Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: 4Kids TV Gets Axed in December

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,467

    4Kids TV Gets Axed in December

    looks like another 'over the air' outlet for animation is about to bite the dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anime News Network
    In its financial statement for the third quarter of 2008 which ran from July 1 to September 30, 4Kids Entertainment has revealed on Monday that it will end its programming on the Fox Network at the end of this year. The current seventh season of 4Kids TV's Saturday morning block on Fox includes episodes of Kirby: Right Back At Ya! and Sonic X. Fox had originally scheduled the block to run through September of next year. To back out of the contract, 4Kids had to settle with Fox for an undisclosed amount.

    The relationship between 4Kids and Fox started in 2002, when the block launched under the name FoxBox. The block has aired numerous anime, including One Piece, Shaman King, and Tokyo Mew Mew. Last year, 4Kids signed a similar agreement with The CW Networkto run original and licensed cartoons over a five-hour Saturday morning block and sell ads to be aired during that time. According to 4Kids CEO Alfred E. Kahn, the dissolution of the Fox contract will allow 4Kids "to focus resources" on its CW programming going into 2009.

    4Kids' quarterly results included an increase in net revenues to US$17.8 million, compared to US$12.2 million over the same term last year. About US$7.3 million of the new revenue came from sales of the Chaotic trading card game. However, 4Kids still experienced a net loss of US$5.3 million (compared to US$4.2 million last year).

    For the year to date, net revenues were US$49.4 million, up from US$39.1 million, but net losses have also increased. In the first nine months of 2007, 4Kids lost US$6.6 million; this year, that figure was up to US$17.2 million. Kahn attributed this to "the increase in selling, general, and administrative expenses and cost of goods sold in the Trading Card and Game Distribution Segment of our business, coupled with decreased licensing and broadcast revenues." However, he said he was confident that in the last quarter of the year, the company will return to profitability, and that the outlook for 2009 will be positive as sales and licensing revenue related to Chaotic, Dinosaur King, and other 4Kids series continue to increase. 4Kids also renegotiated the terms of "representation agreement" for the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, and now holds the licensing, broadcast, and merchandise rights to it through 2015.
    Not that i was ever a fan of 4Kids, their 'toyetic' programs (except for 'TMNT') or their business practices, but this is just one more nail in the coffin for animation on broadcast TV. I feel sorry for kids who don't have cable. (though that isn't saying much.) I'd hate to see the generation of kids who grew up watching infomercials, local news, tabloid shows, sitcoms, court shows, and trashy talk shows. Completely devoid of any imagination what so ever.

  2. #2
    Indie Toy Making Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Near Cyclone Nation (Iowa)
    Posts
    22,904
    I figured this was coming, when 4Kids started moving programming to CW I knew it was only a matter of time.

    But its not really a loss, the last 2 years their programming has been lackluster
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

    Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    339
    I've still been enjoying alot of 4Kids shows. Too bad 4Kids block is going, but least have CW4Kids.

  4. #4
    "I like Santa!" Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    12,890
    In a way it is sad, but not surprising.

    If anything, I'm actually more surprised that 4kids TV and the CW4kids co-existed for as long as they have. I figured once 4kids merged with Kids WB to make the CW4Kids, it would have just all become one network at that time.

    This only seems like a logical transition, despite the disapointment that may go along with it.
    ____________________________________________

  5. #5
    Just a City Boy, Born... He-Ant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    College Park, GA, USA
    Posts
    4,335
    For some odd reason, CW4K!DS comes on my CW affiliate on Sundays, rather than on Saturdays. Anyway, sorry to see it go away.

    Be well,
    He-Ant... the Most Powerful Skeletor Fan in the Universe

  6. #6
    Dino Charged TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    MastersCast.com
    Posts
    24,265
    Well, if the kid doesn't have cable, they can always watch some toons during the ABC Kids block Saturday mornings that airs programming from the Disney Channel.

    I do not personally know anyone who does not have cable or sat.

  7. #7
    Formerly thew39 thew40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    3,064
    So what happens to all the shows that are still on-going (Biker Mice from Mars is the only one I care about)?

    ~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

    WANTED: Snake Mountain stands, Wind Raider, and the Griffen

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,467
    Maybe i should start an internet series criticizing the colossal stupidity of the current animation industry. I think I'll call it, 'The Angry Cartoon Nerd!"

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior 8-Bit Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    1,206
    This might actually be a good thing. I always thought there was something wrong with 4Kids running not one but TWO major network animation blocks. Isn't that basically a monopoly? Not to mention they'd be competing with themselves (which is probably why they're ditching FoxBox).

    There can only be two outcomes: Either Fox will fill that block up with like, news programs and reruns of Sitcoms or something, or some other animation firms will kick in to fill the void and bring some creativity to the table. Either is likely and neither would necessarily be worse than before.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Well, if the kid doesn't have cable, they can always watch some toons during the ABC Kids block Saturday mornings that airs programming from the Disney Channel.

    I do not personally know anyone who does not have cable or sat.
    So with more niche programing moving to cable, and new shows constantly being canceled, do we really need broadcast television anymore? I guess so if you like reality programming, infomercials, non stop local news and formulaic shows. Broadcast TV needs to enter the 21st century to keep up with the audiences, or it'll just become a sea of mediocrity.

    Also, since the current 'Turtles' series has just as many episodes as the original series, don't you think it should be airing 5 times a week on some cable network? (Or, god forbid, a weekday afternoon slot in broadcast TV?) After all, the fact that this series lasted as long as it did is quite an accomplishment in today's shrinking animation market. Unfortunately, 4Kids is run by idiots, (who can't read) and they won't be acknowledging that anytime soon.
    Last edited by mbaker; November 13, 2008 at 08:52am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior 8-Bit Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    1,206
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    Also, since the current 'Turtles' series has just as many episodes as the original series, don't you think it should be airing 5 times a week on some cable network? (Or, god forbid, a weekday afternoon slot in broadcast TV?) After all, the fact that this series lasted as long as it did is quite an accomplishment in today's shrinking animation market. Unfortunately, 4Kids is run by idiots, (who can't read) and they won't be acknowledging that anytime soon.
    Is that really 4Kids decision? Seems to me it would be the networks that decides what runs when.

  12. #12
    Dino Charged TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    MastersCast.com
    Posts
    24,265
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    So with more niche programing moving to cable, and new shows constantly being canceled, do we really need broadcast television anymore? I guess so if you like reality programming, infomercials, non stop local news and formulaic shows. Broadcast TV needs to enter the 21st century to keep up with the audiences, or it'll just become a sea of mediocrity.
    The local news is obviously a plus for some people. I'd say there is more reality television on cable overall though than broadcast networks. I like getting the local weather during the 5 minute break that my local news gets during Good Morning America.

    I think broadcast television can survive if they get edgier programming. Cable can do it, broadcast can't. Screw the Parent's Television Council, lift regulations, and make parents do the parenting to stop kids from watching what they deem inappropriate. How dare that evil CW schedule the inappropriate Gossip Girl during the family hour!? Wake up and turn your child's tv off negligent parent!

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    The local news is obviously a plus for some people. I'd say there is more reality television on cable overall though than broadcast networks. I like getting the local weather during the 5 minute break that my local news gets during Good Morning America.
    It would help if said newscasts actually reported the stuff that talk radio (104.7) delivers instead of worthless fluff, and biased reporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I think broadcast television can survive if they get edgier programming. Cable can do it, broadcast can't. Screw the Parent's Television Council, lift regulations, and make parents do the parenting to stop kids from watching what they deem inappropriate. How dare that evil CW schedule the inappropriate Gossip Girl during the family hour!? Wake up and turn your child's tv off negligent parent!
    While parents should do their job to monitor what their kids watch, that's no excuse to let 'Gossip Girl' off the hook.

  14. #14
    Dino Charged TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    MastersCast.com
    Posts
    24,265
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    It would help if said newscasts actually reported the stuff that talk radio (104.7) delivers instead of worthless fluff, and biased reporting.
    I only trust Kelly Fry and Andrew Stocky in the morning. WTAE for the win!

    While parents should do their job to monitor what their kids watch, that's no excuse to let 'Gossip Girl' off the hook.
    Trashy television can be fun I use it as an example as the PTC complains that it is on at 8pm and marketed towards tweens and teens or such. PTC needs to educate parents on how to use the Vchip or how to get rid of their television sets rather than complain about the actual programming that is getting steady ratings just because they (PTC) disagrees with the show's content being aired at 8pm.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I only trust Kelly Fry and Andrew Stocky in the morning. WTAE for the win!
    Sorry, but Jim Quinn is my media hero, and in a perfect world, More people would listen to his show. Quinn for the win, baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Trashy television can be fun I use it as an example as the PTC complains that it is on at 8pm and marketed towards tweens and teens or such. PTC needs to educate parents on how to use the Vchip or how to get rid of their television sets rather than complain about the actual programming that is getting steady ratings just because they (PTC) disagrees with the show's content being aired at 8pm.
    While i kinda agree with you on parental groups, some of them also attacked cartoons. As a cartoonist, i find some of these groups to be a thorn on my side, and i'm also trying to show 'Gossip Girl' viewers that cartoons are a better alternative.

  16. #16
    Dino Charged TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    MastersCast.com
    Posts
    24,265
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    While i kinda agree with you on parental groups, some of them also attacked cartoons. As a cartoonist, i find some of these groups to be a thorn on my side, and i'm also trying to show 'Gossip Girl' viewers that cartoons are a better alternative.
    The problem cartoons will always have is they are seen as something only for kids. Young kids. Now, your "Family Guy" type cartoons are accepted among adults because of their content levels, but in my opinion, all television shows (cartoons, sitcoms, dramas, tween programming, reality, etc.) can appeal to more than just the main demographic they are targeted at. People just need to give the said programming a chance. Will they? The world may never know.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    The problem cartoons will always have is they are seen as something only for kids. Young kids. Now, your "Family Guy" type cartoons are accepted among adults because of their content levels, but in my opinion, all television shows (cartoons, sitcoms, dramas, tween programming, reality, etc.) can appeal to more than just the main demographic they are targeted at. People just need to give the said programming a chance. Will they? The world may never know.
    If network execs would think outside of their 'demographics' mentality, then more programs would probably reach more people beyond their intended audience, and maybe animation wouldn't be pigeon holed as 'strictly for kids'.

  18. #18
    Dino Charged TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    MastersCast.com
    Posts
    24,265
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    If network execs would think outside of their 'demographics' mentality, then more programs would probably reach more people beyond their intended audience, and maybe animation wouldn't be pigeon holed as 'strictly for kids'.
    Well, as it stands now, certain demos get you more $$$ from advertisers if you are hitting your marks. Money talks

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Well, as it stands now, certain demos get you more $$$ from advertisers if you are hitting your marks. Money talks
    And Christmas Poo walks. I guess some companies don't want the extra money, huh?

  20. #20
    Dino Charged TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    MastersCast.com
    Posts
    24,265
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    And Christmas Poo walks. I guess some companies don't want the extra money, huh?
    They don't want to lose more money than they already are.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Hobby One Kenobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Methuen, MA
    Posts
    1,642
    I was wondering why CW4Kids got all the good shows while 4Kids got all the garbage. Hopefully they fill the Saturday block with something good.
    www.ioffer.com

    Home of many hard to find classic 80's toons, even though they might be bootlegs.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,467
    The only shows that interest me on CW4Kids are Spidey, and, to some extent, The Turtles. 4Kids TV does have the 'Biker Mice' revamp, though i wonder if it's any good.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Hobby One Kenobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Methuen, MA
    Posts
    1,642
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    4Kids TV does have the 'Biker Mice' revamp, though i wonder if it's any good.
    As much as I disliked the original BMFM the revamp is actually pretty good.
    www.ioffer.com

    Home of many hard to find classic 80's toons, even though they might be bootlegs.

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,467
    Quote Originally Posted by thew40 View Post
    So what happens to all the shows that are still on-going?
    Coming up next, 'Ancorfriends', followed by 'Lesko's Playhouse'

  25. #25
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,408
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaker View Post
    Coming up next, 'Ancorfriends', followed by 'Lesko's Playhouse'

    You forgot "Ronco Room."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •