Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 101

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.5!

  1. #51
    Oracle of Fabulousity Kevenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    7,187
    I'm glad to hear that POP characters will have sculpted hair. That way, they will fit in better with the line as a whole and with Teela.

    However, I also hope they don't have the "windblown" look sculpted in their hair with it blowing around. I would hope that Mattel will use a very soft and pliable rubber (heck, they can pretty much use the plastic they use to make their JLU figures, since thoeese are practically bendy figures ) for their hair, that way the head can still move around and be posed in different ways.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

    "Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

    - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

  2. #52
    Heroic Warrior Mern-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I'm glad to hear that POP characters will have sculpted hair. That way, they will fit in better with the line as a whole and with Teela.
    Agreed!!! I also think they look too much like dolls with the rooted hair, and I don't collect dolls.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

    Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

    The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

  3. #53
    Master of DVDs BCI Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Personally I would be happy for either rooted of sculpted hair. I just want some POP characters. But I find the argument of of rooted hair crossing a line intresting. I am not saying that you are wrong, but if we are applying that same logic then Tytus and Megator from the original line would also have been action dolls rather than action figures. Many times I have seen orgers argue that rooted hair is the deal breaker and use it to down on POP all the time. But we never hear anyone dismiss Megator or Tytus who both had rooted hair. I have always seen this as somewhat of a double standard.
    As far as guys with rooted hair, I pointed out I didn't like the Mego Thor or Conan's hair.

    And I will admit it is a double standard for the female characters. Rooted hair on a female character makes them more of a "doll" in my opinion. Not so with a male, it just makes for an ugly figure (again IMO).

  4. #54
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    There's a whole thread about the "insect-like" look of Mattel female action figures, how they look anorexic, their arms are too skinny, etc. I believe you have posted in that forum about wanting more realistically proportioned women as well. So, it's not just me. Also, someone has posted this question in the WTFWTK section recently.
    Just because I favor a more Frazetta proportioned female base for MotU and PoP does NOT say that I don't like what the 4HM have done with the DCUC and DCSH gals.

    (Nor do I see Frazetta proportioned women as completely realistic btw.)

    I just want something different for MotU than what's been done for DC.

    I quite like how the 4HM sculpt female figures. I will admit they don't always reproduce well after production, but looking at the 2-ups? Wow! I love them! That's my opinion on the matter, please don't try and confuse it. If you're going to say I posted something, you'd better re-read what I posted so as to not mis-represent me again. I never said I wanted "realistic proportions".

    ...

    I'm totally with BCI guy too, rooted hair = dolls. My preference for the PoP gals is sculpted hair.
    I can see why there's such fuss over no rooted hair heads. I understand the point of view from the PoP fans that want it, but I feel it's a big departure and wont feel like the same line as the MotU guys n' gals, just like the two lines back in the day didn't feel like they belonged together. I'm really looking forward to the idea of finally having the two properties be the one giant line they were always meant to and evolved to be.

    Oh and I'd be very opposed to Megator and Titus having rooted hair!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  5. #55
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,195
    What that Nate guy just said.

  6. #56
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,888
    I've always preferred sculpted hair on action-figures. I think rooted hair looks somewhat tacky.

  7. #57
    Heroic Warrior preternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    246
    The new MASTERS CLASSIC will not bring my 80's memories back.
    The figures are too large... don't like mixing the lines in one series.
    When the forthcoming SHE-RA looks like similar to the ugly 200x version, rooted or sculpted hair heads make it not better!

    I love the vintage MASTERS and PRINCESS OF POWER toys only.
    That are the best-selling toys today!
    Which version would selling better to diehard collectors - a produced original '87er HE-RO issue or a MOTUC Horsemen designed one?
    Same for the STAR SISTERS...

    When MATTEL not make real MASTERS and PRINCESS OF POWER 80's stuff, I am really missing in my collection, I will not buy something new with the idea to printing "Classic" on packages!

    MATTEL brought with the Commemoratives some of the 80's flair back and I hope that was not the last time...

  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior Leoghan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    were the mountains meet the swamps
    Posts
    591
    i think alot of people are just nit picking,
    if we all love motu and want to see it grow and be in mainstream again then it has to update , maybe not as much as MYP but far from filmation.
    and i dont really understand some people that have been waiting for YEARS for POP to get a nod and start producing figures, now alot are upset that they wont have rooted hair? really? i do prefer sculpted myself as it looks better IMO. but if it were rooted ide still get them and be happy.
    wasnt the commemorative line a complete copy of old ones?
    i loved my old toys, i loved what 200x looks like except power sword. i like the looks of the new line, seems a good mix a old , new and new.
    Eternian Beastmaster

  9. #59
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Leoghan View Post
    i think alot of people are just nit picking,
    if we all love motu and want to see it grow and be in mainstream again then it has to update , maybe not as much as MYP but far from filmation.
    and i dont really understand some people that have been waiting for YEARS for POP to get a nod and start producing figures, now alot are upset that they wont have rooted hair? really? i do prefer sculpted myself as it looks better IMO. but if it were rooted ide still get them and be happy.
    wasnt the commemorative line a complete copy of old ones?
    i loved my old toys, i loved what 200x looks like except power sword. i like the looks of the new line, seems a good mix a old , new and new.
    ok yea you make a good point. Just bring on POP. lol

  10. #60
    Heroic Warrior Leoghan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    were the mountains meet the swamps
    Posts
    591
    i dont mean to offend or upset anyone with the last post dont get me wrong i have my own feelings on what my MOTU should be , but i know i have to share MOTU with everyone else so aslong as its still going and remains MOTU at heart ill be there
    Eternian Beastmaster

  11. #61
    Wise Old Trollan Uncle Montork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,764
    You can add me to the "glad the girls will have sculpted hair" camp. I don't mind it at all, and it won't start to get funny and/or fall out after years like rooted hair, plus it makes the original POP line unique in a way.

    I, too, was wondering about question 2. I can see how the other characters may be obscure, but Mara? She was in the NA cartoon quite a bit.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

  12. #62
    Heroic Warrior invaziondrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    SENY
    Posts
    261
    Also, for major characters like Skeletor, we would be more likely to do a new release then pack in a new head since he is a guaranteed seller no matter what the head is.
    I'm sorry, but this is about the most $ driven response I could possibly imagine. "We know you'll always shell out for a whole new Skeletor figure, so why give you guys more product for one price, when we can get ya for two?"

    Oh well, at least he's honest.
    Last edited by invaziondrummer; October 6, 2008 at 11:04pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

    BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

  13. #63
    Heroic Warrior Leoghan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    were the mountains meet the swamps
    Posts
    591
    the biggest problem with only doin new heads for old figures such as skeletor is that if they all sell out and leave many wanting that figure then we wait for variant to come out, if they only make a new head only the people who managed to buy them befor they sell out would be getting them, even as a buyer ide rather have them make different chase he-mans and skeletors than just say heres a head, and some armor for ya
    Eternian Beastmaster

  14. #64
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Just because I favor a more Frazetta proportioned female base for MotU and PoP does NOT say that I don't like what the 4HM have done with the DCUC and DCSH gals.
    My statement just meant there are lots of people who think the female figures are too skinny/anorexic looking. I didn't say you said that specifically, but you did say you would like them more muscular/beefier (Frazetta). So, I'm sorry if that was misconstrued.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I'm totally with BCI guy too, rooted hair = dolls. My preference for the PoP gals is sculpted hair.
    I can see why there's such fuss over no rooted hair heads. I understand the point of view from the PoP fans that want it, but I feel it's a big departure and wont feel like the same line as the MotU guys n' gals, just like the two lines back in the day didn't feel like they belonged together. I'm really looking forward to the idea of finally having the two properties be the one giant line they were always meant to and evolved to be.

    Oh and I'd be very opposed to Megator and Titus having rooted hair!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leoghan View Post
    and i dont really understand some people that have been waiting for YEARS for POP to get a nod and start producing figures, now alot are upset that they wont have rooted hair? really? i do prefer sculpted myself as it looks better IMO. but if it were rooted ide still get them and be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    You can add me to the "glad the girls will have sculpted hair" camp. I don't mind it at all, and it won't start to get funny and/or fall out after years like rooted hair, plus it makes the original POP line unique in a way.
    Now...I don't really understand all the people who are, more or less, campaigning for not getting an EXTRA rooted head, or applauding that PoP fans WON'T be getting an extra head which is reminiscent of the 80's toyline. This baffles me.

    Are people upset about Mer-Man and Man-At-Arms getting an alternate head? I haven't heard anyone gripe about that, but for some reason a bunch of people don't want PoP fans to get a rooted head in addition to the sculpted one. This would only make sence to me if people were asking ONLY for a rooted head, but no one is. We're only asking that we get additional rooted heads.

    In my honest opinion, the PoP figures are some of the ONLY figures that really need an additional head because they have the most significant difference: rooted hair vs. sculpted. Man-At-Arms' and Mer-Man's additional heads looks awesome and I'm pumped for them, but the PoP girls need alternate rooted heads as well.

    PoP fans have waited 26 years for more figures. Why would any fan want to deny the hardcore fans of what they want when the rest of the fan community is already getting what they want?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leoghan View Post
    wasnt the commemorative line a complete copy of old ones?
    There were no PoP commemoratives. Only MOTU.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  15. #65
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,795
    I really liked where he mentioned the possibility of a Shadow beast figure!!! :-)

  16. #66
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Now...I don't really understand all the people who are, more or less, campaigning for not getting an EXTRA rooted head, or applauding that PoP fans WON'T be getting an extra head which is reminiscent of the 80's toyline. This baffles me.

    Are people upset about Mer-Man and Man-At-Arms getting an alternate head? I haven't heard anyone gripe about that, but for some reason a bunch of people don't want PoP fans to get a rooted head in addition to the sculpted one. This would only make sence to me if people were asking ONLY for a rooted head, but no one is. We're only asking that we get additional rooted heads.

    In my honest opinion, the PoP figures are some of the ONLY figures that really need an additional head because they have the most significant difference: rooted hair vs. sculpted. Man-At-Arms' and Mer-Man's additional heads looks awesome and I'm pumped for them, but the PoP girls need alternate rooted heads as well.
    I don't read that we who want sculpted hair are "campaigning" for no second head. We're just stating our contentment with the decision Mattel has made. We just won the "coin toss" so to speak.
    Believe me we'd be in your position were the opposite true, that we are getting rooted hair with no hope of sculpted hair. We'd probably be saying the same thing, please pack two heads.

    I can't speak for the others, but I can speak for myself that while I do prefer sculpted hair, I wouldn't be opposed to a second head being packed in. In fact I don't believe I've ever posted anything that would say I only want one head.

    Again, you're making some assumptions here and we all know what happens when we assume things.

    I don't think you have a reason to be "baffled" on that point... But that's an assumption on my part.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  17. #67
    Wise Old Trollan Uncle Montork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South Philly, PA
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I don't read that we who want sculpted hair are "campaigning" for no second head. We're just stating our contentment with the decision Mattel has made.

    I can't speak for the others, but I can speak for myself that while I do prefer sculpted hair, I wouldn't be opposed to a second head being packed in.

    Again, you're making some assumptions here and we all know what happens when we assume things.

    I don't think you have a reason to be "baffled" on that point... But that's an assumption on my part.
    Agreed. I wouldn't be opposed to a 2nd head of rooted hair or a box of heads later on, but I'm happy with the sculpted hair. It just seems like we're wrong for being happy with sculpted hair or something...
    Last edited by Uncle Montork; October 7, 2008 at 12:46am.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

  18. #68
    Bug-Shido Warrior gatchagrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    989
    well at least you POP fans got a She-ra ...and with rooted hair...

    what have NA fans gotten...

    i am not knocking POP fans...i actually think she-ra was better cartoon than MOTU... by filmation...

    but the arguement about rooted or not rooted hair s mue..its not about good or bad its about COST...plain and simple ...the place they are making the figures does not have the capacity to do figures with rooted hair...shame..but that is just the way it is...

    right now i am still waiting for mattel to show me a NA or a POP character....
    so where are they mattel?

    i will be happy to see a proto of either property...not that MOTU is not awesome...
    Last edited by gatchagrey; October 7, 2008 at 12:50am.
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

    Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

  19. #69
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I don't read that we who want sculpted hair are "campaigning" for no second head. We're just stating our contentment with the decision Mattel has made. We just won the "coin toss" so to speak.
    Believe me we'd be in your position were the opposite true, that we are getting rooted hair with no hope of sculpted hair. We'd probably be saying the same thing, please pack two heads.
    I was speaking about all the people who have said they don't want a rooted head at all, some of which said they won't buy a single PoP figure if they come with an EXTRA rooted head. Those posts are back in the PoP extra head thread. I'm not assuming...just too lazy to go back to the other thread to use multi-quote because mine isn't working right today.

    Quote Originally Posted by gatchagrey View Post
    but the arguement about rooted or not rooted hair s mue..its not about good or bad its about COST...plain and simple ...the place they are making the figures does not have the capacity to do figures with rooted hair...shame..but that is just the way it is...
    That's why I proposed Mattel make the rooted heads at the location they make their Barbie heads. They have the capacity to make rooted heads, obviously. That's probably why a box/package of rooted heads would be best/cheapest option. They wouldn't have to ship the heads to the other company to package and then send the final product to California. The heads could be produced and packaged at the barbie head factory and then sent to California.

    Quote Originally Posted by gatchagrey View Post
    right now i am still waiting for mattel to show me a NA or a POP character....
    so where are they mattel?

    i will be happy to see a proto of either property...not that MOTU is not awesome...
    I agree. I want to see at least one PoP and NA character. I can't WAIT for Sagitar! He's my favourite. He can also be used as a vehicle.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; October 7, 2008 at 01:00am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  20. #70
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,795
    I think its a really good sign that they took such switch action switching vendors because of the problems with KGS.

    Also their answer to question 10 has me REALLY excited about who is to come. :-) I really hope this line is well enough supported so that we can get the most out of it
    Last edited by Patreek; October 7, 2008 at 01:07am.

  21. #71
    Bug-Shido Warrior gatchagrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I was speaking about all the people who have said they don't want a rooted head at all, some of which said they won't buy a single PoP figure if they come with an EXTRA rooted head. Those posts are back in the PoP extra head thread. I'm not assuming...just too lazy to go back to the other thread to use multi-quote because mine isn't working right today.



    That's why I proposed Mattel make the rooted heads at the location they make their Barbie heads. They have the capacity to make rooted heads, obviously. That's probably why a box/package of rooted heads would be best/cheapest option. They wouldn't have to ship the heads to the other company to package and then send the final product to California. The heads could be produced and packaged at the barbie head factory and then sent to California.



    I agree. I want to see at least one PoP and NA character. I can't WAIT for Sagitar! He's my favourite. He can also be used as a vehicle.
    i understand your passion for having rooted hair..but i just do not see enough people with the same passion to order JUST heads...or for mattel to produce such a product...the TOOLING alone would not make it possible..which is why they are concentrating on characters they can reuse parts with in the begining...almost all the characters announced share parts...

    and sagitar would be awesome....but i'll settle for a he-man and a skeletor ...as a beggar i wont be a chooser..ill take ANY NA ...JUST give me an NA...as for POP along with She-ra...just give me a CAT-ra...once again ...begging...not choosing...big names are fine..just give me ANYTHING from these lines
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

    Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

  22. #72
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by gatchagrey View Post
    i understand your passion for having rooted hair..but i just do not see enough people with the same passion to order JUST heads...or for mattel to produce such a product...the TOOLING alone would not make it possible..which is why they are concentrating on characters they can reuse parts with in the begining...almost all the characters announced share parts...

    and sagitar would be awesome....but i'll settle for a he-man and a skeletor ...as a beggar i wont be a chooser..ill take ANY NA ...JUST give me an NA...as for POP along with She-ra...just give me a CAT-ra...once again ...begging...not choosing...big names are fine..just give me ANYTHING from these lines
    I really don't think you'd have to retool them much. You could use mostly the same sculpt for the head, it would essentially be the same head but bald and hallow. Also most fans of Pop i talk to really want this and about half people polled do too http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ghlight=rooted

    Regardless, its already been stated we won't be getting them as pack ins so thats that. I'm glad someone asked the question of a "head pack" for the next QandA just incase thats a possibility.ol Most likely their response will just be:
    "depending on support of the line its something we could look into"

    So really I do agree with some who have stated we should be happy with what we are getting and support the line because IF we ever want to see these type of things happen they are only going to happen if the line is a success. However, that said for those who want rooted heads, I suggest you talk to other POP fans and try to get them to make their voices heard too to give them a better idea of how many people this really matters to. A few of us just saying it over and over doesn't is less effective.

    I know its disappointing but thats just where things seem to stand right now. If we just got ONE NA and ONE pop this year I'd be SOOO excited. :-) And hey if the POP figures end up being REALLY successful maybe they'll re-release some with rooted heads. You never know... just support the line so we can find out!:-)

    Anyway what do you all think about the possibility of that shadow beast? I think that would be SO cool!
    Last edited by Patreek; October 7, 2008 at 02:03am.

  23. #73
    Bug-Shido Warrior gatchagrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    989
    absolutly...if i had the grodd pieces i make one myself ust to see how it may look...

    what would it take..a new head sculpt?...

    i would also love for them to look into using dc bodies for NA also... i think they a propotioned better...than the more bulky MOTU..and would be more suitable for the characters...IMO
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

    Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

  24. #74
    Heroic Warrior illicitjedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I've always preferred sculpted hair on action-figures. I think rooted hair looks somewhat tacky.
    I disagree. I know they want plastic hair to keep the line uniform. But I never, ever thought that rooted hair looked tacky. I would love to see something rooted in the future, even if it has to be an exclusive.
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

  25. #75
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,725
    Quote Originally Posted by illicitjedi View Post
    I disagree. I know they want plastic hair to keep the line uniform. But I never, ever thought that rooted hair looked tacky. I would love to see something rooted in the future, even if it has to be an exclusive.
    You don't have daughters with monster hair barbies do you?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •