Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Thoughts about a new kind of Power-Con

  1. #1
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,631

    Thoughts about a new kind of Power-Con

    I was sad to see the demise of Power-Con. I think it was a great event for fans. As I mourned it, I started thinking about what the problems were. Certainly the work involved was monumental, with little if any return for the promoters. For fans that didn't live in the Power-Con city it was expensive to attend, what with air fare, hotel costs and food. Yet a lot of people really miss Power-Con.

    Now this isn't meant as a permanent solution; more a stop gap to keep the Power-Con taste in everyone's mouths and hopefully build a fan base for more reality Power-Cons in the future.

    How about mounting a virtual internet Power-Con? It can all be set up on-line, with panels that 'attendees' can go to visually on Skype, and even ask questions. Vendors can still sell their wares, new figs can be announced and new ideas can be floated. I'd think virtual sponsors would line up for this.

    Now I get that it's not the same as the physical Power-Con and that much of the fun of the event was getting to intermingle with fans. But maybe this is a start to getting back to that. The promoters won't have to pay for a venue so 'ticket' prices could be reduced, the fans won't have to pay for transportation, lodgings and food and vendors will still get to hawk their wares.

    I'm probably the most low tech guy on the board, but I'll bet there are a ton of ways to make the cyber Power-Con interesting, fun, fascinating and maybe even -- gasp! -- profitable. Because it would be a three or four day exclusive cyber-event I would think there's a potential of people getting excited, having a lot of people attend, helping the promoters to build a data base, those new attendees some day perhaps walking the floor with the old fans of Power-Con that miss it so.

    Just a thought...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 12, 2015 at 04:04pm.

  2. #2
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    10,111
    While I'm also fairly low-tech, I think this idea has some true merit. It would be a nifty way to, as you stated, "keep that Power-Con Taste in everyone's mouths."

    I'm sure we have people on the Org with the cyber-brilliance to at least explore something like this...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

  3. #3
    Animator Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    352
    Probably be the only way I could attend... though have kinda forgotten how to access Skype, only ever used it a few times

  4. #4
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Probably be the only way I could attend... though have kinda forgotten how to access Skype, only ever used it a few times
    See that's what I'm talking about, Zentron; that there are probably a lot of fans like you who -- because of work, family obligations, cost, etc. -- just can't afford to fly off for a week for the physical Power-Con. But paying a lower admission price and then going to a virtual con for three or four days might be an alternative for many fans and I think with the right whistles and bells that it could be a lot of fun. I could see vendors getting behind this, too.

    Skype is an easy deal to join. No cost to join and no cost -- even for video calls -- if you're calling Skype to Skype. I use it constantly in my international business communications and I save a lot. There was a time, early on, when they had connection problems and dropped calls. But that's been almost completely resolved and the connections -- including video calls -- are great. I think a Skype video set-up would be a natural for panels, and the promoters could provide a simple link to help fans join Skype. And no, I don't own stock in Skype.

    As I said, this was just a thought.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 12, 2015 at 08:33pm.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior KUZEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,368
    Honestly, I've attended a couple of "virtual-cons" and they are pretty lame...
    More interaction would be seen on boards and chat rooms, and charging for any "live" sessions wouldn't fly with a lot of people.. I understand the whole "traveling for a con" is not for everyone but I'd rather see full videos on YouTube of a full con than paying for Skype sessions...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

    My Feedback thread!!

  6. #6
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,631
    Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Honestly, I've attended a couple of "virtual-cons" and they are pretty lame...
    More interaction would be seen on boards and chat rooms, and charging for any "live" sessions wouldn't fly with a lot of people.. I understand the whole "traveling for a con" is not for everyone but I'd rather see full videos on YouTube of a full con than paying for Skype sessions...
    As I said, just a thought...and from a low tech guy at that.

    I guess I'd probably better stick with writing, producing, directing and being a dad.

  7. #7
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I was sad to see the demise of Power-Con. I think it was a great event for fans. As I mourned it, I started thinking about what the problems were. Certainly the work involved was monumental, with little if any return for the promoters. For fans that didn't live in the Power-Con city it was expensive to attend, what with air fare, hotel costs and food. Yet a lot of people really miss Power-Con.

    Now this isn't meant as a permanent solution; more a stop gap to keep the Power-Con taste in everyone's mouths and hopefully build a fan base for more reality Power-Cons in the future.

    How about mounting a virtual internet Power-Con? It can all be set up on-line, with panels that 'attendees' can go to visually on Skype, and even ask questions. Vendors can still sell their wares, new figs can be announced and new ideas can be floated. I'd think virtual sponsors would line up for this.

    Now I get that it's not the same as the physical Power-Con and that much of the fun of the event was getting to intermingle with fans. But maybe this is a start to getting back to that. The promoters won't have to pay for a venue so 'ticket' prices could be reduced, the fans won't have to pay for transportation, lodgings and food and vendors will still get to hawk their wares.

    I'm probably the most low tech guy on the board, but I'll bet there are a ton of ways to make the cyber Power-Con interesting, fun, fascinating and maybe even -- gasp! -- profitable. Because it would be a three or four day exclusive cyber-event I would think there's a potential of people getting excited, having a lot of people attend, helping the promoters to build a data base, those new attendees some day perhaps walking the floor with the old fans of Power-Con that miss it so.

    Just a thought...

    I think its an awesome idea!

  8. #8
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    20,505
    Wait...is Power-Con gone for good? I thought it was done for this year, not done for next year and onwards.

    The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    903
    Personally I wouldn't pay $5 for that. But that's just me.

    I think it would have been perfect for Power Con to bring guests to already established cons like Wizard World, Chiller, and NYCC. MUCH lower overhead costs and you can get some money back in early online pre sales. But that notion was shut down.

    Awesome Con in DC for instance had all 4 original TMNT voice actors which included Cam Clarke (200X He-Man).

    Most MOTU related guests do not frequent cons. There's Alan Oppenheimer who does occasional shows. Meg Foster who does a horror con here and there. But that's really about it. I'm pretty sure someone like Melendy Britt would kill at a show like NYCC.

  10. #10
    Searchin' My Soul DisneyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,381
    No solutions to suggest, but thanks for at least drumming up an idea. I can see why some wouldn't got for this idea, but at least it's a starting point.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior whbinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,046
    There's potential here for sure, although a Google Hangout specifically might be better suited for panels. That would allow a panel to be connected and broadcast the results.

    Another thought is more use of Periscope and/or Meercat. In fact, those would be really handy for things like the Mattypalooza panel at SDCC as well.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,828
    I wouldn't PAY to interact online. But I would attend online if it were free. I would consider buying from sponsors, and I would seriously consider buying wares sold by participating talent.
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

    3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

    WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

  13. #13
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    41
    I attended Power-Con in 2013 and had a terrific time! It really was a joy. However, with there being no PC in 2014 and now 2015, the excitement has dwindled and it's out of my system. I will remember it for what it was and keep it moving.

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Salamandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I wouldn't PAY to interact online. But I would attend online if it were free. I would consider buying from sponsors, and I would seriously consider buying wares sold by participating talent.
    I agree with this. It could be fun, and a chance to see some new merchandise.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Kreann'ot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I wouldn't PAY to interact online. But I would attend online if it were free. I would consider buying from sponsors, and I would seriously consider buying wares sold by participating talent.
    Definitely, this. If it were free, I would absolutely check it out. Then, I would be much more likely to pay for specialized content and buy merch from vendors. If there was a fee just to get in the virtual door, I'd likely skip it and just read about it here, on the boards. But, I do think this idea is interesting and has merit!
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

    WHERE'S CRITA???? C'MON MATTY! DO THE RIGHT THING!

  16. #16
    WALTOR WALTOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    Personally I wouldn't pay $5 for that. But that's just me.

    I think it would have been perfect for Power Con to bring guests to already established cons like Wizard World, Chiller, and NYCC. MUCH lower overhead costs and you can get some money back in early online pre sales. But that notion was shut down.

    Awesome Con in DC for instance had all 4 original TMNT voice actors which included Cam Clarke (200X He-Man).

    Most MOTU related guests do not frequent cons. There's Alan Oppenheimer who does occasional shows. Meg Foster who does a horror con here and there. But that's really about it. I'm pretty sure someone like Melendy Britt would kill at a show like NYCC.
    That's right Cam Clarke was the voice of 200X He-man! Now I'm depressed because I was there and walked right buy his turtle booth. I saw Man-at-arms and the Sorceress in cosplay and I thought that was the only MOTU stuff there. Dag! I wasn't thinking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •