Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 228

Thread: If the Collector's Choice fails, will this be the end for the MOTUC line?

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    1,269

    If the Collector's Choice fails, will this be the end for the MOTUC line?

    I was wondering lately what could be the consequences, if the Collector's Choice fails?

    - No more mini comics variants and characters both old and new
    - No more 200X variants or characters never made before from both the show and the comics
    - No more detailed Filmation classicized figures
    - No more NA
    - No more figures from other MOTU media
    - No more new MOTU characters
    - All the remaining MOTU figures made only as the underdetailed cartoonish Filmation style

    But most important could this be the official end of the MOTU Classics style in the toyline?

    What the fans and collectors think about it?
    Last edited by granamyr80; July 17, 2015 at 12:01pm.

  2. #2
    Loves/Hates ♠ DO4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,316
    If CC Fails, which I hope not, I must guess that MOTUC would end and we'd only get the Underdetailed Filmation Rehashes... (I don't see that line going beyond the first two Vintage MOTU Waves.)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

  3. #3
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    20,688
    If Classics goes down, Mattycollector is going to be No Man's Land until ThunderCats hits.

    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    If CC Fails, which I hope not, I must guess that MOTUC would end and we'd only get the Underdetailed Filmation Rehashes... (I don't see that line going beyond the first two Vintage MOTU Waves.)
    I think the Filmation Accurate line might blow up to a full scale sub in 2017. Mattel would be finished in 3 more years.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 17, 2015 at 12:41pm.

    The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Stygian360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,061
    I don't think we've been given any indication that Collector's Choice is in trouble, so why the hedging on the side of negativity already? Oh wait... this is fandom, I forgot.

    This will work the way any sub works. If it fails to meet the minimum they will produce the figures already in the production pipeline (like the failed DC sub from last year that had figures sprinkled throughout this year) and then that will be it. I have a feeling it will succeed though, as fans (like me) are just as excited for this line as they are for the start of Filmation. Now that's a sub that I am pumped for!!

    I can't help but feel Matty knows a Collector's Choice line was always a gamble, which is why they are sprinkling in must have figures like Despara as the exclusive and the oft-requested Nightstalker. It may not hit the stratosphere the way I anticipate Filmation will (or Thundercats for that matter), but I'm sure Mattel knows they will hit at or very near the minimum.

    As usual I say be optimistic. We're a tight knit group and although we hedge towards doom and gloom always, more often than not this attitude has proven unfounded when we hit our goal by the end of it.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    I don't think we've been given any indication that Collector's Choice is in trouble, so why the hedging on the side of negativity already? Oh wait... this is fandom, I forgot.

    This will work the way any sub works. If it fails to meet the minimum they will produce the figures already in the production pipeline (like the failed DC sub from last year that had figures sprinkled throughout this year) and then that will be it. I have a feeling it will succeed though, as fans (like me) are just as excited for this line as they are for the start of Filmation. Now that's a sub that I am pumped for!!

    I can't help but feel Matty knows a Collector's Choice line was always a gamble, which is why they are sprinkling in must have figures like Despara as the exclusive and the oft-requested Nightstalker. It may not hit the stratosphere the way I anticipate Filmation will (or Thundercats for that matter), but I'm sure Mattel knows they will hit at or very near the minimum.

    As usual I say be optimistic. We're a tight knit group and although we hedge towards doom and gloom always, more often than not this attitude has proven unfounded when we hit our goal by the end of it.
    I have to apologize, since it wasn't my intend to sound negative or something, but mine was a "what if" scenario, based on some comments at Mattycollector's FB page which were saying that the CC mini sub is condamned and so the Classics line with it (according to the number of subs so far). Believe me i want and hope that the Collector's sub goes through, since this is the main sub that i' m getting.

  6. #6
    Heroic Hyperborean NorthCoast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,133
    No. They will likely release what we've seen so far.
    Hey Matty, Snake Mountain rocks! Please don't downsize it!

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    I don't think we've been given any indication that Collector's Choice is in trouble, so why the hedging on the side of negativity already? Oh wait... this is fandom, I forgot.
    As a new comer to these things, I learned this as soon as I got here..

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    No. They will likely release what we've seen so far.
    Yes, but beyond the figures shown in SDCC, do you believe that the MOTUC line will continue to release new figures if something goes wrong with the CC sub?

  9. #9
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    4,905
    if it can fail (since I have not heard that it has a minimum or anything like that as yet, not that it will not) then I would say based on this roll out I really want to believe that Mattel has finally realized that no matter the form MOTU has to have a presence of some kind, continuously.

    Maybe they have finally realized that like GI Joe, Transformers, and TMNT that MOTU deserves and can have a constant something out there so that it remains (becomes like it should have been) a perennial part of our cultural landscape.

    Will/can Classics end? Sure. Can something not happen? Yep. Should that be the end, and will they allow it? I sure hope not. Mattel would be fool to let this property disappear completely for any real amount of time.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Stygian360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    I have to apologize, since it wasn't my intend to sound negative or something, but mine was a "what if" scenario, based on some comments at Mattycollector's FB page which were saying that the CC mini sub is condamned and so the Classics line with it (according to the number of subs so far). Believe me i want and hope that the Collector's sub goes through, since this is the main sub that i' m getting.
    I just double-checked the recent Matty FB feed pages to see if anything indicated numbers for the CC sub, but I don't see a thing. I'm not saying it's not in trouble, but with three full weeks left to sub I don't see how it could be considered in dire straights at this point- even by Matty's standards.

    Again, the CC sub was always going to have a tough row to hoe simply because the main line is done as of Dec (some might even argue Nov) of this year. These CC figures are the ones that a handful of very vocal fans have been asking for certainly, but I'd argue most would be just fine skipping these and going straight to Filmation. That's not my plan mind you (I've already subbed x2 for CC), but I can see that happening. Given that potential I could really see Matty scaling back production on this sub anyway. Perhaps tier 2? In other words expectations should have been level set even before the guys at Matty hit 'execute' on setting the CC sub lose on the public.

    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Yes, but beyond the figures shown in SDCC, do you believe that the MOTUC line will continue to release new figures if something goes wrong with the CC sub?
    They could always release figures here and there as part of promotions or even sprinkled into a conglomerate line. For way too long fans have acted the chicken little when it comes to these figures, and yet 8 years later here we still are successfully collecting them. In other words, wait for the sky to actually fall before calling it out.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior CanadaClassics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Orleans ON Canada
    Posts
    1,738
    As far as failing...the new Mattel guy told Dan in his video that subs need to hit targets including Snake Mountain pre-order.

    As this stage in the collection, it will continue until 'something' misses...be it CC Sub or Filmation Sub or Snake Mountain PO...that will be the sure sign that the 'lien is dead'.
    2015
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !


    MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior PantherCult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    457
    Certainly the collector's choice subscription is going to have a minimum number of order to reach to get the green light. All businesses work that way for producing product. They aren't doing the meter anymore but that doesn't mean there isn't a floor that has to be reached to keep things moving forward.

    But, the slow start to subscription sales (if indeed it has been a slow start - it has been slower than "normal" from .org posted subs, to be sure) may not be that surprising.

    The subscription window is open through mid August. Plenty of people may be waiting unti after the first of the month to commit. There's also lots of collector product coming out surrounding SDCC and people budgeting for the July subscription figures (and double the shipping costs for those with 2 subs) and budgeting for Rotar/Twistoid.

    But I think there may also be a segment of fans who have been waiting to see if there will be any further details about the Filmation subscription - would there be a way to sign up for both? Are they going to offer combined quarterly shipping options? Etc.

    I know I haven't ordered mine yet and probably won't for a couple of weeks. I'm headed to Disneyland with the family next week - so not going to spend on my subs until after I get back.

    I'm hoping that the offerings are good enough that enough people are willing to commit as I absolutely MUST have Tuskador on my shelf and he only happens if this sub goest through.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,013
    It's not clear to me that the Collector's Choice sub does have to hit a minimum.

    But whether it hits or fails, Mattel will put the Filmation sub up for sale next.

    As long as the Filmation sub does well, MOTU's future looks bright.

    HOWEVER, it will make them far more cautious about releasing F-listers or NA characters.
    TRANSPARENCY!
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Skeleton Warriors.

    3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

    WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Stygian360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    HOWEVER, it will make them far more cautious about releasing F-listers or NA characters.
    LOL... always with the slight aimed towards NA. At least your consistent. Talk about an agenda.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    LOL... always with the slight aimed towards NA. At least your consistent. Talk about an agenda.
    We're discussing the possible (likely?) failure of a 33% NA sub. NA is not some issue I'm bringing up. It's the topic at hand.
    TRANSPARENCY!
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Skeleton Warriors.

    3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

    WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

  16. #16
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    20,688
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    if it can fail (since I have not heard that it has a minimum or anything like that as yet, not that it will not) then I would say based on this roll out I really want to believe that Mattel has finally realized that no matter the form MOTU has to have a presence of some kind, continuously.

    Maybe they have finally realized that like GI Joe, Transformers, and TMNT that MOTU deserves and can have a constant something out there so that it remains (becomes like it should have been) a perennial part of our cultural landscape.
    I hope that this is finally true. MOTU's competitors have never really disappeared (some have had dry spells, but never disappeared entirely like MOTU has). I hope Mattel realizes that MOTU can be that barbarian or fantasy staple in the toy aisles. There isn't anything like it at present.

    The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I hope that this is finally true. MOTU's competitors have never really disappeared (some have had dry spells, but never disappeared entirely like MOTU has). I hope Mattel realizes that MOTU can be that barbarian or fantasy staple in the toy aisles. There isn't anything like it at present.
    That would be great. AS LONG AS they keep it at this level of quality. I have no use for the poorly made figures you'll find in a lot of the toy aisles these days.
    TRANSPARENCY!
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Skeleton Warriors.

    3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

    WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy (Rome)
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    It's not clear to me that the Collector's Choice sub does have to hit a minimum.

    But whether it hits or fails, Mattel will put the Filmation sub up for sale next.

    As long as the Filmation sub does well, MOTU's future looks bright.

    HOWEVER, it will make them far more cautious about releasing F-listers or NA characters.
    Yes but the failure of the CC sub, could be the end of the Classics line, and this means the end not only for the NA crew, but also for other popular variants and characters (200X Sorceress, 200x Evil-Lyn, Ice Armor He-Man, mini comic characters etc) in MOTUC. Basically it could be the equivalent of the end of anything MOTU related, with the exception of the Filmation era.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Yes but the failure of the CC sub, could be the end of the Classics line, and this means the end not only for the NA crew, but also for other popular variants and characters (200X Sorceress, 200x Evil-Lyn, Ice Armor He-Man, mini comic characters etc) in MOTUC. Basically it could be the equivalent of the end of anything MOTU related, with the exception of the Filmation era.
    I guess a lot of it depends on how that failure gets spun. CC is really the most obscure of the obscure. Mattel might conclude that they just tried to go too far into obscurity. However, this is why I have some hope that there might not actually be a minimum for CC. Frankly, I find it difficult to imagine that anyone ever expected this sub to hit 50% of 2015's numbers. I don't say that derisively, but to suggest that if this sub never had a chance at hitting any sales goal, perhaps it doesn't face one.
    TRANSPARENCY!
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Skeleton Warriors.

    3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

    WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    411
    Personally I'm going to be shocked if a sub that is 44% Evil Horde WITH an army builder (maybe two if they were smaht) doesn't pass. I mean what will that tell Mattel about making any more Evil Horde figures in the future? I still want Dylamug, Inspector Darkney, and The Horde Mummy! Where are my Evil Horders? We must unite and get this sub passed!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,791
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    As far as failing...the new Mattel guy told Dan in his video that subs need to hit targets including Snake Mountain pre-order.

    As this stage in the collection, it will continue until 'something' misses...be it CC Sub or Filmation Sub or Snake Mountain PO...that will be the sure sign that the 'lien is dead'.
    During the Panel it was said nothing but Snake Mountain would be treated like before with a meter and such. Unless I heard something wrong...

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    884
    If it ends, all the filmation characters like masque and vultak are more than welcome to come join us over in the filmation line but they will need to leave their motuc details behind

    After peekablue. I've left motuc behind. I'm on to better things with the filmation line. That's where I want energy directed from Mattel in 2016 and beyond
    ______________________
    I'm wanting to buy or trade for a set of the Wonder Twins figures *with* a Gleek that have nice solid clean paint applications. If you have a set and are interested private message me.

  23. #23
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    20,688
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Yes but the failure of the CC sub, could be the end of the Classics line, and this means the end not only for the NA crew, but also for other popular variants and characters (200X Sorceress, 200x Evil-Lyn, Ice Armor He-Man, mini comic characters etc) in MOTUC. Basically it could be the equivalent of the end of anything MOTU related, with the exception of the Filmation era.
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I guess a lot of it depends on how that failure gets spun. CC is really the most obscure of the obscure. Mattel might conclude that they just tried to go too far into obscurity. However, this is why I have some hope that there might not actually be a minimum for CC. Frankly, I find it difficult to imagine that anyone ever expected this sub to hit 50% of 2015's numbers. I don't say that derisively, but to suggest that if this sub never had a chance at hitting any sales goal, perhaps it doesn't face one.
    I think it depends on WHAT contributed to the failure.

    200X carried it's own sub, so Mattel might be able to get by with a small group of figures. Filmation had it's own sub. NA and Mini-Comics are the only questionable factors.

    Or collectively, the selection is so non-nostalgic/obscure that most fans don't care anymore.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 17, 2015 at 08:48pm.

    The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Ridureyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,541
    If it fails, Mattel will send agents to our homes to liquidate our collections.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    95
    I wish the Collectors' Choice sub well, but that's about all I can do for it. Now for the other sub...just when my interest in MOTUC was really flagging, having bought maybe 2 or 3 new figures over the last year...Suddenly the Filmation Accurate sub pops in front of my eyeballs, and I feel an excitement for modern MOTU that I haven't felt in a long time. That's where my sub money is going.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •