Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Depp as the Lone Ranger????

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Really looking forward to seeing this.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    Bad reviews or not I am still going to see it.

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    And, the Hiyo Silver thing at the end? I loved it. And it got probably the biggest laugh. The audience seemed to really like it overall at my screening. I hope audiences give it a shot, because I think it's actually pretty charming and fun.
    I agree. That was one of my favorite parts of the movie.
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

I think as time goes on more and more people will see critics just stink and are so disconnected from audiences its ridiculous.

We are going to see it shortly and all I am expecting is a action movie sprinkled with some comedy and interesting set pieces, as long as I get that I will be happy
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I think as time goes on more and more people will see critics just stink and are so disconnected from audiences its ridiculous.

We are going to see it shortly and all I am expecting is a action movie sprinkled with some comedy and interesting set pieces, as long as I get that I will be happy
    Well I think part of the problem is that they want everything to be an amazing piece of art. Ya know those movies that the average American would never watch cause they are slow and have subtitles.

Movies are like books. Some people want really artsy fartsy ones and others want a quick fun read. There is room for both, but one needs to understand that sometimes quick fun stuff is what people would rather see/read.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Well I think part of the problem is that they want everything to be an amazing piece of art. Ya know those movies that the average American would never watch cause they are slow and have subtitles.

Movies are like books. Some people want really artsy fartsy ones and others want a quick fun read. There is room for both, but one needs to understand that sometimes quick fun stuff is what people would rather see/read.
    I think that's partially true. BUT

In the case of The Lone Ranger the complaints seem to be that nothing substantial happens until the last 20 min come along, and that The Lone Ranger
    doesn't act very Lone Rangery at all whatsoever. Basically it's yet another case of a movie based upon another property not being faithful to the source
    material at all.

Even Miles Antwiler (Spoony's brother) hated it, and he's very level headed about movies. He liked a lot of this year's other big blockbuster movies
    like Man of Steel, and Star Trek Into Darkness.
    Last edited by TheDeviot; July 4, 2013 at 11:45pm.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post

I had a class in my college days about American film and culture. One day we had a movie critic come in and tell us what his job is like. As he put it, "if you eat steak every day you start to get very picky about how you like your steak." Critics see a lot of popcorn movies and they all start looking the same. So a movie that I liked just because it was a fun time, they might see as inane because it was just like the last one.

As to this movie, don't know, haven't seen it, and wouldn't be expecting Clayton Moore's Lone Ranger if I did. It does seem like they have trouble getting this character "right" since his version was so iconic, though. I, for example, have no knowledge of the character outside of that series.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Well movie Bob just did his review of it, and I may not make many friends re-posting this here, but I'm sooooo sick of Johnny Depp and I can tell that the only reason this movie was even made was that he accepted the dump truck full of money they backed into his mansion. Cause as Bob states, the only people who liked or remembered Lone Ranger were grandparents, and this movie pretty much smugly makes fun of its source materiel I'd think they'd be offended. And apparently the plot of the villains involves, get this, cursed silver....so it pretty much IS Curse of the Black Pearl in the Wild Wild West. How lazy and cynical could a Summer popcorn movie made by committee can you get I ask you?

Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

I saw the movie today and liked it. It was not bad but it was basically JD doing his capt sparrow with broken english.

Funny thing was that most of the audience for the matinee movie were WAAAY older then myself lol.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    Well movie Bob just did his review of it, and I may not make many friends re-posting this here, but I'm sooooo sick of Johnny Depp and I can tell that the only reason this movie was even made was that he accepted the dump truck full of money they backed into his mansion. Cause as Bob states, the only people who liked or remembered Lone Ranger were grandparents, and this movie pretty much smugly makes fun of its source materiel I'd think they'd be offended. And apparently the plot of the villains involves, get this, cursed silver....so it pretty much IS Curse of the Black Pearl in the Wild Wild West. How lazy and cynical could a Summer popcorn movie made by committee can you get I ask you?

The Escapist : Escape to the Movies : The Lone Ranger
    I have to check out other stuff this guy has done. Its pretty god
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Warrior
    Normally I like Movie-bob.... but lately his reviews have been very cynical. I still watch them every week... bur the first two years I saw them I agreed with nearly everything he liked... now? He shoots down movies that really are pretty good.

As for this movie? It wasn't great... but it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I was afraid it would be when I went in. I AM a fan of the lone ranger... ranging from happy memories when I was 5 and my dad got me a lot of toys from the LAST Lone Ranger movie... to curiosity of an historical american pop culture... to the more modern comics.

The Lone Ranger was full on Paladin. He fought for what was right. Truth, Justice, God and America. He never shot to kill only to disarm. The older I get, the more I LOVE a hero like that. A hero that is a TRUE role model, someone to aspire to, and NOT the kind of person who needs a little mud splattered on him just to make him 'relatable' to a modern audience...

This movie... did not QUITE reach the standards I wanted it to... There was humor, there was action, it was as unrealistic as humanly possible.... all of which I am FINE with. I LOVED Pirates of the Carribeen and that is a fair association. Also toss in the Mask of Zorro and the Chris O'donnel/Charlie Sheen 3 Musketeers.

THAT is the feel of this movie, and it was a LOT of fun and very enjoyable.

Could I have directed it better? Absolutely. There were some seriousl choices that were utter fails. The biggest of them all is the rampant CGI. This movie cost more the $200,000,000. And its' a WESTERN... The Mask of Zorro was a FANTASTIC movie that was set in the same period and only cost $68,000,000 to shoot.

If this movie flops its because a western will never make THAT kind of money back.

Most of the complaints are so petty I hate the thought of the movie crashing on them. Depp is weird... True. The crow on his head is weird... true. It's an origin story.... honestly, Its' been so long, that an origin was the way to go, which means there WILL be lots of exposition and lulls in the action. This is a GOOD thing. Character development is what HAPPENS when nobody's shooting.

I was not a fan of the way they tried to turn his code of honor into naive foolishness... but at the same time he didn't really abandon his code either. So the subtext was there for those who wanted to see it... but actions speak louder than words too...

I'm probably going to see it again tomorrow with my friends.

Here's the important thing. YEs.... Lone Ranger was a bit of 'the fool'... but it was NOWHERE NEAR the travesty that the Green Hornet got when they turned the vigiliante superhero into a stoner buddy movie.

THAT was what I feared for this show.... and it wasn't even close.

MovieBob is wrong calling this a bad movie... just as he was wrong with Green Lantern and Amazing Spiderman. Those weren't 'great'.... but they did not suck. And honestly he's seen enough movies to know the difference.

Catwoman... Steel... Green Hornet... THESE movies 'Sucked' and Lone Ranger is WAY above anything like that.

I DO think it will go into history as a flop.... but that is due to the high budget, that FRANKLY wasn't needed for this kind of Genre film.

Master of New Adventures!
    It was over for me when I saw Depp walkin' around with a dead bird on his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    It was over for me when I saw Depp walkin' around with a dead bird on his head.
    And I personally LOVED it and thought it was hilarious! I am still walking around acting like I am feeding a dead bird on my head. lol.

My family saw it this weekend and we all liked it.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    And I personally LOVED it and thought it was hilarious! I am still walking around acting like I am feeding a dead bird on my head. lol.
    I thought it worked too. It was a funny gag... and then it took on some serious weight once you knew the origin of it...
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

And hence the name MOTU_Maniac.

Seriously, I didn't go to the film, so I only saw the bird deal in the trailer. Now that JonWes pointed out there was some weight to it, I may have to reconsider. The question now becomes, how much did the bird 'weigh' and what's the cost per pound? AH-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Problem with critics in general is that to be "set apart" is considered a good thing. road less traveled mentality. anti system mentality. Some how along the way being outside of the general public with popular things became a sort of "higher than thou" mentality.

its why I never go by what the critics say. I can get half way through a review most of the time and can tell you whether the writer is being genuine, or if he is writing to seem like he doesn't like it and picking it apart in ways that you really wouldnt normally. as soon as I figure out the "tone" of the critic I can tell if I should take his analysis to heart or not.

The worst part about modern critics is that you can tell that some of their reviews are written just to stir controversy and generate website hits. That, and some of them have either not seen the movie or are just regurgitating another writer's thoughts by substituting a few words. It's kind of painful. I felt like the passing of Ebert was like the end of an era for movie criticism.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

I felt like the passing of Ebert was like the end of an era for movie criticism.
    I agree.

And nowadays you can't go by a critic review anymore. Some of my favorite movies are a critics worst nightmare. I go see a movie if I like the source material in the preview. If a personal only goes by reviews then they will miss out on a lot of great films.

And hence the name MOTU_Maniac.

Seriously, I didn't go to the film, so I only saw the bird deal in the trailer. Now that JonWes pointed out there was some weight to it, I may have to reconsider. The question now becomes, how much did the bird 'weigh' and what's the cost per pound? AH-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Don't play with my fragile emotions. lol.

I thought it worked too. It was a funny gag... and then it took on some serious weight once you knew the origin of it...
    Glad someone agrees. I thought its origin was a very toughing part of the movie.

Sad to see Disney is planning on taking a $150 million write down (loss) on this film, possibly surpassing John Carter. On the other hand, look what they made from the Pirates franchise.

What a business.

Sad to see Disney is planning on taking a $150 million write down (loss) on this film, possibly surpassing John Carter. On the other hand, look what they made from the Pirates franchise.

What a business.
    Yeah, I just don't understand. Maybe it's me, but I thoroughly enjoyed both John Carter and The Lone Ranger.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    My wife and I just got back from seeing it and we both loved it. We also loved John Carter, so there.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

And I really enjoyed BATTLESHIP. No, it wasn't CITIZEN KANE or GONE WITH THE WIND, but I thought it was entertaining, had an engaging plot line, some pretty fair acting and afterwards I didn't want my two hours back.

Obviously, I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    My wife and I just got back from seeing it and we both loved it. We also loved John Carter, so there.

Quote Originally Posted by theblock View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. Johnny Depp never grabbed me like he did some people, and I usually scoffed at him being just another in A long line of young heart throb actors. Having said that, at least he actually has some talent, which is more than I can say about some heart thob actors we've seen lately. (cough*Robert*Pattinson*cough*Taylor*Lautner*cough *Zac*Efron*cough*Channing*Tatum*cough) Also, the majority of Depp's films don't really interest me. He's mostly in Tim Burton films, and Burton's style is an acquired taste that doesn't always click with me. Weather he does have native American blood, or not, the big problem with the casting of Tonto has to do with A huge shortage of native Americas who actually made in bin in Hollywood right now. Sure, blacks, and latinos have made their mark, and they're in pretty good shape, but we haven't seen the native American equivalent of say, Will Smith. Just thought I'm point that out.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Here's the important thing. YEs.... Lone Ranger was a bit of 'the fool'... but it was NOWHERE NEAR the travesty that the Green Hornet got when they turned the vigiliante superhero into a stoner buddy movie. THAT was what I feared for this show.... and it wasn't even close. MovieBob is wrong calling this a bad movie... just as he was wrong with Green Lantern and Amazing Spiderman. Those weren't 'great'.... but they did not suck. And honestly he's seen enough movies to know the difference. Catwoman... Steel... Green Hornet... THESE movies 'Sucked' and Lone Ranger is WAY above anything like that. I DO think it will go into history as a flop.... but that is due to the high budget, that FRANKLY wasn't needed for this kind of Genre film.
    I've seen Bob's review of 'Green Lantern', and after seeing the movie for myself, it's not all that bad. Sure, it wasn't 'great', but I've definitely seen worse, and it could've been better if they had more time to polish it up at least. 'Steel' pretty much sucked, and Shaq's 'costume' looked more like A joke compared to how Steel looked in the comics, or the 'Superman' animated series. Haven't seen 'Catwoman', but just the sight of the poster turned me off.
    Last edited by mbaker; July 16, 2013 at 11:53am.

Personally, I'm kind of glad to see this movie flop. I had no interest in it so it really doesn't affect me, but I am quite tired of Johnny Depp. He always has to play "weird" roles, and it's tiresome at this point. He's a bit overrated in my opinion. Not a terrible actor, just terribly overexposed.

I did enjoy John Carter. Perhaps the Lone Ranger isn't a bad movie, but Johnny Depp in it has totally turned me off from wanting to ever see it.

I'm also hoping that RIPD (Rest in Peace Department) flops as it looks like a horrible movie (to me) as well.