Thread: WTFWTK 2.6 - Ask your questions here!

WTFWTK 2.6 - Ask your questions here!

Rules for What The Fans Want To Know:
    • Each user is limited to 1 question per Q&A.
    • Posts with repeat questions & multiple questions will be deleted, and the offending user will no longer be permitted to participate in that particular Q&A. So check to see if your question has been asked and help everyone out!
      Be sure to check the posts in this thread before you, as well as previous Q&A sessions!
    • This is for questions only; not discussion.
    • We will start a new Q&A thread when it is time for more questions, approximately every 2 weeks. So please don't start new Q&A threads.

Please avoid questions about:
    • Figure specific requests (eg: When will we see She-Ra?).

Figure specific requests will undoubtedly be met with a "anything is possible" answer.
    The figures that can be produced are figures that were in the original MOTU, POP and NA lines, as well as in the mini-comics for these lines.
    Characters that appeared in the 2002 MYP cartoon are also fair game.
    Filmation characters are off limits!
    Who will be produced will remain to be seen.

We will pick the 10 questions we feel might get answers at that time. Please do not take offense to your question not being asked.
    It's nothing personal.

Previous WTFWTK sessions (questions and Mattel answers):

--------------

The 10 questions that were asked in the previous Q&A & will be answered in a couple weeks as follows (please do not repeat them, or questions from previous Q&As):

1. Now that all 3 sets of the 2002 MYP cartoon have been released and initial sales have been recorded, what is the possibility of a direct-to-dvd animated movie or maybe even a new cartoon series?

2. Are unreleased classic figures that were in production fair game for the MOTUC line?
    For example, in NA, Mara & Darius made it to the prototype stage but were never released.
    Sames goes for POP, with the Star Sisters (Starla, Tallstar and Jewelstar).

3. How will Mattel gauge the success of the MOTUC line? Will it take a complete sell out of each figure's production run, or a certain percentage?

4. With the annoucement of alternate heads for some figures, how do you determine who gets an extra head and what that head will be? For example, many fans would love to see POP figures come with alternate heads with rooted hair, or Skeletor come with an Alcala inspired head.

5. Will the MOTUC packaging be resealable like the DCUC Lobo? And if not, is this something Mattel will do in the future for the line?

6. Given how you said you are looking into the possibility of some sort of DCUC / MOTUC cross-over, what is the possibility of reusing DCUC parts in the MOTUC line to help extend the life of the line with a larger library of recycled parts as a further cost-saving measure?

7. Since you announced that MOTUC figures will be recycling art from the classic packaging, what will you do about never-before-released-figures that don't have classic packaging artwork? (eg: Queen Marlena, Green Goddess, etc)

8. Some fans had a King Grayskull whose sword and/or shield had a dimple in the middle. Is this a mold problem or just a casting problem on a certain number of swords/shield, and will it be fixed by the time we get He-Man and Skeletor?

9. Given the durability issue of King Grayskull and the numerous broken figures, what is Mattel doing to insure durability on future MOTUC figures?

10. Some fans would like to fast-track the relase of figures that did not see a release in the 2002 action-figure / mini-statue line (eg: Spikor, Scare Glow, etc). How is Mattel determining what figures are released first? It is all based on the reuse of parts, or is there another reason for why certain characters are chosen over others?

--------------

So ask those questions!

It is possible to bring back Commemorative reproductions of the 80s MOTU, POP and/or NA toy lines in their original sculpting and packaging styles, including things like:
    - unproduced toys (eg: He-Ro)
    - exclusive prototype versions
    - artworks or catalogs

While this question had been asked before, the answer given at the time (prior to SDCC 2008) was somewhat vague... but now since the line's announcement at Comic Con we know that exclusives are being planned for NY and SD comic cons in 2009, but has Mattel given any further consideration as far as offering exclusives via a partnership with ToyFare magazine, AFX, or maybe even he-man.org?

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Would there be any plans to release blank, unpainted versions of characters for easy customisation or for fine art purposes(Like Munnys, Dunnys etc.)?
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

***Combined with previous question***

Once a figure sells out, are there plans to rerelease the character say, on a yearly basis, or to rerelease figures in two-packs after their initial release, for any one who opts not to buy figures right away and then decides to purchase them later?
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    It is possible to bring back reproductions of the 80s MOTU, POP and/or NA toy lines in their original sculpting and packaging styles, including things like:
    - unproduced toys (eg: He-Ro)
    - exclusive prototype versions
    - artworks or catalogs
    I REALLY like your question. If Mattel doesn't want to release the 80's figures on their own though, I'd like to add to that question: Would Mattel do 2-packs (example: MOTUC He-Ro comes with 80's prototype looking He-Ro)? Same with Mara, Darius and the Star Sisters (although they'd do best in a classic boxset and a MOTUC boxset).
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

My current question is: How broad will the scope of MOTUC be? Is the aim to concentrate soley on the figures themselves, or will the "Classics updated" theme be expanded to include some of the peripherals that the original line had? For example, will there be any promotional tie-ins or advertising materials like there were in the 80's? This might include fold-out posters with all the toys in the line pictured, or paintings of battle scenes, etc. I'm just referring to things of that nature that existed among the various waves of the 80's release.
    Last edited by invaziondrummer; September 9, 2008 at 12:46am.
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

I have a question to try to help out army builders.

Q) When/if we get to characters like the horde troopers, palace guards, bone warriors, generic snakemen, etc....will mattel consider lifting the ordering limit on them, or maybe add a 2pack/3pack/etc? (w/ maybe a varient included right in )

I hope by the time that it comes to something like these being offered, if we do get them, that the price is cheaper & the production is increased to compensate so most folks can afford building an army.
    Awesome sticker not included!™ Blade=sad!

Coming Soon: Masters of the DC Universe

Hello,
    Here is a follow-up question to this answer...

3. It has never been stated if Mattel can produce movie characters that were never toys such as Karg, Lubic, Skeletor's grards, etc.
    Does Mattel have rights to those figures or do they belong to the studio that made the movie?
    They belong to the studio. We will only do figures from the 1987 movie if they had toys made in the original line (i.e. Blade or Gwildor)
    Are there any efforts to acquire the rights to produce these characters, seeing as how Mattel has a relationship with DC and, by association, Warner Bros who has rights to the DVD?
    Last edited by evenflow; September 7, 2008 at 08:36am.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Q) If Mattel cannot make Skeletor's Troopers from the 1987 movie into action figures, could they give us a painted variant of the "Horde Trooper" to use in their place? A variant that is painted all-black, with the Hordak emblem removed and replaced with a Skeletor crest?

Last edited by Captain Atkin; October 6, 2008 at 12:26am.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    When you release Moss Man and Grizzlor action figures will they come with fur similar to their vintage action figures or it will be completely sculpted?
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

Will the cards have the factions displayed below the MOTU logo as they did in the 80s for the various groups? (IE Snake Men, Evil Horde). If so, will POP and NA figures get their respective logos on the card in this treatment?
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    What does the "Classics" in MOTUC is supposed to mean, officially? Many think it just means "the original toyline ONLY", as opposed to an all eras inclusive line like Transformers and DCUC does. Officially, which is it?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

***Combined with previous question***
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

Heroic ursine warrior sailoruranus's Avatar
    This might be a difficult question to answer, but here goes:

Personally, I love that I can get these online, so I have no complaints. But how well do these have to sell before Mattel would consider increasing their release schedule (ie, two new characters a month), or even releasing a castle grakyskull? Are we looking at six months before that happens, or are we talking years?

Widget

Question for international fans

Many international fans are concerned about the cost of shipping a single figure, every month, and would like to pre-order several figures to be shipped at once (e.g. He-man, Beast-man, Skeletor). Would this be possible, and if not what sort of shipping price will be charged per figure to ship internationally?

Would you concidering accessory packs for specific characters? Containing for example Skeletors Terrorclaws or slightly modified heads and armour for specific characters.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflow View Post
    Hello,
    Here is a follow-up question to this answer...
    3. It has never been stated if Mattel can produce movie characters that were never toys such as Karg, Lubic, Skeletor's guards, etc.
    Does Mattel have rights to those figures or do they belong to the studio that made the movie?
    They belong to the studio. We will only do figures from the 1987 movie if they had toys made in the original line (i.e. Blade or Gwildor)
    Are there any efforts to acquire the rights to produce these characters, seeing as how Mattel has a relationship with DC and, by association, Warner Bros who has rights to the DVD?
    I'd like to follow-up on this myself, because I am personally confused as to what, precisely, Mattel means when they say "We will only do figures from the 1987 movie if they had toys made in the original line".

The part I want clarified, is simply this: Is Mattel able to make movie-styled versions of the main MOTU characters that appeared in the movie (He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Beast Man, Sorceress) or not?!?

After all, they DID have toys made in the original line (and several other lines, besides!)... just not in their movie costumes.

I've been waiting 21 years for Mattel to release versions of the main characters in their movie costumes, and I know that many others have been as well. I would love to have the movie version of He-Man immortalized in plastic! If this is at all possible, please Mattel, MAKE IT SO!
    Last edited by Jack T. Chance; September 14, 2008 at 11:47am.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

Will Vac Metalizing be utilized when appropriate eg. He-Ro?
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Now that He-man and Beastman are both rescheduled for Dec., what is the new release schedule for the figures we know of (such as Skeletor, Stratos, Merman and more)?

Will we see any female characters in 2009 for this awesome line?

I can't wait to see a Teela, Lyn, or She-ra.
    I just hope you guys make them cury and not stick thin like the Dc classics females. The Dc women are very fragile.

Widget
    Given that certain figures will have alternate heads, will the heads for all figures be interchangeable, or at the very least all figures that include alternate heads?

International Distribution

Probably the number of European MOTU/POP fans is second only to that of US fans. Is Mattel considerting/will Mattel consider distributing these figures to European based Mattel subsidiaries to help th fans with shipping costs, custom costs & concerns (like the customs ripping up the packages) as well as to attract more European fans who would like to buy the figures but are being put off from doing so due to the complications involved in importing them from outside the EU?
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub