Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pop Critica Q&A thread - Updated every two weeks!

Heroic Warrior

The Pop Critica Q&A thread - Updated every two weeks!

I don't know if other sites have their questions, but here's the latest from Kastor's Korner:

http://kastorskorner.com/wp/2014/02/...uc/#more-29168

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Kastor’s Korner: Can Design please explain (at a high level if necessary) how they absolutely can’t achieve female figures’ tights (similar to Strong-Or) instead of a skirt (ex: Standor)? Both examples are nicely contoured without a problem. Female bucks and their tooling have absolutely nothing to do with this obvious issue.

Mattel: The animation style tight swimsuit look that some fans are looking for in the female figures is just not physically possible without restricting the articulation. The way the skirts fold and hang on non articulated, non plastic hand painted prototypes is not physically possible on a plastic production toy. We hope this helps.
    It's Gunshots.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Evilseed (MYP)

I assume it's the hip articulation that prevents the female from having the "swimsuit" style crotch. Both Jewelstar and Tallstar have contoured crotch covers and have waist swivels, but they don't have hip swivels. Although we've seen what those hip swivels look like with a proper crotch on Captain Glenn, and no one really complained about it.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Still sticking to the story on the female skirts, I see. True, the trunk piece is more restrictive than a skirt, but that's true of the male figures like Bow, as well, and hasn't stopped them from using that for the males. I still believe the main reason for their stubborn refusal on this subject is because the crotch piece on the females is too long (as seen on Tallstar, whose trunks contradict much of what they are saying about them being impossible to do) and fixing it would require a new mold they aren't willing to pay for. Covering the mistake with a longer skirt is the cheapest way to deal with it; this is why we keep seeing the skirts on the production versions coming out significantly longer than the prototypes.

They fouled up the female crotch piece, and every female made with it is now paying the price...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I assume it's the hip articulation that prevents the female from having the "swimsuit" style crotch. Both Jewelstar and Tallstar have contoured crotch covers and have waist swivels, but they don't have hip swivels. Although we've seen what those hip swivels look like with a proper crotch on Captain Glenn, and no one really complained about it.
    I think this is the correct answer. They don't want the ball-joints on the upper hip exposed.
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

Quote Originally Posted by ToyGuru View Post
    Mattel: The animation style tight swimsuit look that some fans are looking for in the female figures is just not physically possible without restricting the articulation. The way the skirts fold and hang on non articulated, non plastic hand painted prototypes is not physically possible on a plastic production toy.

wouldn't it be easier and less insulting if Scott would just ignore the question, instead of pushing this falsehood?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    Kastor’s Korner: Have there been discussions to add a boot cut and injection molded ankles to the Princess of Power figures? Matty stated they would look into it, but characters like Flutterina still have limited leg articulation and exposed ankle pins, which will become weak from her presumably heavy wings.

Mattel: We will pass this along to design and engineering! Flutterina is already in production and has the current type of ankles.
    my Frosta and Octavia cannot stand up whatsoever. they've known about the weakness of the ankles since the beginning of the line. they fixed the male ankles (for the most part) and yet they continue to push the bad females.

Someone is going to steal Flutterina and take a pair of scissors to her crotch.

Heroic Warrior
    Mattel: The animation style tight swimsuit look that some fans are looking for in the female figures is just not physically possible without restricting the articulation. The way the skirts fold and hang on non articulated, non plastic hand painted prototypes is not physically possible on a plastic production toy. We hope this helps.
    I see, so using excess plastic, which we are constantly being reminded is very expensive, for the crotch piece DOES make it physically possible to maintain articulation? Meanwhile customizers can just clip the excess plastic off of the botched figures giving them the correct look without anything being compromised. Did the Glimmer figure in the display case at NYCC, that the "thief" clipped, have compromised articulation once it was modified?

It is apparent to me that Matty design is just too lazy, or too stupid to know how to properly translate the female figures. I don't know why they don't just consult the Horsemen for matters like these. Something tells me that arrogance and fragile egos at Matty are preventing that.

They should just go back to the '1.0 famale buck' and give the ladies the short skirts like folks want if adding them to the 2.0 one is a problem. Personally it's not a problem for me, but it appears most of the fans don't like them.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

The answers regarding the female leotards is just maddening.

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    They should just go back to the '1.0 famale buck' and give the ladies the short skirts like folks want if adding them to the 2.0 one is a problem. Personally it's not a problem for me, but it appears most of the fans don't like them.
    The problem isn't on the 2.0 buck............ Its because of "Rubenized Lazy Attitude" !!!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

MOTUC Mini Comics, Sub Exclusive Maps & Castle Grayskull Exclusive Posters FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    The problem isn't on the 2.0 buck............ Its because of "Rubenized Lazy Attitude" !!!

I agree, I've met him before at cons, and he takes a very blaze' tone to this issue as if it doesn't really matter,... I don't know it's only your job... or something?
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

A few more years and Mattel will be a thing of the past. Hasbro does it right with a TV channel, a MUCH BETTER store, and great products. Not saying they are perfect, but they are MUCH better than Mattel. Heck, just compare their stock prices to see it. Barbie and Hot Wheels won't keep them afloat forever.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    A few more years and Mattel will be a thing of the past. Hasbro does it right with a TV channel, a MUCH BETTER store, and great products. Not saying they are perfect, but they are MUCH better than Mattel. Heck, just compare their stock prices to see it. Barbie and Hot Wheels won't keep them afloat forever.
    I don't know about a much better store. Hasbro has been notoriously terrible when it comes to putting their SDCC exclusives on their website. Try waiting online for them to put up their SDCC exclusives. Getting Bruticus was a nightmare last year. At least Mattel tells everyone when their stuff is coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I don't know about a much better store. Hasbro has been notoriously terrible when it comes to putting their SDCC exclusives on their website. Try waiting online for them to put up their SDCC exclusives. Getting Bruticus was a nightmare last year. At least Mattel tells everyone when their stuff is coming out.
    I almost always miss the SDCC exclusives from Hasbro, you're lucky if they tell you the day they are going to be available, and the quantities seem very low. I've never missed one from Mattel. While the new Marvel Legends are nice, if MOTUC had paint jobs and quality control as poor as the new Captain America series, this place would explode.
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

Heroic Warrior
    Wow. The responses to the questions about the female sculpt/buck were pretty poor.

I don't understand why they can't replicate the same look and range of movement that Bow has, but for the female figures. Alternatively, if they refuse to translate the leotard look properly, then why don't they just give all of the PoP female figures the "skirts" that the original toys had? At least they would then genuinely represent the original toy designs, since they can't accurately represent the Filmation designs.

Same issue for the ankles. It would be great if ALL MOTUC action figures, including the female figures, had rocker ankles like Teela.

Heroic Warrior
    See I don't care about the 'dumpy crotch' thing, in fact the constant complaints making constant appearances irritates me but at the same time, I don't believe this.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I agree.

I mean, I really don't CARE about the PoP figures. I think they look fine the way they are. However just about every female superhero figure EVER has the 'bathing suit' design. To hear that everyone else is doing something that is 'impossible' seems ridiculous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    They don't bother me much...or at all really.

What is maddening is people asking the same question...about the same thing...and thinking things are going to magically change now.

Someone is going to steal Flutterina and take a pair of scissors to her crotch.
    incorrect. comeone's going to steel her twice.....
    WISHLIST: Lodar, Green and Purple demons, Gwildor, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Mermista, Prince Dakon, Tung Lashor, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Lizard Man, Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I almost always miss the SDCC exclusives from Hasbro, you're lucky if they tell you the day they are going to be available, and the quantities seem very low. I've never missed one from Mattel. While the new Marvel Legends are nice, if MOTUC had paint jobs and quality control as poor as the new Captain America series, this place would explode.
    I agree. The only thing Hasbro does better than Mattel is their Hub Network channel and mindless money making movies.

Hasbro wins on the screens but not in the plastic imo.

I wish Mattel would team up with DreamWorks or something and attempt a television network to compete with Hasbro's Hub Network (which I absolutely love!). REVIVE the HOUR OF POWER!!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    They don't bother me much...or at all really.
    Yay for differing opinions!

What is maddening is people asking the same question...about the same thing...and thinking things are going to magically change now.
    Fair point. Mattel definitely have a party line by this point they are sticking to, and asking this over and over is going to no one any good. But, it still doesn't make their answer make a heck of a lot more sense any more than the first time they talked about not having the advanced toy tech to do something so flashy as a leotard bottom.

As far as the female crotch piece is concerned, how come mattel can't make a connecting piece at the bottom of the crotch? say for instance the bow crotch piece is fine, but it's not connected at the bottom. but if the piece at the bottom was connected for female characters in the manufactured process before the legs were connected you could have a regular leotard look without the "dumpy crotch" nonsense became an issue for fans to complain about. Other companies can pull it off, I don't really understand why the MOTUC line has such an issue. The basics being successful in a business is customer service. The basics of customer service is that you listen to and adhere towards customer satisfaction. In this case customer satisfaction would be either making a crotch piece that is one solid mold and looks uniform towards the characters proportions, or making a armor piece that covers the entirety of the crotch base (like a real unitard does) that doesn't conflict with proportions.
    If matty is really looking to make the line successful for the future then maybe that's how they would go, but if they are looking to just cash in quick and make some quick income for a quick buck then they are fulfilled. Granted that the line has been going for several years now, but are they really looking to make improvements on there product? Are they really competing with other companies, or is it more about cashing in while they can?
    Honestly I feel like they can improve. I feel like Ruben at the design team just answers to corporate and does his job. But if he actually cared about the line he was working on more of the complaints we, the fanbase have had would be heard and things changed. Certainly not every fan complaint is a reason to go and redesign every factor of the process, but this is an issue that is completely dismissed for no justifiable reason.
    Stay free my Misery

Quote Originally Posted by Mattel
    The animation style tight swimsuit look that some fans are looking for in the female figures is just not physically possible without restricting the articulation. The way the skirts fold and hang on non articulated, non plastic hand painted prototypes is not physically possible on a plastic production toy. We hope this helps.

All you can really do is laugh at this answer for so many reasons. Please consider yourself a hack and at the bottom of your field if this answer came from any kind of toy creator. I would hope you would please find yourself a job in another industry where applying solutions to problems that have already been solved and creative thinking to overcome new issues is not required.