Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Trouble in Little China.

Quote Originally Posted by KidTDragon View Post
    I wanted to see this movie for the longest time, and I finally got to last year. What a disappointment. Maybe it's something you have to see as a kid to appreciate, cuz I thought it stunk. And why the hell was Kurt Russell talking like John Wayne the whole time? That got annoying real quick.
    Agreed. I was forced to watch this once and thought it was dull. Doing math problems would have been more fun.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I'm a big John Carpenter fan so yeah I own it. I love the closing scene with the monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Agreed. I was forced to watch this once and thought it was dull. Doing math problems would have been more fun.
    maybe the reason you don't like it is that you were forced to watch it. If I'm forced to do something I'm generally not going to be happy about it.

Bang your head!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf-manj View Post
    maybe the reason you don't like it is that you were forced to watch it. If I'm forced to do something I'm generally not going to be happy about it.
    It's not really a movie most girls sit through. My friend who intorduced me to BTILC watched it with a few of his girls and they found it to be dumb. I sat my girl friend down for a viewing twice. Both times we got through the opening credits and it was either "Im tired" or "is this supposed to be funny?"
    I know only one girl who enjoys this movie...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

This is one of my favorite popcorn films- it's so zany and over the top in all aspects and is just a lot of fun. All of the characters are great- and it combines all of the genres that I loved as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf-manj View Post
    they could always do a sequel. I remember hearing they were thinking about it at one point.
    A sequel could be great, but I'd rather see the franchaise rebooted first. I wonder who could handle it the best?

If they do a reboot, my vote to play ol' Jack Burton goes to Josh Holloway (Sawyer) from LOST.

Heroic Warrior
    Anyone else thought Thunder looked like a Garbage Pail Kid when inflating?

This movie is fantastic! I bought a copy last week for 5$ at walmart! hahaha
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

Big Trouble in Little China questions

1- "What the hell!"

Is that something Jack keeps saying throughout the movie? I'm not English, so I don't know. What does that mean?
    In the Italian dubbing, the line was turned into: "Stop it now".
    Isn't the word "HELL" very much used by almost everyone in the movie? LOL. I know the other character in the movie that says that line is the Uncle: "What the hell is Gracie Law doing here".

2- During the "big battle", I remember that Jack punches the Chinese Wildman or maybe just pushes him back and he falls on the ground... am I wrong about this? Or maybe was it Gracie to do so?

3- In the Italian dubbed version, when Jack is driving the PCE truck, trying to rescue Miao Yin along with Wang, someone drives across his path and he yells: "********!" (In Italian). Is that an added dialogue from the Italian dubbers?

4- Another extra-dialogue from the Italian dubbing should be this: After Lo Pan does his first speech to Jack (both on the wheelchairs, LOL), Jack yells: "Hey come here, stop that spider" (meant as the CAR, not the insect - it's a way to joke upon his wheelchair). Any confirmation?

Thank you!
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    1) What the hell is a common expression here in the States. It's a catch all phrase for a confusing situation or when you are surprised by something and don't understand it. Hell is the place where Satan (Lucifer), his demons and the damned dwell or in other words any Wal-Mart.

2) Actually Gracie kicks (or knees) the Chinese Wildman in the groin from behind and Jack just pushes him over as they get into the elevator.

3) It must be. Whenever the car cuts off Jack, Jack just blows the truck horn and yells, "Oh, come on! What the hell?" To my recollection the driver of the car doesn't say anything.

4) Are you talking about the part where Jack and Wang are in wheelchairs in the dungeon room or when they are in Lo Pan's chamber room and Lo Pan gets angry at Jack's and Wang's friends at the front desk? But Jack just says "Hey get back here." Whereby Wang asks "Where is Miao Yin?" And Lo Pan answers "Safe. Safer with me than anyplace on Earth."
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    1- "What the hell!"

2- During the "big battle", I remember that Jack punches the Chinese Wildman or maybe just pushes him back and he falls on the ground... am I wrong about this? Or maybe was it Gracie to do so?

3- In the Italian dubbed version, when Jack is driving the PCE truck, trying to rescue Miao Yin along with Wang, someone drives across his path and he yells: "********!" (In Italian). Is that an added dialogue from the Italian dubbers?

4- Another extra-dialogue from the Italian dubbing should be this: After Lo Pan does his first speech to Jack (both on the wheelchairs, LOL), Jack yells: "Hey come here, stop that spider" (meant as the CAR, not the insect - it's a way to joke upon his wheelchair). Any confirmation?

Thank you!

1 - "What the hell?" is kind of an exclamation of surprise or anger. It means something along the lines of there was "not a chance in Hell" that this thing would possibly happen, and yet it just did. I don't remember all the dialogue from the movie, but I would not be surprised if others did not say it too. It's regarded as somewhat profane - a character who was trying not to curse would say "What the heck" instead.

2 - I'm not really sure what Jack supposedly did to the Chinese Wildman, but it was a 1980s B-grade movie. The special effects budget was not that large, and they spent a lot of it on Lo Pan and the Three Storms. Not too much left over for the fight scenes.

3 - I am not sure what word the censor took out of your post, and I don't remember the exact curse word that Jack uses in this scene, but I don't doubt that he does say something rather profane when this happens, given his character.

4 - I also can't remember exactly what Jack says to Lo Pan in that scene. Other than he is kind of confused that Lo Pan is a frail old man, and not the demon that he saw before. Something like "Come back here", when Lo Pan is rolling away, though as best I recall.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    1) What the hell is a common expression here in the States. It's a catch all phrase for a confusing situation or when you are surprised by something and don't understand it. Hell is the place where Satan (Lucifer), his demons and the damned dwell or in other words any Wal-Mart.

4) But Jack just says "Hey get back here."
    1- Yeah, but what's the right meaning for Jack before he would kill Lo Pan? "What a mess"?
    It seems Jack always says that during the movie... only the Uncle says that other than him.

2- Yeah, that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    3 - I am not sure what word the censor took out of your post
    "You ********!"
    Last edited by Vanquest; February 19, 2010 at 02:40pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    1- Yeah, but what's the right meaning for Jack before he would kill Lo Pan? "What a mess"?
    It seems Jack always says that during the movie... only the Uncle says that other than him.
    Ah, well the phrase can be used to mean a lot of things but in that scene where Jack is talking to Thunder and Wang is there, Jack ends his speech with "You know what Jack Burton says at a time like that?" Thunder: "Who?" Jack: "Jack Burton. Me! Old Jack always says...what the hell." In that context "what the hell" means "whatever" or "it doesn't matter". It means you don't care what happens.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    In that context "what the hell" means "whatever" or "it doesn't matter". It means you don't care what happens.
    Hahahahah this sounds fantastic.
    Jack is the ultimate adventure hero.

Hahahahah this sounds fantastic.
    Jack is the ultimate adventure hero.
    Yup, Big Trouble in Little China was one my favorite movies as a kid (and even now as an adult). I used to watch it every time it came on cable during the 80's. Lightning was my favorite character in the movie and was one of the reasons in me starting my studies in the Dark Side of the Force as well as martial arts. Well, him and Paco the crazy muay Thai boxer from Bloodsport (another favorite film of the 80's). Now, I can shoot lightning out of my hands with the best of them.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    It is totally one of the best films ever made. Always on my top ten firmly at #2.
    I had a girlfriend who I tried watching it with once who was so uninterested in it that she told me not to pause the movie when she went to the bathroom and constantly answered her cell during the movie. Normally I'm not a DVD bully, but c'mon who doesn't love Jack Burton?!?!?! What the Hell? Indeed!
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    4 - I also can't remember exactly what Jack says to Lo Pan in that scene. Other than he is kind of confused that Lo Pan is a frail old man, and not the demon that he saw before. Something like "Come back here", when Lo Pan is rolling away, though as best I recall.
    Yeah, as Vanquest was saying the final line by Jack in that scene is quite different.
    It can probably translate to something like "Hit the brakes on that cabriolet!" referring to Lo Pan wheelchair.
    I have to admit I find some of the lines even funnier in Italian.
    Same for Ghostbusters: when I whatch it in Englihs, I find myself at finding some lines less funny than the translation we got.
    That's not the rule, but on these 2 movies the translators and dubbers did an awesome job in Italian.
    On the other hand, some stuff is totally lost
    "It's Miller time" was completely removed and I had to have Val explaining to me what that was about.

Well, I think the Italian dubbing went too far and changed a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    It is totally one of the best films ever made. Always on my top ten firmly at #2.
    I had a girlfriend who I tried watching it with once who was so uninterested in it that she told me not to pause the movie when she went to the bathroom and constantly answered her cell during the movie. Normally I'm not a DVD bully, but c'mon who doesn't love Jack Burton?!?!?! What the Hell? Indeed!
    It must be a girl thing. Mrs. SOB can't stand the movie either while it's in my top favs as well.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Bang your head!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    It must be a girl thing. Mrs. SOB can't stand the movie either while it's in my top favs as well.
    Ditto. My friend who introduced me to the movie has watched it with previous girls and none have been able to sit through it. The one he is dating now said it's one of her favorites when they first went out.
    I watched the opening credits with my ex last year and turned it off after she said "is this supposed to be funny". Sorry honey, but movies that are not labeled as comedys that don't star Adam Sandler can be funny too...

My wife loved this film. That's why I asked her to marry me.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

JACK BURTON is an X-MAN !!!

This is mine. Have fun!

-----------------> BIG TROUBLE <----------------------------

Character created by John Carpenter and Kurt Russell.
    First Appearance: UNCANNY X-MEN #207 (July 1986).
    Adapted by Tiziano Caliendo.

From the MacTaggert Mutant Archive - File 6795:

Subject: BIG TROUBLE.
    Alias: HENRY SWANSON.
    Previous Job: TRUCK DRIVER ('The Pork-Chop Express').
    Classification: MUTANT.
    Affilation: X-MEN.
    Joined the team in: UNCANNY X-MEN #217 (May 1987).
    Physical features: WILD, MESSED-UP ELVIS-LIKE HAIR; MUSCULAR BODY.
    Behaviour: PERENNIAL JOHN WAYNE IMPERSONATION; WISECRACKING; OLD-FASHIONED CONCEPTION OF SOCIAL VALUES.
    Special abilities: DRIVING; ELEMENTARY DISGUISEMENT.
    Costume or battle clothes: JAPANESE SHOGUN T-SHIRT; JEANS; BROWN BOOTS FEATURING HIDDEN ARRANGEMENT FOR KNIFE.
    Weapons and equipment: MIDDLE-SIZED KNIFE; MODIFIED TECH-9; METAL WRIST CLOCK.
    Regular clothes as civilian: HARLEY DAVIDSON CAP; SUNGLASSES; PONCHO SLEEVE; VANILLA COAT; SHOULDER BELT.
    Favourite team-up: STORM; PSYLOCKE; COLOSSUS; BEAST.
    Arch-enemy: DAVID LO PAN ('The Vision')
    One-liner(s): "What the hell" ; "It's all in the reflexes".

Mutant powers:

(DUMB LUCK) Big Trouble can uncounsciously generate a special energetic aura able to "warp" the probability lines running through the fabric of the reality which surround him, to the point each minimum negative effort he does can instantly translate into the maximum positive result. The chance warping also acts as a kind of protection, since simple acts as running or being firmly on a place work as feedback "answers" to either types of external attack (bullets; weapons; lightening bolts) and accidental factors of menace.
    It's not known the extent of this power, since it was never tested.

(REFLEXES) Augmented neuronal impulses enhance his physical reactions and allow them to be perfectly tuned with optical perception.

Acquired powers:

State of self-confidence induced by the Six-Demon Bag serum (a miscela of wind and fire condensed).

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    "Well, you know what Jack Burton always says at a time like this..."
    "Who?"
    "Jack Burton, Me!"
    "Ol' Jack says...what the hell..."

My favorite line in the movie. Its a classic!
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

My favorite lines:

Jack: When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

-------

Jack Burton: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
    Lo Pan: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-