Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Solution For Holes in Figures' Backs?

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Possible Solution For Holes in Figures' Backs?

So all the figures sound like they will have the big hole in their backs so the armour can plug into it. Here's a picture from anti-hero:

If Mattel wants to keep the holes so the armour plugs in and won't move around, do you think they should include a separate plug in piece that would blend in seamlessly with the back sculpt? It would just be the piece of their backs they are missing. It should be simple enough and then we wouldn't have that gaping hole when the figures are armourless. It would only require a mold for that one piece as everyone shares the same back, except for the eventual women.

What are your thoughts?

I think they should just get rid of the hole all together, but this would be a nice compromise that wouldn't require additional armour retooling.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Co-Creator of the NV
    I think it's a nice idea but I rather doubt they'd do it.

Solution:
    Leave the armor on.

I think the torso scuplts are already ruined by all the huge joint in the middle anyway, so what difference is an armor hole going to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    Solution:
    Leave the armor on.

The torso scuplts are already ruined by all the huge joint in the middle anyway, so what difference is an armor hole going to make?
    I think the biggest and best example is He-Man. There are a bunch of mini-comic-crazy people out there who want He-Man to be the savage barbarian he was originally. If they display him like that, he'll have this huge, ugly gaping hole in his back.

Best example is this 80's promo pic, which is actually a scene from the first mini-comic:

He-Man started out looking like this, without the armour in the mini-comics. Here's He-Man bidding farewell to his tribe:

Last edited by Darkspecter; September 12, 2008 at 03:07pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that large, square hole for Grayskull's cape? I don't see why they'd put large, square holes on all the figures for capes that no one else has.

By this picture, it appears Grayskull's armor is on and has been glued into place, so I would guess instead of gluing or having it hang loose on He-Man and subsequent figures, there will be smaller holes underneath (which would be hidden on the Grayskull pictured above if he did have them).

Yeah I doubt the hole in the back of the standard figures will be as large as the one KG has. The armor issue sounds like something that developed after Grayskull was produced.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

If they made a seamless plug, how would one go about getting that plug out to put the armor back on?
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that large, square hole for Grayskull's cape? I don't see why they'd put large, square holes on all the figures for capes that no one else has.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Yeah I doubt the hole in the back of the standard figures will be as large as the one KG has. The armor issue sounds like something that developed after Grayskull was produced.
    I'm not sure, but since figures are sharing the same molds, it may be there. This is the quote that makes it sound like this hole will remain on ALL figures:

Our engineers are now re-configuring the sculpts so that the armor attaches to each figure in a uniform plug on his back, so that the armor for almost every figure will be both removable and interchangeable.
    It sounds like it will plug into the hole so it "stays in place" but won't be glued so you can remove and interchange the armour.

Also, here's a pic I made to visually demonstrate the hole:

As you can see, the spot where Grayskull's hole is located, is approximately the same size/shape on He-Man and Skeletor's backs where the armour connects.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    If they made a seamless plug, how would one go about getting that plug out to put the armor back on?
    You can use your finger nails, tape or something sticky like putty, a pin to pop it out, etc. It would be incredibly easy. Not something to really worry about.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 12, 2008 at 04:57pm.

The hole is so not a big deal. Maybe everyone should try to focus on how great these things are, and not nitpick so much.

Well I don't know too many people who will grab a figure and look at the back, for the most part the back should be well hidden. I think this is another example of fan boys going crazy at a new idea. Lets see how it looks before everyone starts throwing stones. The hole in the back worked for GI Joe, so who knows it may work here.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Solution:
    Leave the armor on.

I think the torso scuplts are already ruined by all the huge joint in the middle anyway
    It's called Ab crunch articulation.
    I love it on my Marvel Legends and it's high time MOTUC has it! Gives toys a lot more posability!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

GI Joes have holes in their backs for accessories and such. I see no problem with is as long as the armor can stay securely in place. I'm never going to take it off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Maybe everyone should try to focus on how great these things are, and not nitpick so much.
    This is the BEST statement I've seen all day! There's certainly been plenty of nitpicking.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Maybe everyone should try to focus on how great these things are, and not nitpick so much.
    If they were so great no-one would be nitpicking

I don't think the hole is an issue. I can't think of a character with an exposed back... Good question though

The hole is so not a big deal. Maybe everyone should try to focus on how great these things are, and not nitpick so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    This is the BEST statement I've seen all day! There's certainly been plenty of nitpicking.
    I don't think this is nitpicking. A lot of people think action features on action figures are terrible because it limits poseability/articulation, but mainly because there's a big ugly button on the back of the figure (like 200X Skeletor for example).

Mattel is getting rid of the action features because this is a collectors line, which means no hideous buttons (a good thing), but now there will be a HUGE gaping hole in all the figures back instead (a bad thing). This is just as terible as a button protruding out of a figure's back. The only difference is, instead of sticking out, a big chunk of the back is cut out.

Marvel Legends do have small holes in their backs so they can be put on those ugly clear stands, which I still don't like. I don't know about anyone else, but when I buy a Marvel Legend character I think looks amazing, open him/her up and see a big hole in their back, it upsets me because it ruins the sculpt/look and I feel it cheapens the action figure and makes them seem like a $1 Happy Meal toy.

Solution:
    I think the torso scuplts are already ruined by all the huge joint in the middle anyway, so what difference is an armor hole going to make?
    I think the torso articulation is awesome. It doesn't at all ruin the sculpt and it adds a lot of posability to the figure. IMO the extra articulation is a genius move on Mattel's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

What are your thoughts?
    Honestly? I have no problem with the hole. I'll tell you what I do have a problem with. Merman's armor from the 200X line. You can't move him whatsoever without his armor sliding around, moving up or to the side...etc. It's horrible.

Some of the other figures have the problem of their armor flopping about, but none so badly as Merman.

This hole fixes that problem. And I am such it won't be such a gaping chasm as the King Grayskull's hole (because his cape was never meant to come off at all). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get He-man and Beastman in your hands.

Armor on or off, they are going to be sweet.

I can't wait for these toys.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    why is this hole in the figure's back such a big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    why is this hole in the figure's back such a big deal?
    For me, it's because it's ugly, ruins the sculpt and is completely uneccessary. There's no need for the hole in the back of the figures. He-Man and Skeletor are the perfect examples. Their armour looks thick, skin tight and sturdy. It's not going to be moving anywhere, so saying they need this "plug" to stay in place is nonsense.

That's why it's so upsetting. There's a massive hole in the back for no reason. They're making these for collectors and the eliminated all the terrible buttons, but leave a gaping hole in their backs.

Darkspecter:

Well the biggest thing that I take from this pic is that you can't see his back.
    ...and you WILL see his back if you do a fight scene, like this one:

Last edited by Darkspecter; September 14, 2008 at 04:03pm.

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    For me, it's because it's ugly, ruins the sculpt and is completely uneccessary. There's no need for the hole in the back of the figures. He-Man and Skeletor are the perfect examples. Their armour looks thick, skin tight and sturdy. It's not going to be moving anywhere, so saying they need this "plug" to stay in place is nonsense.

That's why it's so upsetting. There's a massive hole in the back for no reason. They're making these for collectors and the eliminated all the terrible buttons, but leave a gaping hole in their backs.
    [/IMG]
    the hole is only a problem if you plan on displaying your figures naked with their backs turned toward you. if the armor is left on, you won't even know there's a hole there. so it's no big deal. If they never announced it, nobody would know the difference or even care. for those who collect moc, it won't even be an issue.

I don't think it ruins the sculpt. if the armor is covering the hole, which it will, it certainly doesn't ruing anything IMO. and the 200x merman is a prime example of why they don't need to have the armor loose & floppy. Same with 200x Beastman. since they are reusing molds, all (or most) of the figures will have 'the hole', whether their armor is strapped firmly in place or not. how do you know the hole will be big & noticeable or 'massive', without even seeing what it'll look like? maybe it'll be a small hole like the GI Joes have.

Still i have to admit, I'm surprised they don't just have the armor strap on or snap on like the the old vintage toyline. if they did the hole wouldn't even be an issue.

I think we should all feel priviledged to be getting new figures at all at this point, so soon after the demise of the previous line. They are willing to give motu another chance, for yet a third time! (4 if you count the commemoratives). most toylines only get one shot.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    Still i have to admit, I'm surprised they don't just have the armor strap on or snap on like the the old vintage toyline. if they did the hole wouldn't even be an issue.
    You just summed it all up in those two sentences.

Most of the armour we've seen so far is made about the same as the 80's versions and they don't need to have holes in their backs at all. Look at capeless King Grayskull. His harness isn't moving anywhere still, so there is no issue of "armour slippage." I just don't get it.

As for ruining the sculpt, here's how it ruins the sculpt: The 4Horsemen sculpt a beautiful figure, and then a giant hole is put in the back of it. It looks like someone plugged their phone cord in the back of him trying to make a call or get on the internet.

The hole will be the exact same as King Grayskull's as the figures all share the same body (for the most part). KG's body may or may not be the exact same size as He-Man and the rest, but I guarantee if that's the case Mattel would just slightly "shrink" the Grayskull molds, which would keep the hole. I don't really see this as jumping the gun, because all the figures share the bodies and/or molds.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 14, 2008 at 07:13pm.

I'm guessing/hoping that the holes won't be noticeable but still I'd rather they just have the armor permanently attached. How many people really need to put Skeletor's armor on Stratos? I used to do crazy things as a kid like attaching Beast Man's arms to He-Man's torso but now that I'm an adult collector I see these as classic characters with iconic "looks". I won't be removing the armor and changing the design on any of these figures. To me it kind of defeats the purpose of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L. View Post
    How many people really need to put Skeletor's armor on Stratos?
    People who like to play, kids who get these as presents, and the most obvious answer: Customizers.

It doesn't bug me. Just like the holes on the back of GI Joes.

People who like to play, kids who get these as presents, and the most obvious answer: Customizers.
    Adults who like to play need to recognize these are $20 dollar toys not thousand dollar works of art (try to look past the minor eyesores). Kids wont care if the figure has a hole in its back because they will be too focsed on the sheer coolness (we could learn something from them). Any customizer worth his salt can get even glued armor off a figure and/or plug a hole double quick.

I feel like Mattel is already doing fans a huge solid by making the armor removable. If they had asked me (as a focus group of one) I would have told them to glue the armor down - which is what I did to some of my 200x figs. Instead they sided with what the majority (at least I think its a majority) wanted. And folks are still complaining.

If you really want to complain about ugly holes that distract from the flow of the sculpt, why not go after the holes on the outer elbows and knees - those are in plain sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwolf View Post
    Any customizer worth his salt can get even glued armor off a figure and/or plug a hole double quick.
    It really shouldn't be a problem to begin with, but it probably will be. I know a bunch of customizers who can only repaint, and see a bunch where that is their main strength.

I feel like Mattel is already doing fans a huge solid by making the armor removable. If they had asked me (as a focus group of one) I would have told them to glue the armor down - which is what I did to some of my 200x figs.
    I was really bummed when I saw there were 200X figures with sculpted on/glued on armour. It also cost Mattel more in the end because they could have just reused more tosos the other way...

If you really want to complain about ugly holes that distract from the flow of the sculpt, why not go after the holes on the outer elbows and knees - those are in plain sight!
    I really have no problem with this. It's enevitable, and look WAY better than Marvel Legends. The only company I have seen do pretty good HIDDEN articulation is NECA, believe it or not. I bought one of the Tomb Raider figures I thought was non-moveable like the stactions or McFarlane "figures" but she has a lot of hidden articulation, which was pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    if the armor is left on, you won't even know there's a hole there. so it's no big deal.
    HUGE EDIT:

Beastman, Mer-Man, Tung Lashor, Trap-Jaw and POSSIBLY Roboto. All their backs are FULLY exposed so the hole will be very noticeable and excessive, while not being necessary.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; September 15, 2008 at 01:17am.