mixes things up, it allowed for ToyFare to reveal Skeletor later as the cover story (which leads me to believe that ToyFare may have an exclusive at some point...)

It's also because Beast Man looks AMAZING!! He's really just incredible looking... a bit better than Skeletor? not sure... but amazing nonetheless!
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I think the release schedule has to do with the fact that the figures share parts.

Think of it like this. The characters announced thus far use a few basic bodystyles: the "heroic" (He-man), the "evil/reptilian" (Skeletor, Mer-man, Zodac), the "beast/furry" (Beast Man, Stratos).

And if you look at it in terms of tooling it's acutally 2 basic bodies:

1. Smooth skinnned (Hero and Evil share the hairless chest, upper arms and legs, only different hands and boots)

2. Furry (entire body is furry).

So, if you are using the same tools to make these figures it makes sense to release one smooth skinned figure and then one furry, so that you can manufacture the figures using all your tools at once and not lose time while you change over to the other tools.

For example:

You manufacture He-Man and Beast Man. You start selling He-Man first while you are finishing up manufacturing Beast Man, and switch the smooth body tool to use the evil hands and feet to do Skeletor. You sell Beast Man while you manufacture Skeletor, and prep the furry mold to make Stratos. You sell Skeletor while you manufacture Stratos and prep the smooth body to make Mer-Man. And so on.

Now if the line catches on, I'm sure Mattel will have additional duplicate molds made so they won't be locked into the smooth/furry pattern.

But to start with this theory seems to match the initial release schedule:

He-Man (smooth)
    Beast Man (furry)
    Skeletor (smooth)
    Stratos (furry)
    Mer-Man (smooth)

I could be wrong, but the theory seems sound thus far...

SpyMagician
    http://www.spymonkeycreations.com/
    Custom Action Figure Accessories

MOTU Addict/Horde Wannabe Spikewolfe's Avatar
    That's why it makes sense to follow the waves in which the original figures were released. It allows Mattel to do just what you've described.

I don't care what the release order is, but as long as I get my beastman I'm going to be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by spymagician View Post
    I think the release schedule has to do with the fact that the figures share parts.

Think of it like this. The characters announced thus far use a few basic bodystyles: the "heroic" (He-man), the "evil/reptilian" (Skeletor, Mer-man, Zodac), the "beast/furry" (Beast Man, Stratos).

And if you look at it in terms of tooling it's acutally 2 basic bodies:

1. Smooth skinnned (Hero and Evil share the hairless chest, upper arms and legs, only different hands and boots)

2. Furry (entire body is furry).

So, if you are using the same tools to make these figures it makes sense to release one smooth skinned figure and then one furry, so that you can manufacture the figures using all your tools at once and not lose time while you change over to the other tools.

For example:

You manufacture He-Man and Beast Man. You start selling He-Man first while you are finishing up manufacturing Beast Man, and switch the smooth body tool to use the evil hands and feet to do Skeletor. You sell Beast Man while you manufacture Skeletor, and prep the furry mold to make Stratos. You sell Skeletor while you manufacture Stratos and prep the smooth body to make Mer-Man. And so on.

Now if the line catches on, I'm sure Mattel will have additional duplicate molds made so they won't be locked into the smooth/furry pattern.

But to start with this theory seems to match the initial release schedule:

He-Man (smooth)
    Beast Man (furry)
    Skeletor (smooth)
    Stratos (furry)
    Mer-Man (smooth)

I could be wrong, but the theory seems sound thus far...

SpyMagician
    But that theory falls apart once Zodac, Stinkor and Grizzlor are released
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!