Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using CGI for Skeletor's face

Using CGI for Skeletor's face

I know off the bat most will think this is a bad idea. But I feel if they have to do it they could pull it off well.

After all, a lot of Batman in Batman Begins was CGI and you can hardly tell.

Mostly I just dont want it to be Skeltor wearing a mask like in the 87 version. It was fine then, but I think in this day and age we can do much better.

And Skeletor is not 60+ years old and therefore shouldnt be played by one. Have I mentioned no old people yet?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I think if the actor wears a mask and then they add CGI over it or something, it would probably look way awesome. They could put the black screen-mesh stuff over the eyes so they're already blacked out, then use the glowing red effect in post, make the jaw move, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherguy View Post
    I know off the bat most will think this is a bad idea. But I feel if they have to do it they could pull it off well.

After all, a lot of Batman in Batman Begins was CGI and you can hardly tell.

Mostly I just dont want it to be Skeltor wearing a mask like in the 87 version. It was fine then, but I think in this day and age we can do much better.

And Skeletor is not 60+ years old and therefore shouldnt be played by one. Have I mentioned no old people yet?

CGI Batman?!? Maybe in a few of the FAR AWAY flying scenes, but pretty much every shot of Batman in the movie was of Christian Bale (or his stunt double) in costume. Chris Nolan is notorious for not liking CGI, and only uses it moderately in his films. TWO FACE is a good example of him using CGI well, and even then, it wasn't used much... just when neccessary.

All I can say is see the Nicholas Cage Ghost Rider movie..that is how Skeletor should be treated....a Perfect blend of CG on a real actors body/head. Even the jaw movement when ghostrider speaks and laughs matches what old bone face should look like.
    Ram Man's long lost brother!

Yeah count me in for wanting a CGI head for Skeletor! He could look really good considering how far CGI has come, and they could cast an unknown to play the part as you wouldn't see his face except for if/when Keldor's shown.

CGI is okay with me, like one of the members mention about ghost rider.... or they could make it like Harry Potter's character Voldermort, they change Ralph Fiennes to something else that's ugly and stunning at the same time. but they will put some CGI on skeletor IMO.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Well, CGI can work...but it can suck harder than a rotten egg when handled poorly...

Look at Davey Jones...amazing, imo.

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

It would be awesome if they could do for Skeletor what they did for Two Face in The Dark Knight.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SKELEPIMP View Post
    Well, CGI can work...but it can suck harder than a rotten egg when handled poorly...

Look at Davey Jones...amazing, imo.

Yeah, there was absolutely no CGI there

Without CGI we'd going to end up with another Frank Langella looking Skeletor, and there's no way they're going to do that.
    Formerly Mark_Palenik

How about simply employing Unemployed Skeletor? His costume is convincing enough...

If you're going for a realistic skull on a man's body then CGI is the only way you're going to do it. CGI has been given a bad rep by Lucas, because he's in love with the process, but in some cases CGI is the only way to do something, and Skeletor's face is one of those occasions you can't avoid using it.

I'm thinking a CGI on an actor's body is the only option in this day and age. There are still some great make-up jobs in movies today (Hellboy) but as far as a skull floating inside a hood, it's probably going to be CGI.

Let's face it, there's no way we want to see a 1987-esque Frank Langella make-up job
    chikarapro.com Loco Lucha Libre!!!

CGI if they can't do it old style.

I liked the 87 Film look to Skeletor. I also wouldn't mind CGI for his head. But, I really want them to at least make his eyes glow red like the MYP series did. I thought that was so cool!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    CGI Batman?!? Maybe in a few of the FAR AWAY flying scenes, but pretty much every shot of Batman in the movie was of Christian Bale (or his stunt double) in costume. Chris Nolan is notorious for not liking CGI, and only uses it moderately in his films. TWO FACE is a good example of him using CGI well, and even then, it wasn't used much... just when neccessary.

Yes, thats what i was going to say.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    From the thread "Should Frank Langella be the voice of Skeletor in the new movie?":

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    My only concern with the Ghostrider example is that Ghostrider is static and unemotional. The audience has to connect to him and his motivations the way they did with the spiderman villain. Skeletor/Keldor has to have a sympathetic side to his personality and those emotions need to be expressed in the face/skull movement without looking like Jack Skelinton
    Exactly; without eyes or the ability to make facial expressions, the character cannot emote.

Neither Darth Vader nor The Witch King had movable faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
    Neither Darth Vader nor The Witch King had movable faces.
    From the thread "Should Frank Langella be the voice of Skeletor in the new movie?":

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    The limited ability of Darth Vader to emote due to his wearing a helmet is balanced by his depiction in the Star Wars films as less a character than an ominous force, and is compensated for with iconic voice work.

Skeletor on the other hand may look unusual due to the juxtaposition of an emotive voice and a non-emotive face.
    What he said. Darth Vader was just fear and oppression. he did little else except intimidate. when the audience needed to connect with him on an emotional level we haw under the helmet. Skeletor is more like Jack Nicolson’s joker. We need to see his “face” to see his emotional state.

I would prefer little to no CGI for Skeletor's face. It should be only used if it is the only way to get the effect the film makers want.

CGI should be used only when necessary in movies. Unless you want another Resident Evil on your hands (though I know that wasn't exactly that movies worst failing).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

I'm Right, You're Wrong Sword of Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I would prefer little to no CGI for Skeletor's face.
    How else are you going to achieve a mobile, emotive skull without CGI? Makeup can't do it (Langella looked like a decomposing Jack Palance more than a lich), and animatronics would be too cumbersome on a live performer who's not wearing a bulky creature costume. There aren't any other options for Skeletor.

I never said it had to be emotive. Sure that may prove a hurdle for the actor to overcome, but at least it doesn't look cartoony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

A CGI skull doesn't have to be unemotive. It can be as emotive as they like really.

I'm wondering if we'll see his face all that much in the new movie. Perhaps Skeletor will be played as a guy who is ashamed his face/skull and we see his face very little. Perhaps we'll just see a darkened hood for the most part.
    chikarapro.com Loco Lucha Libre!!!

The practical make-up effects in the films of Guillermo del Toro are far superior to any CGI.

After seeing what they've done with monster effects in Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean, I would very much like to see them try a combination of CGI and Motion Capture to create Skeletor's face. I can just see them covering the actor's face with MoCap dots and removing the skin off his face in post while still maintaining his performance. Check out this FX-progression for Bill Nighy in Pirates 2:

I think as well that Skeletors face ( head ) should be done in CGI. I assume they will show us how he gets that way, and perhaps they might even show that his head is just hovering above his body. To pull that off.. I feel that CGI is the best method possible. About showing emotion.. think of Wall-E... he hardly spoke words.. and didn't have a mouth to smile or such.. but yet we all had a sense of how he felt as conveyed with his eyes.