Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When did you stop collecting MOTU ?

not sure on the year but I guess when my collection was stolen. Didn't have the heart to start over
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

When are why did you stop collecting Motu figures ?

I believe around 1987-88 I started losing interest.I only got a couple figures from the 1987 line.Then once 1988 came around I noticed dinosaurs with different packaging indicating it was He-man and that was it for me. Almost seemed like a different toyline...

When ninja turtles came into picture. Actually, He-man just faded away, from stores, from video rental places, from tv.

See, I was born in 1986, and that's the year rotoplast started, before that I think Usa versions were available here. Sooo, when I liked motu, the line was already weakening.

New adventures didn't help, I said "that isn't He-man" then, I still think it now.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Heroic Warrior
    I just started losing interest in around '88. The '87 movie seemed like the pinnacle for the brand and everything was downhill from there. That and the superior GIJoe toys of the time had been my main priority since 2 years prior.

Widget
    i collected till the end, but i was starting to lose interest, i was around 9 and like many of you i didn't really understand the meteorbs or the dinosaurs

Around wave 4.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I stopped collecting when they stopped making the original line. I got the Eternia playset in 1989, so that was the end for me, sadly. I hated the new He-Man line, so I became a Turtles fan after that.

Although I had a lot of other wonderful toys, the original Masters of the Universe is number one in my book. Glad I collected until the end, but I do wonder what I would have thought of He-Ro.

Court Magician

When my cousin got this for his birthday from my parents and they picked me up a She-ra while they were out...I think that killed it for me and broke the camels back. I felt girly and inadequate and tossed my MOTU aside and became a full fledged G.I. Junkie. Then 4 turtles came along later and killed the G.I.Joes for me.

- - - Updated - - -

luckily today they all share an equal place in my heart.

I remember being disappointed with the 1987' movie..new characters didn't do it for me..big fail imo..as I stated the direction to go with dinosaurs was bad..then I got into WWF wrestling and the hasbro figures soon after that.I then noticed the NA he-man figures about 1990 and was sad they looked nothing like the vintage figures..where did the muscles go? When the 200X line started I bought about 4 figures but once again didn't have any connection with the "new look".

I've never officially stopped collecting. I'm someone who's been a He-Man/She-Ra fan literally all my life. Even my other figures only got mixed in with MOTU (TMNT, Bucky O'Hare, ThunderCats) good vs. bad. The only reason my collecting was put on hiatus is because they stopped making toys and there was no eBay. I had to use second-hand shops and my weekly allowance until I got a job. I found this site about 14 years ago when I was a sophomore in high school and have been lurking around it every since.

I didn't immediately start collecting the 200x figures (didn't know about them until I accidentally stumbled across the show on CN one day), but I did grab a bunch of Commemorative ones when they were in WalMart and places like that. Once I started working at Fred Meyer, though, I did collect the 200x when they were on sale (employee discounts rock!). And now it's MOTUC as well as still anything I find in second-hand stores and online.
    Last edited by Mistico; December 25, 2012 at 09:58pm.
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

I stopped when I got my Nintendo......that took over all my action figures. It helped that NA came out around the same time and the figures sucked. I started again this year when my son showed interest in the vintage line and I found this site and discovered Classics much to the chagrin of my significant other!!!

When my cousin got me into GI Joe. Then Transformers killed Joe, and I got a bit into TMNT before dropping out of the toy game.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Court Magician
    I started playing videogames (NES) and gave all my toys away to a cousin. (Which I regret SOOOO much... had a mint Filmation Ghostbuster Mansion... )

The fall of '86 was pretty monumental for me. I started 6th grade, which meant middle school instead of elementary. For me, it wasn't so much a "too cool" for He-Man thing as it was that in Middle School, the vibe as different and there was less opportunity to spend hanging out with friends and talking about MOTU. The older kids were into girls and cars and we were doing our best to fit in, so He-Man simply wasn't as present in the conversation. I still checked into the He-Man aisle when visiting the store, but I didn't have the need to find the newest toy. And the newest toy had less context for me. The odd transition to Powers of Grayskull was happening, but without a cartoon or any real marketing push at all, I was... fine with the POG stuff, I just didn't have as strong a connection to it.

Of course, a couple of months after starting sixth grade, we had a massive house fire and had to spend a few months living in a rental home. My figures were safe, but there was less space and time to play with them as we dealt with rebuilding our house and then.... Star Trek IV. While shopping for furniture in our new home, my parents dropped me and my brother off at the movie theatre. Our options were Star Trek IV or The Secret to My Success with Michael J. Fox. Neither my brother nor I knew Star Trek that well, but thought it would probably be a fun enough movie. I fell in love instantly... instantly. Star Trek became my dearest love.

So He-Man still held a place in my heart, it truly did. When college came around, my love for Eternia was well known, as it is to this day among my friends. But my collecting of the originals ended in the fall of '86.

I never stopped. I got all the movie figures. I'm not sure how much longer I would have kept going if the line had not died. The last couple years of toys looked like they were kind of running out of ideas and throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks. I was starting to get more into Nintendo in the late 80s and less into action figures.

Once Transformers came out they took up my main focus. I only had 2 MOTU figures post 1984, Thunder Punch He-Man and Mantenna
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Snappy Threader
    Funny thing, my last figs were Faker (which I had wanted for like 4 or 5 years but never found until the re-release) and Horde Trooper. I got Faker at Wal-Mart, Horde Trooper at Revco (since replaced by CVS) and the Turbo Dactyl from Watsons (back in the day department store). Watsons had Blade and Saurod, which looking back I wish I would have taken them instead of the Turbodactyl. Soon after they were all sold out and all I could find was Thunder Punch He-Man doing some peg warming so I never got another one until 200X came out.

I stopped collecting MOTU when the line got cancelled.
    Then some years later, when I was about 14 years old,
    a 2hand shop opened in my town. And the owner gave
    a good price for He-man toys. I thought so anyway.
    So, of course, in a matter of a few months, I has sold
    my entire childhood collection.

The passion for MOTU has always been a part of me.
    A dormant force waiting to awake. What actually
    triggered my adulthood interest, was accidently finding
    Stactions for sale at my local comic/Warhammer shop.
    Accidently because I don't normally visit the shop.
    I bought a ton load of Stactions, and I was hooked.
    Now I mostly collect vintage, but have a somewhat big
    collection of Classics, too.
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

i stopped when my mom didnt find new ones. i was very sad.

I was really big into He-Man collecting for about three years as a kid. Then ThunderCats came on, and I felt (still feel) it was a much cooler cartoon, and my interest started to be swayed. I remember I used to get SO excited by new He-Man toys on the pegs. But one day I walked into a store that had just stocked a bunch of Sy-Klone figures, and I thought, how lame... a yellow He-Man. And I began collecting ThunderCats toys instead.

It's a shame, really, because the MOTU toys were always much more fun to play with than the TC toys were.

(Really enjoying reading through this thread!)

If my memory works....No new issues came for MotU comics...So I started collect orginal TMNT figures

When it wasn't available in stores anymore.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure