Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 101

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.5!

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior Drewsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    North Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,100
    This is probably the most informative WTFWTK we've had yet. Definitely by far my favourite Q&A we've had so far. Although I'm still waiting to see the packaging.

    Drewsky...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

  2. #27
    www.thecomixverse.com Flint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    414
    the more answers we get, the more I feel the line is in good hands with TG and the 4H.

    From a personal standpoint I'm glad they are going with the core characters first, since those are the characters for me that embody MOTU. Also helps with the visibility/nostolgia factor for those that might see the ads and such.

    Glad the females will have sculpted hair too, it just looks better imo.

    And for those upset that the obscure characters aren't coming right away, think about how sweet it will be when they do get announced.
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior Defendery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    147
    I am just so glad the line is underway and that it seems that it is being managed with care. I truly hope to see this line succeed to a very high degree. If a movie or cartoon series would eventually result that would just be icing on the cake. I think it would be great for another generation to grow up with MOTU.

  4. #29
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,799
    I thought those were all great detailed answers. I think this was the best q and a responce wise. Even given that some of the answers disappointed me at least I know why and the reasons given totally make sense.

    Thanks for taking the time to give us these thoughtful answers to our questions!

    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Well, keep in mind that his answer was in response to "a direct-to-dvd animated movie or maybe even a new cartoon series"
    and his answer was based on the new toy line and a new live-action movie.

    What you are looking at is mostly the possibility of a new cartoon series if a new movie comes out and is successful.

    The odds of any DTV 2002 cartoon releases is slim to nil IMO.

    I say this only because I fear a rumor starting that a DTV continuation of the MYP series is coming,
    when in reality, he said nothing to comfirm this was the case.
    So I want to squash such a rumor before it happens.
    Yea we definitely don't need such a rumor which your right could only end up causing lots of disappointment.

    From his answer to the question though its clear that they know that we really want one and really that's whats important right now. IF/When the time comes for such a thing they are aware of how badly we crave it. I think a lot of fans are just happy knowing that.

    Which brings me to a big THANK YOU Val for continuing to do these QandA's and setting this up; they are really awesome. They really make us all feel personally more apart of this.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior Darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Modesto, Ca
    Posts
    1,108
    Y'know, I didn't know anything about the mentioned dimple either but upon inspection I found that my KG's power sword has a dimple. Kind of wish it didn't. Oh well, it could be worse.

  6. #31
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,713
    Loved the Q and A this time around! LOVE the answer to the PoP gals and the 2 head question. I'm all in favor of the PoP gals only getting sculpted hair heads, so that they will finally feel like they belong to the same line as MotU, because they really are all a part of the same line!

    But there are a couple of things...

    The dimple in the sword question... It was mine, and Toyguru, PLEASE Show me a Sword from any KG that doesn't have the dimple I'm talking about. The only picture I've seen with the correct shape on the sword are from the Prototype. EVERY picture I've seen of anybody's KG actual toy has this issue with the swords.
    (Look in this thread where people have posted their pics.)

    Here's a picture I put together further illustrating my point.


    Again, Please put my heart at ease and show me an actual figure that does NOT have this problem with the Power Sword.

    I only fuss about it because it's the Power Sword, a rather important thing to get right for the Property I would hope.

    It's not a deal breaker for me for the line, but I would hope something could be done about it for He-Man and Skeletor and their swords.

    ...

    Oh and as per the illustrations for characters that didn't have cardback illustrations? You know there are plenty of artists here that would LOVE a crack at doing illustrations for characters like... Oh, the Green Goddess for example... I happen to know of an madly INSANE fan of hers that's a decent artist in his own right and for that particular character alone would probably do the illustration for FREE...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  7. #32
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,195
    Hey Nate, if Mattel doesn't take you up on that offer, then I will!


  8. #33
    Spirit of She-Ra ! Angel-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    4,053
    It would be amazing if they let you do it nate. Your green goddess art and the busts you did a few years ago are just incredable.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

    I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

    IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

  9. #34
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Y'know, I didn't know anything about the mentioned dimple either but upon inspection I found that my KG's power sword has a dimple. Kind of wish it didn't. Oh well, it could be worse.
    I didn't know anything about the dimple issue either. Mine do have it too though. Hmmm.

    And Mattel... if you offer soft PoP heads, I'll root them for everyone. Kidding.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

  10. #35
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Hey Nate, if Mattel doesn't take you up on that offer, then I will!

    If you're working with the 4HM to produce Green Goddess figure, to be packaged and sold to any who want it with Mattel's permission, then I'll do one for you too.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  11. #36
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,957
    I'm VERY disappointed about not getting a PoP rooted head, but here's a solution to that problem:

    1) Make it so all the figures heads can be removed.
    2) Make rooted PoP heads wherever Mattel makes the Barbie heads.
    3) Pack the heads together and sell it as a boxset or two of rooted heads.

    Problem solved. Those who really want rooted heads, like me, can get them.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  12. #37
    Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grove City, Ohio USA
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I'm VERY disappointed about not getting a PoP rooted head, but here's a solution to that problem:

    1) Make it so all the figures heads can be removed.
    2) Make rooted PoP heads wherever Mattel makes the Barbie heads.
    3) Pack the heads together and sell it as a boxset or two of rooted heads.

    Problem solved. Those who really want rooted heads, like me, can get them.
    A box of heads... something only collectors would buy.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

    Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

  13. #38
    Bug-Shido Warrior gatchagrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    989
    Personally i think think the DC base figures are BETTER for NA characters...
    i think this wold be a great way to get NA in the line sooner and keep down tooling costs too...
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

    Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

  14. #39
    USF Bull chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    6,679
    Thank you Toyguru for answering more questions! I personally am glad that the PoP girls won't be coming with rooted hair (it looks cheap IMO). Although, I'm sorry for those that were hoping for it. Remember the She-Ra proto shown at SDCC a few years back? I think sculpted hair on the PoP girls will be great! I can't wait to see what else is coming in 2009!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

  15. #40
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,195
    Add me to the list of preferring the sculpted hair.

    We're talking about the 4H here, remember.

    With rooted hair, you have color and length and that's about it to distinguish one from the other.

    With sculpted hair, the 4H can give each PoP character the unique flair they deserve!

  16. #41
    It says ICEMAN oICEMANo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    9,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

    Oh and as per the illustrations for characters that didn't have cardback illustrations? You know there are plenty of artists here that would LOVE a crack at doing illustrations for characters like... Oh, the Green Goddess for example... I happen to know of an madly INSANE fan of hers that's a decent artist in his own right and for that particular character alone would probably do the illustration for FREE...
    INDEED! Im very concerned about re-using old art on these... I really think new art should be produced. He-Man.org has plenty people like Nate said who would love to help with this!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

  17. #42
    A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Quagmi swamp
    Posts
    9,167
    I agree, new art should be used. That would make the new package even more appealing.
    I don't like the idea of reusing old art at all.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

  18. #43
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,195
    Why can't they do BOTH?
    I'm sure they can make enough room on the package.

    Besides, that's pretty much what the figures are: a mix of the old with the new, so it would make sense for the artwork to reflect that.

  19. #44
    Heroic Warrior hemix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    75
    I'm THRILLED the POP figures will have plastic hair and be more uniform to the He-Man characters (not having rooted hair). That was a big disappointment for me when I was a kid; it always bothered me they weren't uniform to the He-Man line and the Evil Horde figures.

  20. #45
    Master of DVDs BCI Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,494
    Quote Originally Posted by hemix View Post
    I'm THRILLED the POP figures will have plastic hair and be more uniform to the He-Man characters (not having rooted hair). That was a big disappointment for me when I was a kid; it always bothered me they weren't uniform to the He-Man line and the Evil Horde figures.
    Absolutely. I've never thought rooted hair "worked". I had a ton of Mego Superheroes growing up and I hated the look of the rooted hair on both the female (like Wonder Woman and Batgirl) and male (like Thor and Conan) figures.

    It also seemed to cross a line between "Action Figures" and "dolls".

  21. #46
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,957
    Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    A box of heads... something only collectors would buy.
    MOTUC is a collectors line, so I agree completely!

    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I personally am glad that the PoP girls won't be coming with rooted hair (it looks cheap IMO). Although, I'm sorry for those that were hoping for it. Remember the She-Ra proto shown at SDCC a few years back? I think sculpted hair on the PoP girls will be great! I can't wait to see what else is coming in 2009!
    I may be in a minority here, but I personally hated the sculpted hair She-Ra proto we saw. Her hair looked terrible in the "wind whipped" look. I would die if all the PoP girls have their hair like that. I'm a big female action figure collector and I think it's one of the WORST things that can be done with a figure.

    Psylocke is my favourite X-Men and I was STOKED when they were going to release her first action figure. The prototype was beatiful, then out comes a very light purple haired Psylocke with "wind wipped" hair. They ruined her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    With rooted hair, you have color and length and that's about it to distinguish one from the other.

    With sculpted hair, the 4H can give each PoP character the unique flair they deserve!
    That's not true, actually. In the 80's line, Glimmer Has ultra-curly hair, Spinnerella has loose curly hair (a couple big curls), Mermista and Purfuma have VERY interesting hairstyles, Entrapa has dual braids (extremely long), Double Trouble has a really long, slightly curly strand of hair coming out her helmut, etc.

    Most were different. HOWEVER, since this line is a very heavy re-use line, who's to say all the PoP figures won't share the EXACT same head and hair and they will just be repainted different colours? I can really see that happening.

    I'm still extremely disappointed about NOT getting rooted hair as well as sculpted hair, because I'm a huge fan of the 80's cartoon AND figures.

    This would be like Mattel announcing the MOTUC line wouldn't have the chunkiness of the original 80's MOTU figures, or they would only be doing classic figures in 200X colours, or only with 200X weapons. Those are the only examples I can think of.

    I'm also REALLY worried about how the figures will look. I LOVE the 4Horsemen's work for the most part, but let's be honest, they haven't had the greatest track record with sculpting women:

    -Teela: her chin is REALLY pointy, her hair is unrealistic at the front (crazy bangs), her arms are WAY too skinny and she's in a terible stance so her figure doesn't stand on her own (all MOTU females shared the arm and standing problem).

    - She-Ra: Her face I'm a little iffy on. I prefer my 80's Starburst/Bubble Power She-Ra head. She-Ra wasn't an angry battle cry/bite your head of warrior. Sure, she WAS a warrior, but she was also gentle and compassionate.

    - Wonder Woman: an AMAZON WARRIOR who is almost anorexic and is no where near as beautiful or strong looking as the DC Direct Wonder Woman based on her new comic.

    They have made some really nice women though:

    - Sorceress: Perfect except for the giant hole in her backside and inability to stand on her own. I'm not a fan of the Sorceress in constant flight.

    - Evil Lyn (mini-statue): Again, perfect...BUT she suffers from the same stance problem the MOTU female action figures had. She's in this weird standing to the side pose which is passive agressive/submissive which makes her prone to falling. This pose doesn't even fit Evil Lyn. She's an evil, coniving power house of a witch!

    I think maybe the 4Horsemen just need some more experience sculpting women?

    I want PROPER proportions, meaning: NO anorexic arms or waist, NO double D-sized chests, or thunder thighs. I want them to fit in with MOTUC men and not look like teens or pre-teens.

    *end venting*

    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Absolutely. I've never thought rooted hair "worked". I had a ton of Mego Superheroes growing up and I hated the look of the rooted hair on both the female (like Wonder Woman and Batgirl) and male (like Thor and Conan) figures.

    It also seemed to cross a line between "Action Figures" and "dolls".
    Rooted hair is like added articulation. You can pose the hair however you want (if you LIKE the wind whipped look, you can just add some hair gel or water soluble glue and POSE it. You can do this in any way you want and if you don't like it like that anymore, you can change it.

    However, if they SCULPT a hairstyle in a way you do not like it (like wind whipped), it's stuck that way forever and you have an ugly figure for life. Hard sculpted hair (if it's like King Grayskull's) means no head movement at all.

    Yay for sculpted hair.

    I personally just want both. I want the option to display them in both ways. I think it's a slap in the face to all the fans of the PoP figures (i.e. the majority of people who WILL be buying ALL the PoP figures and not JUST She-Ra or Adora).
    Last edited by Darkspecter; October 6, 2008 at 03:00pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  22. #47
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I'm also REALLY worried about how the figures will look. I LOVE the 4Horsemen's work for the most part, but let's be honest, they haven't had the greatest track record with sculpting women:
    Yes, let's BE HONEST.
    All of what you said is completely your opinion, which you are perfectly entitled to, however I have to say I disagree with just about all of it.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  23. #48
    Spirit of She-Ra ! Angel-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    4,053
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Absolutely. I've never thought rooted hair "worked". I had a ton of Mego Superheroes growing up and I hated the look of the rooted hair on both the female (like Wonder Woman and Batgirl) and male (like Thor and Conan) figures.

    It also seemed to cross a line between "Action Figures" and "dolls".
    Personally I would be happy for either rooted of sculpted hair. I just want some POP characters. But I find the argument of of rooted hair crossing a line intresting. I am not saying that you are wrong, but if we are applying that same logic then Tytus and Megator from the original line would also have been action dolls rather than action figures. Many times I have seen orgers argue that rooted hair is the deal breaker and use it to down on POP all the time. But we never hear anyone dismiss Megator or Tytus who both had rooted hair. I have always seen this as somewhat of a double standard.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

    I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

    IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

  24. #49
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,799
    I don't mind sculpted hair. I think I'll be happy with it. It does disappoint me though that we won't be getting a rooted alternative though. I understand the reasons and they make sense however, it sucks that MOTU fans get their line done as a send up to the old retro line, but the pop fans don't.

    POP fans have been waiting a really long time to get something and it would have been nice if it could have been what the MOTU peeps are getting with this line aka something that reminds them of their old childhood toys. I supose something is better than nothing though.

    I know it sounds kind of odd but that box of heads idea would make a lot of us really happy. lol and it would be easier for mattel to do as they could JUST order some heads to be made from another place.

    Also I don't understand why some fans are so down on us getting a 2 head... you are getting your sculpted head no matter what. Why try to keep other fans from getting something that would make them happy too. How does a second head ruin it? I'm not referring to anyone in this thread in particular, just in general since we found out about MOTUC its something I've noticed.

    Anyway it sounds like its a no go anyway so it doesn't really matter. BUT if there IS a way to get a "head pack" or something (hahaha) I think you would be making a lot of fans really happy.
    Last edited by Patreek; October 6, 2008 at 03:26pm.

  25. #50
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Yes, let's BE HONEST.
    All of what you said is completely your opinion, which you are perfectly entitled to, however I have to say I disagree with just about all of it.
    There's a whole thread about the "insect-like" look of Mattel female action figures, how they look anorexic, their arms are too skinny, etc. I believe you have posted in that forum about wanting more realistically proportioned women as well. So, it's not just me. Also, someone has posted this question in the WTFWTK section recently.

    About the MOTU female standing problems, when Teela, Evil-Lyn and She-Ra were released almost everyone was complaining about them falling over, not being able to stand, etc. This problem is because of their stance. I was actually one of the few people who DIDN'T complain about the not being able to stand problem. However, after a while She-Ra and Teela both decided standing on their own was no longer an option. My Evil-Lyn figure is fine though.

    ...and I agree with everything Patreek said. PoP fans always seem to be on the backburner.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; October 6, 2008 at 04:05pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •