Thread: Question about Stratos 8 back Variants (USA Version)

Question about Stratos 8 back Variants (USA Version)

As far as I know there are three variants of the Stratos 8 back USA version: Blue Beard with Blue Wings, Grey Beard with Blue wings and Grey Beard with red wings (this seems to be the more common version of the three).

Which was the first version of the Stratos figure: the one with blue wings or the one with red wings??? I know this question has been asked before on the forums but the answers seem to be contradictory.

Additionally, I would like to know if the Blue Beard Stratos variant was the first version of the Stratos figure or if it came later on.

I don't know if this information helps but I have a loose Blue Beard Stratos that is marked "Mattel Inc. 1981 Taiwan".

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Eternian Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Asher99 View Post
    As far as I know there are three variants of the Stratos 8 back USA version: Blue Beard with Blue Wings, Grey Beard with Blue wings and Grey Beard with red wings (this seems to be the more common version of the three).

Which was the first version of the Stratos figure: the one with blue wings or the one with red wings??? I know this question has been asked before on the forums but the answers seem to be contradictory.

Additionally, I would like to know if the Blue Beard Stratos variant was the first version of the Stratos figure or if it came later on.

I don't know if this information helps but I have a loose Blue Beard Stratos that is marked "Mattel Inc. 1981 Taiwan".

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Only knew about the red wings variant but not about the others until I joined the Org...

Quote Originally Posted by Telchar View Post
    Only knew about the red wings variant but not about the others until I joined the Org...
    Can someone help me out here????
    Eternian Collector

I'm positive the red wing version was the original. Maybe the blue wing version was made the same year, but a different run?

This page seems to correlate the red wing version being the first.
    http://www.he-man.org/collecting/toy.php?id=510

As far as the blue beard version - first I've heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    I'm positive the red wing version was the original. Maybe the blue wing version was made the same year, but a different run?

This page seems to correlate the red wing version being the first.
    http://www.he-man.org/collecting/toy.php?id=510

As far as the blue beard version - first I've heard about it.
    Many thanks for your answer FutureRetro but according to what I have seen that info is not accurate, the Blue Beard Stratos with Blue Wings (I really doubt a MOC Sample with Red Wings ever existed) would be the equivalent to the Half Boots Skeletor or Red Dots Man-at-Arms version which are the very first versions of that figures... That's the reason I think the Stratos with Blue Wings (Blue Beard or Grey Beard) is older than the version with red wings...

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    For sure blue beard is the early stratos version since it is more close to the original prototype. The second and other runs are with less paint apps on them so they didnt paint the beard for stratos.
    Regarding wings I am not very sure about that though.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED :

>>>>> Canadian He-man/Teela/Ramman <<<<<
    >>>>> Canadian Skeletor/Faker/Beastman <<<<<

Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    For sure blue beard is the early stratos version since it is more close to the original prototype. The second and other runs are with less paint apps on them so they didnt paint the beard for stratos.
    I agree with you Boba and since the Blue Beard Stratos only came with blue wings that would be another proof that the blue wings version was the first one...
    Eternian Collector

Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    The color of the beard has nothing to do with how much paint apps was used since his head is molded in red rubber, so both beards, grey or blue are painted on the red rubber.

Blue Beard Stratos has inverse blue/gray paint apps compared to regular variants. His eyewear is painted grey instead of blue and his eyelids and beard are blue instead of grey. So it must be PRODUCTION ERROR in a short run (until correction was made).

Blue Beard Stratos was sold on the 8-BACK CARD.
    The question is what Stratos variants were sold on the 8-Back card with NO WARRANTY?

Here is the one with red wings:

So the first edition Stratos was the one with red wings (based on NO warranty card)

and here is the one 12 back Stratos, blue wings variant:

Is there 12 back card with Stratos with red wings????
    We are talking ONLY ABOUT Stratos made in TAIWAN.

But to find out about Stratos original design, we should look at the cross- sell art, which shows red wings:

Or we could check the prototype which shows red wings too (note that early Stratos prototype has torso with smooth chest, not hairy as Beastman, also has no feathers on the harness):

Until; you see this photo which shows second Teela Prototype and BLUE BEARD, BLUE WING Stratos next to her...with other figures PROTOTYPES or their first releases ("Purple Loincloth" Skeletor, "Red Dots" Man-At-Arms, "striped tail / orange lips" BattleCat...)

But then again, with the sape second Teela Prototype and other early release figures (or prototypes???) Again red wings Stratos.

and to add more confusion... here is Stratos BLEU WINGS on the photo with the other FIRST RELEASE figures:

But based on logic of the design, it would be expected that eyelids and beard are gray as the rest of his body, and eyewear to be blue as his harness and loincloth (or wings in some cases), not vice versa. That's why I believe that blue beard variant is an error.
    Last edited by Mantisaur82; March 3, 2014 at 12:23pm.

Mantisaur82, your anwer was simply awesome! Many thanks for the info my friend, you are indeed very knowleadgeable, congratulations!!

So, according to your post the Blue Beard version is a production error. That is very interesting.

Regarding the Red Wings/ Blue Wings question please be advised that I had also seen the Blue Wings Version in an 8 back card and without warranty, although in less numbers than the red wings Stratos counterpart. So that doesn't help us to solve the mistery, right?

Thanks again for your answer, I really appreaciate it.
    Last edited by Asher99; March 2, 2014 at 09:33pm.
    Eternian Collector

Mantisaur82 you're da man! Awesome info about one of my favorites figures.