Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.7!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.7!

Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 7 questions!

1. For many Q&A answers, Mattel will say "if there is enough fan interest" that something asked about could happen. Unfortunately, that never tells fans the specifics on what needs to happen in order to create that level of interest. So, what exactly quantifies "enough fan interest?"
    Unfortunately this isn’t a question we can provide a direct answer to. Toy production runs and fincial information is proprietary information we don’t give out. We know that a lot of fans are hoping to have a measurable scale to be able to tell how successful a line is. All we can say is that we will let fans know how sales are doing as soon as the first figures go on sale.

2. Might we see the release of a new Commemorative line, or a MOTUC / Commemorative 2-pack type line, where we once again get figures in their original 1980s sculpting style, especially figures that were never released back then such as He-Ro or the Star Sisters?
    This is an idea we have discussed internally, but right now we want to put all of our efforts behind MOTUClassics. If the line takes off it will definitely open the floor for other possible MOTU lines such as another commemorative line. But nothing to announce right now.

3. Will Mattel be using all new sculpts for female figures in the line, or recycling female parts from the DCUC line? A number of fans feel the women should have proportions that are similar in tone to the classic line with a bit more "shape", whereas the DCUC females tend to be very thin in appearance.
    The basic female will indeed have a new sculpt. While we may occasionally use parts from DCUC, almost all of the parts for MOTUC will be new. We will get to at least one if not two females in year 1.

4. Since we're getting some figures with swappable heads, will the heads be removable on every figure? Even those without an alternate packed-in head?
    It would be nice to easily customize our figures with the armor and heads of our choice (eg:
    placing the head from the 2nd Skeletor release (what/whenever that may be) onto 1st Skeletor body)

Yes, all the heads will be removable. This was one of the features we wanted to put into the line from Day 1 and is one of the reasons we bumped He-Man and Beast Man to December.

5. In the 200X MOTU line, while the Four Horsemen did the majority of sculpts, some refreshes were done in-house by Mattel. Will the Four Horsemen be sculpting and/or designing all of the figures in MOTUC?
    Right now the plan is for the Horsemen to do all the sculpting.

6. Because of the push-back on the initial MOTUC release date, what is Mattel's proposed schedule for announcing new figures, showing photos, and showing us packaging (which we haven't seen any of yet)?
    We will roll out brand specific pages on MattyCollector.com in early November (including a page for MOTUC) which will detail all of this information. Right now the plan is for He-Man and Beast Man to go on sale in Dec, Skeletor in Jan, Stratos in Feb., and Mer-Man in April (Mer Man was originally the March figure but he was delayed a few weeks so the NYCC figure will become the March figure as well). The packaging will be revealed when we roll out the new brand page in early November. New figures will be revealed in the first quarter of 2009 once we judge sales of the first few characters. (we don’t want to get too far ahead and announce figures until we are sure they are going to market!)

7. When will we see the first MOTUC sculpts of characters from New Adventures, Princess of Power, and the 2002 MOTU universe?
    We definitely have characters from these lines in mind but we won’t be revealing further MOTUC until early 2009 once we judge sales on the first few figures. So the answer is sooner than later. The first year of product however will focus on the original MOTU line. New Adventures and POP figures will show up more in year two once we are up and running.

8. Instead of switching vendors, couldn't Mattel just produce rooted hair POP heads at a factory that makes Barbie heads? You could then package an additional rooted hair POP head with figures, or produce a set of additional variant heads to sell to fans.
    While this sounds like a great idea on paper, logistically it just doesn’t always work out. Many of the vendors who do rooted hair are in completely different countries. Because of tariffs and product development issues it just is not feasible at this point to develop MOTUC figures in multiple factories. It would just slow things down too much. For now, we hope fans will be excited that we will be including POP and other females in the line and many fan demanded characters.

9. In official MOTU licensing styleguides for the classic POP line, no mention of Filmation exists and there is only a ™ for Mattel. The designs inside are closer to the appearance of the characters on the Filmation cartoon. Does this mean those designs in the classic styleguide are possible for POP figures in the MOTUC line?
    We can’t comment too much on figures and characters we have not announced yet. The particular look of characters will be based (overall) on the look of the 1980s toy – updated. As for the POP styleguide, this is something we have reviewed internally, but the idea for all MOTUC figures is for the new toys to be modeled after their 1980s toy counterparts and not a unique look from the style guide. Although the style guide might on the surface appear to open the door to additional characters who were not made as toys in the 1980s, there are just too many legal restrictions at this moment to rock the boat like this. Much like our answer last time about being hesitant to do 1987 movie deco’d figures, for the POP line we will be sticking to just figures that were made in the 1980s. (or had prototypes made like the Tall Sisters).

10. Will Mattel ever team up with LEGO to have a LEGO-inspired MOTUC line?
    An interesting idea, but as Lego is a separate toy company so we can not comment on this publically.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 9!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    And have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 7 questions!

So much PoP commentary. I love it!

- Glad commemoratives are at least being discussed

- Happy about possibly getting 2 females in year one! Excellent! (Guess that pretty much means Teela and Evil-Lyn, or maybe the Sorceress switched out for one of those)

- Disappointed about having to wait for PoP until year 2. (We all better make sure this line lasts! hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    for the POP line we will be sticking to just figures that were made in the 1980s. (or had prototypes made like the Tall Sisters).[/B]
    lol @ the Tall Sisters.

Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 6 questions!

3. Will Mattel be using all new sculpts for female figures in the line, or recycling female parts from the DCUC line? A number of fans feel the women should have proportions that are similar in tone to the classic line with a bit more "shape", whereas the DCUC females tend to be very thin in appearance.
    The basic female will indeed have a new sculpt. While we may occasionally use parts from DCUC, almost all of the parts for MOTUC will be new. We will get to at least one if not two females in year 1.
    Good news. I'm happy hear about women in the new line in year 1. I was starting to get worried with the lack of info.

We will get to at least one if not two females in year 1.

I like this part.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 9.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Oooh we didn't ask them about a distributor based in Germany?
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Oooh we didn't ask them about a distributor based in Germany?
    I think they're waiting to see what the international demand is like on the first couple figures, before moving forward with anything. Though IMO, Germany's MOTU love should not be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    IThough IMO, Germany's MOTU love should not be tested.
    Indeed!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    No POP and NA until year two? That won't go over too well with the She-Ra fans...

I guess we'll get all of the original 12 back characters out of the way first. 12 characters + SDCC exclusive (NYCC is actually March's figure) + He-Man and Beastman from Dec 2008 = 15 MOTUC characters by the end of 2009.

Hmmmm...they ALL will have swappable heads??? That's one of the best things I've heard yet. So the 4H can go back and re-do heads at will? We can get an unmasked Duncan head, Blonde Teela, Terminator Faker (with half his face ripped off)...Keldor!!!! Dayummmmm....
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; November 3, 2008 at 10:32am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Some good stuff here. Removable heads on everyone, ALL OF THE PROTOTYPES ARE GAME!!

I think the question regarding the sketches for prototypes, those kind of characters were also game, weren't they?

Sad to hear there won't be any PoP among the first twelve... But glad to hear that there will be two females among the first twelve.

And I guess this answers the question if Faker would take over the spot for a regular fig, since such appears to be the answer.

Swappable heads all around... SWEEEEEEET!!!

Thanks Val and Toyguru!!!

And the packaging being revealed is JUST around the corner! Whoot!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Some cool stuff, but I have to say I'm annoyed, after we already had a two month delay, that Mer-man has been pushed back to April I thought Faker was just going to be an additional figure? I guess it gives more spotlight to Faker but... here's the thing... if a subscription becomes available I want to know I'm only getting new figures and not repaints. I realize Faker is a new character and I do want him, I just hope they don't do this in the future with other repaints. I thought they were supposed to be additional figures, not taking a month slot. Releasing Faker as an extra seemed okay, but now that he's taking up a slot I find it a little annoying this early in the line.

I can't wait to see the packaging! And...two female characters within a year! Awesome!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

If Faker is the March figure nad the NYCC figure, do you think this means he will have a slightly larger run than King Grayskull?
    www.TheComixverse.com
    The Comixverse | comic reviews/previews/editorials & discussion.
    Follow me on Instagram www.instagram.com/jcmilone

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    They haven't technically said there wouldn't be She-ra the first year. She could be one of the first two females which would totally shock everyone out of the Teela then Evil Lyn expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    If Faker is the March figure nad the NYCC figure, do you think this means he will have a slightly larger run than King Grayskull?
    Sounds like a great question to ask in the WTFWTK!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I would imagine that Faker would have a larger run than King Grayskull. I also expect there to be a sticker difference in the Con version and the one sold online, that perhaps the ones sold at the convention will have an exclusive sticked stuck to the packaging, in order to maintain its uniqueness, since it would be less cost-effective to have completely different packaging. Unless they decided to forgo any packaging differences at all.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    It sure would be cool if NYCC Faker and regular MOTUC Faker were different in some way.

Heroic Warrior
    Definitely a little bummer to not get both Mer Man and Faker in March, I was so excited to get more fast! Oh well. I do hope there is some slight deviation to the exclusive Faker but here probablly won't be.

Even though it is always annoying and expensive to try and track down Con pieces, I do think it's nice to have something special and different for those who shell out the time and money to go and wait in line to get the figures.

Regardless, I am just happy to have Toyguru giving us the 4-11 and to see these getting made. And the swappable heads is awesome. I mean who here didn't switch heads, armor and arms on their MOTU as a kid? Every birthday party where I got doubles of anyone I would create some new character. I guess that's when my affinity for customzing started, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by customcrazy View Post
    Definitely a little bummer to not get both Mer Man and Faker in March, I was so excited to get more fast!
    Agreed, especially since in the Faker announcement they made it sound like we should be excited about getting two figures in February. However, I beleive that's the first time ANY news having to do with MOTUC has bummed me out! I hope we get more info about Faker soon, but the good news is that it sounds like if you can't go to NYCC you will not have to worry about getting him AT ALL...right?
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Cool! The answers seem to be more candid and specific all the time!

1. For many Q&A answers, Mattel will say "if there is enough fan interest" that something asked about could happen. Unfortunately, that never tells fans the specifics on what needs to happen in order to create that level of interest. So, what exactly quantifies "enough fan interest?"
    Unfortunately this isn’t a question we can provide a direct answer to. Toy production runs and fincial information is proprietary information we don’t give out. We know that a lot of fans are hoping to have a measurable scale to be able to tell how successful a line is. All we can say is that we will let fans know how sales are doing as soon as the first figures go on sale.
    Hmm, I'm not sure if TG understood this question. (Or maybe I don't? )

I don't think it was asking about sales numbers or production runs.

What I took this question to mean is more about, how does Mattel gauge fan interest on something in particular?

Do they have some consultants from the fan base that they get input from?
    Being fans themselves, do they talk to the 4H?
    Does Mattel have people reading every post of every forum that ever mentions MOTUC?
    Do they consult the Oracle like KG did?

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Shame about not having Mer-Man and Faker at the same time, we need to get more figures out quickly!!!

I like the idea of swappable heads - Horde Trooper and Prince Adam's head anyone?

Glad we're getting females in year 1 - Teela and Green Goddess please!!!!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Teela and Green Goddess . . . sounds about right!

10. Will Mattel ever team up with LEGO to have a LEGO-inspired MOTUC line?
    An interesting idea, but as Lego is a separate toy company so we can not comment on this publically.
    Hey, that's not a 'no', is it!?
    Plus, he called it an interesting idea...

I'll just keep more fingers crossed...

( Thanks for selecting the question, by the way! )

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Teela and Green Goddess . . . sounds about right!
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Green Goddess being a strong possibility in year 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post

What I took this question to mean is more about, how does Mattel gauge fan interest on something in particular?
    I think what he means is that SALES are ultimately what determine interest. We can all post here until we crash the server about how excited we are about something, but until they actually see how well something sells they're unable to really gauge the interest.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.