Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you stop collecting MOTU ?

When did you stop collecting MOTU ?

It was around late 1986 . When I was 5 . I became obsessed by "The Real Ghostbusters" ,like many UK people-for a decent part of the mid 1980s. I very very vaguely recall still watching the MOTU & POP cartoon on "Childrens ITV" (UK channel) 'as late as 1988 -but the Ghostbusters ruled at that time.
    Last edited by HORDE TROOPER; August 31, 2008 at 11:17pm.

I think my interest pretty much dropped off around the time of the 1987 movie. That would put me at about eight years old. It wasn't so much that I thought MOTU wasn't worth collecting anymore, it was just a time that I started collecting other toys (MASK, Transformers...the usual suspects).
    chikarapro.com Loco Lucha Libre!!!

I guess around 86-87. Im not so sure. But Id say around there.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I didn't stop collecting... Mattel stopped making them
    I got absolutely everything 'til the confusing end... when the Powers Of Grayskull dinosaurs came out and then everything slowly vanished from the shelves!

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I didn't stop collecting... Mattel stopped making them
    Exactly. I never stopped. Never would have stopped.

All though, when NA came out, I didn't buy any of those. I considered it, but finally passed without buying a single one. The reason was because the way the figures were made.

I just didn't want to collect He-man figures that wouldn't fit in with my other figures.

Man, I can tell you this...if the NA He-man would have looked like the normal figures I would have bought them all! I would have been SOOOOO excited just to see new He-man figures.
    Last edited by davidlogan; August 31, 2008 at 11:38pm.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

It was kind of a strange thing for me. I was strictly He-Man until the release of the Transformers movie in 1986, I then started to split my interest. I never lost interest but I wasn't on the lookout as much anymore. When NA came out I purchased Skeletor and Optikk but stopped, I still wanted the figures but it was harder to like them because they were so different, the two figures were the only two I ended up buying, I wasn't into the cartoon at all. When the 2000 stuff came out, I really wanted the toys but could not afford them. I still can't, but I'm going to squeeze in MOTUC no matter what I have to do. My goal is to collect them all one day.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    I only stopped collecting as a kid because MOTU stopped making them.

Then I collected NA and played with them all together even though they looked different.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

The cartoon ended here around 1989 and there were no re-runs like I hear US got.

Toys soon faded from the shelves when 90s came and Finland was hit with TMNT, so I gradually moved to TMNT.

Well I stopped right around when New Adventures figures first came out!
    I started buying Bravestarr but then The Real Ghostbusters came and everything changed! !
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    I still watched the show for a while, but local stores weren't carrying stuff I didn't own already. I remember I could buy one toy a week (provided it was cheap) and motu just wasn't in my stores. I saw the card backs, and new there was more, and was actually under the assumption that all the cartoon characters were made too . So when I went in to buy my fig, no deal, so I would buy little lego sets instead, I remember not minding buying the same legos, 'cause they could be anything. I eventually moved on to TMNT too, as I had a friend that had many transformers and joes, so we had that covered.

I never saw "wave six," and the playsets were impossible to come by, other out of town family got them for my parents (to give to me of coarse) when christmas came around. It was mostly a bunch of "wave four" just chillin' in abundance, but hey, can't complain about wave four, that's fo sure!
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    1987. I was six and my parents bought a new house. During the move my mother told me to pack all my He Man stuff, including my Eternia playset, in boxes and bags. When we got to the new house, i was missing nearly all my MOTU items. We do not know where they went, we can only assume they were mistaken for trash (since i was six and packwed them in trash bags) and some of the moving help threw them away.
    Fast forward to 2004 and my mother bought me a Battle Armor He Man MOC as a Christmas gift. She thought it would be funny, and of course my collecting began.

I did, however purchase several NA figures in 1990 & watched the cartoon on Carlton Television (London regional channel) .

MOTU Addict/Horde Wannabe Spikewolfe's Avatar
    I stopped when the line stopped. I had everything that was released in Canada (so, no meteorbs, giants, laser figures). I got back into MOTU just this past January. I never saw the movie. The Star Comics adaptation turned me off of that. When "He-Man" came out, I checked it out because I still liked MOTU, but decided I didn't like that line. I never saw the "new adventures" cartoon. I first heard about 200X in '03. Couldn't afford it at the time, and it didn't really capture my interest. The only figure I saw until recently was "Jungle Attack He-Man". Recently I acquired the exclusive figures, the Slime Pit for the mutant figure, plus a Hordak statue. I love MOTUC. Got both versions of King Grayskull.

I never stopped. Even once the toys vanished from store shelves, I continued to buy them through the '90's at collectable shops, comic book stores, thrift shops, garage sales, and anywhere else i could find them. The passion for MotU has never died for me.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

I stopped when Mattel stopped. I even bought a few of the NA figures when they came out.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Chris here...

Like others, I stopped when they disappeared from stores!

I was very late into collecting MOTU, getting my first figure in 1988! The only reason I had so many MOTU figures is because where my family used to regularly go on holiday to Devon here in the UK, there used to be a special toyshop that carried lots of "old" toys - by "old" toys, I mean what you would now think of as old warehouse stock (like if you walked into a toystore now and they had, say, Spider-Man 2 figures), and they had a massive display of MOTU & POP figures. Best of all, my Mum & Dad tell me that the figures they carried were very reasonably priced, because of them being old stock - at the time, I didn't care, I just saw MOTU and thought "Yes please!"

One of my fondest childhood memories is visiting that store and buying with my pocket money (which I'd saved up for weeks prior to the trip) Man-at-Arms, Teela, Battle Cat and the MOTU Weapons Pack all in one go! That should give you an indication of what good value the figures were - and, I still have all of that stuff that I purchased!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

I never stopped...
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

I never stopped either. As ghostbusters came out I got really into those, but still liked heman. Then when they stopped making MOTU figures I lost interest and moved onto Ninja turtles. I still kept all my MOTU, and would even buy ones I was missing when Id find them at garage sales, but mainly just played with Ninja turtles.

Christmas of '86 or '87. The only figure I wanted from the new series was Scare Glow. I wanted that figure so freakin bad. When I got Rio Blast, Sorceress and, I think Randor, I stopped collecting. I remember my mom telling me as I was opening them that they could only find those three and they searched and searched in three different states for Scare Glow. When that happened, I didn't want anything to do with them anymore.

In 2002 I moved all of my stuff out of my parents house and found all my old toys. The first thing I did was bought Scare Glow on e-bay complete for about $40+shipping. He was in ok shape but that didn't matter, I finally had that damn figure. That's when I started back, and that's my story.
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    boggs32@marshall.edu

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    I never stopped either. As ghostbusters came out I got really into those, but still liked heman. Then when they stopped making MOTU figures I lost interest and moved onto Ninja turtles. I still kept all my MOTU, and would even buy ones I was missing when Id find them at garage sales, but mainly just played with Ninja turtles.
    that's funny, that is pretty much what happened to me except for i don't still have mine, they were given to my nephew or were sold in garage sales

first it was he-man and sectaurs then ghost busters and ninja turtles, in the middle there was the odd robo-cop and terminator figures
    Most Powerful Man In The Universe

As others have said, I didn't stop collecting, Mattel stopped making them. I never really got into the NA toys...which is why I'm excited at the prospect of NA characters in the new MotU Classics style. By the time the line was ending I was in the 7th/8th grade at about age 12 I think. I began focusing more on art and music at that time anyway.

Masters Chronicles Host! Vinto-Man's Avatar
    Probably when my parents stopped buying them . i think i stopped when the new adventures started, think my sister got she-ra stuff so i continued in our house in some way anyhow.
    Masters of the Universe Chronicles Podcast!

To listen to any show click here

To join the facebook page click here

To subscribe via Itunes click here

I think for me, it was when my Teela figure broke, and my parents couldn't find her anymore in stores (big surprise there, female action figure ratio ) so they got me April O'neal instead and I was introduced to TMNT mania, GIjoe, Real Ghostbusters, etc. Though I was mostly getting Turtles, and the rest of my MOTU collection went to garage sale fodder sadly .
    For years there was that part of me that truly missed those guys, my nostolgic side I guess. THat's why today I thank the Elders for the internet and fot THIS site especially for helping in recovering my childhood in a sense !
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

The last 2 figures I got were laser power he-man and skeletor (luckily i still have them!) I moved onto the likes of Ghostbusters, Thundercats and Turtles like everyone else at school!
    Bak-or - Evil Master of Mean-Spiritedness

It wasn't a sudden stop as much as a slow dissolving. Fewer and fewer MOTU figures were bought or given to me while more Thundercats stuff was coming in. I did however play with both lines together most of the time. Sort of He-man meets the Thundercats.
    ^V^