Page 7 of 148 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fwoosh MotUC reviews, photos and pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Original does not = better in all instances.
    Different yes, but not necessarily better.
    For me the original MOTU = Conan
    The Filmaton / later mini-comic MOTU = the real MOTU in my opinion
    Of course "better" is often, not always, but often subject to personal opinion.

For me, even as a kid, the Filmation toon was embarrassing and too childish for my tastes, and I was a fairly innocent kid. I never fully liked the changes they made with Adam and all that.
    As an adult, looking at the two storylines, I have to shrug the shoulders some and chalk it up to history. Historically, Filmation's take became MotU for the most part, and that continued in MYP. And again, as an adult, I can swallow the whole Adam bit a little more the way MYP handled it all.
    Sorry, for me, the more I watch episodes of Filmation MotU, the less I like it anymore.

Call it the nostalgic curse, but for me, the real MotU will always live somewhere between MYP's MotU and Pre-Filmation stories.

As it will always be with MotU... Different strokes for different folks.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Court Magician
    In the comparison photos, it looks like the new power sword is practically the same size as the original, even though the new He-Man is a full head taller than his 80's counterpart. I wonder if that's accurate.

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leoghan View Post
    filmation did help and add on things , but it watered down the world to much IMO
    I don't agree with this statement at all. The original mini comics and the bruce timm adventure books did not have the scope nor the grandiose scale of the filmation toon.

I understand that a lot of people will associate motu with the medium they first encountered the characters, but I can never get behind He-man wearing power suits. I mean he lived in a hut on a rock farm, where did he get the tech to create those things?
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

For me, even as a kid, the Filmation toon was embarrassing and too childish for my tastes, and I was a fairly innocent kid. I never fully liked the changes they made with Adam and all that.
    As an adult, looking at the two storylines, I have to shrug the shoulders some and chalk it up to history. Historically, Filmation's take became MotU for the most part, and that continued in MYP. And again, as an adult, I can swallow the whole Adam bit a little more the way MYP handled it all.
    Sorry, for me, the more I watch episodes of Filmation MotU, the less I like it anymore.

Call it the nostalgic curse, but for me, the real MotU will always live somewhere between MYP's MotU and Pre-Filmation stories.

Needless to say I agree with everything there.

I will add though that the Conan thing, though a logical comparason isn't a fair one as I think the art style played a big role. The early minicomics artists also did Conan for Marvel.

I was exposed to Conan and He-man at the same time and I picked He-man because it was waaaaaaaaayyy more than just another sword & sorcery standard Conan copy. And lets not for get that you can have your favourite 'version' of MOTU all you want but doesn't change what it is and that is sword & sorcery with some sci fi elements.

MOTU didn't and doesn't need Filmation to distinguish it from Conan. Never has, never will in my opinion.

Back to my He-man face grips.
    Now while folks seem to think that he's a little 'neanderthal', which looking that original fish eyed lensed pic choice by Jonwes, is some what understandable. I don't think folks are really looking at his face. Because to me this is a handsome heroic and distinguished face.

I also don't think any one can argue that there's a certain level of detail on this face that the MOTUC doesn't have.

I must stress that I love this new line and we are just chatting.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    does the commemorative version have less facial detail than the '83 original?
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.

Yes! A lot less.
    The original moulds were lost evidentially.
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Barbarians as I've always known them are brutish and unsophisticated. He-Man is more like Superman than he is Conan. His appearance and weapons are minor aspects compared to what he stands for and what he does. "Barbaric" would be the last word I'd use to describe him.
    This reminds me of D&D discussions on what class is He-Man...a Lawful Barbarian who can read and doesn't rage or a barbaric looking Paladin?

I think people are too influenced by the early mini-comics. We have this excellent character and universe with an interesting history, and yet there are still lots of people stuck on what amounts to a drop in the bucket of the entire mythos.
    I think some folks were interested in He-Man way before Filmation's take. Our first exposure to the character. Back in the days when there was two halves of the Power Sword, no Orko, no secret identity of Prince Adam, when He-Man flirted with Teela, lived in a hut in the woods and slew demons with his axe. Those handful of early stories never got nearly as far in the mythos as the 234+ episodes of He-Man cartoons did.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

I totally agree. This is the same with me.

Quote Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime View Post
    I don't agree with this statement at all. The original mini comics and the bruce timm adventure books did not have the scope nor the grandiose scale of the filmation toon.
    The mini-comics didn't have the chance to get as far as the Filmation toon. 12 mini-comics vs 130 cartoons.

I understand that a lot of people will associate motu with the medium they first encountered the characters, but I can never get behind He-man wearing power suits. I mean he lived in a hut on a rock farm, where did he get the tech to create those things?
    The Green Goddess (Sorceress) gave He-Man his "He-Man costume" (Boots, bracelets, belt and power suit) and the Battle Ram after he rescued her from a monster using his bare hands.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 2, 2008 at 09:30am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Folks are assuming that just because some of us didn't like the Filmation toon, that we autmatically want the hut dwelling He-man. This is an incorrect assumption.
    www.eamonart.com

Eamon:

Now thats He-Man for me!

But I really think that face looks different to that painting Eamon, its the shape of the face that bugs me... the chin area especially.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I'm confident that this is what his face looks like when he's chillin.
    But don't take my word for it.
    Look in the mirror and observe how the muscles around your chin expand downwards when angry.

I've done my fair share of portraits which gives me good awareness of stuff like this.
    If I could only apply that to anatomy, I'd be laughin!!
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Folks are assuming that just because some of us didn't like the Filmation toon, that we autmatically want the hut dwelling He-man. This is an incorrect assumption.
    Well said.

Folks may compare Pre-filmation He-Man to Conan. It's a fair comparison, but they aren't twins by any means.
    I say Filmation He-Man is more like Superman but even more watererd down and with less powers, and many agree from both sides of the argument.

Either one simplifies He-Man more than should be. He-Man is his own character. He's not Conan OR Superman.

He dresses like a barbarian, fights like a barbarian/superhero. I don't care if you call him "pure", "Nice", "More like Superman"... He dresses like a barbarian, he fights in a barbaric world. I guess you could say he is a Superman, in a Conan/Flash Gordon styled barbaric world. He's the hero in a unique world different from Conan or Superman, different from Earth, yet there is something in that world for everybody, He-Man is just at the center of a rich and eternally wonderful, imaginary world. There you find some of what makes MotU so unique and sets it, and him apart from other heroes and stories out there.

So many of the other characters directly pull from the classic archetypes. You have the "Pure hero", the villian representing "Death", henchmen and heroes that pull from various cultures and primitive elemental forces of nature. All packaged up in a blend of Sci-fi and Fantasy with every color of the rainbow represented. And it's just random enough to be original in its presentation of stories we all already know and have heard a thousand times already.

And to be honest, you find that core of MotU in BOTH the Pre-Filmation material as well as the Filmation material.
    From there, it's a matter of personal preference on the color of packaging you like as the individual.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

I was very young when I was into He-man (around 5 at first) and I got into it in 1984. By that time Filmation was established and the Mini-Comics were reflecting Filmation for the most part. Whenever I encountered an older mini-comic it just confused my 5-year old brain.

So to me that just seems more like He-man. But I don't think it's the be all and end all. That's what I like about He-man. You can have a sword and sorcery story one moment and a cosmic space adventure the next. You can deal with a stray demon one moment and be battling a robot the next. I think embracing that wild go-anywhere spirit is a good thing. That's what I enjoy most about Filmation's interpretation. If you could take that and combine it with the more mythic elements of the mini-comics (which I appreciate more now then when I was 5) I think you'd have the optimal He-man.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I also don't think any one can argue that there's a certain level of detail on this face that the MOTUC doesn't have.
    Exactly, as is quite clear in those pics I linked to, the original He-Man head sculpt was quite detailed.

I also think the original 4H sculpt is pretty detailed in its own right, but I think there are two important distinctions:

1. I think the 4H did try to incorporate a more superhero/Filmation vibe, which has to be less exaggerated/ticked off looking.
    2. When you paint over plastic, and especially when you GLOSS paint over plastic, you always kill a lot of the detail.

Also, since these are sculpted 1:1 there maybe something lost there in the natural transition from sculpt to mold.
    I have heard that sometimes even if you don't do a 2-up, you sometimes do a 110% sculpt so that some of the detail comes out a little sharper than it would otherwise.

EDIT: Guia X just posted some slick new pictures of MOTUC He-Man that detail his head sculpt much better:

And the rest in the other thread HERE.
    Last edited by Lay Ze-Man; December 2, 2008 at 07:13pm.

Now that's the best photo we have seen so far and aside from the hair being a bit high, he looks pretty decent.
    Still not as good as the original he doesn't look to bad at all.

Hat's off to Guia X for such great photos!!
    www.eamonart.com

MOTUC Zodac review

http://www.thefwoosh.com/index.php?o...=1317&Itemid=1

Wow. That was fast.

Edit:
    There's also a video review by Pixel Dan on the main page now!

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Very fast. Thanks for the link.

I like how the MOTUC Zodac-head in comparison to Original Zodac-head are dead-on in the photo.

The last pic is simply hilarious.

Niiiiiice! Go Fwoosh!

I dunno, I think his armor is removable... Looking closely at the straps on the back... Unless it's all glued back there, they are separate pieces.

Nice quicxk review. What does he mean the armor isn't removeable?? That kind of stinks. Oh well. I'll still be getting him!!

I hope the armour thing isn't correct and that he got a prototype.
    Unremovable armour would really s*ck.

Zodac looks REALLY VERY NICE in those pics by the way.

Sounds good. The armor has gotta be removable though, right? I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Also, if they do end up making a black version I hope they just release him without a bio. I'm not liking the idea of separate characters or if they said there's a whole team of lookalikes. That's way too Green Lantern-ish.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Sounds good. The armor has gotta be removable though, right? I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Also, if they do end up making a black version I hope they just release him without a bio. I'm not liking the idea of separate characters or if they said there's a whole team of lookalikes. That's way too Green Lantern-ish.
    I think that's the whole idea. Zodac and Zodak are non-unique. Remember Zanthor and Zeehlar? And Zodak should have a bio. He's a way different character than Zodac.

Matty has him listed on their site with removeable armor. Of course, the Toyfare ad has Hordak listed as available on April 15th so...

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Hey guys!

I just got back from my honeymoon (this is my first full day home) and Zodac was already on my doorstep! I apologize for the delay, but Iw ill have the He-Man.org review up tonight hopefully!

BTW, Zodac's armor is removable. It unhooks in the back on the bottom. I'll show you in my review.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Hey guys!

I just got back from my honeymoon (this is my first full day home) and Zodac was already on my doorstep! I apologize for the delay, but Iw ill have the He-Man.org review up tonight hopefully!

BTW, Zodac's armor is removable. It unhooks in the back on the bottom. I'll show you in my review.
    Can΄t wait for your funny videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Hey guys!

Congrats on the wedding!

Can't wait to see your review!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!