Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.4!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.4!

Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 4 questions!

1. Will we see advertisements for mattycollector.com & MOTUC in magazines, on TV, etc? Or does this line depend heavily on word-of-mouth?
    Yes. You will see print ads for many of the MattyCollector items.

2. Will there be a regular King Grayskull on a blister card (or whatever the regular packaging is) that can be shipped internationally?
    Not at this time. We want to keep King Grayskull special for SDCC. It is possible we would re-release him on a standard blister or in a different package but at the very earliest it would be late 2010 and we would make sure he looked different (i.e. different deco) and came with different accessories to keep the SDCC version special.

3. It has never been stated if Mattel can produce movie characters that were never toys such as Karg, Lubic, Skeletor's grards, etc.
    Does Mattel have rights to those figures or do they belong to the studio that made the movie?

They belong to the studio. We will only do figures from the 1987 movie if they had toys made in the original line (i.e. Blade or Gwildor)

4. A full-sized power sword was on display of one of the walls inside the Mattel SDCC booth. Do you have any plans to produce a full-sized metal sword like that for sale?
    This is something we are looking into but can not confirm anything quite yet.

5. Many people received King Grayskull figures that appeared to have been opened then retaped shut. What was the reason for this?
    No Grayskulls were opened and reshut. This is just how they were produced in the factory. We will mention this to our vendors to avoid packaging looking like this in the future.

6. Will there be an option for international collectors to get next year's NYCC and SDCC exclusive figures?
    They will be offered in limited quantities on MattyCollector.com after the show and the exclusives for 2009 will not have electronics so they will be available internationally.

7. Many fans received King Grayskull figures that were damaged, or that became damaged when they tried to pose the figures. Mattel has no replacements for these figures. Will Mattel eventually offer replacements for King Grayskull, and will Mattel produce enough of upcoming MOTUC figures to insure replacements if this happens again?
    If fans received a damaged product they can return it for a replacement through MattyCollector.com. The website has full instructions for this.

8. King Grayskull's cape, hair, and loincloth are sculpted in a hard plastic which eliminates a lot of the figure's mobility. Will Mattel start using softer plastic for similar accessories to correct this?
    This is something we are looking into. Grayskull’s loincloth is longer then the standard figures so this shouldn’t be a problem for He-Man or Skeletor.

9. Is the MOTUC Skeletor shown in ToyFare the final sculpt & paint application? Many fans would love to see a longer Roman belt & apron as well as some tweaks to his head sculpt & paint.
    This is the final sculpt and for Skeletor’s initial release, his final paint ops. We may change the paint ops for a repaint down the line.

10. What ratio of POP and NA figures to MOTU figures can fans expect in the MOTUC line each year?
    We are not at liberty to say at this time. More details for figure releases will be available on MattyCollector.com in the future.

11. Will the AFX Exclusive Faker/Kobra Khan mini-statue 2-Pack actually be released?
    This is not a Mattel produced product. You will have to contact NECA or AFX in regard to this. Mattel only licensed out the Staction figures.

12. Is there a reason other than cost for why action-features will not be included? Action-features are the main feature for characters like Stonedar, Rokkon, and The Meteorbs.
    For characters that need action features to exist, we will look into snap on parts like an extra neck piece for Meckanek. The action features were eliminated to make the figures more collector friendly.

13. Does each character name get its own logo on the card (like the King Grayskull logo) or will you use the same font (like in the 80's) for the character names on the card?
    They will all have the same font. King Grayskull got his own logo because he was a SDCC exclusive in a unique package. All of the standard MOTUC figures will be on a standard blister card with heavy MOTU influence in shape and form. We will reveal the packaging soon on Mattycollector.com.

14. Is there a chance of us getting a variant of the Spirit of Grayskull give-away figure?
    Not at this time. Although a small handful of The Spirit of Grayskull figures were made for Mattel toymakers who helped create the line, only two will be made for the public. One was raffled off at SDCC, the second will be auctioned to help raise money for children affected by AIDS through the Dream Halloween event. If we produced this figure as a variant at mass it would take away from the uniqueness of the figure and its chance of raising money for this fantastic charity. You can find out more about the auction at CAAF 4 Kids.

15. What are the chances we get a new video game?
    We do not have anything to announce at this time.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 6!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    And have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 4 questions!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    10. What ratio of POP and NA figures to MOTU figures can fans expect in the MOTUC line each year?
    We are not at liberty to say at this time. More details for figure releases will be available on MattyCollector.com in the future.
    Bah! No answer for the 1 PoP / NA Question.

I'm glad they can at least make the movie figures that were in the toy line.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Hmm... So Blade, Saurod and Gwildor are all locked down, but no Karg or Movie-style 8-backs.

She-Ra on the other hand...! I think the design doesn't actually belong to the movie-company, since it was never used, but instead it belongs to W.S Stout. I think it'd be possible to make a small deal with Stout for an exclusive She-Ra.

9. Is the MOTUC Skeletor shown in ToyFare the final sculpt & paint application? Many fans would love to see a longer Roman belt & apron as well as some tweaks to his head sculpt & paint.
    This is the final sculpt and for Skeletor’s initial release, his final paint ops. We may change the paint ops for a repaint down the line
    GOOD! Because he looks PERFECT AS IS IMO!
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    She-Ra on the other hand...! I think the design doesn't actually belong to the movie-company, since it was never used, but instead it belongs to W.S Stout. I think it'd be possible to make a small deal with Stout for an exclusive She-Ra.
    I'd love to have a figure of that poofy-haired She-Ra! I think lots of folks would be very confused though.

4. A full-sized power sword was on display of one of the walls inside the Mattel SDCC booth. Do you have any plans to produce a full-sized metal sword like that for sale?
    This is something we are looking into but can not confirm anything quite yet.

It would be cool if something like this was released in time for Christmas! If the classic power sword does get made I hope Mattel also produce the sword of protection, also shown at SDCC. I would sell my left kidney to own that sword.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    A power sword would be awesome but a Havoc Staff now that would be a must buy.
    N8

Heroic Warrior
    All pretty much good answers. Good job!

I'm curious how the rock people will look tho.
    "That should hold them for a while!"

eaglehost@hotmail.co.uk

I agree that Skeletor is picture perfect so I'm happy that the boat has sailed on his design.

The only answer that has me a bit worried is the one regarding the loin cloths. While they are looking into softer materials, it sounds like they're locked in for the initial figures. The shorter loin cloth designs will help leg articulation a bit but just by looking you can tell the early figures will still have trouble raising their legs straight up (in a front kick). Honestly though, once I get them in a pose I like, they are likely to stay frozen for weeks at a time so the articulation is really icing on the cake anyway.

12. Is there a reason other than cost for why action-features will not be included? Action-features are the main feature for characters like Stonedar, Rokkon, and The Meteorbs.
    For characters that need action features to exist, we will look into snap on parts like an extra neck piece for Meckanek. The action features were eliminated to make the figures more collector friendly.
    I don't really see how taking away the action features makes the line collector friendly. A few of them really need their action feature as is. Snap on parts can cut it for a lot of the figures, but with some I just can't see it working.

For example...Man-E-Faces? Is he going to come with three heads? Just give him his spin dial at the top and call it a day.

Same scenario with Tri-klops. Let him spin his visor around so we can display the eye we want.

I would also love to see Rio Blast be able to flip his guns out of his legs, chest and arms. Otherwise, it will be difficult to include swap parts for that particular action feature.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Are the Rock People's "action feature" actually an action feature?? I mean...all you're doing is just reposing their arms, legs and head.

About the Skeletor figure...I'm actually glad he won't be changed! That figure is amazing!

And, as for other figures like Man-e-Faces and and Tri-Klops, those "action features" just seem like joints to me. Otherwise, you could consider every point of articulation on these figures as an action feature.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

No Lubic!!!!! Man my day is ruined. Everything else sounded pretty good though.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Hmm... So Blade, Saurod and Gwildor are all locked down, but no Karg or Movie-style 8-backs.

Interesting idea. That actually makes me wonder if the early concept designs Stout had made for characters like Karg and the Troopers could be made. It probably is just a question of ownership. If the studio owns those original designs, then no. However, I know that Stout has sold those designs to collectors as prints, and on trading cards. I believe the studio never made any money from those sales. His designs for the troopers were similar to the movie version, but still had a flavour of their own.

Another possibilty would be to just have a variant Horde Trooper painted black, with a diffrent crest (crossbones or skull) on it's chest to show that is is Skeletor's trooper. A nice nod to the movie, without having to create a new design.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; September 7, 2008 at 09:10am.

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidnatedogg View Post
    A power sword would be awesome but a Havoc Staff now that would be a must buy.
    N8
    I second that, I always wanted one... especially the 200x version
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

For characters that need action features to exist, we will look into snap on parts like an extra neck piece for Meckanek. The action features were eliminated to make the figures more collector friendly
    cmon that will not make the figures more collector friendly, just give to mattel to re use parts and not made different molds for almost all the figures
    thats really bad IMO.
    cmon how should will look a extendar? rio blast( i did not like the staction inmobilty weapons, mosquitor's blood, too) mekaneck, snake face, king hiss, tung lashor, horde trooper, roboto, trap jaw,etc a lot of vintage figures will not be the same without their action features
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    5. Many people received King Grayskull figures that appeared to have been opened then retaped shut. What was the reason for this?
    No Grayskulls were opened and reshut. This is just how they were produced in the factory. We will mention this to our vendors to avoid packaging looking like this in the future.
    So can anyone confirm that the ones they bought at SDCC had the same tape/retape look as the ones from Matty.com?? Something seems fishy here

Sucks about the movie figures. The excitement for this line is being sucked dry for me. First no filmation, then no 200X, and now no movie figures.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I know people have certain character preferences and such, but really- just because Filmation and the 1987 movie -specific characters are off limits, doesn't mean there's not still enough to get excited about.
    It seems fairly possible that we are getting (at some point) figures of He-Ro, Eldor, Adora, Queen Marlena, Evilseed, Count Marzo, and an assortment of characters invented for the 2002 MYP series. And that's along with or on top of ALL the classic MOTU, PoP and NA action figure characters. That's quite a bit, and they probably won't even scratch the surface before the line ends (which they all inevitably do for one reason or another). I dunno, I just sometimes think people are expecting the impossible from a Masters Of The Universe line. If it weren't for what Mattel were doing right now with MOTUC, we wouldn't have anything at all in the way of new stuff to collect.
    Having said that, I do think I would be a tad more excited if the answer about the PoP/NA ratio to regular MOTU figures would have been something a bit more than what Mattel said, which- like most of their Q&A answers- is essentially nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dark knight View Post
    cmon that will not make the figures more collector friendly, just give to mattel to re use parts and not made different molds for almost all the figures
    thats really bad IMO.
    cmon how should will look a extendar? rio blast( i did not like the staction inmobilty weapons, mosquitor's blood, too) mekaneck, snake face, king hiss, tung lashor, horde trooper, roboto, trap jaw,etc a lot of vintage figures will not be the same without their action features
    I guess it depends on what you call an "action Feature".
    Personally i think the original spring loaded waists were action features. But man-e-faces, tri-clops, rio-blast ect just had extra articulation.
    Where as mosquitor, kobra Khan, snout spout had actual action features.
    But seeing as the first couple waves share the most parts then i guess these are what we'll see before the others with more unique molds.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    I don't really see how taking away the action features makes the line collector friendly. A few of them really need their action feature as is. Snap on parts can cut it for a lot of the figures, but with some I just can't see it working.

For example...Man-E-Faces? Is he going to come with three heads? Just give him his spin dial at the top and call it a day.

Same scenario with Tri-klops. Let him spin his visor around so we can display the eye we want.

I would also love to see Rio Blast be able to flip his guns out of his legs, chest and arms. Otherwise, it will be difficult to include swap parts for that particular action feature.
    I don't like Mattel's answer either. Frankly, I'm getting sick of hearing "for example, Mekaneck will have an extra snap-on neck". We get it, but is Mekaneck as far as they've gotten for this idea? Because there are a LOT of other characters that have action features, and MANY of them are not quite as easy to represent by simply "snapping on an extra piece". I mean are we gonna have to snap-on an awkward, molded, tornado shaped thing to give Sy-Klone the appearance of spinning?

As far as "collector-friendliness" is concerned, the only thing I can take that to mean is that losing the action features means they will cost less. Maybe they figured since $20 each was already pushing it, why potentially raise the price by adding the features? Just a shot in the dark, but I would also like an official explanation/definition from Mattel of what they meant by that statement.
    Last edited by invaziondrummer; September 6, 2008 at 09:47pm.
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

I can live without the action features/gimicks. I think they assume that most adult collectors arent going to "play" with the figures and would be willing to sacrifice the action features this time around. Sure you loose some play value but in return you get nostalgic sculpts that harken back to MOTU's more primal roots (which in my opinion are just as well rendered as the stactions, just done in different style) and more articulation than the line has ever known.

Folks like Trap-Jaw, Tri-Clops and Man-E-Faces will likely get made - their action features are simple enough. As for figures like Rio Blast and Misquitor, who's gimmicks sort of make of break them, I think the writing is on the wall that they may not make it into the line. But hey, this is MOTUC not Pokemon, so I don't feel we "gotta catch 'em all".
    Last edited by Darkwolf; September 7, 2008 at 05:38pm.

2. Will there be a regular King Grayskull on a blister card (or whatever the regular packaging is) that can be shipped internationally?
    Not at this time. We want to keep King Grayskull special for SDCC. It is possible we would re-release him on a standard blister or in a different package but at the very earliest it would be late 2010 and we would make sure he looked different (i.e. different deco) and came with different accessories to keep the SDCC version special.
    No KG till 2010 for us international fans? We're behind the line before it starts, unless we pay a ****load on ebay
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by invaziondrummer View Post
    I don't like Mattel's answer either. Frankly, I'm getting sick of hearing "for example, Mekaneck will have an extra snap-on neck". We get it, but is Mekaneck as far as they've gotten for this idea? Because there are a LOT of other characters that have action features, and MANY of them are not quite as easy to represent by simply "snapping on an extra piece". I mean are we gonna have to snap-on an awkward, molded, tornado shaped thing to give Sy-Klone the appearance of spinning?

As far as "collector-friendliness" is concerned, the only thing I can take that to mean is that losing the action features means they will cost less. Maybe they figured since $20 each was already pushing it, why potentially raise the price by adding the features? Just a shot in the dark, but I would also like an official explanation/definition from Mattel of what they meant by that statement.
    Mekaneck is used as an example cause he is one of the most known MOTU figure with a unique action feature. Obviously they can't have him like the original or the 200X version cause of the added chest articulation. So the addition to have a removable head that can be attached to a bendable neck is a easy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post

No, Man-E-Faces will not come with 3 heads. He will have to have a all new body created anyway. They will probably do something similar to the 200X version where he can at least turn his head and have the movable 3 faces feature. But will still use various other parts from other figures. The same for Tri-Klops. He'll use the basic He-Man arms, legs, and body. Just sport a new head and chest armor. Rio Blast how ever will use be a bit tricky since he would be a completely new sculpted figure. So his chances are slim. Unless they can come up with a way to incorporate his chest guns into his armor and not the chest But still that would hinder the chest articulation. or they could just do away with that and just have the guns on his arms and legs.

Personally, I'm still waiting to hear about characters like Teela. We know about many guy figures, but why not something about Teela? I want to know how the body will look since it will probably be what is used for The Sorceress, Evil-Lyn, She-Ra and any of the Princess of Power characters.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

13. Does each character name get its own logo on the card (like the King Grayskull logo) or will you use the same font (like in the 80's) for the character names on the card?
    They will all have the same font. King Grayskull got his own logo because he was a SDCC exclusive in a unique package. All of the standard MOTUC figures will be on a standard blister card with heavy MOTU influence in shape and form. We will reveal the packaging soon on Mattycollector.com.
    I can't wait to see what the standard package design is for this line! They keep saying it will of course be heavily influenced by the 80s package design...but there's nothing like actually seeing it! About 8 weeks to go till He-Man's available to order!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    It would be cool if something like this was released in time for Christmas! If the classic power sword does get made I hope Mattel also produce the sword of protection, also shown at SDCC. I would sell my left kidney to own that sword.

Earliest would be Christmas 2009.

But I'm willing to wait for it.