Page 6 of 158 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fwoosh MotUC reviews, photos and pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime View Post
    It does match the figure, and I know the figure and the original comic came before the filmation toon, I'm just saying that he-man toys should mirror the medium that has the largest audience.
    I agree and the largest audience was the folks who bought the figure!
    People love that figure man! Kids took him bed and never let him go!
    There was something in that face and figure that made He-man the big seller that he was.

And as Mattel say they are steering clear of any Filmation influence, the obvious intention here was to mimic what came before it. That doesn't seem to have happened in the final sclupt.
    Which leads me back to my original point, how come folks ain't getting He-man's face right?
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I agree and the largest audience was the folks who bought the figure!
    okay but I think no matter what the face looked like, some folks wouldn't be happy. This is always the case with fans though each has their own "true version" of character X and there is no room for change.
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.

If the figure I get in a few weeks looks like the one on the left I'll be extremely happy. I guess I just can't see loving the old He-man figure's face.

I feel like they are basically the same, though, in all the important (to me) ways. What I would call the "ugliness" of the old figure feels to me less like some sort of design/stylistic choice and more like the results of limitations of toy production in the 80's. Everything's more exaggerated which makes it uglier IMO (that and the blotchy black paint), but it probably had to be to compensate for the less precise molding they had. I don't think the new one is all that different, just modernized. The only thing I might change is if the eyebrows were somehow less "manicured" looking but that's only if I get very picky.

I love the original He-man, but nostalgia will only get you so far...

my only complaint with the new he-man is lack of tan... but that's really more to do with my filmation nostalgia.

Heroic Warrior
    JonWes: well said!! i agree completely.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Eamon, I dunno man, I see Timm drawings like this one:

and all I can see is Batman.

I don't agree with JonWes that the Classic head sculpt is ugly, but there's definitely what I could call a "lack of prettiness" there, which doesn't completely apply to the two samples you posted or to that Timm art.

But I do agree with you, that Maroto piece definitely comes to closest to approximating it from what I've seen.
    It hits the right middle ground between the truly "ugly" look from some of the cardback illustrations and the Adonis style superhero He-Man that seems to be the more common image.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post

I feel like they are basically the same, though, in all the important (to me) ways. The only thing I might change is if the eyebrows were somehow less "manicured" looking but that's only if I get very picky.
    :
    Thanks for posting this pic. I really like the comparison between the two. I agree, they are basically the same IMO as well. I also think the eyebrows could be less metro and a bit more barbaric, lol. I also think the nose is a bit too Dr. 90210

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Eamon, I dunno man, I see Timm drawings like this one:

http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/exclus...owerpage17.jpg

and all I can see is Batman.
    Well, that because that this image is like Batman! Tis a perfectly reasonable statement.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Lo and behold, a review copy of He-Man has shown up!
    Mattel has not forgotten us after all.

I will be zipping this off to Mandalorian30 so he can prepare for another of his awesome video reviews.

Thanks to Mattel!
    Maybe my holiday wish of a He-Man.org/Mattel sync-up will happen after all!
    Well, okay, probably not. But hey, it's great to dream, right?

[QUOTE=JonWes;2012105]

Original He-Man is more simian and brutal looking - thicker lips and nose, one eye could even be swollen. The one on the left looks pretty... pretty. Ugh.

I prefer brutal to pretty when it comes to barbarians. I suppose HM can stay pretty though, as he's not likely to ever get any scars or breaks from his fights. Too bad. I expect his hands are soft too.

plus everyone knows energy blasts from the ramstaff don't leave any physical wounds

Heroic Warrior
    wouldn't say Best Ever, but good nonetheless.

for me, best ever is still 200X.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

I will be zipping this off to Mandalorian30 so he can prepare for another of his awesome video reviews.

Thanks to Mattel!
    Great news. I'm glad they didn't forget about the authority when it comes to MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    I prefer brutal to pretty when it comes to barbarians. I suppose HM can stay pretty though, as he's not likely to ever get any scars or breaks from his fights. Too bad. I expect his hands are soft too.
    But He-Man's not a barbarian, Eternia's not Cymmeria, and Conan isn't an inspiration (though he may have indirectly been an influence).

He-Man is He-Man. He's his own thing, and there's nothing else like him. Furry underpants don't make him a barbarian, especially when nothing about his character is barbaric.

Whooo! Glad to the ORG got their copy. I look forward to the review.

Thanks to Mattel!
    VERY good to hear!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    But He-Man's not a barbarian, Eternia's not Cymmeria, and Conan isn't an inspiration (though he may have indirectly been an influence).

He-Man is He-Man. He's his own thing, and there's nothing else like him. Furry underpants don't make him a barbarian, especially when nothing about his character is barbaric.
    People think of He-Man as a barbarian. It's his look. Conan. Ax Battler. The Warrior from Gauntlet. Thundarr. The Ultimate Warrior. All of these guys have that barbarian image and motif. He-Man (at least Filmation and MYP versions) doesn't act savage. And then it's depending on the version. In the early comics he was in fact a barbarian. And in DC, he slew demons alongside Battle Cat. Filmation made him more G rated and MYP followed suit on what Filmation started.

I'd classify him as a barbarian, but then I'm a fan of the early minis when Eternia and MOTU in general was more barbarian-ish, people actually used swords and axes and He-Man came from a tribe. In the case of most of his history (I hate Prince Adam...) I would say that He-Man has the soul of a prince in a barbarian's body and guise to further separate the very educated and privilaged Adam from the rugged and muscular He-Man.

A guess a good compromise would be that He-Man is a "warrior".

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

There's only one solution - two heads:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...56#post2014056

Mmmm, that's debatable.
    Especially where this line is more influenced by toys and packaging and early minicomics than the Filmation toon.

The guy fends off ghoulish monstrosities from a skull faced castle with a sword, an axe and a shield, Oh and brute strength... Seems fairly barbaric in nature to me. Even if he is a really nice guy with a "pure" character... His actions, choice of weapons and costuming also speak to his character.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    I am really looking forward to my He-Man.

yes, I ordered one.

and I'm hoping it wows me in all the right ways.

the review looks good, but until I have this piece in my hands, and can handle it myself, I will not know for sure.

He-Man, Skeletor, and Faker are definite must-buys, even if I don't buy the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Mmmm, that's debatable.
    Especially where this line is more influenced by toys and packaging and early minicomics than the Filmation toon.

The guy fends off ghoulish monstrosities from a skull faced castle with a sword, an axe and a shield, Oh and brute strength... Seems fairly barbaric in nature to me. Even if he is a really nice guy with a "pure" character... His actions, choice of weapons and costuming also speak to his character.
    Barbarians as I've always known them are brutish and unsophisticated. He-Man is more like Superman than he is Conan. His appearance and weapons are minor aspects compared to what he stands for and what he does. "Barbaric" would be the last word I'd use to describe him.

I think people are too influenced by the early mini-comics. We have this excellent character and universe with an interesting history, and yet there are still lots of people stuck on what amounts to a drop in the bucket of the entire mythos.

the mini comics are the ORIGINAL mythos, i really cant believe so many people ignore it when it to me is the set instone MOTU and evrything else is an off shoot but not as good as original,. and for conan being called a barbarian is for the most part wrong and anyone that reads R.E.Howards conan(the original, not comic or movie conan) knows it he is a thinker and a brooding warrior , but is never made as aslow whitted barbarian that Arnie played him as
    Eternian Beastmaster

Original does not = better in all instances.
    Different yes, but not necessarily better.
    For me the original MOTU = Conan
    The Filmaton / later mini-comic MOTU = the real MOTU in my opinion

I have to say I would agree, while I enjoy the charm of the original mini-comics, I do think they were a little more of a pastiche of previous fantasy stories. I think MOTU really came more into it's own later on through FILMATION.

filmation did help and add on things , but it watered down the world to much IMO
    Eternian Beastmaster

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Well, that because that this image is like Batman! Tis a perfectly reasonable statement.
    My point is that those Timm drawings remind me more of Timm's style (ie. Batman) than they do of the look of the original figure.

Everybody! "Sync-up! Sync-up! Snyc-up! Sync-up!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Original He-Man is more simian and brutal looking - thicker lips and nose, one eye could even be swollen. The one on the left looks pretty... pretty. Ugh.
    Just saying, that's also a rather unflattering distance and angle to see that head sculpt, and the paint on the eyes is rather sloppy on that example.

Check out the other pics from that photo set HERE to see some other angles.

RE: the barbarian thing, the influence is definitely there whether anyone wants to recognize it or not.
    While I enjoyed the early mini-comics quite a bit (well, ALL of the mini-comics to a degree) they aren't the "be all, end all" version of MotU for me, and neither is Filmation.

Mine was a combination of a little bit of all of that stuff, but my inspiration was primarily drawn from the action figures themselves, and the artwork that came with it to a degree.
    But just playing with the figures, you really didn't need any more information to create your own awesome world!