Thread: He-Man/Thundercats #6 | Official Talkback thread (SPOILERS)

He-Man/Thundercats #6 | Official Talkback thread (SPOILERS)

HE-MAN/THUNDERCATS
    CURRENT MINI-SERIES

Issue #6 of 6
    Script: Rob David & Lloyd Goldfine
    Art & Cover: Freddie E. Williams II
    Color: Jeremy Colwell

The epic series comes to the only conclusion possible: all-out war against Mumm-Ra and Skeletor! He-Man and Lion-O confront the diabolical duo in the heart of the magical, mystical Castle Grayskull, but the battle royal quickly expands across the multiverse itself!

ON SALE MARCH 15th
    At your local comic shop,
    or digitally from Amazon or Comixology.

The Exclusive Preview of He-Man/Thundercats #6 is here from He-man.Org!
    (click on the images to enlarge to full size)

Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you very much Val!

Wow! What a Preview! He-Man, Lion-O and Battle Cat returning to Eternia, only to find out that Mumm-Ator has almost won. The Thundercats, the Masters, all the heroic Defenders of Grayskull, are badly defeated. Now the only hope stands to Grayskull's Power, in order to reverse Skeletor's and Mumm-Ra's evil, and undo this madness. There is not other solution, but face and stop Mumm-Ator before gain the full Power. Otherwise everything is doomed!

The Artwork once more is spectacular! There are a lot of Easter Eggs as well. The Dimensional Portals of Castle Grayskull, the famous sculpted face in the gate that guarded the Secrets, now broken in ruins, indicating that Mumm-Ator has arrived inside the Castle, where no one else could previously do. Everything is now at the edge of destruction. And my God, the last page of the preview! The 30 years old dream of every 80's child coming true! He-Man and Lion-O, the 2 legendary heroic, sword wielding warriors, finally stand to fight side by side, with the Sword of Power and the Sword of Omens in their hands! What a glorious moment! A big thanks to Freddie E Williams II and Jeremy Colwell!

The escalating plot, the rising of the stakes, issue after issue, now leads to the most epic, heroic and long overdue final stand! Prepare for the ultimate face off!

As for the narrator, i believe that this time is Mumm-Ra or Mumm-Ator.

The only bad thing...That this is the final issue. No more comics after that.
    Last edited by granamyr80; March 13, 2017 at 04:23pm.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Thank you very much Val!
    Yes, thanks indeed, it was worth the wait.
    As for the narrator, i believe that this time is Mumm-Ra or Mumm-Ator.
    I'm leaning more towards Mumm-Ra as the narrative boxes are red, also seems unfair not to give Mumm-Ra his own solo voice.
    The only bad thing...That this is the final issue. No more comics after that.
    I know, I'll have mixed feelings reading this. I know I'll enjoy it (and I always read this last from my weekly pile of comics, saving the best for last eh? ) but afterwards, that's it.

I often get my comics Tuesday night (Tuesday morning N.America, afternoon Europe) when the LCS has just gotten its stock and read them when I get home, and I really have to exercise my patience here and not spoil the enjoyment by reading it too fast. This will be a measured read as I'll take in all the artwork of each panel.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I often get my comics Tuesday night (Tuesday morning N.America, afternoon Europe) when the LCS has just gotten its stock and read them when I get home, and I really have to exercise my patience here and not spoil the enjoyment by reading it too fast. This will be a measured read as I'll take in all the artwork of each panel.
    The artwork is indeed spectacular here. Especially the page with the insides of Castle Grayskull. It nails the mystical nature of the Castle perfectly. The chaotic labyrinth that leads to Dimensional Portals, but also often to dead ends, which protect the secrets of the Castle, it justifies the old box art's description as Fortress of Mystery and Power. It also fortifies the idea of the Castle as interdimensional crossroad, that helds the Universe or the Multiverse together. Which eventually will lead to a little trip across the Multiverse (even if here the issue's title says across the Universe, so we will have to wait and find out tomorrow, which of them is the case).

Widget
    It's just past midnight my time, and I've read all my comics, saving this one for last.

I did what I do whenever there'a a comic I seriously do not want to be spoiled while reading. I slip the paper bag of the LCS between the pages so my eye doesn't inadvertently wander and see the next panels accidentally and ruin the flow of the story. Seriously! Can't say anything more for now, of course, but I'll be raring to join the discussion later!

I'm really looking forward to this...

Heroic Warrior
    And here we go again ramping up the modern slang (just as I was adjusting to the dialogue in the past 3 issues) “**** on his grave” are you freaking kidding me! Rob and Lloyd, I’ve loved all your work on He-Man up to this series and I like the overall storyline in this series, but my gosh this series’ dialogue is insulting and utterly atrocious! It has held back this series from overall “Epicness” and Greatness. And this is my first negative critique toward you guys. Please bring back Dan Abnett to script on future series. Freddie and Jeremy have knocked it out of the ballpark time and time again throughout this series! A+ on the art!

He-Man comics were announced back in the first week of April almost 5 years ago in 2012 and debuted the following July. It’s been an EPIC run and I’ve gotten everything and more than I could ever have dreamed of. I have peace and closure on He-Man lore if there is nothing more to come.

Hopefully we get word of a continuation by SDCC in July or Power Con in September. Don’t lose hope until after Power Con.

I’m on hiatus checking the forums until SDCC. If any news comes in the meantime, you know how to reach me. Cheers!

Heroic Warrior
    This issue was a BLAST!

I may be a minority by saying that, but this issue had the most crazy, wacky chase along the Multiverse, that i' ve read in a comic, in a long, long time.

Crazily funny in some parts, very emotional and sweet at others, action packed in every single panel, and with a great message at the end of the issue. A lot of cameos and Easter Eggs from both the MOTU and Thundercats franchises happened. The dialogue was a bit modern in some parts, but overall since the issue had so much going on, the dialogue somehow fits well with all this craziness that surrounds this issue (which involved Earth as well), so it's a nitpick, for me at least.

If this is the end of the MOTU comics, then they went out with a bang, and i welcome it. This was one of the most crazy and original MOTU adventures, in my humble opinion. And the final page....well nostalgia to max! By the Power of Grayskull.....Thundercats Hooooo!

A big thanks to everyone that worked for making this crossover happen, but a special thank you to Freddie E Williams II and Jeremy Colwell, that recreated with their fantastic artwork, all these alternative realities, all these different worlds, while delivering many of the best action sequences that personally i' ve seen, in the recent comic book history, and this is not an exaggeration. A huge thanks!

P.s Ravin' Ray was right for the narrator's identity.
    Last edited by granamyr80; March 15, 2017 at 06:33pm.

Widget
    That trip around the Multiverse was unexpected for the most part for me, but yes, folks were spot-on with alternate realities theme. I think there is one reality that people want to see more of, and the burning question is, What Does He-O Look Like? He's got to be twice as handsome as either He-Man or Lion-O, after all. I bet Williams has some rough sketches of him that I hope he will share with us.

Fan-boy rave! I absolutely love the climatic showdown between the forces of good and evil summoned by Sorceress & Jaga and Mumm-ator. The book finally showed us more characters from both worlds that hadn't been shown yet, and it evens up the imbalance between the forces of Eternia and Third Earth in terms of sheer numbers, because let's admit it, the MotU outnumber the Third Earthers and Thundercats here. I spotted the Snowman of Hook Mountain, Willa and Nayda of the Warrior Maidens, and a trio of Ro-Bear Berbils. On the side of evil there's Ma-Mutt, Hammerhand of the Berzekers (more on him later) Panthor, Clawful, Whiplash, Jitsu, Ratilla the Terrible with the Sword of Plun-darr, and the others I can't recognize. For me the biggest omission was the new Thundercats Lynx-O, Bengali, Pumyra, and Snarfer, which for reasons of plot I believe had to be omitted. But if the Thundercats already have the Thunderstrike (which in the cartoons was created specifically for the new Thundercats at the Tower of Omens), then why couldn't the four have been shown as well. So in this reality, they're not Thundercats yet, maybe just ordinary Thunderian refugees in that island along with the Berbils.

A few days prior to this issue I was imagining some team-ups and one-on-ones that I wanted to see happen:
    • Hammerhand vs Fisto. An obvious choice, and too bad they didn't fight here.
    • Ram-Bam vs Ram Man. Rammy got to fight Ratilla instead.
    • Stridor and Doji-Kage, the mechanical steed of Hachiman the samurai.
    • Battle Cat and Snowmeow.

The combining of the powers of the two swords was, of course, the key to the resolution of the conflict, as it was the only way the combined power of Mumm-Ra and Skeletor could be overcome. That was a great visual, with the Power of Grayskull aimed directly at the Sword of Omen's Eye of Thundera which then added its own power.

Mumm-Ra's dialog and the ending caption leave open the possibility of a sequel, but that is up in the air, and I don't know how realistic it is that we'll get one anytime soon.
    And the final page....well nostalgia to max! By the Power of Grayskull.....Thundercats Hooooo!
    So agree! I think both the characters and the readers are experiencing the proverbial "parting is such sweet sorrow." I'll be sad to let go of this book. But knowing myself, I'm going to experience a dream where I'm in the story!
    Last edited by Ravin' Ray; March 15, 2017 at 07:35pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Just got done reading this. Um, so they could've just combined the power in the first place and skipped all that rigmarole... and how was everyone dead and wounded on the battlefield and then all of a sudden the sorceress has the power to heal them? And what did Duncan want teela to do in her final goodbye to cheetara, was it really that important to cut her short from her last conversation with her? Cheetara never got to elaborate on her vision..

Thought is was cool to throw the superman thing in there real fast, lol.. at first I thought all three of them were going to fight and was looking forward to that.

Love the artwork, seriously love the art side of this..

Still want a mumm-ator figure..
    Was hoping to see a he-o visual.. a 2 pack of them 2 would be great sdcc exclusives for mattel.

The story has its ups and downs. The downs are pretty deep.. I think the ending fell short. As soon as they got back to grayskull it just was rushed and at the end the story served no point at all.

Anyway, I'm still glad they made it, and I'm glad I bought them.. they are just cool in their own right. I don't buy or read comics, so a series of 6 is cool with me and will look cool on the wall.

Some pages within these 6 books would make some killer posters for the walls.. the artists should have them printed up and cash in or however that works..

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Just got done reading this. Um, so they could've just combined the power in the first place and skipped all that rigmarole...
    Welcome to every 80s property ever...

This was such a fun issue! I still have my minor quibbles overall with the slang and over-the-top violence, but all in all I thought this was a terrific miniseries. I can't wait to see what MOTU comics come next!

Heroic Warrior
    Just got done reading this. Um, so they could've just combined the power in the first place and skipped all that rigmarole... and how was everyone dead and wounded on the battlefield and then all of a sudden the sorceress has the power to heal them? And what did Duncan want teela to do in her final goodbye to cheetara, was it really that important to cut her short from her last conversation with her? Cheetara never got to elaborate on her vision.
    Pay a bit more attention, to the details in the fight between He-Man and Lion-O. The needed to disarm Mumm-Ator of his stuff, before they could make this move, otherwise Mumm-Ator, would be able to block the attack from the Swords with his stuff, as he did earlier with the Sword of Omens. The Power of Grayskull can heal. It healed Adam when he transformed to He-Man. And let's not forget She-Ra's Sword of Protection healinng powers. Now the Sorceress in the heart of Castle Grayskull, summoned all the Power, in an ultimate and badass moment to heal the heroes and bring them back. It's magic. In the same way that Mumm-Ator used his godlike powers to summon his minions. And also the Sorceress had Jaga's assistence in summoning the heroes, as you can see him behind her. Cheetara almost get to reveal at Teela her connection with the Sorceress, for this reason Duncan interrupted her conversation with Teela. And there is also another awesome detail with the Sorceress watching Teela and Cheetara from Grayskull. Probably she telepathecally warned Duncan, for what was going to happen.

The story has its ups and downs. The downs are pretty deep.. I think the ending fell short. As soon as they got back to grayskull it just was rushed and at the end the story served no point at all.
    I don't think that there is anything down here. I believe that the story is escalating from one page to the next one, as the hunting and the fight across the Multiverse intensifies. Adam and Lion-O tried to jump from one reality to the other in order to keep the Crystal Orb, away from Mumm-Ator, and force him to follow them, in a desperate attempt to make him lose their tracks and trap him, or later to make him chase them, for retrieve the Power Sword, in one of the alternate dimensions that they jump on (or in the past, in the case of Thundera, which was the most emotional moment for Lion-O, but in my opinion of the entire mini series, as well). That was their first plan, but it failed, since Mumm-ator regained the controll of the Orb, and he lead the two heroes back to Grayskull, and ultimately they had to search another way and go for the plan B, which was far more risky, because the combination of the two Swords could have a deadly effect for both heroes and the Multiverse as well, as Lion-O feared ( which is an awesome "don't cross the streams" Ghostbusters's case). So at the end of the story, it was not pointless at all, because the whole journey across the Multiverse was a failed attempt that lead eventually to a desperate final act from the heroes's part. Actually the whole story points out and lead to this final heroic act (and possible sacrifice) of He-Man and Lion-O. And the ending was not rushed at all, especially considering the lack of space, since this is only a 6 issue mini series, and with only one issue left. Actually considering all the craziness and the epicness, that happened in this single issue, the story was very well compressed.

Thought is was cool to throw the superman thing in there real fast, lol.. at first I thought all three of them were going to fight and was looking forward to
    That was such a brilliant moment. Adam in these 3 panels was more convincing as Clark Kent, than Snyder's Supes has ever been in two movies! Definitely one of this issue's highlights. Now i want a He-Clark figure.

There was also another reference, to the first crossover between He-Man and Superman, but it was more well "hidden". Did you find it?

And i much appreciated that this time no one has died. The two main villains have been defeated, banished but not destroyed. Their minions have been captured. All the heroes survived as well. And you had the heroes being heroes, and departed as good and close friends, by exchanging gifts (especially the ones between Cringer and Snarf were so sweet) and compliments. And ther was also a good message to deliver by Adam. It can't be more MOTU than this.
    Last edited by granamyr80; March 17, 2017 at 12:37am.

Widget
    There was also another reference, to the first crossover between He-Man and Superman, but it was more well "hidden". Did you find it?
    Since I never got to read that story, could you spoil it for us, please? (With spoiler tags if needed.)

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Welcome to every 80s property ever...
    LOL!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Since I never got to read that story, could you spoil it for us, please? (With spoiler tags if needed.)

In page 6, when He-Man took the 1st blow by Mumm-ator, only for a little moment, he broke the 4th wall by saying "these dimensional crossovers are tough on my jaw". This was a clear reference to the very 1st interdimensional crossover of MOTU with Superman in 1982, where He-Man, he was indeed punched by Superman in the jaw:hmwink.: I believe that the image can be found still somewhere.

Another very interesting plot is that the Orb of Power apparently has the ability to create new different realities or to allow to travel through space and time according to whom has under it, his command.
    Last edited by granamyr80; March 17, 2017 at 12:41am.

Great issue! I hope we get more MOTU comics in the future!

Chris
    Is not not licking toads

Widget
    I had neutral expectations going into the grand finale, just in case the series would not end big. Those neutral feelings turned out to be unwarranted! I was really blown away by Issue 6, and as it stands now, it was my favorite. I felt my emotions being tugged by Lion-O and He-Man, the art (IMHO) was the most consistent and detailed of the series, the characterizations were spot on, the comedy of Clark Kent/Adam and Orko/Snarf was great, the stakes were super-high as Skeletor/Mumm-Ra almost became God, and for the first time in this series I really felt like Rob David was connecting the story thematically to The Eternia War's multiverse.

Rob David's childhood toy storylines came to life with the first few pages as the heroes lie defeated (awesome Zodac was KO'ed and included as one of the regular joes) and then having the ultimate merging of the two heroes with their swords at the climax to overcome the two combined evil villains.

I look forward to reading all the issues again in one sitting soon to see how they flow.

I am very happy and proud DC has continued publishing MOTU since 2012, and Mattel has allowed the writers and artists to have much more creative freedom than previous incarnations from other publishers and other media. In many ways, the level of maturity and violence since 2012 goes back to DC's original 1982-1983 comics where Adam is akin to the hedonist Bruce Wayne and He-Man is like Conan in that he and his vicious beast Battle-Cat would not hesitate to kill the murderous- not wise-cracking- Skeletor. Granted, He-Man/Thundercats had more comedy, wacky dialogue, and was cartoonish compared to the other 2012+ comics, but it was light-years ahead than what would have happened in the 1986 if this was published by Marvel.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    In many ways, the level of maturity and violence since 2012 goes back to DC's original 1982-1983 comics where Adam is akin to the hedonist Bruce Wayne and He-Man is like Conan in that he and his vicious beast Battle-Cat would not hesitate to kill the murderous- not wise-cracking- Skeletor. Granted, He-Man/Thundercats had more comedy, wacky dialogue, and was cartoonish compared to the other 2012+ comics, but it was light-years ahead than what would have happened in the 1986 if this was published by Marvel.
    There is a big difference though. He-Man used the Sword as conventional weapon only once, when he didn't have other choice, with all the other options felling short, and with Mumm-Ator threat ready to make the entire Multiverse to fall apart. So with everything in the edge, he needed to force Mumm-Ator to lose the Orb, and give the chance at Lion-O to grab it. With the excpetion of this case, He-Man used basically his fists, or throwing boulders (in this case a statue) against Mumm-Ator, which is a classic way of He-Man's fighting. Ah and he used Mumm-Ator's staff as a club. Let's not forget that Mumm-Ator apart his god-like powerset, he was 13-14 feet tall, as Freddie Williams revealed in a recent podcast, which makes him twice the size of He-Man. So it was necessary a lot of raw power, in order to force him, to drop the Orb of Power from his hand.

And this is something that i would like to point out, it's how much i liked the team-up of He-Man and Lion-O. It's my favorite He-Man team-up so far. The creative team of both writers and artists, played very well with the strong points and abilities of each hero. In this team work, He-Man offers his strength, endurance and iron will, while Lion-O offers his feline speed, agility, and senses, in a way that the each warrior match the other perfectly. And kudos to Freddie Williams for making this great teamwork so evident and cinematic, at each panel with his artwork! For example when He-Man is engaging Mumm-ator in battle, and makes him to drop the Orb, you can see in the same panel, Lion-O moving instantly and with agility to retrieve it. In my opinion if this could be animated, we would talking now for one of the most memorable fighting duos ever.

In a different note, the crossover's colorist Jeremy Colwell gave a very interesting interview to We Be Geeks site's podcast, where he talked among other things about the current He-Man/Thundercats and the previous Batman/TNMT crossovers.

http://webegeekspc.com/geeks-210-wor...eremy-colwell/
    Last edited by granamyr80; March 17, 2017 at 08:55pm.

It was a great series, a dream come true.

The art was great, every panel, even the smallest was well worked.

The story was great, beyond some hurried and naive outcomes but well this is He-Man and Thundercats.

I hope the comics continue, and they realize the way is this: classic designs.

The next series should be called "He-Man and She-Ra", it's the right time for that.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; March 20, 2017 at 01:41pm.

Widget
    Reading the last issue, the page where he-man and lion-o combine the power of their respective sword, the filmation background music and rankin bass thundercats background theme is playing in my head.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk