Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Light Hope to YOU?

Who is Light Hope to YOU?

It's obvious that Light Hope has won over more than a few people that may not otherwise have a place for PoP in their collections.

My question for those folks is, how will you work the character into your personal canon?

For those of us that always have and always will love PoP, my question is, How do you reconcile the MOTUC visual of Light Hope with his FILMation appearance? Or will you just wait to see what the bio says and go from there?

I don't go in for any of the MOTUC bios (I much prefer seeing the figures for what they are) but if I was to ever have a personal canon, Horde Prime would be the nemesis of Light Hope. He would eventually slay Light Hope in a powerful battle. Light Hope's body is subsequently buried in a tomb deep in the Crystal Castle, and being the living embodiment of all that is good, he becomes the Filmation version of Light Hope and is instrumental in providing guidance and rule over the Great Rebellion.. or something like that. I basically see Horde Prime and Light Hope as being near equals who fight this huge final battle.
    I also like that Light Hope could be some sort of living embodiment of the Crystal Castle, much like Castle Grayskullman. But prefer the former school of thought. I'd say if the bio reflected this then I'd be pretty happy they were providing good justification of the character, but as previously stated, i don't really go along with the MOTUC canon.
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    More important to me is the question of what the Crystal Castle is, its history is, and its importance throughout the MOTU timeline. We see interesting bits of information about the Light Hope character in the Classics bios. I can picture Light Hope also as a creation charged with the protection of the castle. The fact that She-Ra's power is drawn from Castle Grayskull and not the Crystal Castle leaves open a wide birth of possibilities for the Crystal Castle's origins that should be explored further in both the new mini comics and the DC comic books.

I tend to stick to what the bios say honestly... with a few "reading between the lines" alterations to justify decisions I disagree with.

The only one I totally reject is Photogs honestly, so I will wait and see what the back of the box says for Mr Hope.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Horde Prime, Unnamed One, and Light Hope were the great powers of the First Ultimate Battleground, in my canon. Hordak was not around back then, and King Hiss had already failed - being banished to the Nameless Dimension.

In the Battle, Light Hope stole the magic energies that gave Horde Prime his power. He fled thru the main tower's portal to Etheria, where he erected the Crystal Castle to hide the magics and eventually became one with the castle and the planet, evolving into the energy being we all know.

After Horde Prime was defeated by King Grayskull (think the MYP episode without the main Horde cast, and Horde Prime's death rather than banishment). The Horde Empire spent eons looking for the power that allowed them to subjugate a Universe... and in modern times, Hordak discovered the planet where the power was hidden. He took over Etheria to wrest the power back from Light Hope, and rule the Horde Empire thru it's second Golden Age.

For my money, Hordak isn't just a functionary that conquered a random planet. Etheria has to be a power-base similar to Eternia. By ignoring MYP, there's the opportunity to preserve the Secret of the Sword origin of Adora, without worrying about Hordak being locked away in Despondos for eons and then somehow deciding to kidnap the kids. Hordak originally tried to take over Eternia which is where Horde Prime died. When he discovered that Light Hope had escaped to Etheria, he enacted his final plan to bend the prophecy of the Twins to his aims, but failed to capture Adam (of course).

The final part of the Great Rebellion storyline, in my canon, is after years of toying with his former Force Captain, Hordak finally revealed his ace in the hole - he had brainwashed Adora with hidden triggers that, when enacted, turns She-Ra into Despara. After years of being in touch with Light Hope, Despara is able to enter the Crystal Castle, and drain the powers of Horde Prime. Now the most powerful being on Etheria, Despara is near omniscient, recognizes the triggers in her and is able to magically undo them. Hordak's final plan failed on the premise that an empowered Despara would serve him, rather she essentially destroys herself, restoring the good and heroic She-Ra (now permanently in this persona) who leads the Rebellion to the Fright Zone where they defeat the Horde once and for all. With no power left on Etheria to match She-Ra, Hordak takes his remaining soldiers back to Eternia in a desperate bid to control the magic powers of that planet to defeat She-Ra.

She-Ra and her closest friends then leave Etheria in peace to join He-Man and the Rebel Masters on Eternia.
    Last edited by Straight Edge; February 23, 2014 at 10:48am.
    My MOTU Classics Wishlist:
    Filmation - LIZARD MAN, Kittrina, Vultak, Zilora, Ileena, Masque
    Space Mutants - CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead, Lizzor, Hoove
    MYP - VEENA, Evilseed, Prahvus
    Concept - RED BEAST, 4H alien 'Zodaq', Tony Guerrero Prototype

Big fan if the Bios here, so I'm good with that. It will be very interesting to read how the Crystal Castke comes into play in that saga.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Liberace! LOL Kidding. He's Crystal Castle Man!
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

To me he is She-Ra's "Sorceress" mostly. My canon as him as one of the elders who was banished to Despondos and forced to maintain balance in Etheria. He serves his sentence by being a force of good.

His physical form is shackled thousands of feet below the Crystal Castle, and so he manifests himself as a huge column of light.

She-Ra doesn't know that he is actually a prisoner, she just thinks he is a column of light and the guardian of the castle.

I have no personal canon... But I have always bounced around the idea that Light Hope was He-Ro's spirit or perhaps even the spirit of Eldor.

I like the bios and the direction it has gone so i am sure I will keep it at that.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

He's that friggin' awesome figure that the Horsemen came up with.

I like his origin in the MOTUC bios, but I don't quite understand the logic behind the events which necessitated his creation. The ancients created five dimensions. Oops, this one is all dark and dreary. So let's give it a rainbow god. Instead of doing that, why not just make it not so dark and dreary? Oh well, you can't argue with the whims of the ancients, I suppose.

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    Liberace! LOL Kidding. He's Crystal Castle Man!
    You know what? He is... He's the "spirit" and embodiment of the castle. I didn't think about that!

I hope this lends more credence that we may eventually get a Snake Mountain man!

Light hope is a godlike oracle figure on the Planet of Etheria in the Dimension of Despondos. Just like previous cannon has established him.

Tempered by whatever bio MOTUC comes up with, since I have been very happy (for the most part) with how they have linked and explained this all inclusive line.

But see above for the standard version. I have seen some story some where where he is one of Eldor's LIving spells from the book of the same name to give hope to Etheria during the Horde Occupation. I like that, and am keeping it until otherwise disproved, ect.

I don't think this visualization of Light Hope negates the Filmation visualization of him. I envision the figure look to be his true look while the light pillar is a projection of himself when he communicates with mortals. Saying the figure negates the pillar of light is like saying the man behind the curtain negates the wizard.

It's strange isn't it? I only had a few she-ra episodes on VHS when i was young and i always saw light hope AS the beam of light. Being a child i never really made the connection that a beam of light can't be a person.... haha.

I am very interested in Light Hope's bio and think his figure turned out fantastic. Truly something i couldn't have imagined better. It was always a tricky one to put Light Hope in MOTUC form - But they have pulled it off so well.

I'd like a rainbow cylinder to put him in though... that would just top it off. Rounding out the character as we knew in filmation.

I like to think of Light Hope as either the Spirit of He-Ro, or a living spell that was cast by the first ones (which is how they were going to do it in the MVC comic - I liked that idea a lot)
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Court Magician
    I love the figure and am very keen to get him. Light Hope was always one of my favourite characters in the entire mythos, and I found the absence of information around this enigmatic character to be beguiling, to say the least. I had all sorts of theories about his origin, at one point I had an idea about it being a time-travelling and repentant Hordak! I thought him being one of Eldor's living spells was a clever idea but a bit impersonal. I have tended to carry around my own fan-fiction idea in my head for some time...

Many, many (many!) years ago when the internet was in its mid-to-late 90s infancy and I had just discovered the He-Ro character, I recall drawing a wee fan-fiction comic which was a "Secret Files of Scrollos" strip about the origin of Light Hope (this and "Tales from the Crystal Castle" told the backstories of many characters in the UK comics).

I had it that Keclar (leader of the Elders in, again, the UK comics) was recruiting a new Council to replace the old one. Keclar was so old by this point that he was going by the name "Eldor", and his fellow Elders had transcended into being energy beings, but he remained on Eternia. He-Ro was the leader of the new Council and his warriors included the wolf chieftess Sharella, Cosmic Enforcer Zodac and twin bowman and bowwoman Archer and Archa. Keclar recruited a young Eternian villager who was a powerful seer, his energies focussed through an ever-shifting colourful amulet he wore in a chain around his neck and over simple white robes. This was Light Hope, and despite his youth operated as a wise prophet and scholar rather than a fighter. Light Hope was secretly in love with He-Ro (yes, Light Hope was gay, no, the "rainbow thing" was an unintended coincidence that only comes to me now. And yes, this was relevant: read on).

As I recall, the narrative then shifted to Etheria, where He-Ro's Council had pursued the rogue Elder who had escaped a prison dimension after creating the Sword of Evil (UK comics again), the rogue Elder was calling himself Horde Prime by this point, though memories of his past were becoming clouded. He-Ro and his Council would be remembered as the "First Ones", but He-Ro was mortally wounded in driving Horde Prime from Etheria and lay dying in the Crystal Castle which had grown from the gemstone in He-Ro's staff. A tall, willowy, beautiful young woman who harnessed the powers of the sapling Whispering Woods (possibly a very young Madame Razz or possibly one of her ancestors) gave a desperate Light Hope details of a spell that would save He-Ro's life, but would cost him his own life. Only if the two subjects of the spell were in love could it work.

Light Hope cast the spell but Light Hope's love went unrequited and the "love of friendship" was not enough. He-Ro was in love with Archa, who was pregnant with his child back on Eternia, to which there was no time to get to. As one of the two was in love with each other (albeit unrequited), the spell partly worked. He-Ro lived but Light Hope began to wither and die. The force of his love, mixed with his magic powers, meant that he became one with his amulet and became the being of light we know from the cartoons, taking up residence as the guardian of the Crystal Castle and waiting millennia for its champion to arrive.

OK, so I was obsessed with doomed romance and unrequited love but I've remained fond of the story, although I daresay He-Ro and Archa (rubbish name) could be replaced with King Grayskull and Veena, or the like. I recall starting (but never finishing) a storyline set after Hordak's defeat where Shadow Weaver's troops discover the Crystal Castle during a Horde Civil War between her and Catra. She casts a spell to destroy Light Hope but inadvertently restored him to his human form. He then got to return to a corporeal life.

So I suppose, as the brilliant-looking MOTUC figure depicts a much older character, I may have Weaver booting him out of the Castle but only into semi-corporeal form and reflecting his great age, if I was to combine the MOTUC look with "my fan canon".
    Last edited by Iris Wildthyme; February 23, 2014 at 05:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    I don't think this visualization of Light Hope negates the Filmation visualization of him. I envision the figure look to be his true look while the light pillar is a projection of himself when he communicates with mortals. Saying the figure negates the pillar of light is like saying the man behind the curtain negates the wizard.
    This is exactly how I see him. The light pillar is a communication interface. I assume there is a reason he keeps his physical form a secret. He kept the Crystal Castle a secret from everyone but She-Ra, so it seems this guy has a lot on the line! He's all about secrecy. I'm waiting for the bio before I let myself get too attached to any other ideas, as I DO use the bios.
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

PLEASE ANNOUNCE DRAGSTOR SOON!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post

My question for those folks is, how will you work the character into your personal canon?
    well, i like thinking that light hope is actually eldor...he "merged" himself with the book of living spells
    to create a source of "good" power on etheria.

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    You Know What ?

If we are going to get the "TRUE" Unnamed One, then I guess Light Hope will be.......... Light Hope !

If we going get that "leaked" BS, then when I get my Light Hope, I'll turn him heel & thus, he will be......... The "Real" Unnamed One !!!!!!!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

LOOSE & INCOMPLETE UNNAMED ONE/GORPO FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    Saying the figure negates the pillar of light is like saying the man behind the curtain negates the wizard.
    I agree. The pillar of light is Light Hope's true form.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    In My Canon ™, the figure will be the form that Light Hope takes to battle Hordak during The Battle of The Crystal Castle. After Hordak defeats Light Hope and seizes some of his power, he then uses that power to finally leave Etheria and go back to Eternia so he can confront Skeletor and claim the Starseed and it's power for himself.

Heroic Warrior
    He is a living spell which is sentient. This humanoid form is what he has always looked like but he usually travels and appears as the pillar of light form we have seen .he is the embodiment of hope and all things good.his light can heal the innocent and burn the evil.it can light the way and destroy the wicked with its warmth.while he could've probably destroyed the horde long ago he is forbidden as it was written in the stars that the destined twins were required to find their own paths and let the hope and light in both of them be allowed to bloom and inspire others to stand up and fight for good.he can offer she ra advice and help when necessary.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    For me he is either He-Ro's spirit or a living spell... Or actually, he could be both...
    I love an all inclusive canon!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Lots of great ideas here, people! You're giving me much to think about.

AHHH I don't know!

See, I didn't grow up watching the PoP toon, and my major intro to it was the million times I watched the Secret of the Sword. So pretty much all my imaginative efforts into PoP have been with this toyline.

That said: I saw Light Hope mentioned a few times on the forums, but I never looked into it! All I knew was that he was a beam of light and that we probably wouldn't get a representation of that in the line. Now we are getting an AWESOME figure of him!

My basic idea for an ethereal "God" type character was actually my own creation in She-Ra herself - meaning, She-Ra was a great warrior years ago, and lived in the Crystal Castle. Her main foe was Catra. Some time ago, before all the Horde business, they had a fateful final battle, and Catra struck down She-Ra. She-Ra stated she would return one day, giving Etheria it's own prophecy rather than the standard Twins of Power thing being the only important junk going on. I wanted Etheria to be important in it's own way, rather than just being there to give She-Ra her own show away from He-Man.

Anyway, years later (Catra has gathered all sorts of magical items and has long since managed a long and youthful life) the Horde comes along, takes over, and forces all the other evil folks under their rule - Catra being one of the main ones. It was a great time for a prophecy to be fulfilled! So Adora gets all turned to good by He-Man and all that business, but realizes that - since folks know her as a Force Captain - she should probably help the rebellion in a secret identity. Enter She-Ra, the great warrior of legend, reborn! She hides her face in the classic mask and keeps up the ruse until people trust Adora enough, then she drops it and fulfills the return of She-Ra prophecy and all that. Haven't worked out all the details.

Point is: All the detail have to be rearranged now! Who is Light Hope in my personal story? Is HE the owner of the Crystal Castle? Perhaps he was the mentor to my "original She-Ra?" Maybe he still resides in the Crystal Castle and advises Adora, grooming her to fill the shoes of She-Ra and save Etheria. But is he a Living Spell? Is he sent from Eternia, or is he naturally from Etheria? I'm not sure what I wana do! I do still kinda want Etheria to be it's own thing. I mean, it's sort of tied to Eternia in a Fate kinda way, but I don't want it to be brought to life from Eldor's living spell, either. Not that I'm against Light Hope being one of the Living Spells...I just want Etheria to have it's own mythos that doesn't involve it essentially being: "Etheria IS because it needs to hold She-Ra."

I don't think I'm making any sense anymore.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.