Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.6!

Hybrid View

Answers to WTFWTK 2.6!

Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 6 questions!

1. Are there, or will there be any plans to release blank, unpainted versions of characters for customizers to use in creating custom characters?
    An interesting idea. It is something that has come up in internal meetings here. If there is enough fan demand we could very well do this.

2. Will Mattel release any 2-packs or boxsets? (eg: Rock people, Evil Horde, army builder sets, etc)
    As with anything beyond single figures, we will have to see how the line performs before announcing anything larger. But you can bet, if there is enough demand for something like this we’d love to do it.

3. If Mattel releases figures that can serve as army builders (leg: Horde troopers, palace guards, etc), will mattycollector.com lift the ordering limit so fans can order larger quantities?
    Definitely.

4. Since Warner Bros distributes the 1987 movie, and Warner owns DC, and Mattel has a relationship with DC, is deal possible with WB where Mattel can release characters from the movie that never saw action-figure form in the 80s?
    Unfortunately no. Since this seems to be a constant rumor online, let us put it to rest right now. Mattel does not have the rights to make figures based on the 1987 film. We could do Blade, Saurod or Gwildor because they had figures in the 1980s. We do not have access to any other characters.

5. At the very least, can Mattel make 1987 movie-design inspired figures of characters they own? (eg: Skeletor, Sorceress, etc)
    While some fans have asked if we could just deco an existing figure to look like the movie version, this is just something we are not interested in doing. It is like poking a sleeping bear. Why cause trouble when we have so many great characters we CAN do?(the same goes for Shadow Weaver BTW, we know fans ask if we can do a “Horde Female Wizard” which we’d love to, but again, just not worth the legal problems it could incur). Hopefully with so many characters from the 1980s toy lines and the 2002 series the line will have enough legs to go for many years and please countless fans.

6. How well does the MOTUC line have to perform before Mattel will consider increasing their release frequency? (eg: 2 figures a month or more)
    That is really hard to say at this point as there is not an exact formula to determine this. If the first figures sell out in a day or so you can bet we will re-evaluate our tactics. We don’t have an exact scale but rather want to see how the first few figures do online.

7. Has mattycollector.com made any progress with the subscription / preordering / group shipping option? Many fans would like to save money on shipping by having figures shipped in intervals while avoiding a possible sell-out of a first-edition figure.
    Yes. We will have an option to buy 12 figures at once. These figures will be mailed as they come in each month. We won’t unfortunately have the ability to hold a “subscription” of character in our wherehouse and send them at the end of the year though. That would just take too much man power at this point. If you do order all 12 figures through the subscription you will receive each figure as it comes out to avoid sell outs.
    ***JVS3 note: Just to clarify, that means you'll also have to pay the appropriate shipping on each figure. Preordering all 12 figures for that year won't save you any money, but will insure a first-run figure.

8. Has Mattel given thought to the option of letting foreign distributors or retailers purchase/handle quantities of the line to help defray shipping & handling costs to fans?
    Yes, we are looking into this. We need to see how many international customers we have for the first few figures before we officially announce plans and make arrangements for this.

9. Has Mattel considered producing accessory packs for specific characters to modify them into other figures, with the hopes of keeping production costs low while offering more variety to fans? (eg: Terror Claws Skeletor gear)
    A cool idea but more likely we would do Terror Claw Skeletor as his own figure as a future variant. As with the second question, we need to see how the first few figures do before expanding to other concepts.

10. Will the cards have the factions displayed below the MOTU logo as they did in the 80s (eg: Snake Men, Evil Horde) or alternate logos (eg: Princess of Power logo for She-Ra characters)?
    Well, yes, yes they will.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 8!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    And have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 6 questions!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    1. Are there, or will there be any plans to release blank, unpainted versions of characters for customizers to use in creating custom characters?
    An interesting idea. It is something that has come up in internal meetings here. If there is enough fan demand we could very well do this.
    If at all possible, I would love to have soft vinyl/plastic heads for the female figures.

10. Will the cards have the factions displayed below the MOTU logo as they did in the 80s (eg: Snake Men, Evil Horde) or alternate logos (eg: Princess of Power logo for She-Ra characters)?
    Well, yes, yes they will.
    Really happy to read this part.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar

Wa ha haha I asked a sensible question. The bit about using them for art was left out. Just think it would raise the profile of MOTU further. Ever hear about the artists customising the Darth Vader helmets? - http://www.flickr.com/photos/starwar...7600262862719/

Calle the Vader Project... imagine this with MOTU!!!
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Wa ha haha I asked a sensible question. The bit about using them for art was left out. Just think it would raise the profile of MOTU further. Ever hear about the artists customising the Darth Vader helmets? - http://www.flickr.com/photos/starwar...7600262862719/

Calle the Vader Project... imagine this with MOTU!!!
    Now that I think about it, give me soft plastic heads for the MOTU guys as well. I'll give He-Man a fringe.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    weren't we supposed to get pictures of the Cards/package today

Heroic Warrior
    I agree... I thought, and could have sworn that they
    said October 15th would be the reveal of the packaging for the lien.

I really want to see what they came up with for it.
    "White Ranger... Dino Power"

Not sure if Toyguru said that in another Q&A on another site, but we aren't expecting any new photos until stuff goes on sale at mattycollector,
    which won't be until the end of November/early December.

The idea originally was for Mattel to post new toy news/photos each month that a new toy went on sale.
    Because those got pushed back, so did the news/photos.

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    4. Since Warner Bros distributes the 1987 movie, and Warner owns DC, and Mattel has a relationship with DC, is deal possible with WB where Mattel can release characters from the movie that never saw action-figure form in the 80s?
    Unfortunately no. Since this seems to be a constant rumor online, let us put it to rest right now. Mattel does not have the rights to make figures based on the 1987 film. We could do Blade, Saurod or Gwildor because they had figures in the 1980s. We do not have access to any other characters.

5. At the very least, can Mattel make 1987 movie-design inspired figures of characters they own? (eg: Skeletor, Sorceress, etc)
    While some fans have asked if we could just deco an existing figure to look like the movie version, this is just something we are not interested in doing. It is like poking a sleeping bear. Why cause trouble when we have so many great characters we CAN do?(the same goes for Shadow Weaver BTW, we know fans ask if we can do a “Horde Female Wizard” which we’d love to, but again, just not worth the legal problems it could incur). Hopefully with so many characters from the 1980s toy lines and the 2002 series the line will have enough legs to go for many years and please countless fans.
    Well, that's it, and that's that. Sadly, the dream I've had for the last 21 years of some day owning a figure of He-Man in his awesome William Stout designed movie costume is a dream that is now dead. Mattel will NEVER make this figure, thus disappointing the movie's many fans worldwide.

JVS3, thanks for all your efforts in getting these questions answered by Mattel. it is much appreciated.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    Well, that's it, and that's that. Sadly, the dream I've had for the last 21 years of some day owning a figure of He-Man in his awesome William Stout designed movie costume is a dream that is now dead. Mattel will NEVER make this figure, thus disappointing the movie's many fans worldwide.

JVS3, thanks for all your efforts in getting these questions answered by Mattel. it is much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that was my question, and if not, I know I asked it that way at some point. Anyway, I wish these answers would come with more of an explanation, instead of a flat yes or no. The point behind "connecting all the dots" between WB and Mattel in the question was to explore the fact that a legitimate relationship already exists between the two companies, and NOW with the announcement of the commitment Mattel has to a new MOTU film (WITH WARNER BROS!), it seems even MORE of a no-brainer to be able to do these figures. Obviously there are reasons that AREN'T so obvious that prevent that, and I'd just like to see some light shed on that area so the rejection of the idea would possibly be a slightly easier to swallow "pill".

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    That would be cool!!!

Several blank bodies: 1 strongman, 1 hairy, 1 alien, 1 female, etc
    Couple different heads
    Couple different armors
    Couple different accesories

I'd be curious to know how much leaving off the paint ops would drop the price per item for Mattel.
    I've read it's among the biggest cost besides the steel tooling.
    Since I keep seeing people say "paint ops" a lot, I have to ask: Isn't the term supposed to be "paint APPS" as in Applications?
    Last edited by invaziondrummer; October 18, 2008 at 11:45am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by invaziondrummer View Post
    Since I keep seeing people say "paint ops" a lot, I have to ask: Isn't the term supposed to be "paint APPS" as in Applications?
    "Paint ops" refers to "paint operations".

Since its use has increased over the past couple of years in my toy-related reading across the 'net, I'm guessing it's the industry/factory term.

Quote Originally Posted by Raining Light View Post
    A package change isnt so bad,
    but I am a MOC collecter, so it still hurts
    Yeah, especially if you're a completist AND a MOC collector.

But honestly I doubt there will be that many characters that will meet the criteria: "key characters" that sell out "quickly".

He-Man, Skelly, maaaybe the random character that they do a smaller production for that ends up having greater demand than anticipated.

From that same answer, TG says "Our goal is to make sure all MOTU collectors can get these new figures."
    I just hope that extends to chase figures and paint/accessory variants too, if or when we get to them.

Just as an example:

If gray/purple Evil-Lyn sells out in a day or two, but yellow/blue Lyn is still stocked plentifully, I'd hope Mattel would make some more gray/purples to avoid scalper feeding frenzies.

If folks really approached this from an investment POV, you'd always go after the 2nd (or even 3rd) run items because they are far more limited.
    That's interesting, never thought of it like that.
    But like in comics, doesn't the first print usually go for more than the second or third, because that's the version everyone wanted in the first place, necessitating the new printings?

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    I appreciate the responses val. I have thought about why I like 1st run figures more then 2nd run and I guess it comes from my background in comics and star wars, especially star wars. With a 1st run figure if there's a mess up or a variation that the factory missed that's where it will be on the 1st run figure. 2nd runs are usually created to fix the error and then that "corrected" figure is what ships from then on in. After 13 years of collecting that's pretty much what I have learned in hunting these things down. Much more with star wars then MOTU which to my knowledge never had specific runs like comics.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Thexxwatcherxx's Newly Chosen:
    Batman1180~The Godbeast~TheFallen~
    Sword-of-Grayskull~ChrisBryan~

I don't collect to make money or eventually make money, so first runs or second runs or whatever don't matter. I get the version I like and forget about the rest. I think if you're collecting to make money, and thus first prints or second prints make a difference, you probably need to find a more profitable hobby, cause as far as that goes, this one stinks!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Are there, or will there be any plans to release blank, unpainted versions of characters for customizers to use in creating custom characters?
    Glad to hear they're giving it some thought, and they should for some "blank" DCUC bodies as well!

One thing (and this goes for several of these and past answers).
    How will they gauge what is "enough fan demand"?
    By reading the forums here? Checking their mailbox?

One thing is to put something up for sale and see how well it sells, but it's another to put an idea out there. I'd like to know what Mattel considers an accurate measure of fan demand.

My other thoughts:

AWESOME on lifting limits for Army-Builders!!

I may not be able to afford to go CRAZY @ $20 each (so hopefully they might offer a slight discount at more than a certain amount) but I'd love to have a bunch of Horder Trooper, especially if they look (or could look with a little painting, etc) good with my Horde Stactions cause then I'd need at least a few HT's for BOTH collections.

On the Movie figures, I'm actually cool with that.
    I was never a fan of the movie designs except for those that they made action figures of anyway. Blade was one of my favorite MotU figures as a kid, and I'd love to see what the 4H would do with him, Sauron and Gwildor!

I'm torn on the subscription service.
    On the one hand I don't want to miss out on any figures, but on the other hand if the line doesn't sell at the lightning speed that KG did, I'd rather NOT be subscribed and wait and buy 2-3 figures at once to save on shipping.
    But I do want to support the line and make things as easy for Mattel as possible, so hopefully Toy Guru can chime in with what Mattel would prefer.

Just saying, it takes time to put things in motion so if by knowing right off the bat how many "guaranteed" sales they have they can go ahead and greenlight stuff like more 2-packs, army builders, vehicles, etc based on that info, then I will sacrifice saving the shipping bucks.

Another question about the subscription service.
    Buy 12 figures . . . does that mean Mattel is considering NO paint variants/head variant figures in the first year?
    If so, that's a mistake IMO!
    Also, would the subscription plan guarantee you at least one Convention Exclusive?

2. Will Mattel release any 2-packs or boxsets? (eg: Rock people, Evil Horde, army builder sets, etc)
    As with anything beyond single figures, we will have to see how the line performs before announcing anything larger. But you can bet, if there is enough demand for something like this we’d love to do it.

That is Awesome. I hope its good enought to get the snake men and the snake men army

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    8. Has Mattel given thought to the option of letting foreign distributors or retailers purchase/handle quantities of the line to help defray shipping & handling costs to fans?
    Yes, we are looking into this. We need to see how many international customers we have for the first few figures before we officially announce plans and make arrangements for this.
    Thank god... That is completely sensible. Too bad this won't come into play long after both He-man and Skeletor have come out tho.

I'm a bit worried if I'm going to be able to get both He-man and Skeletor at the same time, as I'm imagining He-man will be sold out by the time Skelly comes out...

Or will he? If he isn't, then I guess I can make it trough the first few figs with the atrociously high shipping and customs-fees I'll have to pay, knowing that it'll very soon get better.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Thats pretty lame about the movie figures.

Id actually buy a movie skeletor over any other figure mattel could ever offer me. Rather than re-hasing every charachter we already own again, itd be a great bold step to give us something ALOT (not all) of us wanted since our childhoods..........

And whilst im thankfull for King Grayskull (not his paint apps), Movie Skeletor > Everything on earth.

Unless we get Julie and her parents tomb stones....
    Prehaps Kevin with do notthing action, with sound chip "Ba...da da da....... Ba... da da da, DA DA!"
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    So far things look good to me. I just wonder if for the subscription service (if they do it) will they charge the full amount for the 12 figures all at once or charge per figure as they send them out. I hope they charge per figure as they send them out, otherwise I can't shell out that much money all at once especially with this economy as bad as it is.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Thexxwatcherxx's Newly Chosen:
    Batman1180~The Godbeast~TheFallen~
    Sword-of-Grayskull~ChrisBryan~

Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    So far things look good to me. I just wonder if for the subscription service (if they do it) will they charge the full amount for the 12 figures all at once or charge per figure as they send them out. I hope they charge per figure as they send them out, otherwise I can't shell out that much money all at once especially with this economy as bad as it is.
    My sentiments exactly...I am guessing that they will charge for all 12 figures at once. I only say that because this is a young site, and this would probably be easiest. I will do cartwheels if they only charge when a figure ships ala bigbadtoystore.
    Read my book: True Confessions of a Fanboy www.truefanboy.com

Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    This is my concern as well. Let's see how things pan out.
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

That sucks about KARG. I would have loved to have seen one made into an action figure. With the He-Man "knock off" toys that McFarlene has been releasing lately (Warriors of the Zodiac?), I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up making figures that looks similar to Karg and Shadow Weaver for some of that "MOTU" money.

So, if I understand correctly, Mattel wants to look at how many foreign fans order the first couple of figures to determine whether or not they open their own online store in certain areas?
    Howeber, a huge amount of Germans already said they ain't going to order via MattyCollector.com due to the language, higher shipping, credit card and PayPal payment methods, longer wait for arrival, toll problems, etc. BUT they would gladly order the figures if they were able to buy them directyl via a German onlineshop which ships the product within Germany.
    So, if many of them don't order via mattycollector.com, won't it appear to Mattel as if there just ain't enough Germans interested into the new line to warrant the installation of a German online store - despite the true facts why they didn't order?
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Another side note about the beautiful land that is Germany. (land of my ancestors)...

Google analytics on my blog tells me...

1. A sizable portion of folks that come to my blog come through THIS site. (thank you he-man.org!)
    2. Outside the US, the next country that visits my blog religiously would be Germany. They beat Canada (3rd country) two to one.
    (Admittedly my last name is Baertsch... )

Not saying that Mattel needs to do anything with this info, other than maybe based on Sir Reilly's post and what I've seen with my blog... There is without a doubt in my mind, a HUGE MotU fanbase in Germany, and could most likely support a distribution site there.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Do we even need to test the German fandom?

Seriously, wasn't Germany always top of the international sales?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    So, if I understand correctly, Mattel wants to look at how many foreign fans order the first couple of figures to determine whether or not they open their own online store in certain areas?
    Howeber, a huge amount of Germans already said they ain't going to order via MattyCollector.com due to the language, higher shipping, credit card and PayPal payment methods, longer wait for arrival, toll problems, etc. BUT they would gladly order the figures if they were able to buy them directyl via a German onlineshop which ships the product within Germany.
    So, if many of them don't order via mattycollector.com, won't it appear to Mattel as if there just ain't enough Germans interested into the new line to warrant the installation of a German online store - despite the true facts why they didn't order?
    Hey Sir,
    If there's a German onlineshop I will order there too (I am from Slovak Rep.). You have my support!!!!! Can you read this Mattel???
    => I WILL ORDER FROM A GERMAN ONLINESHOP <=

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    That probably is how it will appear to Mattel, and that's to be expected since, well, that's apparently the case.

If fans want the figures, they should order them. If there are that many reasons not to order, it seems to me it's not worth it to them (which is understandable. I can only imagine how much it would cost to get MOTUC in a foreign country).