Thread: Club NA 02 "Quest for the Crystals"

Club NA 02 "Quest for the Crystals"

Episode 2 discussion when ready!
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I watched this the other day.

It was neat to see them travel to Denebria. I sensed that Flipshot and Hydron were a little hesistant to travel with He-Man and preferred staying on the ship. Are most from Primus kinda like the Eloi from "The Time Machine"? Caz definitely isn't like that.

Also, liked the Meliac character. He definitely had honor by sparing Caz and later tossing the sword back to He-Man. I hope he shows up again in a future episode. He helps show that not all of Denebria is evil. This episode had a nice sci-fi feel to it with Gorn City, the aliens, and the mines.

Funny nod to the MOTU movie with Skeletor falling and rising from the well at the end.

As for earlier in the episode and the lesson...I guess Slush Head is supposed to be quite dimwitted.
    Support Crystal Moonbeam in MOTUC - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...nbeam-in-MOTUC!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Episode 2 wasn't terribly thrilling for me, but it did have it moments. To pull the strings of my nostalgic heart, I quite enjoyed the narrator's reference to Castle Grayskull during the recap portion at the beginning of the episode as well as Flipshot and Hydron deciding to name the Starship after He-Man's home world.

While I am sure everyone knew Caz would end up stowed away in the ship, I do like how he was used. He-Man was able to deduce that if he saved the bad guy with his sword, since the bad guy did have a heart by letting Caz go, there was a pretty good chance the guy would end up siding with He-Man and not Skeletor.

There was also some good use of screen time between Skeletor and Flogg to solidify Skeletor's manipulation of him (and funny that Slush Head sees through it a bit).

And I agree with The All American -- loved the nod to the ending of the MOTU movie (even if unintentional?).

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

I really enjoyed this episode. Good overall plot that progressed the overall story of the series.

The scenes between Flogg and Skeletor were excellent. Any time Skeletor manipulates Flogg it's great. It was nice to see Slush Head get some solo time considering we are only in the second episode. I was really impressed with Gorn City. The animation during these scenes was really good with all the different mutants. Meliac seemed like an interesting character I wanted to learn more about. If I remember correctly, he does show up again later on.

Caz is still REALLY annoying. He's up there with the kids from Transformers Armada as one of the worse "cartoon kids" in animation. Why is Flipshot portrayed as such an idiot?

I think you guys are really "grasping at straws" about the ending scene with Skeletor being a nod to the movie. Just cause it mentions it on the DVD is meaningless. If Skeletor had said the same line, "I'll be back", or something then I'd agree. Showing him surfacing out of the water is hardly a "nod." This is clearly a case of apophenia.

(1) Master Sebrian: “The Oasis!? Drissi and Caz are up there!”

He-man: “Drissi!?”

I see He-man is only thinking about the ladies. I know it’s probably because He-man hadn’t met Caz at that time, but it still sounds funny.

(2) I love the goofy circus music playing while Skeletor is explaining his plan to Slush Head, indicating Slush Head's limited mental capacities.

(3) Tri-fuzium generator. Another Trinity reference Jack?

(4) I love how Hydron and Flipshot are so excited to raise the Starship.

(5) I just now noticed that when Hydron says to Flipshot “We’re going to get our wings at last” that must mean that they’ve never actually flown before? We don’t see them fly the one-man fighters in episode one, so maybe they’ve only ever flown the simulator? I never noticed that until today. Of course there is the implied fact that they’ve been to Denebria before, so maybe not.

(6) Making up dialog here, just for the fun of it.

He-man: If we let you come along Caz, your sister would whip us!”

Drissi: I sure would! Fighting mutants isn’t a boys job. It’s a 16 year old girls job. *Drissi slides on a Halloween style space fighter mask and runs into the starship Eternia shooting finger guns shouting "Pew pew!"*

(7) I love the way He-man says “Caz, what are you doing here?” after he leaves the starship to go to Denebria.

(8) “The first rule of being a good soldier is to learn to obey orders.” I have a feeling that will be mentioned in a later episode.

(9) I really like the trading post scene as well.

(10) Still not too keen on the all-too-convenient powers of He-man’s sword in this series. There are times where it feels like an all-too-easy way out, in terms of writing. Not always, but on occasion.

(11) Caz is allowed to fly home. Don’t forget that, it might come back around again as well.

(12) The Moral. I really like the animation of this one.

Master of New Adventures!
    3, yes, the Trinity 'fused' together. I'm busted. But you're only getting it in hindsight.

5, actually was an homage to Clarence getting his wings in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. You should see my home during the Christmas holiday season.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    (1) Master Sebrian: “The Oasis!? Drissi and Caz are up there!”

He-man: “Drissi!?”

I see He-man is only thinking about the ladies. I know it’s probably because He-man hadn’t met Caz at that time, but it still sounds funny.

(2) I love the goofy circus music playing while Skeletor is explaining his plan to Slush Head, indicating Slush Head's limited mental capacities.

(3) Tri-fuzium generator. Another Trinity reference Jack?

(4) I love how Hydron and Flipshot are so excited to raise the Starship.

(5) I just now noticed that when Hydron says to Flipshot “We’re going to get our wings at last” that must mean that they’ve never actually flown before? We don’t see them fly the one-man fighters in episode one, so maybe they’ve only ever flown the simulator? I never noticed that until today. Of course there is the implied fact that they’ve been to Denebria before, so maybe not.

(6) Making up dialog here, just for the fun of it.

He-man: If we let you come along Caz, your sister would whip us!”

Drissi: I sure would! Fighting mutants isn’t a boys job. It’s a 16 year old girls job. *Drissi slides on a Halloween style space fighter mask and runs into the starship Eternia shooting finger guns shouting "Pew pew!"*

(7) I love the way He-man says “Caz, what are you doing here?” after he leaves the starship to go to Denebria.

(8) “The first rule of being a good soldier is to learn to obey orders.” I have a feeling that will be mentioned in a later episode.

(9) I really like the trading post scene as well.

(10) Still not too keen on the all-too-convenient powers of He-man’s sword in this series. There are times where it feels like an all-too-easy way out, in terms of writing. Not always, but on occasion.

(11) Caz is allowed to fly home. Don’t forget that, it might come back around again as well.

(12) The Moral. I really like the animation of this one.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 13, 2014 at 11:08pm.

I really like Flogg's look. He's a good thug-looking character. Dumb as a box of rocks though.

lol at Sebrian's reaction to the transformation. Sebrian is so cool and collected so far. Like that a lot.

Slushhead needs more signing roles.

I can see Kaz getting on my nerves a bit.

First appearance of Starship Eternia....very cool.

Kaz stop sneaking on, go back to the flock. Know your place.

Cyclops enemies were done well, some kindness by the leader sending Kaz away instead of tossing him down the pit.

Starting to get used to Skeletor's voice, I'm rather enjoying it.

The moral! Haha love the villain moral, excellent.
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

- As it's been stated: I really like Skeletor and Flogg's interactions. It's great that Flogg doesn't seem especially stupid, just desperate to prove himself. Skeletor is obviously quick thinking, and Flogg doesn't want to be bowled over in the intelligence department. I think, given the chance, Flogg could eventually find a better way to do things. Skeletor, of course, only makes things worse.

- HA! I love Sebrian and I'm only the second episode in. "It's gona take some time for me to get used to that." Once again, I have to compliment his voice actor. He brings it home.

- Ah man, I LOVE walking in on the politician type guy in the middle of the argument with the scientists. Really shows some realism. It's a natural conversation to have, and anyone would wonder why time and resources are going into a time machine when their shields are failing and attacks are imminent. And then Sebrian brings in one guy as the result of all the time and effort. Good stuff!

- Geeze, Slush-Head is a jerk! Yeah yeah, he's a villain, plain and simple. Still, he sees people running and jumps to "SHOOT 'EM!" and sing about it in the process! You gotta watch out for that one.

- I'm glad Flogg stands up for his own men.

- Love Skeletor's interaction with Slush-Head! "Not getting any of this? Alright, outta the way."

- Man, how do they get their crystals normally, if they're on the enemy's home planet? Or do they only need new ones when the old ones are damaged?

- AH, COOL! I didn't know the Starship Eternia started out all old and moss-covered. I love that kinda stuff. Perhaps I missed it, but have they had this shield up for years, or centuries? And I wonder if there were more of those starships at one point.

- Oh no, here comes the kid sidekick! I actually like how he's handled. Not amazingly annoying, all told. He-Man handles him well, too. Not too harsh, though of course, in a normal situation, you'd send him right back instead of bringing him directly into a high-danger situation. BUT...if you're gona bring him, at least He-Man is trying to teach him to think about things before doing them.

- I like the one-eyed dude. Nice to see him care about the child.

- I like seeing how He-Man's sword is a tool as well as a weapon. It was the same in the Filmation toon....but there, it just seemed brainless. He-Man would throw the sword at ANYTHING. If someone so much as sneezed, He-Man would toss his freakin' SWORD OF POWER. In this one, they find better ways to have him use his sword, but not get rid of it OR use it to cut people down. The only reason he throws it is a knee-jerk reaction to save that guy's life. I'm likin' it.

- Episode two and He-Man and Skeletor have another clash! Ah, so good! Quick, but it's something more than "He-Man throws Skeletor in a puddle" or some junk like the Filmation toon. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by having most of my favorite cartoons in the action-filled 90's.

- And I finally see why it's called the Starship "Eternia." Neat idea! I wonder if that was the idea all along, or if it was created for the show? I remember being confused by the name when I was a kid. Was it FROM Eternia? Named after it? If it was named after Eternia, did that mean it was as big as a city? All questions going through my mind, back in the day. It's a simple answer, but cool.

Overall a neat episode with great handling of the prerequisite kid sidekick.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

The girls and I watched this one tonight. First, they had some further thoughts about the transformation... Kylie really likes the fire all around him part, and Teela thinks the reason he now says "By the Power of ETERNIA" is because "he's the champion of Eternia, so he now calls on the power of the whole planet since he's away from it."
    They both find Skeletor funnier in this than Filmation. Also, Kylie really liked the design of the mutants' ship, and Teela really liked when Skeletor "poof" showed up in the mine with Meliac, and they both enjoyed Flogg's little song as he was attacking Drissi and Caz.
    Teela brought up a good question here though, that I hope one of you, or maybe even Jack, can help explain... she (and now I) didn't understand why did Skeletor want/send Flogg to take pictures (purportedly as some means to "lure He-Man away from Primus")... this just didn't seem to make any sense to her/us!
    Oh, and Kylie didn't like that Caz kept making "bad choices" in going/doing what he was told not to.
    For my part, I kinda felt like the best part of this episode was the recap of the first, in terms of solidifying the epicness and new direction. I really loved the "Hero of Castle Grayskull" mention in particular.
    I also really enjoyed Sebrian's comment "this is no ordinary man" to give gravitas to He-Man's importance/character... and Kylie actually remembered that this was a repeat of his line from the first episode! (which I myself had not remembered.)
    I also really liked how the episode (particularly Hydron and Flipshot) made a big deal about raising the starship, giving it a true "weight" of importance, which is of course made all the cooler when they then decide to name it Eternia.
    I felt Skeletor's "come to me, He-Man!" speech was abit too extreme and off-kilter.
    All three of us wished Drissi had wished He-man, Hydron, and Flipshot a "good journey" as opposed to a "safe journey" (What can I say, we adore the movie... it's the first movie they ever watched, and we've seen it DOZENS of times! lol.)
    That said, I may have to disagree with you, Bonehead, about grasping at straws regarding the nod to the film toward the end. At simply the point where He-Man and Skeletor were BATTLING, next to the pit, my girls already called out "this is like in the movie", and then of course he falls down the pit/shaft, and then pops back up out of the water! There was NO DOUBT in either of their minds that this scene was played out in homage to the movie, and they're five! And, Teela thought it was actually funny when he said "somedays nothing goes right" (instead of "I'll be back!")
    All-in-all, a fairly good episode, if not as seemingly grandiose as the first. There was hardly any scientists, which was nice. lol. I DO like the new "powers" of the sword, but also kinda feel like it is odd/convenient at times what it's shown to do. eh.
    Lastly, Kylie brought up what I thought was an interesting observation/correlation on her part... toward the end when they make the comment about "you can't do any worse than Flipshot" flying the starship, Kylie harkened that back to the moral segment at the end of the first episode, where he was not wearing his seatbelt. LOL!

until next time...

Skeletor, Slush Head and Flogg remain my top 3 favorite things about NA. Skeletor is just plain awesome. Such a great personality and the voice just makes it complete. Slushy, oh my word. Could there be a better Mutant? Nay. This guy rocks. New ringtone.

Sebrian, I felt he became "real" this episode. Falling into, and fitting the wise father figure type. I had a better connection this episode. Villian PSA was good too, I wish there were more of those. Caz not as annoying this time around, very strange. I like Hydron more than Flipshot now, even stranger.

Now my dislikes:
    Oh, for the love of Primus! Color his nose you lazy oaf! Geeze lol.
    He-Man annoys me so bad. He sounds confused and delivers no, or the wrong amount of emotion. They named the ship in his honor and he says thanks with as much enthusiasm as an 8 year old getting socks for Christmas.

A really good episode overall. I give it 4 crystals out of 5.

Oh, and nod or not, we can at least all agree Skeletor got the shaft, right? *ducks tomatoes

Another decent episode.

Flogg: Get those things out of my face! -- Makes me think, what are those things that protrude out from Slush Head's armor?? What purpose do they serve? If I were Flogg, I'd be annoyed by them too!

Sebrian: I'll have to get used to that. -- Nice line after seeing Adam transform into He-Man right in front of him.

I also noticed that He-Man was only worried about Drissi and not Caz when he heard they were in trouble

The trip to Denebria was cool. I like how we see He-Man's signature character show through when he saves Meliac, who up to that point had been mostly an enemy to He-Man. However, it was strange that He-Man had to basically save Meliac's life, yet when Skeletor falls down the hole, He-Man is pretty much like "have a nice trip!"....a bit uncharacteristic.

Caz totally filled the Orko role in this episode by sneaking on board and not listening to instructions. He's still less annoying than any child character in the Filmation series.

Flipshot seems to be the butt of a lot of jokes. Doesn't seem too smart.

I noticed they used these tubes in this episode, presumably to teleport to other locations. I can't recall if these are consistently used throughout the series or just in this episode.

Also, something very strange and unique to this series, I believe, is that villains are part of the morals at the end of the episode. Children are supposed to learn from villains??
    Last edited by wayne-klops; August 13, 2014 at 08:48pm.
    Don't let ANGELLA, DRAGSTOR, BLAST ATTACK, SSSQUEEZE, MULTI-BOT, ROTAR, TWISTOID, SAUROD, PEEKABLUE, PERFUMA, AND MARA get away! Sign up for a 2015 subscription this weekend and complete your collection!

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    The trip to Denebria was cool. I like how we see He-Man's signature character show through when he saves Meliac, who up to that point had been mostly an enemy to He-Man. However, it was strange that He-Man had to basically save Meliac's life, yet when Skeletor falls down the hole, He-Man is pretty much like "have a nice trip!"....a bit uncharacteristic.
    I never put that together! Maybe he has a bit of Casey Jones in him. "Oops!" *attempted murder*

I love how Drissi and Caz just happen to be around whenever something is happening. slushy taking pictures and then later Starship Eternia launching. Those animals are cute too.

Flipshot and Hydron looked really excited to be fighting again. The poor guys have never seen battle and they have trained for it. I felt so bad for them, when He-Man just told them to wait on the Starship while he goes out on his own. Not a cool move, He-Man!

anyone have a thought/answer with regard to my question about slush head taking pictures? Teela still wants to know!! Jack???