Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.3!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.3!

Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 3 questions!

1. For characters who were in both the classic toy line / mini-comics and the MYP cartoon, which style will you use for the new figures?
    (eg: Queen Marlena)

All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines form the 1980s. Characters like Marlena who did not have a toy will be designed to look like an update if she did have a toy in the 1980s. Exactly what her look will be has yet to be determined.

2. Will the figures have removable body armor or accessories like the vintage toy line? (eg: belts, arm bands, wings, etc)
    Yes.

3. With the announcement of an online store only, will there be chase variants? If so, will we be able to order them separately or will we have to order multiples of one figure with the hopes that one of them will be the chase variant?
    From SDCC 2008, it sounded like fans do not want chase figures in this line. If the figures take off, we will look at doing repaints as an additional figure per month in time.

4. Do the licensing problems you have with the Filmation characters apply to the New Adventures of He-Man cartoon as well or is it possible for NA characters to show up in this line that were never toys?
    Only the NA characters who were made as toys in the 1980s are currently available for the new MOTU Classics line.

5. To help put out more characters faster, would it be possible for smaller figures such as Orko and Gwildor to be pack-ins as accessories with other figures?
    This is something we are looking into but do not have details to announce yet.

6. Will Mattel's new online-webshop have a "Collector's Club" for just MOTU or in general? If so, what sort of benefits could we expect from such a club?
    Mattycollector.com will offer exclusive toys, photo galleries and news for many of Mattel’s current, past and upcoming toy lines including DC Universe, CARS and MOTU Classics.

7. If the bodies are going to be shared, does this eliminate the potential for size variation between figures? If not, how much size variation could we expect?
    The current plan is for all characters to be 6” in scale much like all the figures from the classic line were in the same scale.

8. If the online store sells out of the stock produced for a figure, will Mattel make more? Otherwise, will Mattel consider telling us the production run of each figure so we know how quickly we need to order?
    It is too early for us to comment on this precisely. If we do sell out of key characters quickly it is likely we will go back into production but change the packaging slightly to keep the character collectable. (think of it as a “second printing”) Our goal is to make sure all MOTU collectors can get these new figures.

9. Since a new figure will come out once a month, How far in advance and how often will Mattel release news of upcoming product?
    About 3 to 4 months. A new upcoming figure will be revealed on the 1st of every month just as a new figure will go on sale on the 15th.

10. Is there any chance of a MOTUC/DCUC crossover with a 2-pack or something else? (eg: Superman / He-Man)
    Not in the immediate future but we are looking into this.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 5!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    And have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 3 questions!

Quote Originally Posted by jvs3 View Post

3. With the announcement of an online store only, will there be chase variants? If so, will we be able to order them separately or will we have to order multiples of one figure with the hopes that one of them will be the chase variant?
    from sdcc 2008, it sounded like fans do not want chase figures in this line. If the figures take off, we will look at doing repaints as an additional figure per month in time.

Best. Answer. Ever.
    Time is too short, and one figure a month too little, and there's too many characters to get to, for Mattel to waste time with chases and repaint variants! But it's a relief to know if they ever do this sort of thing, it would be in addition to whatever figure of the month is being released.

from sdcc 2008, it sounded like fans do not want chase figures in this line. If the figures take off, we will look at doing repaints as an additional figure per month in time.
    YES YES YES!

4. Do the licensing problems you have with the Filmation characters apply to the New Adventures of He-Man cartoon as well or is it possible for NA characters to show up in this line that were never toys?
    Only the NA characters who were made as toys in the 1980s are currently available for the new MOTU Classics line.
    Sadly, no females.. but MARA made it to toy prototype form! I asked this in WFWTK 2.5
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Best. Answer. Ever.
    Time is too short, and one figure a month too little, and there's too many characters to get to, for Mattel to waste time with chases and repaint variants! But it's a relief to know if they ever do this sort of thing, it would be in addition to whatever figure of the month is being released.

Actually what most people consider a chase would not take away fro many monthly slots. Its like how KG was done. The same time, just a different paint scheme or something like that.

I have to say that I like chase/variants....but I am not gonna flip out if its not done. I would prefer if it was done though.

I like the answers in general though. Like i have said though, its not my money being put up to pay for this line so I dont really have much say in how others spend theirs.lol

I do like the idea of a changed package for second run stuff though. Truly makes it a collectors line.

THE biggest thing for me is the answer to question 1. Should be the end of all the back and forth about MOTUC/200x. All figures will be done in the same MOTUC style.

I agree with this. Not becuase I dont like 200x, or NA, or POP, but just for unity in the line. We finally get to see all incarnations of MOTU together in the same toy line. To me thats what is exciting about this line. I like the styling, the look, the feel of this line...but I LOVE that the whole property will be in ONE toy line.
    Last edited by motuxmen; August 18, 2008 at 03:56pm.

Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    Actually what most people consider a chase would not take away fro many monthly slots. Its like how KG was done. The same time, just a different paint scheme or something like that.
    I think people would be furious if there were chase figures like what was done with KG.

It's one thing to be able to pick up a chase figure at a store because you want one, but as someone who is only going to buy 1 of any figure, I want to know what I'm getting. 30.00 + tax + shipping is a lot to spend on a figure you don't want.

I love the idea of selling variants side-by-side. Then when Teela's month comes up, if I like the Green Goddess, I can buy BOTH and know exactly what I'm getting.

I am happy they have decided not to do Chase figures. It does not make sense to do them through the mail since you have no power to choose if you want a chase or not like you would on the shelf.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I think people would be furious if there were chase figures like what was done with KG.

It's one thing to be able to pick up a chase figure at a store because you want one, but as someone who is only going to buy 1 of any figure, I want to know what I'm getting. 30.00 + tax + shipping is a lot to spend on a figure you don't want.

I love the idea of selling variants side-by-side. Then when Teela's month comes up, if I like the Green Goddess, I can buy BOTH and know exactly what I'm getting.
    All i meant was that chase doesnt mean it takes the place of a monthly figure, as was implied in the post i responded to.

I disagree that most people would be upset. Most people that were on here and at the con, sure. But I dont think thats close to the number of people who will buy into this line. Or at least I hope its not.lol But that doesnt really matter though.

Its just my opinion and ive stated it enough that theres no need to argue about it again. All I was getting at is that what the collector marker considers chase is not a figure that would take the place of a monthly slot.

What Mattel is talking about doing is exactly what I want (more or less, as iwould want it chance and they really havent said if it would be or wouldnt be, yet) .

What I want personally is not really what I want for this line. What I want for this line is for it to succeed. How ever mattel thinks that needs to be done is fine with me.

Also, its 20 bucks per plus all the other junk, not 30. not to be nit picky or anything I just want to clarify that becuase you know someone is gonna ask...when did they change the price? lol

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post

word.

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

So far I am satisfied!

Yes no chase figures and side by side repaint sales.

Im so happy with these answers.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Evil Master of Arcades Gamutstreet's Avatar
    Look forward to a new annoucement every 1st of the month!!!
    Only 6 more that need updating:

Gwildor
    Ninjor, Saurod, Blast Attak
    Dragstor, Multi-Bot

Side by side repaint sales is the PERFECT solution, Bravo, Mattel!

That was all pretty cool I think!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

You know so far Mattel keeps saying the right things. I like the idea of having no chases but doing the varients alongside the regular figure.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I'm also very happy with the answers given. I really don't like the idea of chase figures. Variants would be ok, as long as we have an option. So I'm in agreeance with the majority, it seems.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I am very happy with how Matty will be handling chases, this sounds like the best idea!!

I was hoping for a Drissy Classic someday from NA, but I guess we just can't have everyone since she never existed in toy format before...

Still I am LOVING this line & can't wait to see WHO the future brings!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Best. Answer. Ever.

NO DOUBT. Mattel rules!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

i am very happy with these answers, especially the 2nd edition packaging for 2nd production figures, and the option to buy the repaints/chases seperately
    My Collection:

Items available for sale or trade.

I have had Good Trades/Deals with: Siroko, Klocket, JVS3, oICEMANo, River, roboticplanet, rougewelder, joeybones, dutch, miscus555, tsilevon, charliecore, cderby79, manson1978, CrazyMotuFan, TombstonePiledrive, rcpax & dark knight.

From SDCC 2008, it sounded like fans do not want chase figures in this line. If the figures take off, we will look at doing repaints as an additional figure per month in time.
    It's not that we don't like variants or repaints. We just don't want them taking over the line too early & some of us don't want them random because of secondary market prices. Most collector's want to know exactly what they are buying & choices really are a good thing so to me, Mattel really needs to address this more.

Personally, a chase every month offered alongside the regular figure gives me two figures to buy or chose from which I think helps mattel get rid of figures that doesn't require all new molds, plus this option also allows me to collect for the sake of collecting & fun without killing teh lien.

8. If the online store sells out of the stock produced for a figure, will Mattel make more? Otherwise, will Mattel consider telling us the production run of each figure so we know how quickly we need to order?
    It is too early for us to comment on this precisely. If we do sell out of key characters quickly it is likely we will go back into production but change the packaging slightly to keep the character collectable. (think of it as a “second printing”) Our goal is to make sure all MOTU collectors can get these new figures.
    Hmmm...I wonder if KG is considered a key character since he debuted this line & sold out quickly.
    Awesome sticker not included!™

Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    You know so far Mattel keeps saying the right things.
    Thank goodness for that. These guys are really impressing me with how in touch they are with what the fans want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    It's not that we don't like variants or repaints.
    Yes it is.

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar
    Awesome news all round. New figure news on the 1st of each month is great and I very happy about no chasers!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    I do like the idea of a changed package for second run stuff though. Truly makes it a collectors line.
    Not really; that caters to folks mainly worried about how much the first run will sell for on e-bay. Making something deliberately rare and hard to get appeals to speculators and dealers (the folks who are concerned with how much the half circle on Boa Fett's glove in the Star Wars line adds to his worth), a position I've made myself clear on, so I won't belabor it again.

What makes this a collector's line is basically everything else that was said. They listened. They actually listened to what many collectors were saying. Repaints possibly offered alongside the feature figure of the month. Exactly the message that has emerged from countless posts here and elsewhere. Heck, they didn't even rule out a Supes/He-Man pack. A few "we'll consider this" standard responses, but some real meat once again. It's refreshing to read Q&A sessions that are actually worth reading.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    It's not that we don't like variants or repaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Yes it is.
    So no snake armor varients or MYP colored Evil Lyn then....yikes!
    Remember I did say we don't want them taking over the line too early...those of us who do want them that is.

Mr. Metzger has a point, who really cares if there's a package change or whatnot for the second run of a figure. Motuxmen, I know you're not a scalper, I've read about you helping out fans so I know that is not the case but I have to ask you what does it really hurt to do a re-run of any figure w/o changing anything besides the secondary market value. Feel free to PM me if you'd like bro, we can discuss it civilized.
    Awesome sticker not included!™

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    2. For any figures that might be in the MOTUC line that were missing from the 2002 line, is it possible they will be sculpted/designed in the 2002 style to help fans get figures never released for that line? Or is the style seen on King Grayskull the look of the entire MOTUC line?
    At this time, all of the MOTU Classics figures will be in the same style. In the future we may go back and do figures in the 2002 line style, but right now we are interested in creating a brand new cohesive line look for all characters in the Classics line. This look will be revealed at SDCC, but you can get a good idea by checking out the first figure in the line – King Grayskull!
    They did leave a door open for the 200X fans in WTFWTK 2.2. That's way better than a flat out "No, they'll never do it again." For right now, it's a confirmation that some fans can sleep on MOTUC.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 18, 2008 at 08:51pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Thank goodness for that. These guys are really impressing me with how in touch they are with what the fans want.
    Totally agree! They're really listening to the fans, it's great!! Kudos Mattel!