Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential Historical Break For Fans Of Vintage PoP?

Potential Historical Break For Fans Of Vintage PoP?

Could this potentially be a big (historical) break for fans of the vintage Princess of Power toy line? While scouring the net, I stumbled upon Syliva Shapiro's blog. She used to be a Senior Product Designer at Mattel, and PoP was one of the lines she worked. Her resume says that she worked on preliminary and visual design, development & styling of prototypes, illustration, direction and presentation of projects. And under her portfolio section, there is a drawing that looks reminiscent of Spinnerella. It's hard to see the date, but it looks like it might say 1985? Not sure. Tried contacting her, but haven't received a response. Maybe she can tell us who did the Princess of Power box art?

https://sylviashapiro.wordpress.com/about/
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Great find Tallstar! It does look like Spinneerella!

Last edited by Mantisaur82; October 14, 2015 at 12:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Great find Tallstar! It does look like Spinneerella!

https://sylviashapiro.files.wordpres....jpg?w=1000&h=
    Reminds me a bit of the concept art in the Germany catalog, where there are streamers coming from Spinnerella's choker.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Wow! Amazing find! I love this!

Still no word from Sylvia. Not sure if I should try e-mailing a second time or just let it be.

Tallstar I got an answer from her on my side, try again

I asked if she designed few of the toys and she answered: "Yes, I was a designer in the Princess of Power group at Mattel between 1984 and 1986. I designed Peekablue, Spinnerella, Flutterina, Netossa, and the Seaharp. "

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Tallstar I got an answer from her on my side, try again

I asked if she designed few of the toys and she answered: "Yes, I was a designer in the Princess of Power group at Mattel between 1984 and 1986. I designed Peekablue, Spinnerella, Flutterina, Netossa, and the Seaharp. "
    How exciting! Since you already got a response, maybe you (or Val) could see if she would be willing to do an interview or possibly be involved in a future Dark Horse book?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    How exciting! Since you already got a response, maybe you (or Val) could see if she would be willing to do an interview or possibly be involved in a future Dark Horse book?
    Yes I can see for that
    Here is the complete message I got from her:

"Hello Johnny,

Yes, I was a designer in the Princess of Power group at Mattel between 1984 and 1986. I designed Peekablue, Spinnerella, Flutterina, Netossa, and the Seaharp. Mattel kept all of the original drawings and prototypes so I don't have any of them.

Thank you for your interest in this toy line. I really enjoyed working on it.

Sylvia"

I replied to it and asked if she remembers about the packagings artist(s) name(s) and if the girl dancing on its portfolio was Spinnerella, I am now waiting for a new answer.
    If she answers a new time I will ask for an interview.
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; October 21, 2015 at 04:11pm.

I love the illustration of Spinerella! Neat. Would be great to hear her speak about designing Peekablue

Totally Dyslexic
    Great stuff!

A toe shoed, afro curled Spinnerella She looks great!

And finally we know who designed Peekablue! Sylivia Shapiro is my new favorite Mattel ex employee
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Reminds me a bit of the concept art in the Germany catalog, where there are streamers coming from Spinnerella's choker.
    It's interesting how different Spinnerella's very nature/personality appears to be in the concept art for the German catalogue, versus the Filmation incarnation. In the cartoon, she came across as A FIERCE INDIVIDUALIST - someone who would never be reduced to driving a carriage for anyone, including She-Ra, even after joining the Great Rebellion!! She only served the CAUSE of the Rebellion, versus any of its leaders directly, whereas in the German concept art, we see her as a totally subservient person who literally SERVES She-Ra and Glimmer THEMSELVES! I know she was supposed to be the 'Dizzying Defender', but I must say I prefer the Filmation concept of her defending the cause of good, and defending her friends when they were in trouble, versus defending anyone as some kind of servant/bodyguard the way the German artwork suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    I'm sure the answer to my question must be common knowledge for many of you, but who 'created/originated' the aforementioned characters - Mattel or Filmation? I think I've read that Mattel created Netossa and had Filmation incorporate her into the cartoon, but what about Peekablue, Spinnerella, and Flutterina? If they were Mattel creations, would Sylvia Shapiro have only "designed" the characters, based on descriptions/instructions/specifications from Mattel executives, or would she have literally come up with the very CONCEPTS (including character attributes etc) for each of the above too?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    A toe shoed, afro curled Spinnerella She looks great!
    While I think the Filmation hairstyle suits the character much more than the afro curled hair, I positively LOVE the toe shoes, because it is reflective of the fact that she's not only a 'dizzying defender', but also a DAZZLING *DANCER*. Her 'dancing' in the Filmation cartoon was A TOTAL JOKE because Filmation equated her spinning with her dancing, whereas Sylvia Shapiro's wonderfully imaginative and evocative artwork displays the terrific technique and glorious grace of a real, classically trained dancer!!!!!

It would be great to see the original Peekablue design...

VERY cool!!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Neat find! An interview would be cool to hear. Fingers crossed.

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    While I think the Filmation hairstyle suits the character much more than the afro curled hair, I positively LOVE the toe shoes, because it is reflective of the fact that she's not only a 'dizzying defender', but also a DAZZLING *DANCER*. Her 'dancing' in the Filmation cartoon was A TOTAL JOKE because Filmation equated her spinning with her dancing, whereas Sylvia Shapiro's wonderfully imaginative and evocative artwork displays the terrific technique and glorious grace of a real, classically trained dancer!!!!!
    The afro is a nice touch and simply very 80´ies but i honestly can say i like the flowing hair better which suits the character. Especially the two toned version her vintage toy came with AND i agree with you the toe shoes would have been amazing for her and this picture just proofs it
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Wow - amazing!!! I think as an artist it would be so gratifying to know that there are people out there who really appreciate your work, so I hope if she responds she will come take a look at these forums and see how many people love those designs!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    The afro is a nice touch and simply very 80´ies but i honestly can say i like the flowing hair better which suits the character. Especially the two toned version her vintage toy came with AND i agree with you the toe shoes would have been amazing for her and this picture just proofs it
    Yes, the afro hair is definitely "very 80s" and although I didn't like it at first, when I saw it on my computer, it strangely struck me as much nicer when I saw it on my phone. I guess some things look better when they're 'smaller', and vice versa. But like you said, "the flowing hair" definitely suits the character MUCH BETTER. Do you actually own the vintage Spinnerella toy, Niki? I feel like the images I've seen of the two toned hair have failed to convince me, but I might feel differently if I see it right in front of me like a lot of the other dolls.

Very glad you agree with me about the toe shoes too!! But then again, you're from Vienna, so of course you would share my classical, aesthetic sensibilities.

I'm still waiting with bated breath to see if there has been an interview... It would be so wonderful to know who did the box art all these years later!

Few questions were sent to Sylvia, I am for now waiting for an answer from her but I can't promise that I will have a return because I sent an other message just before and did not get any news :/

Widget
    I think I read somewhere that she's a professor/teacher? If so, I can totally understand why she wouldn't have time to reply.

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Yes, the afro hair is definitely "very 80s" and although I didn't like it at first, when I saw it on my computer, it strangely struck me as much nicer when I saw it on my phone. I guess some things look better when they're 'smaller', and vice versa. But like you said, "the flowing hair" definitely suits the character MUCH BETTER. Do you actually own the vintage Spinnerella toy, Niki? I feel like the images I've seen of the two toned hair have failed to convince me, but I might feel differently if I see it right in front of me like a lot of the other dolls.

Very glad you agree with me about the toe shoes too!! But then again, you're from Vienna, so of course you would share my classical, aesthetic sensibilities.
    To be honest… i could have owned her but back than i refused to get her or Netossa. A friend of mine had them and i simply didn´t like them. All the fabric and color choices irritated me… so much to aesthetics

This is very interesting. I wonder if she has any info of unreleased characters/prototypes. Or even the Bubble carriage maiden.

So, I have no news from Sylvia since my last message sent with the interview questions Inside.
    I am trying a last attempt today with her, hope this time it will be working lol
    I'll keep you in touch.

Awesome. Thanks for continuing to try!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

It's possible she's weirded out by our interest...also possible she's just busy with other work.