Thread: encouraging reader feedback

encouraging reader feedback

At least a few people are reading my "War of Attrition" - but I'm wondering what they think about it.

How can I encourage feedback?

Am I posting too frequently or infrequently? (it's been about a chapter a week) Have I made the elements in the story (characters, setting, themes) too unfamiliar? Or is silent readership typical and I shouldn't worry?

Anyway, tips on how to get readers to offer thoughts are appreciated.

While i'm thinking about it... how do writiers encourage readership? Is there a forum/site on which to mention/advertise your story?

Thanks!

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    Unfortunately, fiction often falls victim to the "Usenet nod syndrome." People read it and nod, but they don't feel like saying anything, so they don't reply. Also, some people are uncomfortable with posting honest criticism (as opposed to "Yay! Great story! Write more please!" fluff), and some authors are uncomfortable with receiving anything but praise.

This can be very discouraging to us Volatile Creative Types, because the worst reaction, IMO, is no reaction. If a story has a high hit count but no replies, it appears as if the story simply didn't interest the reader at all.

My only suggestion would be to post a note at the beginning of the story stating that you're open to reader feedback; comments and criticism welcome! But only if you mean that. (I personally love a serious, critical review; it shows me where my strong and weak points are and where I can improve.)
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

I gotta be honest I read most of the fics here but after I finish I'm wiped out and don't feel like posting (or I forget). I goota say though, Eternian Poet, your fic is a refreshing take on He-man. I'm not a huge fan of the whole "Hero is tired of fighting" type stories, but what I love about yours is how deeply you get into the characters' psyches.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackbot View Post
    My only suggestion....
    thanks, I'm of a like mind, so I'll act on that.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    I gotta be honest I read most of the fics here but after I finish I'm wiped out and don't feel like posting (or I forget). I goota say though, Eternian Poet, your fic is a refreshing take on He-man. I'm not a huge fan of the whole "Hero is tired of fighting" type stories, but what I love about yours is how deeply you get into the characters' psyches.
    Thanks for your response and honesty (I take no offence at your being wiped-out!).

And I appreciate your compliment! Refreshing is what I was hoping for -Thanks!

Ah yes! Reader feedback! The bane of every fanfiction writer's existence!

A while ago, I posted a list of helpful hints to encourage feedback/reviews here. It's located in the Writer's FAQ, which has some other tips and ideas there. Check it out if you get the chance!

~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Stratos, Webstor, Horde Prime, Spikor, Snake Mountain stands, and Gygor

Quote Originally Posted by thew40 View Post
    Ah yes! Reader feedback! The bane of every fanfiction writer's existence!
    Thanks. This being my first foray into fan-fic, I've been -mostly- following your guidelines, I think they're pretty good.

Well, it is still fun, so even if it meets with defening silence it's still a pleasure and the view count gives me some sense of an readership.

The main thing I haven't had time for is reading other fan-fic, so I feel i'm a bit of a hypocrite!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Well, it is still fun, so even if it meets with defening silence it's still a pleasure and the view count gives me some sense of an readership.
    This is the most important part of fanfiction, in my opinion. It's just all about having fun and enjoying it all!

~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Stratos, Webstor, Horde Prime, Spikor, Snake Mountain stands, and Gygor