Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.4!

I think the possibility of the sword getting produced is the highlight there!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'd love to have a figure of that poofy-haired She-Ra! I think lots of folks would be very confused though.
    Not that many, especially if she's an exclusive and has an explaining text and stuff on her card or box.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Interesting idea. That actually makes me wonder if the early concept designs Stout had made for characters like Karg and the Troopers could be made. It probably is just a question of ownership. If the studio owns those original designs, then no. However, I know that Stout has sold those designs to collectors as prints, and on trading cards. I believe the studio never made any money from those sales. His designs for the troopers were similar to the movie version, but still had a flavour of their own.

Excellently put! That was precisely what i was thinking as well, the art-cards with his designs where made by him personally, not MGM/CANNON or Mattel, and they were sold. I think he owns some of the designs and it would be madness not to contact him about this.

Another instance where I think it would be a good idea to contact a creator is Möebius, the french artist that set the entire tone for the movie. He did the first drawings and designs for He-man, which were later refined by Stout and used in the movie. I think Möebius OWNS that first He-man design..! And even if we can't have regular Movie he-man, we can have that version.

Heroic Warrior
    I like the answers.

love the possiblity of getting a real power sword. ive wanted one of those for as long as I can remember. Also, to the person that said xmas 09 is the earliest...we have no way of knowing that. If could be done by this year if they already started it, which their answer did not rule out. Until they announce the date the rest is just guessing.

I expected the movie stuff, so no biggie. Id love a movie he-man or skeletor but not gonna kill me not to have them.

For the person that said no 200x, filimation, or movie....we will potentially have all of those in this line. Just not things they dont have the rights to. So we could see Adam, marlena, orko ect from filmation, any character from 200x (just in the same style as the rest of the line) and a few from the movie. Only certian designs and a few characters are off limits, but we have the oppurtunity to get a lot of characters we have never had before.

I am excited about the fact there will actually be some form of advertising. THats a huge plus.

I am looking forward to seeing the packaging. Cant wait really.

It will be nice that everyone that doesnt attend the con's next year will have the chance to get the exclusives. Lets hope they make more, or with the added fans they will sell out in like an hour.lol

The answer about advertising got me wondering...even though advertising isn't really needed for us here at the .org, wouldn't it be nice if Mattel actually paid for some advertising space on the front page of this site? It would both get visitors and help support this site all at the same time.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

15. What are the chances we get a new video game?
    We do not have anything to announce at this time.

I would love a Masters Of The Universe video game! Done with a 3rd person view & in the style of Tenchu for "play as He-Man only" or the style of X-MEN Legends for a "play as a team of Masters."

I hope MOTUC gets popular enough for interest in a video game.

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 4 questions!

3. It has never been stated if Mattel can produce movie characters that were never toys such as Karg, Lubic, Skeletor's grards, etc.
    Does Mattel have rights to those figures or do they belong to the studio that made the movie?

They belong to the studio. We will only do figures from the 1987 movie if they had toys made in the original line (i.e. Blade or Gwildor)
    I think that's WEAK!!!

If nothing else, Mattel should have maintained the rights to make movie versions of He-Man, Skeletor, and the other main characters that were also in the toy line! I can understand not being able to make characters like Karg that were created for the movie, but they should at least be able to give us Movie He-Man and Movie Skeletor! LAME!!!

For 21 years I've been wanting a movie figure of He-Man, wearing that movie costume. I'd buy a custom made figure of him, but frankly, I have yet to see a truly GOOD custom figure of movie He-Man.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

To elaborate on the action features question, yes obviously Tri-Klops will have a spinning visor, Man-E-Faces will have a spinning head and Rio Blast would have pop out guns. (pending we can get to all of those great characters)

Where you won't see action features is on mechanical features - ie: Snout Spout will likely not spit water, Sy-Klone will likely not have a spinning mechanism, Stinkor will likely not smell and Ram-Man would likely not have a pop out body.

But Extendar would extend, the Rock people would fold up and Scare Glow might even have glow in the dark paint if it works out.

Obviously we have a while to go before we can get to characters with more unique sculpts. We have to prove the line out first and show that it has enough fan support and we can at least break even before we look at more expense sculpts. (which is why the first batch of figures all share parts)

Personally I would love to get to every character from the original line and all the characters from the 2002 show. We hear you that fans wish that the Filmation and the 1987 Film could be included but facts are facts, we do not have the toy rights to these properties and there just isn't anything on Earth or Eternia that will change this.

While some fans may be disappointed, there are still so many original toy line, POP, NA and 200X characters to get to.

Of course the alternative is we don't do a new toy line at all and just fold our hands, but I can't see that happening. There are way too many cool characters to do and way too much fan support. So instead of focusing on what we can't do, I'd hope the fans will support the line for what we can do- which is bring highly detailed fully articulated MOTU characters to toy fans around the world!

TG

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    But Extendar would extend,
    Yay!

Thanks for the info., Toyguru! You're awesome.

Extendar would extend,
    Very exciting news! I hope the line is around long enough to justify the parts for this one.

Great to hear you guys are keeping the needed action features.

I am really liking the amount of communication we are getting about this toy line. Gives me high hopes for it. Bring on the MOTUCs!
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Thank you so much Toyguru for keeping us updated and in the know with this line! I think it's reassuring to many that necessary action features like Tri-Klops' visor and Man-E-Face's spinning faces will be included. Oh...and I totally can't wait for a Classics Extendar and Rock People!!! And, you're so right...there are way too many positives with this line. I'm so optimistic that this line will be successful! The style is great, the sculpting is great, the communication with Mattel is great! Long live MotU Classics!!

Thanks for the update Toyguru, but one thing puzzles me. How would Stinkor (or Moss Man, or Purfuma) smelling be considered a mechanical feature? I thought it was just a chemical mixed into the plastic or something along those lines.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

To elaborate on the action features question, yes obviously Tri-Klops will have a spinning visor, Man-E-Faces will have a spinning head and Rio Blast would have pop out guns. (pending we can get to all of those great characters)
    I hope the "spinning features" allow the visor and the head to stay in place when the position is decided. A clip (stick) system would be great so that the "spinning system" would not rotate on his own when the figure is moved.

Anyway... I won't move the figures that much

Thanks, Toyguru, for clearing that up about the action features. I as well as probably a few others took it that there would be no action features at all. It's great to know that most of the important ones are possible now. I am totally happy that "if" Extendar was made he would extend. That was one I was not expecting.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Obviously we have a while to go before we can get to characters with more unique sculpts. We have to prove the line out first and show that it has enough fan support and we can at least break even before we look at more expense sculpts. (which is why the first batch of figures all share parts)

Personally I would love to get to every character from the original line and all the characters from the 2002 show. We hear you that fans wish that the Filmation and the 1987 Film could be included but facts are facts, we do not have the toy rights to these properties and there just isn't anything on Earth or Eternia that will change this.

While some fans may be disappointed, there are still so many original toy line, POP, NA and 200X characters to get to.

Of course the alternative is we don't do a new toy line at all and just fold our hands, but I can't see that happening. There are way too many cool characters to do and way too much fan support. So instead of focusing on what we can't do, I'd hope the fans will support the line for what we can do- which is bring highly detailed fully articulated MOTU characters to toy fans around the world!

TG
    And I like THIS clarification. So much for all the characters re-using parts.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    And I like THIS clarification. So much for all the characters re-using parts.
    I took that to mean no characters like Ram-Man, Orko or Roboto in the first year as they have mostly if not all unique sculpting (especially Ram-Man and Orko). Not to mention Extendar. Roboto would at least share leg parts with Trapjaw and Man-E-Faces.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    my hopes for the pop characters making it before 2010 just went down and poor poor NA

And what does it mean for Teela? will the line have to prove profitable or break even before we see Teela?
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    my hopes for the pop characters making it before 2010 just went down and poor poor NA

And what does it mean for Teela? will the line have to prove profitable or break even before we see Teela?
    I'm thinking many of the female character's sculpts will be based on Teela's. We know Evil Lyn will as well as the Sorceress. If anything, it would make producing female figures easier because once that initial sculpt is created all the rest can follow. I'm sure the 4H will work their magic to ensure that each figure looks unique.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I'm thinking many of the female character's sculpts will be based on Teela's. We know Evil Lyn will as well as the Sorceress. If anything, it would make producing female figures easier because once that initial sculpt is created all the rest can follow. I'm sure the 4H will work their magic to ensure that each figure looks unique.
    I agree that teela will be the mold for the female characters, i'm just concerned about when she will debut. I'm starting to think we will not get the original 8back after all but the original 7back and then move on to more male figures that conform to the already sculpted parts. i really hope this is not the case!
    My MOTUC top wants (POST NYCC 2014):

Filmation:Twiggets - Red Knight - Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Dylamug - Vultak - Enchantress - Kothos - General Tataran - Evil Seed (Filmation artichoke) - Masque - Sybiline (with a pack-in Gorgon) - Melaktha
    Others: Despara - toy version of Catra - Veena - Master Sebrian - Drissi - Caz - Andros - Sorceress (NA comics version)- Kex Queen - Lodar

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    We hear you that fans wish that the Filmation and the 1987 Film could be included but facts are facts, we do not have the toy rights to these properties and there just isn't anything on Earth or Eternia that will change this.
    See, this is the part I don't understand. Mattel doesn't have the rights to Karg, or to the human characters, that part I get. Those characters were created by the movie makers, and Mattel doesn't have the rights to them, I totally get that, same with the Filmation created characters. I understand that part completely and have no real problem with it.

But when it comes to the MAIN Masters of the Universe characters themselves... He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Beast Man... those characters were licensed by the movie makers from Mattel, not the other way around. Those are MATTEL'S characters, they did not belong to the movie makers, they were not created by the movie makers, and Mattel has (theoretically) maintained their rights to them all along. Sure, they wear different clothing than in the other versions of MOTU, and sure, Beast Man looks very different, but they're still Mattel's characters.

So why is it, precisely, that Mattel can't issue a He-Man dressed in his movie costume? Or a movie version of Man-At-Arms, or Skeletor? THAT is the part myself and many others don't understand. Do you seriously expect us to believe that Mattel can make "Tarzan-Wannabe He-Man" and "Disco Skeletor" all they like, but they can't issue a He-Man or Skeletor in the 1987 movie costumes?!? Because that just sounds ridiculous!

And even if, by some incredible act of foolishness on their part, Mattel doesn't have those rights right now, is it possible they could obtain them from the current rights holder(s) for future use? The movie is 21 years old right now... in 4 years it will be 25 years old, and that would be the perfect time to release some new products tied into it, for the movie's Silver Anniversary!

Bottom line, I want what I've wanted for 21 years... a figure of the movie version of He-Man, in that awesome outfit that Dolph Lundgren wore! I've waited 21 years already, 4 more wouldn't kill me... as long as I knew Mattel would release it some day.
    Last edited by Jack T. Chance; September 14, 2008 at 01:07pm.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    Well, it shouldn't make a difference, since we're not gtting just one male mold.

The He-Man standard torso can be used on He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Mer-Man, Faker, Tri-Klops, and Trap-Jaw, and Stinkor, and the Skeletor arms/legs can be used for Skelly, Merman, Zodak, and Stinkor... but Beastman's torso can only be used for Stratos and Zodak.

When you consider that Mattel can make at least one completely new figure based on the Teela sculpt, and that if the 4H design her more generically (with specific parts to be added per each character's needs), a single female sculpt could easily be used for 4 full figures (Sorceress and She-Ra as well).

So there'd definitely be the ability to use the mold for maximum profit, meaning there'd be no fear of producing one.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    4. A full-sized power sword was on display of one of the walls inside the Mattel SDCC booth. Do you have any plans to produce a full-sized metal sword like that for sale?
    This is something we are looking into but can not confirm anything quite yet.

It would be cool if something like this was released in time for Christmas! If the classic power sword does get made I hope Mattel also produce the sword of protection, also shown at SDCC. I would sell my left kidney to own that sword.
    Funny post.

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    Well, it shouldn't make a difference, since we're not gtting just one male mold.

The He-Man standard torso can be used on He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Mer-Man, Faker, Tri-Klops, and Trap-Jaw, and Stinkor, and the Skeletor arms/legs can be used for Skelly, Merman, Zodak, and Stinkor... but Beastman's torso can only be used for Stratos and Zodak.

When you consider that Mattel can make at least one completely new figure based on the Teela sculpt, and that if the 4H design her more generically (with specific parts to be added per each character's needs), a single female sculpt could easily be used for 4 full figures (Sorceress and She-Ra as well).

So there'd definitely be the ability to use the mold for maximum profit, meaning there'd be no fear of producing one.

I think they should use Beastman's torso, upper arms & upper legs for Stinkor, since he's obviously a SKUNK and therefore furry. He could still have the merman hands & feet, since they'd be his gloves & boots. IMO, it'd be a crying shame to not use furry parts for a character that should be furry. i'm sure there's other characters that could utilize the Beastman mold as well. maybe make a shadow beast, but a bit bigger like KG?
    Scare glo would also have the Skeletor parts, as well as ninjor. clamp champ, fisto, Mechaneck & jitsu would all use He-man's parts.

The horde & snakemen would likely all get their own molds as they did in the original toyline. hordak would use some of He-man's parts though.

we're getting three male molds initially, human, reptile & beastly; but I'm willing to bet that sometime in 2009 we'll see a few other molds such as the robotic parts that Trap-jaw, ManEfaces & roboto share. also buz-off & whiplash have diff legs than skeletor/merman, so that'd be yet another male leg mold. i wonder which legs Clawful will have?

They might even do more than one female mold. Why not? they have several male molds, why not several female molds?
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    See, this is the part I don't understand. Mattel doesn't have the rights to Karg, or to the human characters, that part I get. Those characters were created by the movie makers, and Mattel doesn't have the rights to them, I totally get that, same with the Filmation created characters. I understand that part completely and have no real problem with it.

But when it comes to the MAIN Masters of the Universe characters themselves... He-Man, Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Beast Man... those characters were licensed by the movie makers from Mattel, not the other way around. Those are MATTEL'S characters, they did not belong to the movie makers, they were not created by the movie makers, and Mattel has (theoretically) maintained their rights to them all along. Sure, they wear different clothing than in the other versions of MOTU, and sure, Beast Man looks very different, but they're still Mattel's characters.

So why is it, precisely, that Mattel can't issue a He-Man dressed in his movie costume? Or a movie version of Man-At-Arms, or Skeletor? THAT is the part myself and many others don't understand. Do you seriously expect us to believe that Mattel can make "Tarzan-Wannabe He-Man" and "Disco Skeletor" all they like, but they can't issue a He-Man or Skeletor in the 1987 movie costumes?!? Because that just sounds ridiculous!

And even if, by some incredible act of foolishness on their part, Mattel doesn't have those rights right now, is it possible they could obtain them from the current rights holder(s) for future use? The movie is 21 years old right now... in 4 years it will be 25 years old, and that would be the perfect time to release some new products tied into it, for the movie's Silver Anniversary!

Bottom line, I want what I've wanted for 21 years... a figure of the movie version of He-Man, in that awesome outfit that Dolph Lundgren wore! I've waited 21 years already, 4 more wouldn't kill me... as long as I knew Mattel would release it some day.

Well said. I think that the answer they gave us warrants a follow up question. I hope it gets asked.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post

Yeah, i feel your pain. While the 1987 MOTU movie designs (or the movie itself for that matter) never appealed much to me, i do get where you're coming from in wanting something so badly and waiting so long & not getting it.

I waited 17 years for a TF Unicron toy, and i'm glad they made the one they did & not any of the previous prototypes which looked like crap imo. I'm still waiting for a g1 styled 1986 TF movie Arcee, and i don't mean a tiny WSTF version either. if they made one for the 'TF Animated' line I'd be happy with that, since it's the same design.

i do hope they can make an '87 movie He-man one day, so that all the fans get what they want this time around. The unfortunate thing is the damn copyrights crap. It should be easy to make a he-man with a cape, shoulderpads & black undies to serve as a 'movie He-man', but I'd rather have it be an authentic one in dolph Lundgren's likeness; if I was into the movie figures.
    True, Mattel owns the characters, but not in the 'movie style'. I guess that means they can't make them in those costumes, even if they don't have the actor likenessess. Copyrights are real touchy, i think. They can't even make their characters in the Filmation style... unless they had a toy already made in that style.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

TG
    That sounds like my third grade teacher (or the bus driver in Billy Madison) "I'll turn this bus around and end your precious field trip!"
    SkeleGreg, Overlord of Central Jersey