Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters 3 confirmed.

Hybrid View

Ghostbusters 3 confirmed.

Who you gonna call? Columbia Pictures has apparently heard the fans call for a third film in the horror-comedy franchise GHOSTBUSTERS as they have finally, finally set the long-gestured sequel in motion. Even though a script is being written with the intent of bringing back all four original busters, the article reports that reaching an agreement is still going to be a factor. Read on for the story and watch for updates as soon as a draft of the screenplay is delivered.

Columbia Pictures is getting serious about scaring up a new installment of its blockbuster "Ghostbusters" franchise.

The studio has set "The Office" co-exec producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky to write a script for a film designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson.

Studio would not comment on the development and has been mum on recent rumors that there was interest in making another installment of the franchise.

The scribes just wrote "Year One," a comedy that was directed by Ramis. Ramis with Aykroyd wrote the first two installments of the films. Ivan Reitman directed both the 1984 original and the sequel that was released in 1989. The close proximity between the writers and original Ghostbuster Ramis is evidence that the ghost chasers have sparked to the idea of returning.

"Ghostbusters" was Columbia's highest grossing film ever, until it was beaten by "Men in Black" and then "Spider-Man." An attempt to make a third installment of the franchise was stymied in the dealmaking stage. Sources said so much gross was pledged to the participants that it was next to impossible for the studio to make any money on a third installment.

No deals will be made with the original cast until the script is ready, but the gross percentage will certainly be an issue. Sony has a standing policy not to allow more than 25% of first dollar gross out the door.

The scribes, who are Emmy- nominated for their work on "The Office," just set up another picture at Columbia, selling their spec script "Bad Teacher" to the studio for Jimmy Miller to produce.

Source: Variety
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

hmmm... Bill Murray has always vowed never to do another one. Will keep an eye out to see how this unfolds (if at all.)
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    hmmm... Bill Murray has always vowed never to do another one. Will keep an eye out to see how this unfolds (if at all.)
    It was a big deal to get him signed to do the video game which he only would do if Ramis and Ackroyd wrote the script.

I highly doubt this movie will star any of them, they have indicated numerous times they are too old to reprise their characters which is why they were fully behind the video game.

Don't be surprised if they get a "new cast" to take the place, but you know we saw that animated already it was called Extreme Ghostbusters and it was not the same
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I won't hold my breath on this one.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    Read this on Ain't It Cool earlier today. While I would definitely love a new Ghostbusters movie, I'm not holding my breath either. Movies have gotten a lot farther than just having a script written and still were never made. Once filming begins, then I'll start celebrating

It would be nice to see but I dont think it will happen.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    http://www.people.com/people/article...s-topheadlines

Hollywood knew exactly who they were gonna call. And Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd look like they're stepping back into their Ghostbusting gear alongside costars Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson for a third Ghostbusters movie.

Columbia Pictures is planning to reunite the stars and revive the 1980s story of Manhattan's valiant exterminators of supernatural foes, according a report in the trade journal Variety".

The new picture is to be written by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, who both worked on bringing Brit hit The Office to the small screen in the U.S.

There is no word on whether Canadian-born director Director Ivan Reitman, who made both the 1984 original and its 1989 sequel, would direct any third movie.

I figured they would do this film seeing the stars were up in Dallas over the summer doing voiceovers for the new video game
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Cool! Hope they also bring Weaver and Moranis to the new film.

[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsandstuff777 View Post
    http://www.people.com/people/article...s-topheadlines

Hollywood knew exactly who they were gonna call. And Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd look like they're stepping back into their Ghostbusting gear alongside costars Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson for a third Ghostbusters movie.

Columbia Pictures is planning to reunite the stars and revive the 1980s story of Manhattan's valiant exterminators of supernatural foes, according a report in the trade journal Variety".

The new picture is to be written by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, who both worked on bringing Brit hit The Office to the small screen in the U.S.

There is no word on whether Canadian-born director Director Ivan Reitman, who made both the 1984 original and its 1989 sequel, would direct any third movie.

I figured they would do this film seeing the stars were up in Dallas over the summer doing voiceovers for the new video game
    cool

though i'm not gullible & will need more evidence that Bill is really down for this
    Last edited by HORDE TROOPER; September 5, 2008 at 12:08pm.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    remake ghostbusters bite your tongues, no one could replace the originals

sadly a new version will degrade into nothing but sex and fart jokes
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Heroic Warrior
    I'm waiting to see how this goes. I'm hoping to see a sequal better than what I saw with Indy, Rambo, and Rocky. Those movies were alright I was just expecting better.

Heroic Warrior
    I Dunno, i thought "Rambo" was friggin' awesome and was the best sequel of the franchise so far and was a great comeback for an 80's movie icon as it succeeded where Indy 4 failed despite i enjoyed that one.

Maybe this one would be as good as "Rambo", i've been waiting for a third movie in a long time. Perhaps they should have both the original guys with a few new recruits in the tradition of "Extreme Ghostbusters" including Slimer joining the team like on both animated series.

Well I'm hoping it'll turn out great.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Thee was NOTHING wrong with Extreme Ghostbusters. People just like to complain because it wasn't the original team, even though they were all much older and when they did come back were really showing their age and how out of practice and shape they'd gotten.

And face it, the only cartoon episodes that were worth it were the syndicated episodes, the ones with Lorenzo Music and Laura Summer. Any episode with Dave Coulier and Kath Soucie doing the voices is all but unwatchable. It's worth noting when a major part of the original RGB was actually rather terrible and why did Dave Coulier of all people have to be brought in? If Bill Murray thought that terrible bit of overacting sounded more like him than Lorenzo did then Bill Murray must have some real bad ear problems.

Even that said, I prefer RGB to the films. I think one episode of the cartoon even made a point about the movie just being that, a movie, based loosely on the real story. And much of GB2 made no sense at all.

They'd be better off just making the video game into a movie LOL At least that was a return to form. What Dan is saying GB3 is just doesn't sound funny.

Heroic Warrior
    Ramis has put on a LOT of weight since he last portrayed Egon, he was the skinniest of the group.

As for Murray, he's gonna be the toughest one to convince, at least money wise.

lately he's been a bit of an egomaniac, and thinks he's Oscar Calibur funny (not disputing that, he really got snubbed on "Lost in Translation" as well as "The Life Aquatic".)

but a back to basics approach might be just what he needs.

I'd be on board for a sequel, but I just don't think this can pull together. I've been wrong before, and would be happy to be wrong again, especially if the script is good.

but then again, I don't want another Indy 4.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    for some reason my original post didn't show up.

Ramis has put on a LOT of weight since he last portrayed Egon, he was the skinniest of the group.

As for Murray, he's gonna be the toughest one to convince, at least money wise.

I watched "Knocked Up" with Katherine Heigel the other everning & Ramis played the stoner main character's dad. Ramis , being a director/producer by trade, I assumed was doing that in this movie but he just had a cameo-but was not involved in the making of the movie. That was strange but cool.

Murray has always been a bit pretentious but that's part of his coolness and genius . Dude still perfomed in Garfield .
    Jesus Christ

Last edited by HORDE TROOPER; September 5, 2008 at 06:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    so if columbia is suddenly gung-ho about ghostbusters 3, why not get aykroyd and ramis to write it? i know aykroyd has been bending over backwards trying to get another sequel made and from what i've heard, he's even got his own script.
    I may be mistaken, but I believe that script is what turned into the video game.

Anywho, this had better freaking happen this time!

Oh, and no offense, but everyone who says that they should do a remake instead needs to be punched in the face. Repeatedly.
    Continuing the story from where the new cartoon left off.
    Click here to check out The Continuing Adventures of He-Man!

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
    -Harvey Dent

Great people to deal with: TRAPPER, Oz-Scott, RacerX, Rmfd79emt, Paugh, vpbpi, Royalt1us, Buffdaddyjk, SpydeR, Dr. Smith, Lord Anubis

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    but then again, I don't want another Indy 4.

I'm with you on that one. I didn't even want a second Ghostbusters. I was 10in 1989 and even then I thought that movie was dreadful. I guess there's some nostaligia appeal with the first one, though. I just don't want to be celebrating my 50th birthday and look over at the television and see a commercial for Indiana Jones 10 or Star Wars Episode 19 or Ghostbusters 12. Lucas has soundly pounded the nail in the Star Wars coffin. Indiana Jones is drowning under his desire to remove all the pilars of acting from movies by making the perfomers feign emotion from a red X taped to the end of a boom handle on a green screen sound stage. (Well, that and his dreadful writing) I just can't see the Ghostbusters fighting off evil spirits while puttering along on their hover rounds. They're gonna have to film the thing in cinemascope to fit all three of those fat old white dudes in the frame. I just wish that hollywood would invest the hundreds of millions of dollars they throw away on tired old sequls to films from 30 years ago into something new. Ghostbusters 3, Beverly Hills cops whatever, Donnie Darko 2, Anchorman 2? Will Ferrel is a funny guy, but all of his movies are needlessly drawn out 10 minute Saturday Night Live skits that tank in the theater but somehow end up doing well on home release. How many millions of dollars could be saved by just releasing them directly to video? Can't we find new films to run into the ground and give the old ones their chance to just rest in peace?

'Ghostbusters 3' not dead?

I could have sworn I posted in another thread concerning G3, but maybe that was beyond page 27 LOL

Aykroyd making progress with 'Ghostbusters' script
    Oct. 11, 2010, 10:19 AM EST
    WENN

The script for the "Ghostbusters" sequel is almost complete, according to star and screenwriter Dan Aykroyd.

All four of the original "Ghostbusters" -- Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson -- were said to have signed up to star in a third film, 21 years after the second installment hit cinemas in 1989.

Murray previously dismissed the speculation, insisting plans for a follow-up are "hogwash."

But now Aykroyd has spoken out to say the script is near completion -- and he's convinced even Murray will be pleased with it.

He tells Britain's Daily Express, "I think Bill was concerned that the writing on 'Ghostbusters 3' would not be up to standard but I'm working on the script now. And Bill has the comic role of a lifetime."

Aykroyd also said this could be the last film in the franchise for the original line-up: "My character's eyesight is shot, I've got a bad knee, a bad hip -- I can't lift the Psychotron Accelerator any more. We need young legs, new minds, new Ghostbusters."

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I remember that the talk at one point had the story for Ghostbusters 3 sounding an awful lot like Filmation's Ghostbusters cartoon. I don't remember how much substance there was too the talk though.

The Abominable Dr. Phibes Vincent Price's Avatar
    What it sounds like is a film version of Extreme Ghostbusters.

Blech.
    Old people used to annoy me at weddings by pinching my cheeks &
    saying that you are the next.
    They stopped doing that when I started doing the same to them at funerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Price View Post
    What it sounds like is a film version of Extreme Ghostbusters.

Blech.
    My problem with EGB at the time was that they where exaggerating the age of the OGB's.. Now when they are in their 60's, it's not that big a deal...
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    My problem with EGB at the time was that they where exaggerating the age of the OGB's.. Now when they are in their 60's, it's not that big a deal...
    Actually they really weren't (if my exaggerate you mean making them older than they actually were).

I didn't watch EGB that much when it originally aired, but a few episodes were actually On Demand on my cable system not to long ago and I checked a couple of them out.

If I recall correctly, they actually made reference to Egon turning 40 on the show. But this series was in the late 90s. In reality, the actors playing these parts were all in their late 30s/early 40s by the time they made Ghostbusters II (hence them being in their early 60s now).

Of course, the specific age that the characters were supposed to be was never mentioned or explained in the movies. It's not that uncommon for the characters in a movie or TV show being a different age than the actors playing them (i.e. having actors well into their 20s playing high school students).

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I could have sworn I posted in another thread concerning G3, but maybe that was beyond page 27 LOL
    The search feature is your friend

I merged with another thread
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980