October 15, 2008, 01:33pm
Answers to WTFWTK 2.6!
Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
Check out his answers to your Round 6 questions!
1. Are there, or will there be any plans to release blank, unpainted versions of characters for customizers to use in creating custom characters?
An interesting idea. It is something that has come up in internal meetings here. If there is enough fan demand we could very well do this.
2. Will Mattel release any 2-packs or boxsets? (eg: Rock people, Evil Horde, army builder sets, etc)
As with anything beyond single figures, we will have to see how the line performs before announcing anything larger. But you can bet, if there is enough demand for something like this we’d love to do it.
3. If Mattel releases figures that can serve as army builders (leg: Horde troopers, palace guards, etc), will mattycollector.com lift the ordering limit so fans can order larger quantities?
4. Since Warner Bros distributes the 1987 movie, and Warner owns DC, and Mattel has a relationship with DC, is deal possible with WB where Mattel can release characters from the movie that never saw action-figure form in the 80s?
Unfortunately no. Since this seems to be a constant rumor online, let us put it to rest right now. Mattel does not have the rights to make figures based on the 1987 film. We could do Blade, Saurod or Gwildor because they had figures in the 1980s. We do not have access to any other characters.
5. At the very least, can Mattel make 1987 movie-design inspired figures of characters they own? (eg: Skeletor, Sorceress, etc)
While some fans have asked if we could just deco an existing figure to look like the movie version, this is just something we are not interested in doing. It is like poking a sleeping bear. Why cause trouble when we have so many great characters we CAN do?(the same goes for Shadow Weaver BTW, we know fans ask if we can do a “Horde Female Wizard” which we’d love to, but again, just not worth the legal problems it could incur). Hopefully with so many characters from the 1980s toy lines and the 2002 series the line will have enough legs to go for many years and please countless fans.
6. How well does the MOTUC line have to perform before Mattel will consider increasing their release frequency? (eg: 2 figures a month or more)
That is really hard to say at this point as there is not an exact formula to determine this. If the first figures sell out in a day or so you can bet we will re-evaluate our tactics. We don’t have an exact scale but rather want to see how the first few figures do online.
7. Has mattycollector.com made any progress with the subscription / preordering / group shipping option? Many fans would like to save money on shipping by having figures shipped in intervals while avoiding a possible sell-out of a first-edition figure.
Yes. We will have an option to buy 12 figures at once. These figures will be mailed as they come in each month. We won’t unfortunately have the ability to hold a “subscription” of character in our wherehouse and send them at the end of the year though. That would just take too much man power at this point. If you do order all 12 figures through the subscription you will receive each figure as it comes out to avoid sell outs.
***JVS3 note: Just to clarify, that means you'll also have to pay the appropriate shipping on each figure. Preordering all 12 figures for that year won't save you any money, but will insure a first-run figure.
8. Has Mattel given thought to the option of letting foreign distributors or retailers purchase/handle quantities of the line to help defray shipping & handling costs to fans?
Yes, we are looking into this. We need to see how many international customers we have for the first few figures before we officially announce plans and make arrangements for this.
9. Has Mattel considered producing accessory packs for specific characters to modify them into other figures, with the hopes of keeping production costs low while offering more variety to fans? (eg: Terror Claws Skeletor gear)
A cool idea but more likely we would do Terror Claw Skeletor as his own figure as a future variant. As with the second question, we need to see how the first few figures do before expanding to other concepts.
10. Will the cards have the factions displayed below the MOTU logo as they did in the 80s (eg: Snake Men, Evil Horde) or alternate logos (eg: Princess of Power logo for She-Ra characters)?
Well, yes, yes they will.
Click here to ask questions in Round 8!
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
And have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 6 questions!