Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.3!

It is great that Mattel seems to be listening to fans and are pretty active on the boards. I hope this is a signe of great things to come for many years
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    7. If the bodies are going to be shared, does this eliminate the potential for size variation between figures? If not, how much size variation could we expect?

The current plan is for all characters to be 6” in scale much like all the figures from the classic line were in the same scale.
    This doesn't appeal to me all that much. The line is looking to be more bland than I expected. I could deal with the lack of scaling in the 4H line because the sculpts were all different. Shared bodies + shared scale = Fail IMO.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeMonkey View Post
    This doesn't appeal to me all that much. The line is looking to be more bland than I expected. I could deal with the lack of scaling in the 4H line because the sculpts were all different. Shared bodies + shared scale = Fail IMO.
    So that's it for BAFs, isn't it? Since the classic line had all of the characters at the same size, then so would this line. I was expecting this.

I guess Titus and Megator are going to be given the same treatment as BattleCat. If you want them, then the line is going to have to be successful.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    So that's it for BAFs, isn't it? Since the classic line had all of the characters at the same size, then so would this line. I was expecting this.

I guess Titus and Megator are going to be given the same treatment as BattleCat. If you want them, then the line is going to have to be successful.
    They said nothing of the sort.

Were Titus and Megator the same size as the vintage figures? Nope. So they probably won't be here. And Mattel has NEVER ruled out BAFs for this line.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    They said nothing of the sort.

Were Titus and Megator the same size as the vintage figures? Nope. So they probably won't be here. And Mattel has NEVER ruled out BAFs for this line.
    All characters in MOTUC are to be in the 6" scale. Unless they start doing 6" BAFs.

And I've said above that Titus and Megator would probably be special cases like BattleCat and considered something like vehicles since they aren't the usual 6" figure.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    All characters in MOTUC are to be in the 6" scale. Unless they start doing 6" BAFs.

And I've said above that Titus and Megator would probably be special cases like BattleCat and considered something like vehicles since they aren't the usual 6" figure.
    There are plenty of valid reasons to not like the MOTUC line, but you're looking for one here that doesn't exist.

"The current plan is for all characters to be 6” in scale much like all the figures from the classic line were in the same scale."

Again, were Titus and Megator the same size as the vintage figures? Scott was talking about the regular figures. They will all be 6" scale. He has flat out said that BAFs are a consideration and even mentioned Titus and Megator as possibilities.

His point is (and always has been) that there won't be the scaling like the stactions - Clawful will not tower over figures like in 200x - he'll be the same size like he was in the vintage line, etc. That is not something new that we learned. It's been in place since the beginning.

I`m very happy with the 6' scale, they aren`t going to change anything that wasn`t done with the original figures. These figures are basically an updated reproduction of the classic figs with added articulation, so once they do 1 of every character then I`m sure if successful they`ll start doing repaints, obscure characters, army builders etc. As I`ve told many already, if you don`t like the original figures you won`t like MOTUC. It`s a different universe than 200x. I`m very impressed with all the answers, it sounds like it`s going to exactly how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    3. With the announcement of an online store only, will there be chase variants? If so, will we be able to order them separately or will we have to order multiples of one figure with the hopes that one of them will be the chase variant?
    From SDCC 2008, it sounded like fans do not want chase figures in this line. If the figures take off, we will look at doing repaints as an additional figure per month in time.
    I suggested in the other thread that variants be .org exclusives and be offered concurrently with the original figure, this way, people who don't want them don't have to buy them and those that do, can buy them. This will help out He-Man.org as well. It's similar to what their answer hints that they might do in the future and it gives the .org a chance to be involved.

Movie mayhem!
    Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 3 questions!

1. For characters who were in both the classic toy line / mini-comics and the MYP cartoon, which style will you use for the new figures?
    (eg: Queen Marlena)

All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines form the 1980s. Characters like Marlena who did not have a toy will be designed to look like an update if she did have a toy in the 1980s. Exactly what her look will be has yet to be determined.
    Well thats cool as it sounds like we are going to be getting a Marlena pretty much for sure!!!! I don't totally get what he's saying there though. It says update.. so does that mean redesign. Also... i like how they told us that we'd be seeing 200x style and such but now are totally changing that to ALL FIGURES WILL BE AN HOMAGE to the 1980's line. Thats totally different than what we were first told.

3. With the announcement of an online store only, will there be chase variants? If so, will we be able to order them separately or will we have to order multiples of one figure with the hopes that one of them will be the chase variant?
    From SDCC 2008, it sounded like fans do not want chase figures in this line. If the figures take off, we will look at doing repaints as an additional figure per month in time.

PHEW!!!

4. Do the licensing problems you have with the Filmation characters apply to the New Adventures of He-Man cartoon as well or is it possible for NA characters to show up in this line that were never toys?
    Only the NA characters who were made as toys in the 1980s are currently available for the new MOTU Classics line.
    Ok so no girl figures from NA probably no NA teela then either I'm guess... but still there are a lot of cool characters in there for them to do.

5. To help put out more characters faster, would it be possible for smaller figures such as Orko and Gwildor to be pack-ins as accessories with other figures?
    This is something we are looking into but do not have details to announce yet.
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!

6. Will Mattel's new online-webshop have a "Collector's Club" for just MOTU or in general? If so, what sort of benefits could we expect from such a club?
    Mattycollector.com will offer exclusive toys, photo galleries and news for many of Mattel’s current, past and upcoming toy lines including DC Universe, CARS and MOTU Classics.
    I don't totally understand this answer... does that mean, yes and these are the benefits? Because a lot of that stuff mentioned i thought we just going to be posted in general...

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    So no... MYP colored Evil Lyn then(?)
    OK, I guess that one's alright, but no Smash Blades please.

Everything said sounds on points with what I would want in a toy line. This is like a dream line for me, and I don't know if I can wait until the next figure comes out! The time can't go by fast enough.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I don't totally understand this answer... does that mean, yes and these are the benefits? Because a lot of that stuff mentioned i thought we just going to be posted in general...
    I think it's just a very vague answer because they aren't sure yet.

About Marlena, I think she will be the 200X one (white dress) in the retro MOTUC style.

I'm pretty happy with all their answers though. Mattel's really listening and taking action! I love you Mattel!

Sigh. There are plenty of valid reasons to not like the MOTUC line, but you're looking for one here that doesn't exist.

"The current plan is for all characters to be 6” in scale much like all the figures from the classic line were in the same scale."
    C'mon. I've been mentioned that everyone was the same size in MOTUC in the BAF thread.

Again, were Titus and Megator the same size as the vintage figures? Scott was talking about the regular figures. They will all be 6" scale. He has flat out said that BAFs are a consideration and even mentioned Titus and Megator as possibilities.

His point is (and always has been) that there won't be the scaling like the stactions - Clawful will not tower over figures like in 200x - he'll be the same size like he was in the vintage line, etc. That is not something new that we learned. It's been in place since the beginning.
    When did I say that Titus and Megator would be 6"? I was talking about them being sold like vehicles. Because of their sizes, they weren't normal figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    So no snake armor varients or MYP colored Evil Lyn then....yikes!
    Remember I did say we don't want them taking over the line too early...those of us who do want them that is.

Mr. Metzger has a point, who really cares if there's a package change or whatnot for the second run of a figure. Motuxmen, I know you're not a scalper, I've read about you helping out fans so I know that is not the case but I have to ask you what does it really hurt to do a re-run of any figure w/o changing anything besides the secondary market value. Feel free to PM me if you'd like bro, we can discuss it civilized.

I am not a scalper, sometimes i wish I was. I hardly sell anything, as ebay, paypal, and even the mail system scare me. I dont trust any of them. I have sold some stuff before, dont get me wrong, but not since the most recent changes ebay has made. So that was back in like april.

Like I said, I wouldnt be the least upset if they did do another run and make it exactly the same, but to me it just gives me more stuff to collect. Like with the vintage line you have the 8 back, the 12 back figures, the ones that had the tapes the ones that had "original" on them. There are distinctions from when they run them again. Same with comics. You have first print, 2nd print and so on.

And if you just want the figure and dont care about value, or differences in packaging or anything like that then what does it hurt. Everyone gets the figure they want. Do I like that my toys may actually hold or increase in value? Sure. Is it the driving force behind why I collect? NO!

IF you can get everyone there figures and still keep the value then thats good. At least to me. I wouldnt be opposed to doing the second run exactly the same either, i personally just like it. But thats just my feelings and I understand that not everyone agrees, and that I am in the minority on here. I guess the difference is that when someone suggests soemthing else I dont take it personally, and I dont look at how its gonna just affect me, or the people on here, or he-fans in gen. I try to look at what how it affects the line overall. Whats best for the line that way. I agree with a lot of what has been said, but not all. But some of the things I dont like personally dont bother me as long as it keeps the line going.

It sounded like "No, but here's an advertisment for our website" to me

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    I love that he almost slightly confirmed a Marlena, that is exciting! Plus, I felt the answer to question eight hinted at KGs return, and I'm hoping for a bubble. And it would be sweet if the "first printings" had NEW written on them, that would be a nice touch.

Thanks for the update JVS3 and Toyguru! You guys is be so awesome!
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Awesome answerrs, especially the one about the chase figures. Finally, Mattel is really listening to what we have to say. This is a dream come true. It feels like this time the phrase "anything's possible" is not just a phrase but a true statement. If the line is successful and Mattel keeps listening to what we want, anything Is possible!
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    NO DOUBT. Mattel rules!

It's been awhile since I have seen that typed.

I love the idea of selling variants side-by-side. Then when Teela's month comes up, if I like the Green Goddess, I can buy BOTH and know exactly what I'm getting.
    I agree, I really love Toyguru's answer there to Question #3.

That's the best scenario period.

Many of us want variants, and I think we all want as fair an opportunity to get them all if we can and want to.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    [QUOTE=JVS3;1974060]Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 3 questions!

9. Since a new figure will come out once a month, How far in advance and how often will Mattel release news of upcoming product?
    About 3 to 4 months. A new upcoming figure will be revealed on the 1st of every month just as a new figure will go on sale on the 15th.

So, I wonder when that will begin. I know that we've got Stratos coming out here who I'm guessing we'll maybe see early Septemberish. I wonder if we'll see something on mattycollector as early as October or November.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I suggested in the other thread that variants be .org exclusives and be offered concurrently with the original figure, this way, people who don't want them don't have to buy them and those that do, can buy them. This will help out He-Man.org as well. It's similar to what their answer hints that they might do in the future and it gives the .org a chance to be involved.
    You know we're interested in this, of course.

But we still haven't quite gotten Mattel to take He-Man.org seriously as a potential advertising / exclusive-product outlet.
    We've tried for years; still haven't made it happen...yet.

Jeremy Padawer came close to making it happen when he was brand manager, along with some help of a still anonymous VP.
    We had the MossMan figures channeled through here,
    along with the Org white-box Keldors.
    Not to mention we moved 2000 She-Ras, and that's after everyone got them at WWC and SDCC, as well as off eBay.
    So, we know the potential is there for He-man.org.

ToyFare, AFX, etc have done various MOTU exclusives, and that's awesome!
    And those guys need to keep doing MOTU type exclusives. I'm all for it.
    I'm behind exclusives 100%.
    It's great cross-promotion for full product awareness.

But at He-Man.org, where Mattel's MOTU product and news is seen by more MOTU-specific fans than another other outlet in the world?... it hasn't happened yet.

I'm thinking we just need to have a meeting with Mattel.
    That may be all it takes to actually talk out the logistics of doing more stuff through He-Man.org that caters directly to fans and collectors.
    I think it's certainly feasible. Heck, it's long past due, IMO.

And I think once that happens, it would help open the door for other MOTU online communities across the world to do something similar.
    We could even cross-sell... where, as an example, sites like planeteternia.de gets a portion of the exclusive to help reach German fans with less shipping demands.
    There's a lot of potential in this.

Also... i like how they told us that we'd be seeing 200x style and such but now are totally changing that to ALL FIGURES WILL BE AN HOMAGE to the 1980's line. Thats totally different than what we were first told.
    Well, we were told that 2002 characters were game for the MOTUC line.

Some people took this to mean that characters would be released to look like the 2002 sculpting style.
    But that's not what Mattel meant (see earlier discussions about this in other threads for more info).

What was meant this entire time was that 2002 character designs are available to be sculpted in the MOTUC style.

For example (and just an example, this isn't a hint)
    if we were to get a MYP Evilseed,
    it would be that character design,
    but sculpted in this MOTUC style.

It would have his MYP design pattern, but have that retro classic sculpting look.

Toyguru isn't saying characters now have to have the classic toy design.
    He's just saying they will have this MOTUC chunky, beefy retro sculpting style to them.
    That means 2002 designs are still fair game; they just won't be sculpted to fit in with the previous 2002 anime'esque angular sculpting.

...geez, I wish I had a physical example to make understanding this a lot easier.

Toyguru isn't saying characters now have to look like the classic toy.
    He's just saying they will have this MOTUC chunky, beefy retro sculpting style to them.
    You know, just reading that "in print" (even though I already knew it), has gotten me all excited about the possibility of folks like Callix (sp?), the Kulatucks (sp? again), Prahvus, etc making it into the MOTUC line with sculpts that'll blend right in with King Grayskull, Beast Man, etc.
    This line is going to look AMAZING

And that's exactly right, too.
    Those guys are potential MOTUC characters, but they'd have the sculpting style of KG.

(zodak74: I know you know that; I'm just reiterating for everyone else)

Well, we were told that 2002 characters were game for the MOTUC line.

Some people took this to mean that characters would be released to look like the 2002 sculpting style.
    But that's not what Mattel meant (see earlier discussions about this in other threads for more info).

What was meant this entire time was that 2002 character designs are available to be sculpted in the MOTUC style.

For example (and just an example, this isn't a hint)
    if we were to get a MYP Evilseed,
    it would be that character design,
    but sculpted in this MOTUC style.

It would have his MYP design pattern, but have that retro classic sculpting look.

Toyguru isn't saying characters now have to have the classic toy design.
    That means 2002 designs are still fair game; they just won't be sculpted to fit in with the previous 2002 anime'esque angular sculpting.

...geez, I wish I had a physical example to make understanding this a lot easier.
    So an Evilseed wouldn't be a repainted green flocked MOTUC Webstor? Or Queen Marlena wouldn't be a repainted Teela/She-Ra body?

I'll take a stab at that physical example then.

So you're saying that we can get a figure that looks like this...extra arms, different legs, different belt and all?

But have the muscularity and articulation of this?

But without the focus group/anime/angularity of this?
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 19, 2008 at 01:09pm.

Prahvus would be so cool! I have wanted him for ages.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!