Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you? Would you? Could you follow Toy Guru?

Will you? Would you? Could you follow Toy Guru?

As I'm sure you're all learning today, Scott has resigned from Mattel effective immediately. No joke! http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/?p=109408

He has been hired by another toy company. We don't know which one yet.

I wonder how many of you/us will follow him? Would you want to do it all again with another property or properties? Would you want to go through all of the good, and some of the bad, with GI JOE? Transformers? Star Wars? Marvel? Sideshow Collectibles? Hot Toys? Prometheus? Godzilla? Doctor Who? Duck Tales?

Would you be more likely to collect a property knowing he was in charge, less likely, or would it have any impact at all?

I don't want this to turn into a TG bashing thread. He's quit. Let's give him a break. But fair's fair, feel free to be honest.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

I'm still going to follow him on Facebook and Twitter . I am an action figure fan , not just MOTU . However MOTU Classics is my favorite current line at the moment .
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mastersofeternia - MASTERS OF ETERNIA

HE-MAN CHARACTER PROFILE CLUB at-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HemanCharacterProfileClub

I would love it if he went to Hasbro to work on Marvel Legends. Maybe bring them back to the days of when Toy Biz was making them.
    Let's get HUNGA THE HARPY before 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    I would love it if he went to Hasbro to work on Marvel Legends. Maybe bring them back to the days of when Toy Biz was making them.
    Oh God yes!! That line needs someone with Scott's zeal. He loves to scrape the bottom of the barrel and I'd love to start getting some C and D listers in Marvel Legends, cause though their cash cows, Cap, Hulk, Stark, Logan, Thor, and Spidey get the dollars, they do nothing for my collection.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

If he would push a 6 inch GI Joe line I most definitely would. I'm interested in where he goes and what brands he'll push. I'm sure the company and fans will benefit from his involvement in one form or another.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Honestly yes, I am more likely to buy stuff from a brand he is involved with.

Having said that though, I am a MOTU fan not a toy fan... so it would need to be a brand I am already invested in.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I hope TG isn't involved with any other brand that I collect now or will collect in the future. He might want to make himself a Transformer or something. Kill off Splinter and make a new toyline based off April and Casey's kid.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I think Scott has done nothing but good for the brand, not many other toy lines have someone who is willing to talk directly to fans. Fan input has definitely helped improve the MOTUC line. That combined with his passion should be a boon for anyone he works for.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Heroic Warrior
    My answer is no but purely because I don't collect anything outside Classics, the occasional Four Horsemen item and Classic Space Lego.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

He's not a writer or an artist. I don't plan to follow his work.

If I ever buy anything he's involved in again, it will be because the product itself interests me.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

I collect brands, so if he is on one of the brands or lines that I collect - then yes.

If he works for a brand that I dont collect, then no.
    Master Sebrian for MOTUC!

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    MOTU is my primary brand by a mile!!! I do casually collect a bit of TMNT/Thudercats, but that is about it. Would I be excited to hear that Scott is taking over TMNT Classics? Sure.

I have alot of respect for him and what he has done for the line!! I DO have some minor concerns about the future of MOTU goodies without Scott at the helm. It sounds like 2015 is still a lock. THANK GOD!!!!!

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Will you? Would you? Could you follow Toy Guru?

Would you be more likely to collect a property knowing he was in charge, less likely, or would it have any impact at all?

I don't want this to turn into a TG bashing thread. He's quit. Let's give him a break. But fair's fair, feel free to be honest.
    I follow toy news regularly. Several sites. I lurk in some forms. Post in a few. I can hardly name a any brand managers and most I can, I have no clue what they are up to these days. Same is true for marketing managers, since that was his actual title last I herd.

If I like a brand, I'll follow it.
    If I like a toy and can afford to I will buy it.
    That's all this has ever really been about, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Kill off Splinter and make a new toyline based off April and Casey's kid.
    What? Like TMNT: Fast Forward without the TMNT?
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; October 18, 2014 at 10:38am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

I don't really follow much outside of MOTU, so it would all depend on whatever he'll be working on.
    Here's how to end the line:
    2015 200x Mini-Sub: Evilseed, Calix, Prahvus, Horde Wraith, Miro, Veena, Hawke

2016 line: LordMasque, Vultak, Granita, Despara, Dylamug, Hunga, General Sunder,Tuskador, Crita, Lodar, Quakke, Darius

Quarterly items: Sagitar, Stridor, Night Stalker

Could I? Nope. Will I? Nope. Would I? Still Nope.

Only if he ends up on Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Only if he ends up on Star Wars.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that this is where he might be headed...
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Follow? No. I'm not ging to start collecting something he's on.

I'd be thrilled though if he worked on something I did collect or a property I liked. He did an excellent job IMO on MOTUC.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    It wouldn't really have an impact on me because....

Quote Originally Posted by yodafreakmaster View Post
    MOTU is my primary brand by a mile!!!
    I feel the same way as YFM, Masters of the Universe is my favorite.

And Classics for me is tops, so it's going to be hard for me to see any other property or line, for that matter, as better. Also space is an issue for me.

I think it is important to understand that any of MOTUCs shortfalls are not TGs fault 100%. He had a whole division behind him which may have contributed to the mistakes just as much as him.

No chance !

Even Scott will never do something like MOTUC again....

I can only think that the reason someone would headhunt Scott specifically is that they would want to do something like MOTUC for a different brand. Adult collector focused, 6" online only, 80s revival brand. I can't really think of anyone that has the specific experience and more importantly success that he has. The question is, which brand? Thundercats maybe? GI Joe? TMNT? Maybe they want to move Black Series over to having a bigger online presence? Who knows, it may never even come into fruition.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

I will happily 'follow' TOY GURU if he ends up working on....

-THUNDERCATS
    -DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
    -BLACKSTAR
    -BRAVE STARR
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

No impact. I only collect MOTU anyway.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    No, I follow toy properties, not toy managers.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!