Thread: Would re-released figures be sold for the same price as new figures?

Would re-released figures be sold for the same price as new figures?

Previously Toyguru has discussed Mattel's plans to re-release Classics figures when the live action movie is released. With the vintage line complete, the company could very likely choose to supplement any new offerings in 2016 with a number of these reissued or 2.0 figures, which may or may not include improvements like new head sculpts. Toyguru stated that Classics-styled figures released during a movie year would be limited in accessories to preserve the "collectibility" of the original Classics line.

My question is, when we are eventually offered a reissued figure (2016 or later), should it be sold at the same price as new figures, or at a reduced cost? Should the savings Mattel enjoys from not having to tool and design the figures be used to prevent a further price increase in the line as a whole (assuming new figures are mixed into the same line), or should these savings be invested in new tooling such as the previously mentioned new head sculpts? Or do fans expect to pay the same high prices on figures with tooling costs we've already paid for in the original Classics line?
    Last edited by AdultCollector; October 21, 2014 at 04:05pm.

Mattel will sell them at the same price as the newer figures just like they are doing now.
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

Heroic Warrior
    If they sell them at retail, expect them to be cheaper. If it's an online thing, they'll be the same or more. A lot of it depends on the cost of materials and the marketplace at the time. I would hope that they'd be cheaper.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

I'd say slightly cheaper. But we're not going to get too lucky if this pans out. The biggest draw back to this line is that it's pretty much all online. Shipping costs are where we get stung on the majority of figures.

The majority of the ridiculous prices we see don't necessarily come from Matty anyway - That's more of a secondary market issue.

Heroic Warrior
    personally it kind of bugs me that they may be at retail. I realize they might slightly change them, but if I can get a very similar item and it's cheaper, than it sort of kills the collectability of what I have dumped thousands of dollars into. I'd rather just get a new line.

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    personally it kind of bugs me that they may be at retail. I realize they might slightly change them, but if I can get a very similar item and it's cheaper, than it sort of kills the collectability of what I have dumped thousands of dollars into. I'd rather just get a new line.
    We want the line to continue with new figures, but we also need more buyers since the most popular figures have already been made and sold, and demand has continued to drop. We barely met the sales goal for 2015 (by about 1%!) and for Mattel to risk low sales on a batch of characters that are in many ways considered obscure is realistically unlikely. Bringing Classics to retail would be a great way to grow the MOTU community and interest in the Classics-styled figures so that Mattel can get the sales its needs to move forward with those obscure remaining characters.

Or are you referring to a new line of figures that are not made in the Classics style, like a 3.5 inch line or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    We want the line to continue with new figures, but we also need more buyers since the most popular figures have already been made and sold, and demand has continued to drop. We barely met the sales goal for 2015 (by about 1%!) and for Mattel to risk low sales on a batch of characters that are in many ways considered obscure is realistically unlikely. Bringing Classics to retail would be a great way to grow the MOTU community and interest in the Classics-styled figures so that Mattel can get the sales its needs to move forward with those obscure remaining characters.

Or are you referring to a new line of figures that are not made in the Classics style, like a 3.5 inch line or something else?
    Barely Met........ Barely Met.......... Barely Met !

Sorry AC Buddy....... I don't believe on those stories ! They are not "Bare" anyway !!

As for the topic, I guess they could be around $20-22 at retail ! 28-30.00 online !!! BTW....... I can't wait for my Filmation Skeletor ! He already has his finless "bare" (again ) arms in form of Oo-Larr !!
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

I don't see them charging anything less than normal prices on Mattycollector for "re-released" figures. Especially if they come with new parts.

For a "stripped down" retail line with less paint and accessories, I could see them going as low as $19.99, but no lower, not with Black Series and Marvel Legends at $19.99. I could see them going as high as $24.99, which isn't a huge discount over Mattycollector, except you don't have to worry about shipping.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

At this point, I think the chances of a 2016 line are as good as ever seeing a MOTU movie produced...zilch.

If Mattel does indeed ever take Masters of The Universe Classics to retail....it would be a horrendous mistake and a complete disaster. They've all ready sold Classics to their target audience. Putting these out in retail when you've all ready sold them to all the fans that like the franchise is not going to garner good sales results. I know most will blame DC, but the MOTUC and DC two packs are a perfect example of MOTU not selling....they were discontinued.

If Mattel puts a Masters of the Universe line into retail....it has to be something different than Classics.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

I think a DC Motu line based on the comics that included comics would sell. They could use the classics buck even. But they wouldnt be cheaper. If they just rereleases what we already got...it wouldnt do well but they would probably be set at the current rate as the new figures.

The re-release could actually be higher. Just take a look at the Super Powers figures they release recently.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'm not putting much stock in the line ever going to retail down the road, even when/if a movie actually gets made. I'm not saying that it absolutely won't happen, but it's not something that I would put a lot of stock into. The whole idea of that happening was just a potential, hypathetical possibility that was being tossed around more or less for the sake of discussion.... not something that Mattel was necessarily putting any kind of real stock into. Sure, it could happen, but I wouldn't bank on it. Odds are they will focus mainly on a movie line of figures. Even if they wanted to capitalize on any potential popularity that a movie could bring and have other items aimed at collectors and so forth, they will probably want to put out new product that many collector fans don't already have. Even if a movie brings in a potential wider collector fan-base, the fact that a many hardcore fans will already have these figures in some form won't help. So I wouln't hold my breath on this actually happening.

I have a feeling that (if a movie does happen) this will be one of those things that certain people who try to find a way to spin anything and everything that Mattel does/ Toyguru did (during his time with the line) in the absolute most negative way will refer back to as something that we were "promised" and as it going unfullfilled. While there have been plenty of legit reasons to criticize Mattel and TG over time, some people just look for the most extreme smoking guns where there simply aren't any (I'm not saying that anyone in this thread is doing this... but I've seen elsewhere where people do this sort of thing).
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; October 22, 2014 at 11:00am.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

We're talking retail per a movie, so they will be cheaper. Considerably so.

If they're in stores, they will be cheaper. If they're online, they will cost the same as new figures.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    I could not agree more. I would be rather upset about all the money I spent collecting these. On the other hand I wouldn't exactly hate the idea of just being able to go to the store and pick some up. Either way I would much rather see a new line altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdiary27 View Post
    I could not agree more. I would be rather upset about all the money I spent collecting these. On the other hand I wouldn't exactly hate the idea of just being able to go to the store and pick some up. Either way I would much rather see a new line altogether.
    Were you upset at the TRU two packs? Would you be upset if they released a retail line with different packaging, different paint, and less accessories?
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Were you upset at the TRU two packs? Would you be upset if they released a retail line with different packaging, different paint, and less accessories?
    I'm upset at the TRU two packs because I never had money to pick them up at the time Wouldn't different packaging, different paint and less accessories pretty much be a new line anyway? No, I guess I wouldn't be upset about that.

Heroic Warrior
    For me it would depend on how different they are. The 2 packs were so different in color scheme and there was just a handful, so they didn't bother me. But a full line would be really odd in such differing colors, and if they just had less accessories I'd still feel like I paid a fortune for extra swords when I could of just had some weapon packs.

I dunno, I'd prefer something totally different. Just me. I would also worry about how well it would sell at retail if the die hard fan base already owned the same stuff. Who supports that line?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    At this point, I think the chances of a 2016 line are as good as ever seeing a MOTU movie produced...zilch.
    Agreed. With Mattel's drastic financial forecasts and employment shakeups I think the landscape is changing over at Mattel. I think 2015 will be MOTU's swan song. I'm sure they'll continue to be licensed merchandise like the Vinyl Pop and statues, but that's about it. The Classics line will be wrapping up next year and I think just don't think the market is there for a big return for MOTU, which is why the movie has yet to actually be made.