View Poll Results: What if this movie flops?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deathblow to MOTU

29 29.90%
  • I don't know, the thought depresses me

22 22.68%
  • MOTU will eventually get another shot

23 23.71%
  • MOTU will be just fine

23 23.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could this movie be MOTU's last chance?

Co-Creator of the NV

Could this movie be MOTU's last chance?

Looking at the history of MOTU, I can't help but notice that there are a lot more hits than misses.

The original toyline was marketed extremely well, thus the cartoon got two full seasons in a time when many cartoons got 65 episodes per season. They were both considered to be a success.

The 1987 movie was made on a shoestring budget and did badly.

Then NA came out. I don't know too much about it, but from my understanding it was not considered to be a success.

Finally in the 2000's we got MYP and the 200x series of figures. 200x figures were marketed and packed terribly, killing the line and thereby causing the end of the cartoon as well. Thus we have another failure.

So far, MOTU has succeeded once and failed 3 times. I don't count the MOTUC line because it is a collector's line and they make small enough runs to help ensure that they sell out. At best the line will continue quietly and pump out a ton of figures, and at worst it'll eventually disappear. After what happend in 200x, I don't envision the line leading to a widespread release unless there is some sort of big media build up to it, which leads us to the movie.

I think that this movie might be the last chance that MOTU has. If it crashes, that's another giant red x on the product and given the budgets that these movies command now, I suspect it'd be an extremely costly mistake. I believe that if this thing fails, there will not be another MOTU movie, at all. Punisher has recently been rebooted, but that last movie was a moderate success and the comics have gone on strong in the interim. The same is true for the Hulk. Same is also true for Batman and Superman. MOTU on the other hand has failed repeatedly and I can't envision them giving another movie a chance if this one goes badly.

So what kind of affect do you think this movie doing badly will have on MOTU?

Heroic Warrior
    I think at worse, if MOTUC is a success, the focus will shift again there, or maybe MOTU will just take another rest for a while.

I mean cult or not, the fanbase is there and its significant. And I mean the people who love and grew up with the toys are now basically running the show. So I think it will always kind of have a life even when its taking a rest.

I mean if MOTUC is a success, it could carry on for the forseeable future hopefully.

But if they made a movie, a huge focus would have to go there.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

As someone already stated, the MOTU's fanbase is not nearly as big as Star Wars', Star Trek's, Batman's, Superman's (isn't it actually among the smaller ones?).

Now, the glory days of MOTU are 20+ years behind us, and the kids these days, while being into Batman, Spider-man and the other franchises, are not really into MOTU.

Remember the 87' movie? It failed while MOTU franchise was still big, and if another movie fails now, there's little chance that any studio would risk another 150+ million $ on something that has perpetually failed.
    He-Man ima duge kose plave, He-Man ima začarani mač,
    He-Man ima tigra pa ga jaše, He-Man dobro čarobnicu znaaa...

- Ancient Croatian folk song

sfcentar.geek.hr

I am a little worried about this movie, because I do think that if it flops, that would bury MUTU for many, many years.

Also, when the original cartoon and toys appeared they were really something special, not just story-wise but in many other respects. If we want MOTU o be what it was in mid-80's, the movie would have to be really great - not just great story, but great production, new and interesting direction, imaginative production design... something that was never done before. I would be disappointed if it were only as good as the Transformers, for example...

I think the fact that they're putting out MOTU Classics is an indicator of just how strong a fanbase there is for the property. We're getting DVDs of the MYP show, AND this new line despite the fact that the 2002 line and the follow up stactions weren't huge successes. If there's money to be made, Mattel will continue. And they do have to move forward, no matter what steps they take. New movie, new comic, new toyline, new cartoon...SOMETHING to keep the brand alive in the consciousness of the fanbase.
    A bad movie isn't going to make anyone of us here give up on MOTU completely. I've been the 1 person so far to think MOTU would be fine.
    It's the next logical step for Mattel, and I think they're doing the right thing by trying to continue and endure the way Hasbro has with Transformers and GI Joe.
    Transformers Armada, Robots in Disguise and Cybertron were low points. TF Alternators was a GREAT line among collectors, but didn't do well compared to their Classics line, and now their Movie and Animated series. GI Joe Sigma 6 wasn't a hit, but now the 25th Anniversary stuff is flying off the shelves.
    Last edited by Money$hot; August 22, 2008 at 08:25am.
    ...and I'm spent...

Mandola [my band!]

If the live-action movie flops, I think it's only a matter of time before Mattel puts a stop to the MOTUC line. It won't be an instant deathblow to MOTU --it'll probably continue on for maybe a year or two after the movie, before finally disappearing forever. I digress...

IMO, now that Wonder Woman is getting her own animated DVD and possibly a live-action, they need to try to start developing She-Ra/PoP more.

If the movie flops it will hurt the franchise beyond repair. The bad thing about MOTU, imop, is that outside of a small dedicated fan base there is not much interest other than nostalgia. People I talk to always think my collection and stuff is cool but they always say that MOTU wasn't as cool as GI Joe and Transformers. They remember MOTU as a kiddie line and Joe/Tformers as being more adult. I saw a poll on a toysite asking if people if they'll collect MOTUC and it was almost 50/50 yes no. For some reason the line doesn't seem to excite many people.

I think the movie could fare somenwhat well, but I fear it will be closer to Speed Racer. I think the longer it takes for them to get moving on the movie the less of a chance it has to be succesful. Just because all these other 80's properties are doing movies and eventually that buzz for them will die off. My biggest fear remains that they will make to many changes to the franchise to make "modernized" and forget what MOTU was about.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    In a word? YES.

Mattel has made numerous mistakes in marketing and distributing the 200X line but the truth is we are DAMN lucky to have the MOTUC line. If/When the move comes and it flops, it will be the deathnell for MOTU. There will be concrete evidence that Mattel need not continue.

I agree that if this movie doesnt do well its over for us.

There is a collectors line, however we have yet to see how many people will buy the toys. Personally I hope it sells like hotcakes. But i won't be buying all the figures. I'll buy Teela, Sorceress, Green Goddess and maybe Veena. Thats it. The fans have been wanting a collectors line for a long time, Mattel gave in. Now lets see if the come up to bat. If not thats another nail in the coffin.

If the movie fails then I dont see why Mattel would want to touch MOTU for a long long time. Toon failed, toys failed, so now they are jumping on the whole "Gen Xers remember your childhood" and throwing out a movie for us.

Times have changed.People's tastes have changed. Maybe barbarian movies aren't what they used to be. Maybe people want to see something different. If thats the case then MOTU needs to be updated in order to keep it alive. And I hope people embrace that change or else..bye bye MOTU.

As for She-Ra. I'm wondering if they should try it again. I disliked the toon when I was a kid and I didn't really get into it. However, girls might enjoy a nice kick butt heroine.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Warrior
    I heard the stactions actually were pretty hot.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Well they're gone now. And while we did get through a few waves we never got all the characters people wanted. Also the big statues kinda pooped out on us too
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    In a word? YES.

Mattel has made numerous mistakes in marketing and distributing the 200X line but the truth is we are DAMN lucky to have the MOTUC line. If/When the move comes and it flops, it will be the deathnell for MOTU. There will be concrete evidence that Mattel need not continue.
    I don't know about that, a movie can fail for any number of reasons, and just because it might stink doesn't mean MOTU will be finished; look at the Lundgren movie, it flopped and here we are 20 years later and Mattel is still keeping the brand alive.

But I wonder..if the whole 80s retro thing never happened would we have had MOTU?
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I voted "MOTU will be just fine".

I think it's a bit extreme to predict a deathblow if the movie goes toes up. I think the only thing that could endanger the MOTUC line (and the future of MOTU) is if MOTUC doesn't return a profit margin like Mattel is expecting.

BUT ON THE FLIP SIDE...

If Mattel manufactures a series of new movie figures (and I'm sure they will) and they do poor sales it's definitely not going to help MOTU's plight in the future.
    chikarapro.com Loco Lucha Libre!!!

I honestly don't see an MOTU movie coming out any time soon. Realistically, I'd expect it to hit the market after 2011 because it'll get skunked by its main competition in the DC and Marvel franchises that will ultimately build to JLA and Avengers.

I voted that I don't know but the thought doesn't depress me. The way I see it: if a new movie were to bomb, MOTU will still cling to life through its fan base here with the ORG. We're kinda like the Society of Beckett. In my opinion, they're all nuts because I thought "Waiting for Godot" was completely ridiculous and unnecessary. Anyway, if you're not aware of who they are; it's an organization of fans of Samuel Beckett's plays who collectively purchased the rights to his plays, either produce or assist in financially aiding productions of his work, and will shut down a play if its creative direction is not in line with what they deem to be Beckett's intention for the work.

That'd be kinda weird if the ORG as a whole became upset with Mattel and raised enough money to buy the MOTU rights from them and other companies. I know that it'd turn into a trainwreck because there's too many people who are unwilling to bend with their opinions along with so many variations on those said opinions.

Peace
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I don't know about that, a movie can fail for any number of reasons, and just because it might stink doesn't mean MOTU will be finished; look at the Lundgren movie, it flopped and here we are 20 years later and Mattel is still keeping the brand alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    But I wonder..if the whole 80s retro thing never happened would we have had MOTU?
    Div said it.

The Dolph movie tanked but so did the line it's self, the movie was bad and perhaps a year or 2 late. The end result is: The line fittered out just after.

Jump ahead to 200X; GI Joe, TFormers, Thundecats et al. The 80s boom was in full effect. W/Out the success of the other properties I doubt very seriously Mattel would have paid us any mind.

The 200X line was preceeded by the successful Commemerative Line, had the 4H behind it and a pretty damn good Cartoon, still with all that we could keep it going.

Like I said before, Mattel IS to blame for some of the issues (Smash/Spin Blade fiasco, Poor case ratios, poor distribution, vise-like constraints on Val/Emiliano, etc....) BUT the line still didn't resonate with KIDS, the formost target audience for toys ....

I may be wrong, but IMHO (magic e excuse-all) If/when the movie hits and it fais? MOTU, in ANY incarnation, is dead. I hope MOTUC could at lest continue for us but really. Why would Mattel even bother?

I think at some point, MOTU would get another shot in some form or another. Also, what do people consider to be the death of MOTU? No new merchandise? If that was the case then we wouldn't all still be around 20 years after the original line ended. We all survived that drought. Granted the MOTU seed went dormant for many of us but the love didn't die just because there were'nt new toys, cartoons or comics. If the movie flops we may see another period of dormancy but the phoenix will rise.

i went with not sure and too depressing to think of.
    i fear that if movie flops they would pull the plug for another couple years or all together, but i would hope they wait till it hits DVD to make any decisions some films may not have huge box office but sell like crazy on DVD.
    Eternian Beastmaster

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Leoghan View Post
    i went with not sure and too depressing to think of.
    i fear that if movie flops they would pull the plug for another couple years or all together, but i would hope they wait till it hits DVD to make any decisions some films may not have huge box office but sell like crazy on DVD.
    Actually, when I made the question I meant a situation where it does badly both in theatres and dvd since I don't think a movie that does bad in theatres but kills on dvd is a flop. Sadly I didn't make that clear

I want MOTU to succeed. Really I do. As it stands right now it seems that the MOTUC line is getting mixed feelings. Many of us were very fond of the updated 4H designs, and looking forward to the possibility of many more. After visiting several other websites, MOTUC may not fair as well as Mattel would like... that saddens me.

As for the movie. Well I seem to be in the minority again when I say that I would love to see MOTU completely CGI (Beowulf, Blizzard Cinematics, something fun and well made), I think if handled properly it could be amazing. I would also take MOTU as a highly stylized live action movie (300, The Watchmen), but from what we've been hearing so far, the prospect of it doing well and igniting new interest in the line is looking poorly. It seems that the dumbest people get their sticky fingers on the best properties and ruin them.

If the movie fails, I think MOTU will fail.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; September 7, 2008 at 02:14am.

Heroic Warrior
    "They remember MOTU as a kiddie line and Joe/Tformers as being more adult"

Utter nonsence

MotU was having problems already prior to the movie , it wasn't the hot property it once was......

MotU = Phoenix the bird...it died but was resurrected , the "flame" of MotU will never die out
    MotU fans think like Great Escape WW2 prisoners......even though it may fail again we NEVER give up hope
    Last edited by Wonder Bread He-Man; November 18, 2008 at 05:39am.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

With some major studios reducing the number of films they are cranking out (cost concerns) and the ever rising cost to produce a blockbuster, I think a crash-and-burn MOTU film could be a death knell. After all, not too many films (lately) get a "second chance" (a la the Hulk), at least not in rapid succession.

On the positive side, the state of CGI work means better special effects that increase the "WOW" factor. Now, all we need is a quality script, capable actors, and a good director... no, not much, LOL...

There will always be MOTU. As long as there are fans, it will survive. And sure enough, whether it's five, ten, or even fifty years down the road, Mattel (or whoever replaces it!) will dust off He-Man and Skeletor, and they will meet one again on the battlefields of imagination and adventure.

But, yeah, if the movie flops, we could be in trouble.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I don't think we NEED a movie. We don't have a movie NOW.

Mattel and the fanbase can keep MOTU alive. MOTUC is evidence of that. The movie isn't even in pre-production yet and MOTUC is thriving. Sure, the movie can help bring more people to MOTU, but so can a new cartoon on the CW or a comic. Hell, a new video game that's actually GOOD.

A movie is icing on the cake, but not essential.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I don't wanna think about it but....if the story is built up in the proper way, it should be a success.
    The last movie was a flop because at the time the right technology was not available, so even the plot was forced to take the easiest direction....and which leaded to failure.
    Think about a LOTR 20 years ago! Simply it was no possible....the LOTR movies We saw was a great success because the technology allowed a fantastic world to become "reality".
    Was Transformers a success? we can say it was, so even MOTU can be