Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who doesnt want 200x style in MOTUC?

Heroic Warrior

Who doesnt want 200x style in MOTUC?

***This is a thread for those who don't want 2002 designs in the MOTUC line. It is not for debate of MOTU vs 2002 --- JVS3***

I am just wondering if others feel like me. Its not that I dont like the 200x figures, becuase I do for the most part. The bulk of my collection is 200x. But with this line I dont want those styles. Other then the characters that are only available thru the MYP toon, and even those dont have to have the 200x look about them really.

There are a couple reasons I feel this way. One, retailers and collectors in general see 200x as a failure. A big one. Its not the toys fault, but more Mattel for how they handled it and the disatrubtion and stuff. But it happend none-the-less. And the stactions didnt sell really well either. At least at the end. SO that whole style is associtated with big big issues and I think that being brought into MOTUC could do some damage.

Two, I want this entire line to look the same. I want it to have the same design and style all the way thru. That is one of the biggest high points in this line to me. Bringing all of the MOTU verse under one umbrella. All figures in one unique style. i dont want half the line to have one style and the other half another style.

Three, MOTU needs new blood. A new fresh start. And anything from 200x wont help that.

Four, cost. The 200x line and its supporters are pushing for unique sculpts. That adds big cost. Even the additional styling adds cost over the classic streamlined look. And the more profitable the line is (MOTUC) the longer it will last and more opportunitys to get additonal items we have. Personally, Id rather have a new Cringer and Battle Cat, or a Snake Mountian then a 200x style hordack, or leech, or any other figures. I know there will be a need for more molds/sculpts in this line, but Id rather they be used for new unique figures then 200x ones we already have. Id rather have a NA slush head then a second hordak in the 200x style. Iknow it can be done cheaper, but still. Id rather have a new figure in MOTUC style then another release of a figure in the hybrid MOTUC/200x style. People are complaining that we are getting the same figures again, that complaining would get even worse if we get additional figures that have already been done in MOTUC, just with a 200x stly added.

It has been said by Mattel, and other official people, that IF any 200x stuff is done it would be later in the line. That means it would be a whole new release. And, again, I would rather have a new character or figure in MOTUC then in the hybrid style (im gonna call it 200C from now on). Id rather get gift packs, vehicles, castles, animals, army builders, or obscure characters even. Stuff that hasnt ever been done in any form, or stuff that hasnt been done since the 80's. Stuff like that.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    Am I the only one that feels this way?
    After mulling it over for awhile, I'm with you 100% on this. The economical, cost-cutting method is the way to go with this line.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    count me in. The thing is, I really wanted Filmation styled toys but we're not getting any so maybe one or two 200X could be great. But overall I never had any love for that 200X line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Warrior
    Who doesn't want 200x style in MOTUC?
    **raises hand**

If they get to the point of having done all the originals then I'm fine with it. But I really prefer the classic look updates. Never bought a single 200x figure, so I have no preference for that line.

I wouldn't mind some added detail here and there, (which it seems the 4H are doing). But, in general I like the direction that MotUC is taking. Seems to be the best way to go.

Add me to this list. I want this line to be CLASSIC, just as it says. Keep it uniform throughout. I liked 200X, I have the good 90% of it, but this is a CLASSIC line.. it needs to stay that way.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

yah i agree, 200x is not CLASSIC. i don't mind them, in fact i have alot of them but i would rather see 4HM and Mattel focus on the 81-87 line.
    Most Powerful Man In The Universe

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TE-MAN View Post
    yah i agree, 200x is not CLASSIC. i don't mind them, in fact i have alot of them but i would rather see 4HM and Mattel focus on the 81-87 line.

I dont care if they focus on the toys from 81-87, just that this line keeps this style. Id love to have NA figures and even characters from 200x, just all in the same style.

I don't want them and wont buy them. Keep it classic. I dont get why people think this classic line has no detail. It has tons of detail. The washes alone put this line above the 200x line in terms of detail IMO. I think this line is going to look like a far more mature product.

I think whatever fits in with the over all feel of the new line. Then I am fine with that. alittle of the classic and alittle of the 200X would be cool. BUt only if it fits in with the consistency of the line.

See what I am afarid of in this line is the lenght in time. This line with one figure a month can last a really long time. I hope that the King Grayskull will still fit in with the figures in 4 years from now. With everything changing who knows what these figures will look like in the future.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I dont care if they focus on the toys from 81-87, just that this line keeps this style. Id love to have NA figures and even characters from 200x, just all in the same style.
    Pretty much my feelings; the Horsemen have come up with a style that combines simplicity with great detail. While I still drool over some of the stuff that was done in the 2002 line (you can spend hours just looking at the fur on Beastman, where you'd swear every hair was individually sculpted), I think King Grayskull is a perfect example of a 2002 character in classic style. That's pretty much what I hope to see more of.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I'm gonna say "no" to 200x. Some of the designs were neat, but I was really irritated with how alot of the villains were seemingly designed with "hurrr Imma monster!" in mind. Beast Man, Whiplash, Clawful, Tunglashor, I thought they all sucked. The Classics Beast Man looks so much better, and I can guarantee that Clawful and Tunglashor will look better. Whiplash, I'm on the fence over, because he NEVER looked good.
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!

Pass on 200X. It had its run and as fun as it was, its over. I'd rather get other classic characters than more versions of the same characters. Keep it Classic and when the line pics up toss a 200X version in there to see how it does. I don't think everybody gonna want multiple figs due to subtle differences. The changes are not gonna be drastic enough to matter and then we'll never hear the end of it
    Last edited by LionO; August 22, 2008 at 01:59pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I would say go with original Mattel designs or MYP designs over Filmation designs.

I got to be honest, I don't care for the Filmation animation at all anymore. Especially Hordak.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Maybe 'design' and 'style' need to be separated when referring to these figures. Look at the Hordak Emiliano drew - it's the a MOTUC STYLE figure using the 200X DESIGN.

In my humble opinion the 200x style was far from outstanding.

It was a confused homage to anime and pokemon. Not He-Man.

The style had no identity except trying to be too many things.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I think the artists involved are excellent and brilliant at what they do. I just didn't like it.

The Classic style of MOTU is something that should be embraced. It's powerful and it's a great thing. Changing it to something that was considered "popular" didn't work from my point of view.

Going back to the basics is a great thing.

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

i am vehemently against the idea of the 200x line having anything to do with MOTUC. mattel has stated repeatedly that these new figures draw their inspiration from the classic figures, cardbacks and mini comics. therefore, the 200x designs should stay with the 200x figures. i have nothing against the people who like the 200x designs, but why are there so many who are clamoring for MOTUC to resemble the 200x line? it's called Classics for a reason. let it stay that way. you got yours. let us have ours.

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    count me in. The thing is, I really wanted Filmation styled toys but we're not getting any so maybe one or two 200X could be great. But overall I never had any love for that 200X line.
    same here. when i first heard about the new line this was what i was really hoping for but the new figures have won me over.
    Last edited by Man-E-Toys; August 22, 2008 at 04:10pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    In that sense, Mattel may have made the same mistake a number of folks in the industry made: forcing an anime style on a property whether it actually fit or not. It was subtle in MOTU outside of He-Man, but some other properties, like Sigma 6, were far more overt. Problem is, when the fad passes, so does interest if that's all that the property had going for it. When Scarlett, the main, tough female lead, looks like she's 12 years old with a body makeover, you don't have to wonder why the property didn't have the legs to outlast the fad.

I think this approach has more legs in that sense, as the style was chosen specifically to fit the property.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Soft.Delicious.Nutritious Matt79's Avatar
    Count me in!
    I was a fan of the 200X line and I still love my 200X collection. I would love to see this line continue and I would surely keep on collecting it. MOTUC combines story and characters from both 200X and classic (plus NA and POP), but it is a completely new line with a new/old coherent style. I don't want to see any 200X style in this line as don't want to see any vintage style in the 200X line. They are different. Like Man-E-Toys said: "... it's called Classics for a reason. let it stay that way. you got yours. let us have ours." We had our 200X line but it is over now. Please accept and enjoy the MOTUC line just the way it is.

I don't want that style in MOTUC, keep away the techno-armor at all cost!
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

If this Classics line lasts a good long while, which I hope most emphatically that it does, then I'd be quite pleased to see 200X styles...and even new styles...make their way into the line. I think, in fact, if the line is successful enough, that that only makes sense. Eventually, they'll run out of ways to reuse the parts and to classicify all the characters. If we're going to get some NA figures, then why not 200X style as well? IMO, 200X is more appropriately MotU than NA ever has, or ever will, be.

…I love Classics…
    …but 200X is my Masters of the Universe...
    { My Band | Twitter Me! | MastersCast | Lioncourt's Musings | Ping Me }

Count me in.

I want the simplistic designs of the classic card backs.

No extra techo detail extra and no anime influence.

Honestly, I don't think Mattel is going to be lose a whole lot of sales from the hardcore 200X fans. - The ones who are saying they won't touch MOTUC. Eventually I think at least 80% of those fans will cave and start buying these. I know I bought a lot of 200X stuff that I didn't really even like all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Honestly, I don't think Mattel is going to be lose a whole lot of sales from the hardcore 200X fans. - The ones who are saying they won't touch MOTUC. Eventually I think at least 80% of those fans will cave and start buying these. I know I bought a lot of 200X stuff that I didn't really even like all that much.
    I think you're right Tallstar. I was the same way with some of the 200X stuff too, but I caved in and snatched up everything in sight. It's MotU, fans will get that itch and will have to satisfy it! LOL

MOTU Addict/Horde Wannabe Spikewolfe's Avatar
    I liked 200X, and I would have loved to see the rest of the original figures done in 200X style, as well as Evilseed, Count Marzo, and the Faceless One added to the line. However I'd like MOTUC to be MOTUC. I'd like it remain free of 200X influences except for MOTUC versions of variants that didn't appear in the original line like Snake Armor He-Man, Blood Skeletor, and the Slime Pit Mutant. I love MOTU, but I'd prefer to keep the various incarnations distinct. Maybe someday we'll get the remaining characters missing from the 200X line done in 200X style. I think they'd sell well on Mattycollector.com!