Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Buy New MOTUC Loose?

Would You Buy New MOTUC Loose?

I have no doubt that I am in the minority, but I was wondering if anybody else out there would like the option of buying loose MOTU figures.

Imagine if we were offered the option of a well packed, but uncarded figure for say.....10 bucks cheaper. I would jump at this! I open everything anyway, so what the heck? Of course, this isn't to say that ALL future figures should be loose, as that would be ridiculous.

Anybody else?
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 5, 2017 at 11:35pm.
    Odd Man Out

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Yup. I'd love to have the option to get them in a poly bag, like Teela with Point Dread. I don't need the packaging when there's no new art on it.

I would if this was offered.

As long as I'm not missing out on a bio or some card art, I'd have no problem with this as I open everything. Plus it would certainly cut down on all the wasted plastic being thrown out.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, Lodar, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Granita, Teela, Hordak head, Dylamug, Twiggets, Trollans, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

I definitely would - I've never been one to save the packaging. As the production costs for niche collector lines continue to rise - and since many collector aimed figure lines are now often being marketed directly to the consumer, rather than to retail, I think this is something we may eventually see traction with to cut overall production costs.

Obviously Wal Mart and Target need packaged figures to place on their retail shelves and pegs. But with on-line only figure lines, I could see a company try this - send the figure and accessories in a sealed poly bag or shrink wrapped plastic. This would not only eliminate the need to produce decorative packaging but would also allow for cheaper shipping in smaller, lighter boxes.

I don't think we'd be looking at a $10 discount on that however - I don't think there's anyway that packaging results in 1/3 of the cost of figure production. I believe the greatest savings for the consumer would be on the shipping charges. But event that would likely be worth it for people like me that open all of their figures anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    As long as I'm not missing out on a bio or some card art, I'd have no problem with this as I open everything.
    If some company were brave enough to try this they could even produce Character Bios or Character cross sell art to post online so those who were so inclined could print it out or store it as they saw fit without any of the costs to print the actual cardbacks and mold the plastic bubbles. That way we wouldn't have to feel like we were "losing" something if they abandoned the packaged model.

Court Magician The Timeless One's Avatar
    Without hesitation. Figures come right out the packaging for me. Figure on shelf, packaging in trash. Sent in lighter packaging of some kind (sans box, plastic blister, etc) -- win-win, in my book. Less waste, easier to deal with for all parties. Of course, I understand that some like to collect/display MOC, and so this wouldn't be for them. That's fine. To each their own.

No problemo .

Give me loose figs <3

Widget
    Absolutely. I open them anyway.

Heroic Warrior
    If it kept costs down, you bet. I display them open, so as long as it was in a bag like PD Teela or something, it would work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    I don't think we'd be looking at a $10 discount on that however - I don't think there's anyway that packaging results in 1/3 of the cost of figure production. I believe the greatest savings for the consumer would be on the shipping charges.
    I just pulled the 10 dollar figure out of thin air, but you nailed it when you mentioned saving on shipping. That was my entire point. Less production cost for SUPER7, less shipping cost for Loose buyers. Win/Win.

Heck, some people might be inclined to buy extras.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    If some company were brave enough to try this they could even produce Character Bios or Character cross sell art to post online so those who were so inclined could print it out or store it as they saw fit without any of the costs to print the actual cardbacks and mold the plastic bubbles. That way we wouldn't have to feel like we were "losing" something if they abandoned the packaged model.
    Great idea.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 5, 2017 at 08:56pm.
    Odd Man Out

If it reduces the price at all I'd absolutely prefer loose figures.
    Matt Moylan
    Director of Publishing, UDON Entertainment

NO....

Unless it comes shipped with a cardback, NO. I open all of mine, but I also collect the cardbacks. And, no, having the capability to print off a bio online is not the same thing.

Heroic Warrior
    Absolutely. How many of the same box do you need? Send them in ziplock bags. Seriously.

How often are these figures damaged because of being of being placed in packaging?

Maybe they could offer a loose subscription and a MIB. That would be a first, right?

Heroic Warrior
    My friend and I used to sell MOTUC on ebay. He would sell his figures MOC. I would rip them out of the package and sell them as "like new." He would have to factor in shipping costs of $8-9 due to the size and weight of the packaging, while I could ship my figures for around $4 and charge people less overall. My "like new" figures almost always sold faster than his MOC figures. The market is definitely there for loose figures as long as it saves a few bucks.

Absolutely. The packaging goes in the trash after getting the figure. I'll take a poly bag with a header card over the carded packs every time.

Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    As MOC collector, of course : no

I would actually prefer this to all of the plastic and paper waste generated by the current packaging.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

On an idea level, I would.
    But the fact is these figures are way too pricey to collect internationally (personally for me anyway) and I doubt, the price would go low enough for me to deem these figures worth it.

If these figures were priced on a level, that is affordable for me, I would be all over this idea, since I open my figures.

- Joni -

Definitely NOT!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    Definitely NOT!
    I get MOC and one to open, so I'd like a polybag option if they kept the carded version option available.
    MASS REJECTION
    www.facebook.com/massrejection

Wanted in Collector's Choice:

Lodar, Masks of Power Demons (2-pack), Prince Dakon, Attack Trak, NA Vintage line completed.

I agree that having this option to save money would be excellent, but for those MOC collectors to pay a few dollars more for the nice packaging would be necessary if poly's were an option.

Yes, count me in.

What would work best for me would be the option to have a carded figure (at a premium) OR a loose figure when ordering. I have been a cherry picker since Day 1, and when I found a figure I really liked I would buy multiples (at least one to keep MOC and another to open, 'play with', and/or display). In those situations, more often than not 50% of the packaging would go straight in the waste. On top of that, I was paying shipping to Canada for carded figures I would open anyway. If the price of the loose figures could be slightly reduced it might even prevent me from being stung on customs charges, save me paying full shipping AND be (slightly) better for the environment.

But I would still like the option of paying that premium to have a select few minty fresh examples for my shelf/wall.

Sure. Of course I love having the box to look at and rip open, that's part of the fun, but if it was a significant saving I'd choose to have mine shipped loose, as my packaging just ends up in the bin.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration