Page 5 of 152 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fwoosh MotUC reviews, photos and pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Remind me who this was again?
    Most accurate interpritation of He-man's face ever methinks!

Which very much inspired my recent (unfinished) attempt at the definitive He-man which basically involved studying the original figure.

Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Most accurate interpritation of He-man's face ever methinks!
    Ah him... Hmm not sure I like that image of He-Man.
    Looks a bit too cro-magnon for my tastes.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

That's a cool image (though people in MOTU handle the sharp blades of swords rather recklessly, I've noticed) but not quite He-man to me. It's a little more neaderthalish for my tastes. But that's the funny thing about He-man. He's been interpreted so many different ways I think a definitive look is hard to nail down. Especially one that a majority would agree on.

Well that's his face lads! Look at the figure!
    This is also how very like how Bruce Timm drew him.

Anybody got a better quality one?

Folks don't see He-man as he is. They got their own version and while that's cool, it's not fare on the character I think.
    This is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Does anybody see what I'm saying?
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I guess it's to give MOTUC some validity in the collecting world. Hey, I'd imagine that this would be the drop dead FIRST place you'd see ANY MOTU news.

They might be leaking these out to regular toysites so they can generate a bigger turnout on Dec. 1st. Face it, people from He-Man.org are getting MOTUC He-Man and Beastman regardless. A common train of thought thinks this: "Pass. MOTUC is just a rehash and the 4H did a better job 5 years ago." Mattel likely wants to get more than just .orgers to get into this line (which is funny, because I thought this line was only going to be supported by MOTU fans).

You may be right in that line of thinking, but it does still stink. We were expecting to get a set to review. We were told we would get one. But where is it? We sure don't know...
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Folks don't see He-man as he is. They got their own version and while that's cool, it's not fare on the character I think.

There are some stylistic leaps though, to get from the figure to either one of those pictures. I mean, I think they're closer than some, but I don't think you can say they're an exact match. The difference in style is where the different interpretations come into play. That's not a bad thing.

The Fwoosh have added 1 new pic showing He-Man sitting down. Not as much hip movement as i'd like, but good enough.

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar

I think it's fair to say that you are putting your own wants/opinions onto what you consider the definitive he-man. But none of the images that you've posted even really coincide with the filmation or MYP toons which are by far the most accepted and accessible forms of MOTU media

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The Fwoosh have added 1 new pic showing He-Man sitting down. Not as much hip movement as i'd like, but good enough.
    Once I get the figure to do the Video Review for He-Man.org, I'll be sure to show him off in different poses, as well as show how he fits with some of the older vehicles and such.

Any special requests for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian30 View Post
    Once I get the figure to do the Video Review for He-Man.org, I'll be sure to show him off in different poses, as well as show how he fits with some of the older vehicles and such.

All I care about is a Battle Cat pose.

I never bought Cat in 2002, but I'll pick him up along with Panthor if He-Man and Skeletor look good on them.

Are the Classics at all in-scale with older vehicles? It seems like they'd be way too big for them.

I really hope we get a new Battle Cat. I'm sure he and Panthor will be one of the first non-figure things they'll do if the line is successful. I'd love to see 4H's take on a BC with a more traditional mask. I liked the 200X design okay, but it seemed to lack some of the regal bearing of the old BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian30 View Post

He's probably too big to fit in the Wind Raider etc, but i'd love to see him alongside either version of Castle Grayskull.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Are the Classics at all in-scale with older vehicles? It seems like they'd be way too big for them.

I really hope we get a new Battle Cat. I'm sure he and Panthor will be one of the first non-figure things they'll do if the line is successful. I'd love to see 4H's take on a BC with a more traditional mask. I liked the 200X design okay, but it seemed to lack some of the regal bearing of the old BC.
    Even as a kid, I never thought Battle Cat's mask looked very "cool", but for some reason, when the 2002 Cat didn't have something really similar, I didn't like his look, either.

So, I would also like to see the Horsemen take on Battle Cat in MOTUC.

Yeah, the new figures may be a tad too big for the classic vehicles, but it's not going to stop me from trying it out. Heck, that's what I want to accomplish with the reviews! Showing how the new He-Man compares.

I wills urely do some poses with Battle Cat and Castle Grayskull! Both versions of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Even as a kid, I never thought Battle Cat's mask looked very "cool", but for some reason, when the 2002 Cat didn't have something really similar, I didn't like his look, either.

So, I would also like to see the Horsemen take on Battle Cat in MOTUC.
    I got samurai battle cat and painted his armor red and removed one piece... it is very reminiscent of the original once you see it in all red.

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    To say you only need He-Man to "only be able to sit on Battle Cat and that's ok" is very short-sighted. He isn't the only one to use those furry shorts and Mattel needs to find a way to make the plastic softer, so other characters can sit, like Randor on a throne or a Sky Sled.

Quote Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime View Post
    I got samurai battle cat and painted his armor red and removed one piece... it is very reminiscent of the original once you see it in all red.

OH MY GOD! I never even thought of that! PLEASE post some pics! I'll bet it does look great! Yeah, the ONLY thing I didn't like about what the 4HM did with the 200X redesigns was Battle Cat's helmet. I SO want them to make one for the Classics!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by twinAJ1 View Post
    To say you only need He-Man to "only be able to sit on Battle Cat and that's ok" is very short-sighted. He isn't the only one to use those furry shorts and Mattel needs to find a way to make the plastic softer, so other characters can sit, like Randor on a throne or a Sky Sled.
    That's my main concern as well, since most of the molds will be shared.

If in, say, 3 years time they make a Wind Raider and none of the 25+ figures can ride in it due to poseability problems i'm not going to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    OH MY GOD! I never even thought of that! PLEASE post some pics! I'll bet it does look great! Yeah, the ONLY thing I didn't like about what the 4HM did with the 200X redesigns was Battle Cat's helmet. I SO want them to make one for the Classics!
    no prob, i'll stick some up in the custom section tomorrow.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Finally a side by side comparison . it looks real good

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Eamon, bigger version of that Bruce Timm one HERE.

Flip through that book for a bunch more. Timm's take there is a pretty good match to the Classic toy, but like those other examples you posted (which are both great renderings) they all look a little too conventionally handsome, and too friendly.

True, the Classic toy head can be more of a smile or more of a grimace depending on what angle you're looking at.
    But it's definitely a little more caveman than superhero.

Also, like JonWes says, each artists own style comes into play.
    You can definitely see the trademark Timm-style lantern jaw (that very superhero look) creeping in on that He-Man, something that isn't on the toy at all.

Plus, none of those pics show the hint of Arnold's Conan that's on the toy.
    Not that they were trying to hit a likeness of Arnold, but there is some hint of it in the sculpt, and Arnold is definitely not conventionally handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by twinAJ1 View Post
    I just don't understand what's so difficult about making the loincloth out of softer plastic.

Look at other figures Mattel has produced, such as the DC Azrael figure, that has such thin and soft plastic pieces it's almost cloth-like.

I just hope Mattel can avoid a situation where they don't need to put out a "corrected" version of any of these figures down the line.
    He-Man with a fleshtone plastic-cast head, softer loincloth, revised packaging, etc.

Of course I want there to be room for MOTUC to improve over time, but I don't want these early releases to be made irrelevant for it.

And speaking of Battle Cat, I'm beyond confident the 4H will give us nothing less than an amazing update worthy of the Classic Battle Cat.

My only hope is that he be as massive as possible. The original was pretty good, but I think the 200x version was a little on the scrawny side.

The MOTUC Battle Cat should mimic the size and heft of He-Man himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post

Of course I want there to be room for MOTUC to improve over time, but I don't want these early releases to be made irrelevant for it.
    unfortunately this will be the case. As an example, the Transformers Classics line that started coming out in '07 was, of course, all top tier characters for wave 1. Supposedly great updates of the older versions... and they were, but now waves 4,5,and 6 are out and as far as engineering and quality, they far surpass waves 1,2, and some of 3... But we'll never get those older waves remade and all the later waves are full of second tier characters. It will be this way with MOTUC.
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.

I think it's fair to say that you are putting your own wants/opinions onto what you consider the definitive he-man. But none of the images that you've posted even really coincide with the filmation or MYP toons which are by far the most accepted and accessible forms of MOTU media
    As I said said from in my posts, aside from the crazy small nose (which makes a big difference is facial appearance) is pretty much like the original figure.
    I can show you a few (not many) frames from the MYP show that has He-man drawn quite like the original figure too!
    I'm not putting my own wants either, I thought Dolph Lungred made a great looking He-man. If we get a dude that looks as good for the new film, we be doing very well indeed.
    And as the risk of sounding arrogant, I've painted, nay slaved over He-man's face based on the skulpt so I do know what I'm talking about.

Eamon, bigger version of that Bruce Timm one HERE.

Flip through that book for a bunch more. Timm's take there is a pretty good match to the Classic toy, but like those other examples you posted (which are both great renderings) they all look a little too conventionally handsome, and too friendly.
    This is what seperates him from Conan in my opinion and goes into the more superhero mode which is a good thing.
    He only friendly looking because Timm has him smiling a lot but the over all facial structure is there and the same as the original figure.

True, the Classic toy head can be more of a smile or more of a grimace depending on what angle you're looking at.
    But it's definitely a little more caveman than superhero.
    You could argue anybody with a face like that would look like a caveman when angry.
    Look how much Christiphor Reeves face changed when he's angry!

Also, like JonWes says, each artists own style comes into play.
    You can definitely see the trademark Timm-style lantern jaw (that very superhero look) creeping in on that He-Man, something that isn't on the toy at all.
    I gotta disagree! Close up He-man mouth and he would have that lantern jaw.

Plus, none of those pics show the hint of Arnold's Conan that's on the toy.
    Not that they were trying to hit a likeness of Arnold, but there is some hint of it in the sculpt, and Arnold is definitely not conventionally handsome.
    You don't see any of Arnie in those pictures I posted? There's a lot of Arnie in them.
    Actually Arnie is the basis for a lot heroic facial references!
    I could bore you to death as to why!
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    unfortunately this will be the case. As an example, the Transformers Classics line that started coming out in '07 was, of course, all top tier characters for wave 1. Supposedly great updates of the older versions... and they were, but now waves 4,5,and 6 are out and as far as engineering and quality, they far surpass waves 1,2, and some of 3... But we'll never get those older waves remade and all the later waves are full of second tier characters. It will be this way with MOTUC.
    Hasbro can and WILL find a way to sell another Megatron, Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Starscream to you. They are going to do this in 2009 with Revenge of the Fallen. You have $40 movie toys? You'll get these too. That goes double for Wolverine, Spider-Man, Captain America and Iron Man in Marvel Legends. Snakes Eyes, Duke, Destro and Cobra Commander too.

Mattel would be the same way. The only trouble is that since MOTUC doesn't come out in waves, the fans wouldn't stand for it unless the revised He-Man totally blew the old version away.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Hasbro can and WILL find a way to sell another Megatron, Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and Starscream to you. They are going to do this in 2009 with Revenge of the Fallen. You have $40 movie toys? You'll get these too. That goes double for Wolverine, Spider-Man, Captain America and Iron Man in Marvel Legends. Snakes Eyes, Duke, Destro and Cobra Commander too.

Mattel would be the same way. The only trouble is that since MOTUC doesn't come out in waves, the fans wouldn't stand for it unless the revised He-Man totally blew the old version away.
    I won't deny it.... at one time before I trimmed down my TF collection, I had 26 different optimus primes <_<

As I said said from in my posts, aside from the crazy small nose (which makes a big difference is facial appearance) is pretty much like the original figure.
    I can show you a few (not many) frames from the MYP show that has He-man drawn quite like the original figure too!
    I'm not putting my own wants either, I thought Dolph Lungred made a great looking He-man. If we get a dude that looks as good for the new film, we be doing very well indeed.
    And as the risk of sounding arrogant, I've painted, nay slaved over He-man's face based on the skulpt so I do know what I'm talking about.
    It does match the figure, and I know the figure and the original comic came before the filmation toon, I'm just saying that he-man toys should mirror the medium that has the largest audience.
    Last edited by orionpaximusprime; November 26, 2008 at 11:29am.
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.