Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Mermista Discussion Thread

Heroic Warrior
    If they give MOTUC Mermista 2 detachable legs and waist parts (1 human, 1 fish tail), which is probably the way they'll choose, they REALLY need to pay attention to THIS important detail : the lower part MUST attach properly to the torso, and not be loose like my poor King Hssss waist attachment !

I think Mermista would be a cool "surprise character" to reveal, because she clearly seems to be quite a challenge.

As of now (September 10th 2011), she has not been trademarked, though.

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Well, let's see. She needs a new Hsss-style lower torso and pelvis no matter what to allow for the switching. She'll probably get new boots no matter what. The hands, upper arms & upper torso are "human" and can be reused from prior figures like BPSR.

So, basically the ONLY difference we're talking about are her thighs, which - since they'd be the same colour as the lower torso and lower legs and would be tooled at the same time - should be able to be included in the same mould, keeping costs down, yes?

But she isn't, and that's something that should be accentuated, albeit without compromising the fact she's meant to be beautiful.

???
    http://sf-waterfront.com/wp-content/uploads/seaweed.png
    Okay, now you're just makin' stuff up!

Her hair and body are, uh, not a million miles away from those colours you so want on Frosta! [The contrast absent on toy-Frosta comes from the dark green, before you pick me up on that - toy-Frosta's trying to contrast pale blue with white! ]

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...rmistaLegs.jpg
    I like the Filmation Mermista's lower body(no boots), but he 4H could add her legs some scales texture and, like in Filmation, some algae decorations or attachments (see Mermista's heels).

Princess of the 80's Princess_Adora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    like in Filmation, some algae decorations or attachments (see Mermista's heels).

That would be great!
    "My whole life has changed because of this sword!" ~Adora

To weigh in on this dicussion, I totally feel that Mermista will get the King Hiss treatment of a fish tail bottom and legs. I feel she should get the legs she had in the cartoon as it helps to differeniate her species from humans when she is walking around. I like the sea shell bra she has, that should stick around and the necklace is a great accessory. I dont know how the sea shell backpack will play out, not sure of what its purpose is going to be. She should defiently come with her sheild and a mighty weapon from her kingdom of Salineas, like the "Harpon of Salineas". I dont think the should do a trident again, its too predicitably. Anyone else wanna weigh in on what accessory she should come with.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    I like the Filmation Mermista's lower body(no boots), but he 4H could add her legs some scales texture and, like in Filmation, some algae decorations or attachments (see Mermista's heels).
    Eh? That's her FIN (split in two when her tail splits) on her heels, nothing algal!

it just occured to me while reading in the and Q&A thread....

What if Mermista doesn't get a removable torso? What if her tail is just a long cover ala Queen Marlena's dress with tabs on the back? I guess that would make her more like the vintage toy, sort of...(same concept, different mechanics)

There would be details to work out like what would her leg position need to be, would her feet need to be posed a certain way when putting the tail on, etc...

Just a thought
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    it just occured to me while reading in the and Q&A thread....

What if Mermista doesn't get a removable torso? What if her tail is just a long cover ala Queen Marlena's dress with tabs on the back? I guess that would make her more like the vintage toy, sort of...(same concept, different mechanics)

There would be details to work out like what would her leg position need to be, would her feet need to be posed a certain way when putting the tail on, etc...

Just a thought
    Honestly? I would hate that. I loved the vintage toy, but the feet shape in the tail ruined it for me (and the thin tail). Saddest looking mermaid ever!

I NEED a proper mermaid lower half (with removable toy belt!). If they have to go cheap and do human legs OR mermaid tail...definitely mermaid tail for me! However, since they can do TWO torsos for King Hiss, two lower halves for Mermista shouldn't be a problem. ESPECIALLY because there is potential re-use for the lower female torso (Tallstar with an actual extending waist). Extendar will probably re-use King Hiss' upper torso.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I'm going crazy waiting to see Mermista

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Detachable at the waist perhaps? (With a tail attachment)
    as has already been stated, of course like Hiss. Detachable waist. I for one am excited to see how her legs will look. I'm hoping for little fins on her calves like Monster High's Lagoona Blue. I definately hope that it isnt a "dress up" piece, even though I think Marlena looks great. If the 4H can sculpt it to look good, great. If nothing else, I kinda want that tail articulated and that dress just isnt going to allow that. Give me seperate pieces ala Hisss.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    She would probably look good in one of the "flying stands" that Mattel has for sale on Mattycollector.

I have Marzo, Stratos, and Hordak all "flying" in one.

With Mermista, it would just be a cool way to display her without having to have the legs on the whole time.
    That's actually a really good idea. For flying characters, I have them in Whippy Superpose stands. Stratos & Buzz Off only so far.

But I want a reason to buy the Mattel stands, I just dont like them. However I want to support them and this is a perfect way.

Because I also want to display Mermista as a mermaid, though of course I'll have fun playing with the legs. May even end up liking her better with legs.

But the Mattel Flight Stands will be a cool way to display her, since I dont want her to look like she's flying, and they allow a character to only be so high.

Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    I'd like to see her come with some sort of stool that she can sit on. Perhaps the seat part could just be an attachment to the top of a flight-stand.
    I like that idea too. If they included a wave shaped stool accessory, that'd be just fine as well, if not preferable. But I'd want it to display her so that she is more or less head high with all the other characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Now that Filmation rights are on the table, for Mermista's legs and tail, which direction do you think they'll take with her? Will she have a silver belt around her waist as a mermaid, or will it be a seamless tail that extends to underneath her bust like Filmation?

Will she have the bathing suit cut bottoms and unique cut boots like the action figure, or will she have the seamless pants with the "Aquaman" fins on the back of her lower legs? Which do you prefer? I don't know which one I like better at this point.
    As I think they'll use the Hiss idea for swapping, they'll do it at the waist, neccessitating that it at least doesnt extend to her bust. I can imagine how her tail could be soft plastic and have a piece that extends up and to just under her bust, but I think they wont do that.

Doesnt mean she'll have a Filmation look mind you (though I of course am fine if it does) just that the "Fish" will stop at the waist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    The more I think about it, I kinda want the belt to be removable, like Fisto's belt or the belt with Adora & Queen Marlena. That way, those who want the action figure belt look can werq that look, and those who want it to look like the seamless Filmation fish tail can be happy too. If only they'd be wise enough to implement that solution...

So are most people hoping for the Filmation blue legs with the fins on the back of the lower legs?
    Yes to fins. Just looks good. Just 'cause she has legs, doesnt mean she should lose the fishy look.

I do think the belt should be removeable, unless it wont stay in place on the fish tail, if they have a belt at all. I kinda hope her fish tail half has good wide womanly hips. That'd make sure the belt stays on.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    Having the legs inside the tail makes the tail look to big and bulky like the vintage toy. What I'd really love to see is the tail be made like the SDCC Swamp Thing with a flexible skin over the articulation.

On the belt I agree with Kevenn it should be removable.
    I think that seamless articulation wrapped in a smooth rubbery skin would be just fine, like the Swamp Thing. However I'm just happy to have her have plastic tail with articulation cuts, because I just dont see that soft rubber Swamp thing lasting well.

Here's the thing as I see it - her legs should look like her fin since they're formed from her fin. The Filmation design achieves that through consistency of colour and the back of her legs staying finned (I actually read her as naked from the waist down throughout the She-Ra cartoon, in human as well as mermaid form, and she doesn't have human genitalia since she's a mermaid who only pretends to be human). The toy design... doesn't. It's a woman in boots, which is considerably less interesting - she should be just as inhuman as the likes of Buzz-Off or Clawful, yet beautiful with it.
    Ok, that is some awesome logic. About the "female"-ness of Mermista, in a human context. I like it. Makes sense. Of course a fish can be female as well, so why cant "those bits" change like the leg bits?

But awesome logic.
    ----\\

Oh, and boy I had alot to say about this character. Suprises me a bit.
    Last edited by baronterror; October 19, 2011 at 08:37pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Mermista by ~natebaertsch on deviantART

I hope they stay asymmetrical with the armor design like the toy vs. the symmetrical look of the sea shells like the style guide and toon.

Really hope she's sooner rather than later too.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Great picture, though she's wearing a lot of clothes for a Mermaid, even her tail doesn't look organic...
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Great picture, though she's wearing a lot of clothes for a Mermaid, even her tail doesn't look organic...
    Not saying she should look like my drawing. Just pointing out the asymmetrical design.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Not saying she should look like my drawing. Just pointing out the asymmetrical design.
    I see what you're saying but I must admit that Mermista picture you did has always been one of my favorite pieces or art that you've shared with us.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Not saying she should look like my drawing.
    It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if she did! I remember back when I first saw your Mermista I thought it was simply amazing.

Mermista is my most wanted figure at this point, so I think I'll be happy just to get her. Personally my only wish is that she'll come with non-flesh tone legs, although I know some people do actually want her that way.

I know a lot of you are really loyal to the original toy accessories, but I always thought it would be cool if she came with the Power Pearl. Am I the only one?

Thanks guys.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Here's the thing as I see it - her legs should look like her fin since they're formed from her fin. The Filmation design achieves that through consistency of colour and the back of her legs staying finned (I actually read her as naked from the waist down throughout the She-Ra cartoon, in human as well as mermaid form, and she doesn't have human genitalia since she's a mermaid who only pretends to be human). The toy design... doesn't. It's a woman in boots, which is considerably less interesting - she should be just as inhuman as the likes of Buzz-Off or Clawful, yet beautiful with it.
    Ok, that is some awesome logic. About the "female"-ness of Mermista, in a human context. I like it. Makes sense. Of course a fish can be female as well, so why cant "those bits" change like the leg bits?
    They don't need to - dolphin (and I was thinking more along the lines of sea-borne mammals like whales & dolphins than fish!) genitalia would work fine for going to the toilet/etc on land. Whereas the whole point of reforming the fin into legs is that you can't walk on the land with a fin!

(They're also fairly subtle when... not in use..., which would help the censors! - http://www.magicaldolphin.com/en/behaviour.htm )

MERMISTA MERMISTA MERMISTA

We MUST GATHER and STORM THE DOORS OF MATTEL!!!

I remember seeing her in the store and somehow my mother wouldn't get her...but I got Angella instead...I never had a Mermista (I just won one on e-bay though!!!!!) BUT I want a Mermista Classics figure.

YES she should have a detacable tail. To cut down on costs I would totally be willing to go with one the waist articulation and a pelvic articulation (like shadow weaver) atleast she could sit in tail form. Articulation of the fins would be super cool too!!

Her human legs should be filmation feet (with fin heels) but I do think she would need some kind of small (but well done additions) solid blue legs and body suit would be a bit boring IMO.

WE NEED THIS FIGURE!!!

This is a POP figure that I feel pretty confident we will see in Classics eventually.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

I do think it would be more cost effective if they reused the basic design of the bottom buck of Shadow Weaver with just a few tweaks to the bottom to turn the flowy dress edges into the fins of the tail. The bottom has a nice shape for the curvy hips.

As for weapons, I Think the shell could be tweaked into a shield for her and give her someone sort of ancient looking sword (like it was found in a shipwreck), or give her a shell inspired weapon as if it was fashioned by her people.

Mermista is one of my most anticipated figures, I just reallllly hope she's done right!
    Last edited by Princess_Adora; November 16, 2011 at 08:42am.

I think it would be cool if she came with the water crystal from the xmas special as an accessory.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

She can come with nothing as far as I am concerned. Obviously something would be better than nothing.

What about a REALLY COOL Etheria fish pet/companion!?!?

She should come with a shell...I like the turning it into a shield though!

The shell/shield idea could work! Maybe it could work as a type of shoulder guard or armor? I would really love her to come with a sword with some cool sea-life inspired detailing on the hilt.

I'm thinking she should have an open hand for swimming poses too.

Didn't she orginally come with a shell water sprayer and a shield. Maybe a shell type of gun or something and the gem she's always holding would be nice too
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post

I'm thinking she should have an open hand for swimming poses too.

This I completely agree with

The original mermista came with the shell you filled with water plugged into her back and could shoot water out of a tiny hole in her necklace.

I love the shell/shield...

But the more I think of it I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a fish or weird etheria pet!!

Now that there is a break for the Cyber Monday sale...

MERMISTA.MERMISTA.MERMISTA.MERMISTA.MERMISTA.MERMI STA.MERMISAT

I feel better about it!

A 4HORSEMEN MERMAID...THINK ABOUT...IT WOULD BE SWEET!

Bump! Bump! Bump!
    Last edited by Stratos*Major; November 28, 2011 at 10:42pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost