Page 4 of 159 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fwoosh MotUC reviews, photos and pictures!

Filmation She-Ra Forever! AlessandraF's Avatar
    I said that in the other thread and I wonder why no one noticed this here..
    Where is He-Man.org advance review of the figures?!
    Why other sites are getting samples of the new figures to review and the largest He-Man community doesn't get any?! What's wrong with Mattel?!
    "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them,
    One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them..."

I'm supporting Power and Honour Foundation!
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

………… ________
    ……… / | \\___
    …… /........|-.... |.…..... o\
    ……… (@)-----------(@)-΄

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think many people are thinking that since we're paying $20 per figure we should be getting a higher quality figure than a $12 DCUC, but I think the reality is the quality and craftsmanship will still be the same. The higher price is just to cover manufacturing costs and is not representative of the quality of the product.
    I think you're right there.
    I'm sure it's just the fact that the run of figures will be more limited so the cost goes up. But I definitely think Mattel needs to be aware that the higher the price point, the higher the expectations of the product. I'm considering getting two of He-man because of this problem, and maybe getting rid of the one that looks the worst. But I can't/don't want to do that with every figure. It looks like the one reviewed on actionfigureinsider.com (the first early review) has a better paint app on the cross, but it's hard to tell.

Sometimes wonky paint apps aren't as noticeable in real life either. I'm willing to give the line some leeway and I'm still excited, but I am more nervous now.

Oh, and in reply to Alessandra...

I'm wondering that too. It does seem VERY odd that the ORG doesn't have samples yet. Although maybe they're on their way?

My honest oppinion is that Mattel see he-man.org as the focal point for all things MOTU & POP, (as do we all) and they have a problem with that! I assume they don't have any control over the org as Val & Emiliano own & manage this website. By giving news to other websites and posting more info on Matty collector while leaving the org out of the loop it kinda decentralises MOTU somewhat. This forces fans to go elsewhere to get information and takes away from the importance and centralisation of the org. Mattel seem very intent on getting fans to focus on the brand page on Mattycollector. I don't mean any of this as an attack on Mattel, just my observations on why the org seems to be left behind on things like this.

But Mattel will never be able to fully cut the org out of the loop so to speak. He-Man and She-Ra fans are very vocal and this is where we have and always will come to discuss our oppinions on the MOTU and POP brands. But the org did get to show Stratos first, so Mattel have kinda already given this place a little hommage. But the true honner would be giving the org an exclusive MOTUC figure, something with a very limited run say Fearless Photog: Something that only the truly faithful and hardcore fans would know about or want. I think the org deserves something like this to be done (if feasable). This place and the people herein have kept the MOTO, POP, NA and more recently 2k-MYP/MVC MOTU tourchs burning for a number of dark years. The org has kept awareness of the brand alive for Mattel and other stake holders for free (Well free to everyone but Val and Emiliano & those who have donated to the org over the years). I truly think the org's importance should be formally recognsed by Mattel LONG LIVE HE-MAN.ORG
    Last edited by Angel-T; November 24, 2008 at 07:19pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Interesting theory, Angel-T. If Mattel did want to cut out He-Man.org, that wouldn't be very realistic. This is the ultimate MOTU site, and unless Val and crew shut it down, we're all going to keep coming here for years to come.

It is kind of peculiar that the .Org didn't have an early review, but I don't know if it's representative of anything.

I am not making any claims. I don't know this to be true, it's just my impression. The org is going to be changing soon, maybe while still being focused on the current developments it is going to focus on developing as a impressive reasource /archive of all things MOTU, POP, POG, NA, 2K-MYP-MVC, MOTUC. I don't see any other reasion for not giving early reviews and stuff to the org. Or maybe it's just as simple as not enlough traffic passes through this website so Mattel give these exclusives to places like the Foowsh, AFI & TNI to create more brand awareness amongst the many general collectors who access these sites.
    Last edited by Angel-T; November 24, 2008 at 07:21pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I don't think it's fair to say that Mattel are cutting the .Org out of the loop. It's more likely that they want to spread the word on the new line and are sending out figures for other sites to review as a way to get as many people on the web interested as possible.

Most of the fans here have probably made up their minds already about whether or not they're going to buy the figures.

If Mattel didn't care about this site they wouldn't bother with a regular Q&A.

Great review and awesome pics.

However I gotta strongly disagree with this idea that He-man was nondescript or bland. I agree that he certianly was in the 200x line and the MOTUC version is better but nothing tops the original.

I invite folks to go pick their original He-man figure.
    Not the reproduced ultra smooth Commemorative version but the original proper He-man.

Look at his face up real close! There's a real distingtive face there!
    I'm confused as to
    a) Why these reviewers feel that he doesn't?
    b) Why the 4HM didn't try and make the MOTUC face more like the oiriginal?

Maybe folks are just looking at the commemoritive?
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

If any of you want a measure of where we fan in the pop culture network, check out Fwoosh's About section.
    The traffic it mentions for the site is almost exactly what we get here at He-Man.org
    And we focus on just He-Man and She-Ra.

Plus, unlike many other forums, we delete inactive forum accounts.
    If we didn't, we've have over 14,000 registered users based on past account alone.

Early this summer and then post-SDCC has given way to a set of very disappointing MOTU-related experiences, for which I don't want to share specifics. Those who know share our disappointment. I knock on wood, though, that they are all coincidental.

My biggest concern: When He-Man.org and other MOTU fan sites aren't up-to-the-minute on MOTUC, having the details passed along to us as they develop, what does that say to the world about the future of this line?
    This was supposed to be the line for the fans and collectors, after all.
    I have a lot of hope this will change in time.

I'm going to try and no longer worry about the politics of it all.
    Ten years of trying to get Mattel to work closely with this site and the fans, with limited success, has burnt me out. Nothing against them, I'm just done chasing the news. I just don't think we should have to any more.
    Instead, I plan to just focus on turning this site into the resource we always hoped for and let the news come in as it will.
    Then I can just relish in finding out about cool classic MOTU items that I never new existed.
    The news willl come as it comes.

Also, Emiliano and I are going to do what we always do, and that's continue to help fans where and when we can: like obtaining exclusives, or relaying info when we get it, passing along fan concerns, etc.

Plus, when the new site is done (once these stupid bugs are finally ironed out; it's taking a lot longer than any of us wanted and its getting irritating),
    you all call can do a lot more self-policing... fans can update the content, and post the news, etc.
    At least as a whole, fans can network the news and keep everything up-to-date outside of the forums as well.

I'd prefer we don't get into speculation.
    We're obviously not thrilled to see this site yet again lagging behind the curve with Mattel and MOTU.
    But there's nothing we can do.
    My guess is we'll eventually get a set to review.
    And I know I personally am more interested in the historical aspect of MOTU at the moment.
    Who knows.. maybe we'll be lucky and they are going to surprise us with some big He-Man.org/Mattel plans for the holidays. One can dream, right?

As far as MOTUC goes, these toy reviews are great to see and I love reading fellow fan reaction. I really hope the line does well.
    I don't want my beloved MOTU to fall short once again for whatever reason.

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I like the colors a lot more in these pics than in the first review. The shininess doesn't seem to be a factor. However, for some reason, he still seems off. I think I'm just not really like how his face looks. With that said, he is still a must buy figure for me, but I may just need to do a repaint to get him to how I want him to look. The sculpt is definitely there!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Mattel may have a hard time appreciating this site, but He-fans definitely do. And I think we, at least, realize there wouldn't be such a devout fan base today if it weren't for the org keeping the fire burning when He-Man wasn't on the shelves (which has been the majority of the last two and a half decades).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think many people are thinking that since we're paying $20 per figure we should be getting a higher quality figure than a $12 DCUC, but I think the reality is the quality and craftsmanship will still be the same.
    Excellent point, I think you're right!

And to be honest, the quality (which is usually good in my experience) of the DCUC figures is a much lower concern than is actually trying to FIND the darn things.

But DCUC also gets a LOT more parts and unique sculpts than we've seen so far.
    With MOTUC, the most important thing that separates each figure is the head sculpt, it's what I feel we're paying for.
    And so if you disservice the head sculpt in any way, it's exponentially worse than doing so with a hand, or a belt, or whatever.

That's why Mattel really has to has to has to(!!!) focus on getting the heads to look their absolute possible best!
    So no glossy paints, and no sculpt-softening casting!!!
    I understand if they can't invest any more money to make paint apps look drastically better, but for example, I don't see how casting He-Man's head in the same plastic as his body and using matte paints/finishes is any more expensive than the way they've done it here, which is much worse!

Mezco sent out a better version of their Hellboy Twink figure, so even that kind of this isn't witout precedent in the toy biz.
    But a boxed set with several different new head sculpts (as has been suggested many times) would also be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I'm confused as to
    When I look at it, I feel the 4H did in fact borrow quite heavily from the Classic head sculpt, and then blended it with a little Filmation look to be a little more universally pleasing for all of the fans.

Unfortunately due to the way Mattel cast and painted the MOTUC head, it falls way short of the original 4H sculpt, which is IMO the best He-Man head sculpt we've ever seen, Classic included.

But I do agree with you about how awesome and distinctive the vintage is, too!

----

RE: the politics of Mattel concerning the .org . . .

Whatever the issues may have been, I would hope that this NEW line would bring the turning of a NEW page.

I mean, aren't ALL parties concerned primarily interested in the greatest success possible for MOTUC?

But just to echo some thoughts . . . as long as we still have the tireless efforts of those that run this place (and the humble contributions from the fans) this place, and its people . . . we ain't goin' NOWHERE.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Mattel may have a hard time appreciating this site, but He-fans definitely do. And I think we, at least, realize there wouldn't be such a devout fan base today if it weren't for the org keeping the fire burning when He-Man wasn't on the shelves (which has been the majority of the last two and a half decades).
    Here here.

He-Man.org dare I challenge is one of, if not the most vital aspect of MOTU. It is our place it keeps us connected and all aspects of MOTU alive. Any good business knows that while the products are very important that ultimately THE PEOPLE, the customers are the companies true soul.

I feel very fortunate to have the amazing products that Mattel has delivered to us in MOTU world...but Mattel is pretty lucky to have us too.

Quote Originally Posted by PaTrIcKfOgArTy View Post
    Here here.

He-Man.org dare I challenge is one of, if not the most vital aspect of MOTU. It is our place it keeps us connected and all aspects of MOTU alive. Any good business knows that while the products are very important that ultimately THE PEOPLE, the customers are the companies true soul.

I feel very fortunate to have the amazing products that Mattel has delivered to us in MOTU world...but Mattel is pretty lucky to have us too.
    Agreed. Mattel needs us more than we need them.

I find Mattel's relationship with He-man.org to be very weird. They are obviously more than happy to use the knowledge here to help them, and have admitted to using the boards as a sort of free version of market research. But then they turn around and seem a little reticent with info or the free samples or something (and hey, maybe they're in the mail). On the other hand, a rep is answering questions...

So who knows. It could be a disconnect between corporate policy and the desires of individual people who work for Mattel. Mattel might just be hesitant to seem too connected to the ORG because they don't have control of the content, and they don't want to be held responsible if the Org does something that might reflect on them badly. Also, since they are trying to establish Mattycollector.com as a sort of destination that might contribute to it. I can understand that from a branding view.

That being said, there has to be some sort of middle ground (but big corporations are notorious for being skittish, which often limits their flexibility). I don't know what the relationship is right now, but I hope Mattel work at strengthening that.

In any case, I'm glad He-man.org is here and that there's such passion for it. I feel like a bad fan as I took an extended vacation after the demise of the 200X line, and just became a lurker. I guess part of me was just bummed about the state of things then. But it's nice to come back and see everyone's kept it so alive, to look at the old fan art I did and have long since lost my own copies of, and see familiar faces from back then. There's something very special about that. I hope Mattel realizes that, and how valuable it's been in keeping MOTU alive when they couldn't be bothered with it.
    Last edited by JonWes; November 24, 2008 at 11:14pm.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post

In any case, I'm glad He-man.org is here and that there's such passion for it. I feel like a bad fan as I took an extended vacation after the demise of the 200X line, and just became a lurker. I guess part of me was just bummed about the state of things then. But it's nice to come back and see everyone's kept it so alive, to look at the old fan art I did and have long since lost my own copies of, and see familiar faces from back then. There's something very special about that. I hope Mattel realizes that, and how valuable it's been in keeping MOTU alive when they couldn't be bothered with it.
    Amen, Brutha thatguy. Amen! I too disappeared after teh lien was dead, and only occassionally poked in, but now, with MOTUC coming back, and my class having taken an interest in He-Man, the .Org seemed like coming home.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Okay then, but the stactions can't be played with. So how about this-

Best. He-Man. Toy. Ever.

Better?
    Again I must politely disagree while referring back to Webster's.

http://www.websters-online-dictionar...efinition/Play

"Verb 5. Be at play; be engaged in playful activity; amuse oneself in a way characteristic of children; "The kids were playing outside all day"; "I used to play with trucks as a little girl"."

"Verb 11. : engage in recreational activities rather than work; occupy oneself in a diversion; "On weekends I play"; "The students all recreate alike"."

"Noun 8. Play by children that is guided more by imagination than by fixed rules; "Freud believed in the utility of play to a small child"."

"Noun 14. : gay or light-hearted recreational activity for diversion or amusement; "it was all done in play"; "their frolic in the surf threatened to become ugly"."

http://www.websters-online-dictionar...definition/Toy

"Noun 1. An artifact designed to be played with."

"Noun 2. A nonfunctional replica of something else (frequently used as a modifier); "a toy stove"."

Per the definitions above, a Staction or Statue may in fact be considered a "Toy" and may also be "Played" with.

Again, "Articulation/Posability" and/or "Action Features" are not required to define whether or not an object is a "Toy" or whether an object can or cannot be "Played" with.

The use of Imagination and the desire for Recreation, Diversion or Amusement do however appear to be prerequisites for "Toys" and "Play" in the context of this discussion. I humbly submit to you that an individual can engage in activity with a Staction or Statue while using Imagination and desiring Recreation, Diversion or Amusement thus qualifying a Staction or Statue as a "Toy" that can be "Played" with.

Can a Staction be played with in a rough fashion?
    Probably not for very long, but it could be argued that neither could a great many other things that are properly referred to as "Action Figures" these days. Several Modern 200X MOTU Action Figures (among other things) come to mind based on many of the stories reported on the site during that time. I guess they just don't make 'em like they used to!

Should Stactions be given to young childeren to play with?
    Probably not due to the choking hazards of small pieces and the fragility of the Stactions which could potentially result in injury to the child. However, it is theoretically possible for a child (young or old) to safely and responsibly play with a Staction.

Thus, I still stand by my originally stated opinion which, I would like to note, was clearly stated to be only my personal preference and was stated while respectfully acknowledging the expressed opinion of MegaGearMax and anyone else who may share that view.

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now and Forever!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlessandraF View Post
    Why other sites are getting samples of the new figures to review and the largest He-Man community doesn't get any?! What's wrong with Mattel?!
    I think that would be a GREAT question for the next WTFWTK! Except maybe leave out the part asking what's wrong with them--I don't think they would be too happy about that! ;-) I would ask it but I already asked one about international shipping.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; November 25, 2008 at 02:57am.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

nothing tops the original.

I invite folks to go pick their original He-man figure.
    Not the reproduced ultra smooth Commemorative version but the original proper He-man.

I'm confused as to

Maybe folks are just looking at the commemoritive?
    Ya know I absolutely agree with you! I was thinking about this on my in to work this morning and when you compare all of the He-Man figures, the original 8-back release is the best looking! I think it has more detail and personality of all the He-Man faces (sorry 4H! )

Here's another question... at what global time will Matty make He-Man available?? I think my Dec 1 comes round before peeps in the US... (time zones etc) Its gonna suck big time if Im at work all day on Dec 1st and He-Man is still not available.
    Last edited by oICEMANo; November 25, 2008 at 02:55am.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

npbaity:

Let's agree to disagree.

But I still stand by my opinion that the stactions are not toys; they're just too fragile to be played with.

You give one of those to a child and it wouldn't last 10 minutes.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; November 25, 2008 at 07:14am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    When I look at it, I feel the 4H did in fact borrow quite heavily from the Classic head sculpt, and then blended it with a little Filmation look to be a little more universally pleasing for all of the fans.

Unfortunately due to the way Mattel cast and painted the MOTUC head, it falls way short of the original 4H sculpt, which is IMO the best He-Man head sculpt we've ever seen, Classic included.

But I do agree with you about how awesome and distinctive the vintage is, too!
    Well the Filmation He-man is pretty much the same overall face except that he had a far smaller nose in the toon. So I always get confused by statements that don't liken the toon to the figure.

To me the MOTUC He-man looks like a combo of the 200x and the original expecially on the final produced figure.

But I will totally agree with you that the protoype head was quite nice and did indeed look like He-man and had the final figure been more like that, I probably wouldn't be saying any of this.
    The final moulding isn't as tight on these compared to the prototypes.

It's still a great figure and I cannot wait.
    It's just a little frustrating that we haven't had the He-man that we fell in love with since 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Ya know I absolutely agree with you! I was thinking about this on my in to work this morning and when you compare all of the He-Man figures, the original 8-back release is the best looking! I think it has more detail and personality of all the He-Man faces (sorry 4H! )
    It's the weirdest thing! I encounter it on and off here over the years and to a digree I can understand it as there was a lot of interpritations of his face.
    A lot of the comic styled stock art gave him rather older and often too rugged a face.
    The toon simplified it and aside from the stupidly small nose, over all they nailed it.
    Alcala's varied a bit to much to nail down.
    Texeria's was too generic.
    Certain colouring books and jigsaws came close.
    Where as I think Brice Timm was the closest to nailed and it looks like as he really looked at the figure.
    Esteban Maroto was the best in my opinion.

When in doubt about He-Man's looks, look to the 1982 figure and Bruce Timm's comics.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    the more pictures I see, the more excited I get. I really thought I would be a completest with the 200X line, but after getting he-man, adam, teela, man-at-arms, and trapjaw, I found I really didn't care for the overall aesthetic of the line (blasphemy to some of you, I know) but this line has everything I was hoping that line would deliver. Let's just hope enough of us have enough disposable income to purchase all the left overs so mattel will keep making them

The pictures I feel were done with a little too much light, especially on the front shots. But otherwise a great review. What I love the best is the comparison shots from the other 2 lines. I had no idea the classics figures were going to be so big. Can't wait!
    TOYARK.COM - An all new site dedicated to all things toys.

Esteban Maroto was the best in my opinion..
    Remind me who this was again?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    It's a good review, and it's nice to see all of those pictures. But I can't help but feel a little cheated when I see it. Only because I'm seeing all these other sites posting reviews and He-Man.org hasn't even recieved a review sample yet. (I'm doing the review for the site.) It just makes me wonder why...
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlessandraF View Post
    I guess it's to give MOTUC some validity in the collecting world. Hey, I'd imagine that this would be the drop dead FIRST place you'd see ANY MOTU news.

They might be leaking these out to regular toysites so they can generate a bigger turnout on Dec. 1st. Face it, people from He-Man.org are getting MOTUC He-Man and Beastman regardless. A common train of thought thinks this: "Pass. MOTUC is just a rehash and the 4H did a better job 5 years ago." Mattel likely wants to get more than just .orgers to get into this line (which is funny, because I thought this line was only going to be supported by MOTU fans).

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)