Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Packaging / Box art / Card art Discussion

Yeah, I really wish they were designed better. Like I said before, I think it's blah at the very best

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    In the original MotU bible, .
    Wasn't this the Filmation bible...?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I'm late to the party but here's my take ...

I like it but I don't love it. I like the way the figures look in the bubbles and the front in general but I wish it had incorporated red into the color scheme. But seeing them now and looking back at KG's box - it was a natural transition to this design.

Funny, these are the first figures I'm going to keep imprisoned and I have to say I'm a just a tad disappointed - ESPECIALLY about the back.

The hierarchy is all wrong if you ask me. The bio and art (which is quite lacking) should be the most prominent. I'm biased though as I'm a graphic designer myself - I'd have done the back very differently.

But after all of the consternation I've felt about this line - I'm completely in on these. I can't refuse new MotU.

Overall - my grade B-

i dont like the front of the package at all ,it reminds me of something sold in the dollar store.the back of the card is nice ,sad that its the part thats gonna be facing the wall.

i believe that the 200x card paid more homage to the classics then this.everytime i look at the new motuc package it just screams 200x cartoon.

sorry mattel i need more then a dimple in a bubble to see homage paid. IMHO

IMO by going in this completely different direction (the packaging) with the line they are attempting to inject new life blood into MOTU.
    Lets go back in time a little, in '2000 they released the Commemorative line (Exactly like the classic line, with the classy black outer packaging).
    Fast forward to '2002 we got the Awesome 200X line which featured packaging that paid homage to the original 80's packaging, but the figures where re-imagined by the 4H.
    So here we are at the end of '2008 and we are getting another version of MOTU> This time the line is the exact opposite of the 200X line, where the figures pay homage to the 80's line, and the packaging is fresh and re-imagined.
    We don't need more tribute packaging we are all die hard fans, and we see the classic packaging everyday (just look around the room your sitting in). I just really think the MOTUC packaging is refreshing and I cant wait to actually see it.
    Oh and by the way I have a funny feeling that once we have the actual packaging in our hands, lot of opinions will change.

In an Island off the coast of The Evergreen Forrest
    Quote Originally Posted by HE-Fan78 View Post
    Oh and by the way I have a funny feeling that once we have the actual packaging in our hands, lot of opinions will change.
    OOOHHH YeaaaaH!!!! There's been a lot of complaints!! but Im sure we'll all be very happy when we get those figures in our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Wasn't this the Filmation bible...?
    It was written by Michael Halperin by the request of Mattel who wanted a bible for the Filmation toon as well as for merchandising purposes because kids were writing in asking about the characters and their background. Filmation didn't really follow the MotU bible though, it's pretty clear when reading it.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    It was written by Michael Halperin by the request of Mattel who wanted a bible for the Filmation toon as well as for merchandising purposes because kids were writing in asking about the characters and their background. Filmation didn't really follow the MotU bible though, it's pretty clear when reading it.
    And thank goodness for that!! Biff... sheesh!
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

IMO by going in this completely different direction (the packaging) with the line they are attempting to inject new life blood into MOTU.
    Lets go back in time a little, in '2000 they released the Commemorative line (Exactly like the classic line, with the classy black outer packaging).
    Fast forward to '2002 we got the Awesome 200X line which featured packaging that paid homage to the original 80's packaging, but the figures where re-imagined by the 4H.
    So here we are at the end of '2008 and we are getting another version of MOTU> This time the line is the exact opposite of the 200X line, where the figures pay homage to the 80's line, and the packaging is fresh and re-imagined.
    We don't need more tribute packaging we are all die hard fans, and we see the classic packaging everyday (just look around the room your sitting in). I just really think the MOTUC packaging is refreshing and I cant wait to actually see it.
    that is nice that you like it as i am sure many others do and perhaps many opinions will change but for the price they are charging mattel could have done more. i wouldnt call it refreshing as i have said before i think it looks like the 200x cartoon .
    they didnt have to make it red and the such as the figures before it and it should be refreshing but still have a classic 80's feel.heck, they could have used the face of castle grayskull(vintage artwork) and have the figures inside the mouth or outside the door, villains outside snake mountain,horde outside frightzone and so forth.they could have also just pasted all the old artwork(something like dcuc) all over the card or for the masters classic artwork of castle grayskull ,villians snake mountain and the like.
    there is so much more mattel could have done and those suggestions are just off the top of my head i can only imagine the cool ideas everyone else here could have come up with.
    i loved the classic artwork and thought it was the best part of the motu and i thought they should have used that and not just for a small pic and scroll.
    i open my toys but at only one per month i cant help but order more then one and its a shame the moc will stay in the closet instead of on the wall.
    i'm sorry but mattel could have done better.i respect your opinion he-fan78 about the package but i do not agree.

Or it will still look just as terrible, but bigger, and in peoples hands.

Sure opinions can change. But more than just a few people have said how bad this packaging looks. It's flat out awful. So much so that it's the deciding factor in some people not buying the line. If this line tanks, Mattel will just say it's cause we didn't support the line. Yet, I think if they asked for more input from the fans (other than how many we want to buy from them, thanks Mattel for listening to us on how much we can spend on your products!) things could pan out better.

Think of it this way. You put up a poll of say 4 or 5 different card ideas. One showing original artwork from the 80s line. One just like the 80s line in red. One showing Castle Grayskull and other things like Vorgon mentioned. Does anyone honestly think that the MAJORITY of the fans would chose THIS design over any of the other ones mentioned? I highly doubt it. Obviously you can't please everyone, so no sense to try and do so. However, I'm sure a lot of us could have lived with some other sort of options more than the dud they gave us. For a retro line, the others don't seem like a deal breaker to me.

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar
    I'm okay with how they designed the back of the card, I'm even okay with the MYP influence on the front except for the dull green grayskull bricks. It just doesn't really have a wow factor for me & I'm convinced it still won't when I have He-man & Beastman actually in my hands.

Personally though, it's not a deal breaker for me in purchasing the lien but sadly it has dampered my interest in buying multples. The figures will still be awesome but I'm sure I'll be making shelf room for lose figures instead of wall space for MOC like I really would have wanted.

I too wish Mattel would've tested out various package designs with us before or during the delays & found a happy medium that was actually influenced by fan input. Although they didn't, it's not the end of the real world. I just hope that their design doesn't become too much of a factor towards poor sales & a majority of fan uninterest.

I don't have anything to actually present on how I would have liked their design to look, (I'll leave that to other talented folks of this community) though I did create an unnofficial poll to help guage opinions somewhat in numbers.
    What you think of He-man & Beastman's packaging poll
    Bad times don't last forever but bad guys do ~ Razor Ramone

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Think of it this way. You put up a poll of say 4 or 5 different card ideas. One showing original artwork from the 80s line. One just like the 80s line in red. One showing Castle Grayskull and other things like Vorgon mentioned. Does anyone honestly think that the MAJORITY of the fans would chose THIS design over any of the other ones mentioned? I highly doubt it. Obviously you can't please everyone, so no sense to try and do so. However, I'm sure a lot of us could have lived with some other sort of options more than the dud they gave us. For a retro line, the others don't seem like a deal breaker to me.
    that would have been awsome if mattel had done that.i mean not only would it have generated fan buzz but it would make fans feel more involved and lured in maybe some casual buyers too.
    i know mattel can not include us in all their decision making but i think they could have included us on packaging.i mean they have he-man.org to put the poll up on and i'm sure jan over at fantastic exclusive wouldnt mind doing it there too i mean it belongs to the four horsemen.what am i talking about hello freakin mattycollector.com i mean the website is just sittin their like a dead cat why not get some traffic flow through the site and advertise the "cardback poll" on he-man.org,fantasticexclusive,bbts,afx,tni,csc and all the other websites us peeps frequent.now que music "my heart will go on","not that track " she works hard for the money,so hard for it honey" oh,never mind the inspirational music.
    seriously though how cool would that have been five or six cardbacks with different designs and have the poll up for a month or so and the fans vote on their faves.now that would have rocked.i know its too late but one can dream i guess.

Here's my opinion with examples.

I stress that over all I like the vibe of the packaging and the colours and the fonts.
    The problem with the packaging is the rendering. It's just not cutting it in my opinion. It's not remembering the roots and atmosphere of what made MOTU cool in the first place.

Here's are some elements and tone I that could've been incorporated.

Firstly here's how I feel medievil stone should be rendered with moss and imperfections:

Here's are some of the elements that are lacking remembering the old packaging art and stock illustrations. These sorts of things would fit well on the bottom front around the characters name.

And then this I was I feel the sky should've been like remembering that MOTU is mostly fantasy with a hint of sci fi:

There are three professionals on these boards that could've done this.
    For the fans, by the fans sorta thing!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Whilst I absolutely love that type of artwork and as much a part of MotU as it is, that type of rendering was used on the vehicles and playsets... the figure packaging didn't really have all that much "traditional painting" besides the rock explosion.
    Last edited by oICEMANo; November 20, 2008 at 09:47am.
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    @Eamon: absolute agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    That type of rendering was used on the vehicles and playsets though... the figure packaging didn't really have all that much "traditional painting" besides the rock explosion.
    So?
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    So?
    So what?
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Was there a reason you said:
    "That type of rendering was used on the vehicles and playsets though... the figure packaging didn't really have all that much "traditional painting" besides the rock explosion."
    www.eamonart.com

Was there a reason you said:
    "That type of rendering was used on the vehicles and playsets though... the figure packaging didn't really have all that much "traditional painting" besides the rock explosion."
    That line is pretty self explanatory. Whats the confusion?
    Im just saying that the figs never had all that painted artwork.
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I know they were!
    Does it matter that the original figures had no paintings?
    The new packaging is all painting.
    www.eamonart.com

The new packaging is all painting.
    And that's one of the things that's wrong with it... in terms of it trying to be a homage to the original that is...

I think old school Frazetta style artwork would rock on the packaging - but not if its trying to pay homage to the classic motU fig packaging.
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

The fact that it's not red like the old cards is not the reason why the new packaging is a little weak.
    It's the rendering style and tone.
    As my posts says, I like the over all design, which is painted.
    I just think it could be better realised.
    Keep the same over all look, lightening an' all but with added elements (skulls, shields etc) and a better rendering style like I suggested.

Mattel changing their outlook on the packaging is unlikely. Mattel seeing ways on improving on this 'new look', which they obviously like, is at least more reasonable.
    www.eamonart.com

Maybe so, I still think they have missed the mark though.
    Plus the missing red and blue is very much a factor I think.
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I agree with you Eamon; i'd prefer the style you suggested over what Mattel chose.

The vintage vehicles and playset art was fantastic and the new packaging could have been based on that.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I don't really think Mattel was focusing a lot on the packaging here, to be honest. Packaging serves one major purpose beyond just holding the figure: making the product stand out on the shelves among the competition. Given that these aren't heading for any shelves anytime soon, I don't think packaging is a major issue in mattel's eyes right now.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman