View Poll Results: What if this movie flops?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deathblow to MOTU

29 29.90%
  • I don't know, the thought depresses me

22 22.68%
  • MOTU will eventually get another shot

23 23.71%
  • MOTU will be just fine

23 23.71%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could this movie be MOTU's last chance?

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not sure what would happen. It seems like the collector's line is selling just fine with out a movie. I'm just afraid that there is going to be a lot of money put into the movie and if it tanks powers that be might lose interest in motu.

OK guys Ive read a couple of your post and I think its about time someone with a First Class Honours in Advertising and a bit of experience gives you a perspective.

Motu will never be able to re-capture the same level of success and prolongation it held in the 80s as its current marketing position is far too fragmented. Motu does have one differential advantage and that is its cult status and the loyalty of its adult market.

The current marketing arrangements for most successful mainstream toy runs aimed at the under 15 market survive on the burst technique where the toys have a fairly limited production run, but then the factory closes down and they move on to the next big thing or product. This keeps things manageable because you can create a big media fuss with a feature film release and tie into partnerships with food chains like McDonalds to maintain enthusiasm. Then you hope your toys sell at a profit and release a video-game or two. Eventually all the fuss dies down and the toys end up in the bargain bin.

Disney has successfully cornerstoned this type of marketing for years (think about Aladdin, Pocahontas, Hercules etc). Even the Transformer film followed this method of marketing and Im afraid the new motu film (especially considering the chosen director) will follow suit. If it is a success it will still only be a very brief thing until the next kiddie film hits the shelves.

If motu really wants to take a unique proposition then it needs to work on its existing marketing potential. Matty has taken a great step by making the Classics line for adults and branding it as such. I believe that motu would have even more success if it released an adult fighting game like Soul Caliber for the adult market and directed its remaining efforts towards its safe adult demographic rather then the highly volatile kiddies demographic.

Dont hold your breath guys if this new film is in any way marketed towards children it will be gone before you know it. It wont really matter if it flops or not because a motu kiddies film is really 20 years too late to capitalize on its true market potential. Now if they ditch this director and get someone whos prepared to take it on a more mature approach we could have something worth seeing and taking home on DVD.

I've studied advertising for too long to get this one wrong and its follows a very simple analogy: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Why market towards kids who wont even care about the product in 6 months when you have an adult fan base who have loved the product for over two decades?

i hope you are right ,,
    i too think motu should be marketed toward the more adult fans and if it succeeds then those who like the"kiddy aspect " will get it with toons aimed at the young. it happend with the new(well not much now) transformers toon
    (i forget the title) but it is way kiddy and so is the new batman brave and bold.
    Eternian Beastmaster

But...we pretty much knew all that anyway. It’s pretty obvious that a potential live-action He-Man movie would follow that formula, like Transformers. You're saying it like it’s a bad thing, which, IMO, it isn't. I’m sorry, but I believe a movie, and only a movie, is the only thing that will revitalise He-Man in the way that Mattel so obviously wants, and in a much bigger way than the MOTUC line ever will.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    But...we pretty much knew all that anyway. Its pretty obvious that a potential live-action He-Man movie would follow that formula, like Transformers. You're saying it like its a bad thing, which, IMO, it isn't. Im sorry, but I believe a movie, and only a movie, is the only thing that will revitalise He-Man in the way that Mattel so obviously wants, and in a much bigger way than the MOTUC line ever will.
    A movie will bring MOTU back into the mainstream. However, Mattel shouldn't put all of it's eggs in a movie basket if it failed at the box office or didn't get made.

That's why the movie should supplement an already strong brand (MOTUC is trying to get there). It's like Filmation...MOTU was already good, but adding Filmation made it great.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    A movie will bring MOTU back into the mainstream. However, Mattel shouldn't put all of it's eggs in a movie basket if it failed at the box office or didn't get made.

That's why the movie should supplement an already strong brand (MOTUC is trying to get there). It's like Filmation...MOTU was already good, but adding Filmation made it great.
    I think the big difference between the MOTUC and the original line is that the original line was a successful widescale release where the MOTUC is still rather smallscale, regardless of sellouts. Even with inceases in sales I think that the levels compared to widescale release are quite small and consequently, so is much of the visibility. In one of the Q&A's Mattel said they wouldn't consider brick and mortar type stuff until they also have a multimedia (movie, toon, etc) relaunch to go with it, which makes me think that regardless of how popular MOTUC is it won't go much past the niche MOTU market.

I suspect that MOTUC can continue in its current state for quite a long time (as long as Mattel sees it as being worth the time and effort), regardless of the success of a movie as the people buying it now won't stop. However, the key to a wide release and really big money likely lies with the movie or some other form of entertainment (like a new cartoon).

I don't think people are as interested in this type of stereotypical character. I think the movie is a mistake, as the 1st one was. Even if it fails sometime down the line it will get resurrected again because people aren't originial. If the original artist from the cards and boxes worked with some top tier animation people with a quality script we'd have a good movie. Overall the movie can only harm the franchise not help it at all. Right now MOTUC is selling out and creating a buzz just run with that and be happy. They have a lot of material to work with and I'd rather see a MOTUC Snake Mountain than a MOTU Movie.

Kids are not interested in MOTU anymore unless its like one of your kids on here. I don't think kids are really as into action figures in general as we were in the 80s and 90s. Kids play Guitar Hero on the Wii and use Facebook. The world is insane now. I also don't think the macho man He-Man character is that 'in' right now and kids don't relate. I know he has a softer Prince Adam side but people usually think of the big strong guy. Targetting kids again would be a huge mistake. Overall I hope the movie DOESNT get made.
    My Vintage MOTU Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=160111
    My Others Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169076
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Vintage MOC and MISB For Sale:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...FA-and-non-AFA

Quote Originally Posted by Chaundon View Post
    I'd rather see a MOTUC Snake Mountain than a MOTU Movie.
    So that mentality is the reason why hardly anyone (apart from the same few posters) post at the movie boards. That mentality is also probably the reason why Mattle have found it so hard to move He-Man with the times.

Now I understand.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    So that mentality is the reason why hardly anyone (apart from the same few posters) post at the movie boards. That mentality is also probably the reason why Mattle have found it so hard to move He-Man with the times.

Now I understand.
    Krug, I think the reason for that mentality is because people are scared. They'd rather have something that works, rather than have something unproven.

MOTU fans are always on such high alert for that next big screw-up that could bury He-Man forever. If it isn't the box art, it's website problems. If it isn't the bios, it's the real names.

It's to such a degree, that some fans would not want to see MOTU grow and develop, if there is a slight chance that one false move could screw it up. Unlike G.I. Joe 25th, Transformers and Ninja Turtles, the fear is that MOTU isn't strong enough of a brand without media support to survive another failed line or flopped media support.

i also think alot of it comes from mattel not wanting or being able to do filmation style heman.
    i my self hate filmation he-man compared to ALL other incarnations of him because there was no growth to the story or characters even as a kid it bothered the heck out of me.
    with that said filmation has a huge sway on MOTU still and mattel knows this and im sure they are a lil worried if they make MOTU grow up(like it needs to) that they will lose some fans.
    and im sure some people would but they would still watch it , collect it and just keep there own story line , like we all do .
    thats the other problem there are way to many MOTU cannons and mattel it ok with that, while its fine for 80s toys , kids want a story to fallow , not one that differs from comics to toon to movie.
    IMO
    Eternian Beastmaster

Co-Creator of the NV
    I think it's just a mix of the regular development hell stuff and hesitation.

Spider-Man, a surefire hit took like a decade to get done once it was announced. There was expected release dates at one point of 1995 for X-Men and 1996 for Spider-Man (or maybe it was the other way around). Superman went through a ton of ideas and iterations before they finally got around to making Returns.

A lot of movies just take a long time to get going and I think this is one of them.

The other thing is that there's a big potential for a flop. Most of MOTU hasn't done well outside of the original series. Of the mass produced lines, only one out of 3 He-Man lines was considered successful, and that was the original (I am counting PoP as part of this since she rode He-Man's wave of popularity when it was still big). MOTUC is doing great, but so what? It's not a mass produced line and it is in no way an indicator of whether a movie will do well or not, because Mattel already knew that there are thousands of MOTU fans out there. Thing is that for a movie to work, you need millions of viewers.

At the moment I think they're just taking things a day at a time and getting a feel for the market. There's no need to hurry anything so why should they rush announcements out to us?

Heroic Warrior
    "the macho man He-Man"

Bite into a Slim Jim , Skeletor........ooooooooooh yeah

He-Man never gives up :

"I'll never kneel to you !"
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !