Page 8 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC prototypes and test-shots! *Contains Spoilers* Updated with Eldor

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    Those are the billy cases from Ikea right? Look like them from the pics anyways.
    No, I got them from Target Dept. Store. There $20. Not bad. I do like the billy cases from Ikea. Its nice that you can order them in different colors.
    I Didn't Slap You! I High-Fived You In The Face!

I'm on Twitter: ThunderPunchU

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    yup as far as i am concerned stratos with a yellow belt is the only MOC variant i would consider. however off the card i wouldnt buy one since it can be faked WAY too easy by using a beast man.

did mattel REALLY scrap alot of figs? i doubt it but who knows. i like the fact that if they DID then they did it because they listened to fans.

i just find it funny that AFTER they listened to fans people will WANT/NEED the yellow belt stratos haha.

if mattel scraped all those figs they should sell them on ebay for crazy prices haha they'd make their cost back just on these figures!!
    Most Yellow Belt Stratos that are Real Prototypes (I think I know, I've had 5 pass through my hands, plus the two in my collection) have alot of differences to the real figure.

Unpainted fingernails
    Completely Different Jet Pack Straps
    The Straps are not removable, the Actual Jets are.
    The Wings are Dark Red
    Jetpack straps and belt unpainted
    No Foot Serial

A few other slight deco differences with the darkness of the grey, but nothing major

Plus the Blue on the Stratos yellows I've seen, is a different Blue than on Beast mans shorts.

I've heard there was a few Non-repainted Yellow belts that made it out on card, that have the regular jetpack and wings. I've not seen one with the Dark wings and all blue pack.

Look forward to joining in the discussion of test shots with you folks.

Anybody been getting anything in. I have a Man-at-arms I just won I will be sharing when it comes in

Love that He-ro. I have been trying to get one prototype of each figure. Up to three now
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

My most recent is a Mer Man I havent posted yet. I think I have the same Man at Arms if the one you won ended the other day. I posted a pic a page back I think. It's a very nice test shot. Shot in different colors, some areas over sprayed with primer, and some areas even look hand painted. A very cool piece.

I'm trying to get one for each as well. I have everyone so far but a Faker. I still have an extra King Grayskull test shot if anyone is interested. Can't believe it's sat for so long.

Allright, just recieved my MAA Prototype and he looks pretty good.

Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:

Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    Allright, just recieved my MAA Prototype and he looks pretty good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...MOTUCMAAPR.jpg
    Correction. That's a test shot, not a prototype.

A prototype would be a resin cast from the 4HM themselves.

A test shot is something that the factory produces to test the molds, the paints and how the articulation goes together or how the various pieces from old and new molds go together on any given character.

I don't mean to be rude in my clarification. But if your looking at price points for said objects, there's a HUGE difference between a test shot and a prototype.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I got a Hordak and Mer man test shot recently. Also have a Tri-klops that should be in my hands within a day or two. I'll try and upload some pics soon.

I've got a Faker test shot as well, which I will post.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Correction. That's a test shot, not a prototype.

A prototype would be a resin cast from the 4HM themselves.

A test shot is something that the factory produces to test the molds, the paints and how the articulation goes together or how the various pieces from old and new molds go together on any given character.

I don't mean to be rude in my clarification. But if your looking at price points for said objects, there's a HUGE difference between a test shot and a prototype.
    Are you a pre-production collector? You speak like you know what your talking about, but sorry, correction for you...

A test shot is a form of prototype. By definition a prototype is is a part of the experimentation stage before a final product. You are correct in stating what a test shot is used for, but in the pre-production collecting hobby a test shot is still very much considered a prototype.

So he is not wrong in saying his MAA Test Shot is a prototype, because it is. Not to be rude but you really shouldn't call people out unless you know what your talking about And for the record I have bought Hard Copy Resin prototypes, and Original Wax Cast prototypes for much less then what I've seen some of these test shots go for if you want to talk price points .

As for this test shot of MAA, it is a pretty impressive prototype as far as these current test shots go, because not only is it cast in different colors like most test shots, but it also has some over sprayed parts to show detail, and some hand painted parts on the armor. Truly a piece used to shape the final outcome of the MAA figure everyone else on this board will own this month.

Nice pick up!

I'll stand corrected where I should.

The point I was making though was a test shot like this isn't as rare as a hand crafted prototype from the artists themselves.
    And usually the original prototype goes for much more moolah if they go up for sale.

That's all I'm sayin.

And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

Calling a test shot a form of a prototype is one thing.
    I should have been more clear to point out that I was referring to the original prototype vs. test shots, because with all due respect, that MAA up there is still just a test shot.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Glad I could creat some good discussion there

I just won a "test shot" of Hordak and will post some better pics when I get him in!

If anyone has any extra test shots or knows where I can get some more please let me know.

I am trying to get one test shot of each figure to go along with the regular release. I am only interested in ones with different colored unpainted plastic pieces included like the pink stratos and skeletor. I have seen the ones like greyskull who look just spray painted and they don't do anything for me.

*** Please follow the forum rules about active eBay links. Thanks! ***

Masters of Sculpture FOUR HORSEMEN's Avatar
    Are you a pre-production collector? You speak like you know what your talking about, but sorry, correction for you...

A test shot is a form of prototype. By definition a prototype is is a part of the experimentation stage before a final product. You are correct in stating what a test shot is used for, but in the pre-production collecting hobby a test shot is still very much considered a prototype.

So he is not wrong in saying his MAA Test Shot is a prototype, because it is.
    Those may be referred to in the "pre-production collecting hobby" as prototypes, but Baena is correct - they are not actually prototypes. They are test shots - the first unapproved shots out of the production molds to be used for approvals - also commonly referred to as 'first shots'.

A true test shot will be produced before the indicia has been added to the molds (the little stamp on the figure noting the company, date and copyright info).

Prototypes are the first generation castings created from the original sculpture or fabricated piece - usually through the molding/casting process, but sometimes through digital scanning and digital output.

These castings (prototypes) will ultimately be used to create the steel molds for full production or they may be used to create paint-masters which will be used as factory guides for painting or for promotional purposes.

Prices of either test shots or actual prototypes depends on demand. A few short years ago, a McFarlane Toys test shot could have been sold for hundreds of dollars each (probably thousands for a 2-up prototype), but now I think you'd be lucky to get 50 or 60 bucks out of them.

-CORNBOY-
    FOUR HORSEMEN

Visit our website
    and
    our forums

Thanks for replying guys

Quote Originally Posted by FOUR HORSEMEN View Post

Prices of either test shots or actual prototypes depends on demand. A few short years ago, a McFarlane Toys test shot could have been sold for hundreds of dollars each (probably thousands for a 2-up prototype), but now I think you'd be lucky to get 50 or 60 bucks out of them.

-CORNBOY-
    Thanks CB. I'm sure I'm remembering older prices that were much higher.
    It would seem there's a handful of factory workers slipping these test shots out and it's watering down the market more than a little. Well, that mixed with rough economic times globally I'm sure add to the mix of the price drop on such items.

As per the stamp on the figures... I can't say I've found a stamp in the mold anywhere for the MotUC figs (except KG's cape, but he was a different factory if I remember right?)... Seems they're just doing the painted numbers on the bottoms of the feet now?
    (I like that, it's less intrusive to the sculpt... )

I thought the same at first too, but it's actually on the front inside of the loin cloths. And yes it is on the test shots too, at least all the ones that have past through my hands.

I thought the same at first too, but it's actually on the front inside of the loin cloths.
    Yep, there it is, right where I didn't care to look.

Heroic Warrior
    Didn't Mattel say all test shots are stolen items?

Is it stealing when a homeless man eats a discarded sandwich from the trash?

Quote Originally Posted by FOUR HORSEMEN View Post
    Those may be referred to in the "pre-production collecting hobby" as prototypes, but Baena is correct - they are not actually prototypes. They are test shots - the first unapproved shots out of the production molds to be used for approvals - also commonly referred to as 'first shots'.

A true test shot will be produced before the indicia has been added to the molds (the little stamp on the figure noting the company, date and copyright info).

Prototypes are the first generation castings created from the original sculpture or fabricated piece - usually through the molding/casting process, but sometimes through digital scanning and digital output.

These castings (prototypes) will ultimately be used to create the steel molds for full production or they may be used to create paint-masters which will be used as factory guides for painting or for promotional purposes.

-CORNBOY-

Hello 4HM, HELLO!
    Nice to read you here and finally welcome back.

Heroic Warrior
    Is it stealing when a homeless man eats a discarded sandwich from the trash?
    this isn't that. I'm not asking or questioning the morality of it. Just the legality.

Well legally speaking it's the same thing. If a test shot is thrown in the garbage, much like a sandwich... is it not free game?

I know there have been issues with workers stealing things from the factory, and that is obviously illegal. It all depends on how it is obtained. There has always been problems with factory workers, and you can't blame them with there low wages and brutal working conditions. I've heard of factory workers running off there own toys in what ever colors they want, and it's the same over at Nike, the some workers have come up with there own shoes and smuggled them out LOL.

Heroic Warrior
    XBBestx: all due respect, but I'm not debating. I just want to know if Mattel said it was stealing or not.

I'm not talking about factory workers here, or deplorable conditions. As I said, I don't want to debate the morality of it, only the legality of it.

if Mattel released a statement, then this is a trade in stolen goods, which is illegal, whether you knew about it or not.

I'm not judging, or condemning anybody, I'm just simply stating a point of fact. I don't judge those who do, sell, or buy drugs either. Everybody does so at their own risk, and its not my place to say anything.

I was just asking, for my own benefit. If they're illegal by Mattel's standards, then I don't want to knowingly acquire stolen goods. If they're not, then I might be interested in a few.

I honestly don't recall if Mattel had said anything about these one way or the other.
    I know they said that the auctions of carded figures prior to release date are stolen.
    Bill :: guitargod694

Heroic Warrior
    maybe that's what I was thinking.

I'd like to know for sure one way or another, but Cornboy's statement above appears to indicate that even if it is technically theft, they tend to look the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    XBBestx: all due respect, but I'm not debating. I just want to know if Mattel said it was stealing or not.

I was just asking, for my own benefit. If they're illegal by Mattel's standards, then I don't want to knowingly acquire stolen goods. If they're not, then I might be interested in a few.
    I'm not debating either. Mattel has said they are stolen. It was in a facebook post if that's what you need to know.

I can tell you though first hand, that not all of them are obtained illegally.

There is no real way for you to know if one is stolen or not unless you go over to Hong Kong yourself and witness it being obtained, or if you know someone over there. You have to take someones word.