Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" MOTUC Stratos Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I've been wodering about that myself. That articulation is going to be a problem with some figures. Dragstor comes to mind.
    Yeah I wondered about Dragstor too. I also wonder how they'll solve the ab-articulation on the characters that depend on their clip on armour like Fisto or Clawful.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Likes: Very retro, head sculpt has just enough detail to make it pop.

Loves: The extra detail on the armor and feathers is CRAZY. I can't wait to see what he looks like with arms bent/raised!

Ehs: I was kinda hoping they'd all be the same size, and the feet are slightly jarring as I'm conditioned to looking for gray-toed goodness.

If I were really hardcore I'd buy two beastmen so I'd have one as a foot donor for Stratos. But in the meantime I'm lovin' the overall look.

Great job Mattel!
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    Ehs: I was kinda hoping they'd all be the same size...
    They are the same size. Look at the pic of Stratos from behind and you can see how much height he loses with his legs bent how they are.

Now take a look at this image. The ghosted boxes are identical. You can see that from the waist to the top of their heads is exactly the same measurement.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Stratos looks awesome!! This MOTUC line is a perfect combination between the original toy line and the 200x line figures. I love it!!

Heroic Warrior
    LOVING Stratos, except for the "grey socks" feet and the lack of articulation where his "wings" meet his "wrists".

Ideally, Stratos would be given Beast-Man's feet in "grey" and have ball-jointed articulation where his wings meet his wrists to allow for movement and posing of the wings.

BUT grudgingly accept that Mattel/4H are basing their designs off the "Eight-Back" card and as such, the figure is a true representation of that design.

While I don't like the idea of variants as such (unless one can elect to purchase a variant), a variant of Stratos with his reverse colours (blue wings, etc) and Beast-Man's feet would be pretty cool (even if his wings remain fixed).

Well, I think the feet are absurd.

The fact that the 4H updated them to be real feet in '02 ought to give the hint that sock-feet make absolutely no sense.

Why, why, why we have to stay so true to these illustrations that aren't immediately pertinent to the actual essence of the character is something I don't understand.

What I mean is, (as a fan) do the cardback illustrations rank high as an aspect you love and want this line to be? No, not to this degree, IMO.

I love those old minis as much as anyone but have you ever looked at Beast-Man's illustration on the back of the early ones? He looks like a red freak of nature. Thank god they didn't take it that far.

Didn't Stratos have boots in the Filmation series? That's how I remember seeing him, but I could be wrong.

As for his new figure, I think his "sock feet" look like some type of shoes or short, well, really short boots. And I like 'em! Reminds of Superman! (the color scheme helps too)
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Onekorn View Post
    Didn't Stratos have boots in the Filmation series? That's how I remember seeing him, but I could be wrong.

As for his new figure, I think his "sock feet" look like some type of shoes or short, well, really short boots. And I like 'em! Reminds of Superman! (the color scheme helps too)
    I can't see them as boots, personally. Who wears boots the same exact colour as their skin? (or hairy feathery bits, as may be the case)

That's what throws me off.

Maybe if Mattel release a blue wing version of Stratos they will give him grey versions of beastman's feet?
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    They are the same size. Look at the pic of Stratos from behind and you can see how much height he loses with his legs bent how they are.

Now take a look at this image. The ghosted boxes are identical. You can see that from the waist to the top of their heads is exactly the same measurement.
    If you look at their arms and legs, you'll get a different story. While Stratos' forearms are much longer than Skeletor's, his lower legs are much shorter.. which directly effects the height of the figures.
    I guess I would have liked the upperbody to be longer in order to compensate, but it's not a deal breaker!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Inhibitor; September 18, 2008 at 10:04am.

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    After looking at many pics I have to say-
    Please fix the sock feet.
    Give us the monkey fit.

Now I can live with the sock feet, it just looks funny-lol.
    But not the end of the world.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

If you look at their arms and legs, you'll get a different story. While Stratos' forearms are much longer than Skeletor's, his lower legs are much shorter.. which directly effects the height of the figures.
    I guess I would have liked the upperbody to be longer in order to compensate, but it's not a deal breaker!
    They are in different angles dude...
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

That's what the vintage figures look like. The Beast-Man body has different proportions than everyone else and is bent over.

Here Stratos' leg is slightly more slanted than Skelly's but I don't think it's enough to cover the difference, but hey I could be wrong!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't believe this is being debated. We were told the figures (with the exception of KG) would all be the same size. There are things like perspective and angles that play tricks with the way things look in relation to one another. Not to mention Stratos and Skeletor are each posed differently. Why jump to conclusions?
    Last edited by chuc98; September 18, 2008 at 12:06pm.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    That's what the vintage figures look like. The Beast-Man body has different proportions than everyone else and is bent over.
    The only thing that gave the original beastman toy a hunched look was the red armor, otherwise the beast molds had the same posture. A little slimmer too. I'm glad these molds give the beastmen real heft (though not as much as say 2002 Beastman), they can't help but outshine the originals. Like I said- not a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Well, I think the feet are absurd.

The fact that the 4H updated them to be real feet in '02 ought to give the hint that sock-feet make absolutely no sense.

Why, why, why we have to stay so true to these illustrations that aren't immediately pertinent to the actual essence of the character is something I don't understand.

What I mean is, (as a fan) do the cardback illustrations rank high as an aspect you love and want this line to be? No, not to this degree, IMO.

I love those old minis as much as anyone but have you ever looked at Beast-Man's illustration on the back of the early ones? He looks like a red freak of nature. Thank god they didn't take it that far.

again it's 8-back not the min-comics, I'm also glad they didn't go that route with beastman, that look was awful. but on the same token I'm glad they didn't go the classic figure route with beastman and stuck to the 8-back design. as a fan yes the 8-back illustration ranks very high for me, it's why most people prefer that mer-man head (and have loved since the 2002 line) because the 8-back illustrations and the old box art is the MOTU many of us first knew, and the horsemen are scultping with that in mind. it's something they did for the 200x line as well to a degree, but that case they went more realistic and in this case they are coming with a more retro take on it. hence the classics label. I can understand people not liking the sock feet but again it's just feet. personally I'd prefer Skeletor to have his five toes like in the minis and in the 2002 design, but the 8-back 3 toes is fine with me. not my fav look but meh, I can deal with it. generally speaking my eyes don't tend to go past the knees when I'm looking at my figures, that's not to say I don't want them to my likin from head to toe, but I don't usually look at or see the feet.
    Last edited by krosfyah; September 18, 2008 at 12:23pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I'm developing a foot-o-phobia!!!

It's all Stratos' fault!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

that's just nasty.

you know this foot discussion reminded me of the uproar over Grizzlor's feet when the pics of him came out. people were up in arms that he had boots on, then those that liked it said "hey the classic figure had boots so that's why this one does" and people said that it doesn't suit his character to have boots they look silly he should be barefoot etc. seems there are some serious foot fetishists in the motu fandom huh?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I can't believe this is being debated. We were told the figures (with the exception of KG) would all be the same size. There are things like perspective and angles that play tricks with the way things look in relation to one another. Not to mention Stratos and Skeletor are each posed differently. Why jump to conclusions?
    I think with no actual MOTUC figures out save KG, until December, folks are gonna nitpick over every little thing imaginable until something better comes along to talk about.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I have too much spare time right now...
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think with no actual MOTUC figures out save KG, until December, folks are gonna nitpick over every little thing imaginable until something better comes along to talk about.
    We saw the figures side by side in the pics of the glass case at ComiCon. True they were different figures, but there were no noticeable differences in height.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Here Stratos' leg is slightly more slanted than Skelly's but I don't think it's enough to cover the difference, but hey I could be wrong!
    It's actually a huge difference. Skeletor's leg is locked, Stratos is considerably bent.

Same thing with the arm. Stratos, are fully extended, Skeletor's are bent.

It's all an illusion of pose and perspective.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    We saw the figures side by side in the pics of the glass case at ComiCon. True they were different figures, but there were no noticeable differences in height.
    Sure, but that logic isn't going to stop folks from pouring over every detail, especially since the figure is months away and they have nothing else MOTUC to think about. You think Stratos is bad? Imagine Teela...that figure will easily go over ten pages of discussion the first day we see her. From hair, to face, to eyes, to bust, to legs, to feet. I'll bet we'll even get some "her butt is too flat" posts...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Seems like his upper legs are bending backward with his lower legs more or less perpendicular to the surface. Again, could be wrong, but it looks like that's how they choose to accentuate the simian build: long forearms with short legs. I can dig it.