Thread: What percentage stuck around all these decades for MOTUC?

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar

What percentage stuck around all these decades for MOTUC?

What percentage of each of the old customer base/s do you think Mattel retained all these decades for MOTUC? 0.5%, 1%, 2%, or maybe 5%? The "old customer" market I'm talking about would be Masters of the Universe in its four major lines. And the percentages would likely be different for each line:

Masters of the Universe
    Princess of Power
    He-Man New Adventures
    200x Masters of the Universe

Do you think toy companies run studies on this? And if so, is there a common percentage of adult collectors buying new toys of old properties they used to collect?

I'm curious about the slice of old customers (many of us for 30 plus years) that Mattel has been able to keep. We're the ones who never went away.

From like when we were kids until now? Not many, at least in terms of who buy the figures.
    If MOTU was selling millions of each figure worldwide back in the 80s, and if fan estimates are correct that MOTUC has sold between 10K and 20K of each figure... big difference.

For an example, let's say they only sold 1 million of the original He-Man back in the 80s across the globe.
    And let's say they sold 20K of the Classics He-Man, and each went into the hand of a different collector.
    The current market would be 2% of the one in the 80s.

Yet since we know modern collectors can often buy more than 1 of each figure, that some are in the hands of retailers and not collectors, and since they undoubtedly sold WAY more than a million of each of some of the 80s characters, that percent is far smaller.

But I'd wager it's a similar situation for nearly every 80s toy line that still has adult collectors.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Wow, is it really believed that MILLIONS of MOTU figures were sold in the 1980s? That's incredible.....and said to think for how many years now it's been such a struggle to meet a quota of a few thousand .
    Harken the coming of Tuskador!!
    New List of Most wanted figures: Dylamug, Quakke, Lizzor, King Miro, Granita, Sagitar, Hawke, Artilla, Hoove, Kayo, ABC Giants

Yeah, there was an article in a paper back in the 80s that talked about how much was sold in the first year of vintage MOTU. I'll have to dig that back up at some point.

But, that's how things were in the 80s in general. Toys were big sellers. Just think about all the crazy and cool things that were available for sale back then. It was a golden age for action figures. But those days are long gone.

The digital age, economical problems, cost of oil, etc have all crushed the toy market, especially action figures.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    2% isn't bad. Enough to warrant what will be 8 years and counting of Classics figures!

I'd imagine He-Man/New Adventures and 200x would have a bigger percentage retained than the vintage lines, since MOTU and POP were so mainstream. Plus, those later lines weren't as profitable and could have inherited some fans too, definitely 200x.

Mattel did a good job getting us sucked into this property decades ago!

Heroic Warrior
    I've collected everything but New Adventures. Not because I didn't like it, I just wasn't aware of it at the time, I guess.
    It's all been done before. Everything to say has already been said. Do me a solid and pretend I posted something witty and original here

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Back in the 80's it is a well known fact that MOTU was a billion dollar toy line. They had to have sold millions for that number. I myself had most of the original line and was out until 200X came along. I did buy 200X but was never happy with it as it was to different from the original. She-Ra was a girl thing and NA just plain sucked. I did not like classics when it first came along. Then I saw a loose Webstor at a comic book shop and thought he looked pretty cool and got into it. I would agree with the 2% market number. Classics is a great line but it has been handled wrong on so many levels that it has made it nearly impossible for the casual buyer to participate. Only a diehard fan will jump all the hurdles that has been in this line.
    One purple turd deserves another.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I collected ever character from the original 80s line accept for a few variants & vehicles I didnt want.
    Never collected she-ra, or NA. The scale & style was way different & didnt appeal to me. I wanted more motu but those did nothing for me as toys.
    in 200x I was very excite. So much so I started secretly collecting & then proudly hunted & collected all the 200x figures & latter stactions. When classics came it was one of the best things to ever happen in my life. The toy line I always wanted. The figures that we never got from all media in the same consistent style. I got it all. the vintage characters, the new characters, cool NA figures & even She-Ra in all its awesomeness. I dont want it to end until we get everything that we've ever wanted for motu.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor