Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Comic #8/9 Covers (spoiler)

Mini Comic #8/9 Covers (spoiler)

image.jpg
    What do you think of the new layout/artwork?

Correction: covers 7/8

I hope Gorpo kills Dare.
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    Soon we'll be able to answer the age old question .... are He-Ro and He-Ro II actually the same person!

I used to think it's possible they were ... but now I'm not so sure? Can't wait to find out though!
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I hope Gorpo kills Dare.
    This was my hope as well, but Gorpo's bio killed it (and already spoiled the story).

My opinion about these covers:

Axel's artwork is great, but the covers confirmed that He-Man's story died/ended with last issue. The franchise from now on is about Don'tcARE MacCleod in steroids vs Evil trans Orko.

It amazes that a concept character like Dare has already 3 possible variants, when other far more important MOTU characters have the same number or less. Way to go Mattel.

Even if the artwork is great the covers are quite simplistic and uninspiring. Not any particular background, no recognizable MOTU characters save He-Ro. The tiny stuffed heads to the side, of cameo characters who are literally (Hordak, Skelly, Hsss, KG) or figuratively (He-Man) dead don't count.

Second outfit for Dare in less than two mini comics, closer to the Filmation one, but still he is a He-Man knock-off or variant with a horrible ponytail (something between He-Man and Son of Highlander). Unoriginal. And what kind of name is He-Ro II. It doesn't sound like a name but as a sequel from a movie (like Rambo II or something similar).

"Together again" "For the First Time". Excuse me but how is possible that He-Ro or He-Ro II to be "together again" and then "for the first time". Doesn't essentially the second line contradict the first? Do Mattel pay any attention to these titles anymore? And the second title of course "there can be only one", but unfortunately is already spoiled. So much for the "suspense" of this tale.

Anyway those covers confirms the direction that Mattel wants to follow for the franchise. That means that the 2016 sub is an easy pass for me (unless Mattel push the reset button, and return to the basics). Classic was a great journey and a fantastic toy line but i prefer to put an end and have remembered it to all its glory, rather watching it degenerate to something cheap and poorly executed. It's just sad to see that Mattel shows so much zealotry on pushing SOH, instead of make an effort to make the franchise relevant again. Oh well, i guess that everything, no matter how good it is, must end at a certain point. I just hoped for a better end for MOTUC.
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 10, 2015 at 03:24pm.

The two He-Ros actually look great together as a pair! Looks like one is representing magic and the other science...
    And Dare Vs. Gorpo... is Dare sporting the look fans of the Filmation pitch were looking for in a Dare/He-Ro figure?
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    To me it's disappointing that the last two mini's focus on Dare, while relegating all the main characters to co-starring status. Boo.
    Most wanted: Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid, and Despara!

It's probably prepping us for what is to come in 2016 (or maybe the $60 item IS Dare/He-Ro II related?). Also, I wonder if it's not Skeleteen Vs. Dare, maybe the two of them end up buddies?
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    To me it's disappointing that the last two mini's focus on Dare, while relegating all the main characters to co-starring status. Boo.
    Yeah, the original MOTU characters have been reduced to simple cameos, since most of them are dead. Who could immagine that He-Man, would finished as a background character in his own franchise? Instead we have one unoriginal knockoff vs a little cute guy, who supposed to be a villain. Really when i see Dare in steroids against little Gorpo, i' m leaning towards the Trollan. Dare vs Gorpo it sounds more like an act of bullying, than an actual battle between equals.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Yeah, the original MOTU characters have been reduced to simple cameos, since most of them are dead. Who could immagine that He-Man, would finished as a background character in his own franchise? Instead we have one unoriginal knockoff vs a little cute guy, who supposed to be a villain. Really when i see Dare in steroids against little Gorpo, i' m leaning towards the Trollan.
    Not to mention not even a nod to She-ra.
    Most wanted: Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid, and Despara!

Ok, now you got my attention!
    “You don't stop playing because you grow old you grow old because you stop playing.” George Benard Shaw.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    Not to mention not even a nod to She-ra.
    Second Mattel, both are old, retired, and outdated. Why bother with them, when Dare is the real chosen one and Mattel's favorite?

What's all this about He-Ro II, Man-E-Faces II, Ram Man II, U II and whoever? If you kill the original character off, and then realise it was, perhaps, a slight mistake, just replace them with another character! No need to give him/her an original name, numerals will do!
    I know we owe Toyguru a lot, concerning MOTUC, but his story writing skills leave quite a lot to be desired. For me anyway.
    And I really couldn't care less who survives out of Dare and Gorpo, as I don't care for either of them, at all..!
    Leech sucks..!

Well I'm curious to see the completed "new" story they've got here with He-Ro, but I'll be happy if the spotlight returns to He-Man and Skeletor for whatever comes in 2016. Obviously some of the Org will be too.
    Last edited by gbagok; May 10, 2015 at 04:21pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    This was my hope as well, but Gorpo's bio killed it (and already spoiled the story).

My opinion about these covers:

Axel's artwork is great, but the covers confirmed that He-Man's story died/ended with last issue. The franchise from now on is about Don'tcARE MacCleod in steroids vs Evil trans Orko.

It amazes that a concept character like Dare has already 3 possible variants, when other far more important MOTU characters have the same number or less. Way to go Mattel.

Even if the artwork is great the covers are quite simplistic and uninspiring. Not any particular background, no recognizable MOTU characters save He-Ro. The tiny stuffed heads to the side, of cameo characters who are literally (Hordak, Skelly, Hsss, KG) or figuratively (He-Man) dead don't count.

Second outfit for Dare in less than two mini comics, closer to the Filmation one, but still he is a He-Man knock-off or variant with a horrible ponytail (something between He-Man and Son of Highlander). Unoriginal. And what kind of name is He-Ro II. It doesn't sound like a name but as a sequel from a movie (like Rambo II or something similar).

"Together again" "For the First Time". Excuse me but how is possible that He-Ro or He-Ro II to be "together again" and then "for the first time". Doesn't essentially the second line contradict the first? Do Mattel pay any attention to these titles anymore? And the second title of course "there can be only one", but unfortunately is already spoiled. So much for the "suspense" of this tale.

Anyway those covers confirms the direction that Mattel wants to follow for the franchise. That means that the 2016 sub is an easy pass for me (unless Mattel push the reset button, and return to the basics). Classic was a great journey and a fantastic toy line but i prefer to put an end and have remembered it to all its glory, rather watching it degenerate to something cheap and poorly executed. It's just sad to see that Mattel shows so much zealotry on pushing SOH, instead of make an effort to make the franchise relevant again. Oh well, i guess that everything, no matter how good it is, must end at a certain point. I just hoped for a better end for MOTUC.
    Amen to all of that! And to every single point of criticism posted in this thread by the other users.

I really hope Mattel has noticed in time what a bad, bad, bad concept Scott's storyline is. I really hope that 2016 is a good mixture of everything and that these covers are not a sign of things to come! (And yes, if it sucks it is solely Scott's responsibility! It doesn't matter when he left Mattel, because the fact remains that he wrote this story)

The last WTFWTK sounded very promising and if we really get more vintage goodness in form of vehicles and the rumored Snake Mountain alongside some of the remaining fan demanded characters that we've seen in the DC comic (Vultak, Horde Wraith, Despara etc) I think 2016 could be great.
    If they go with Masters of the Neitlichverse I'm out, thank you very much.

Some random thoughts:
    Is this Axel's art? I thought someone else was doing the new comics?
    Do they really plan three variants of a character that exactly one single individual on this planet (TG...) interested in? I'm hoping for an option to display both looks of Dare with a single figure but I doubt this is possible. Even if the NA armor was removable the two characters have completely different legs/pants.
    Awesome sticker included!

Not a huge fan of the covers, to be honest. I think the artwork itself is cool, but the design of them is kind of putting me off. I don't like the little scroll and floating heads. Even how King He-man's long braids mean his name is way below his head. it just looks awkward. Still, I think I'd be more open to it if all three parts had the same look? As it is, it feels like an odd choice, now. Still, I'm intrigued to see where this story is heading, and He-Ro II's looks is pretty great! If we get a figure, PLEASE let it be that version!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    The two He-Ros actually look great together as a pair! Looks like one is representing magic and the other science...
    And Dare Vs. Gorpo... is Dare sporting the look fans of the Filmation pitch were looking for in a Dare/He-Ro figure?
    But isn't He-Ro II, transformed by the magic of the Power Sword? I don't believe that Dare has anything to do with science, no matter if his outfit looks exactly like.........NA's He-Man (the first one i mean, the second one is a variant of dad's old barbarian look).

As for the team up, i personally prefered this one (even if actually never happened in the mini comic, apart from a couple of panels):

If this is the future direction of the line, I'll be a cherry-picker after this year.
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

I have to say that if MOTU goes with this whole SOH story arc with the next line of action figures then they have sealed their doom because I just don't see enough support for it even if the figures are great looking and utilize the same buck as MOTUC. To me their best bet is to sprinkle SOH in with Filmation,200X,and NA.Its still no guarantee it will be successful but at least you have a better shot.

Easy pass for me. I am not interested in this storyline whatsoever. I find it boring, uninspiring and doesn't really progress the mythos, it just recycles it poorly. I'll be glad when this is over and I hope Mattel either goes back to creating original stories from the main timeline (He-man) or really make something worth reading as to the future of Eternia. The art work will be great, I'm sure of it, and that is the only redeemable factor with these mini-comics.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!
    NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O!!

I audibly groaned.

heman01.jpg
    Last edited by Lich Leech; May 11, 2015 at 07:15am.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    Sigh - first thing I thought of after seeing them was "whelp, people'll be complaining about the line now being all about He-Ro II" and how right I was.

A couple of things -

I keep seeing complaints about the use of the roman numeral II on the end of names but no-one in-universe actually calls them 'Ram Man The Second' or 'Ram Man Two' it's just used to denote a second character with the same name, no one called Barry Allen 'The Flash Two'. I know that's not quite what smaug was getting at here... but on that the use of the 'II' isn't new, it's just a way of preventing confusion over who's in the costume (and Ram Man II should be Ram Man III according to this cannon), also all three characters came with their names, but then I don't know why TG wanted to make the He-Ro versions of Ram-Man and Ma-E-Faces new people in the first place, the story bible doesn't imply it at all from my memory.

Actually while I'm on that rant, calling He-Ro II a 'knock-off', having the successor wear a similar costume is just a standard thing, am I the only one here who wasted parts of his life reading American comic books? No I can't be because it should be evident by the sheer amount of 'borrowing' Mr Guru has done from Green Lantern that he's spent some time with the funnybooks. Back to Barry Allen, Wally West's costume isn't a 'knock-off' of Barry's, he took over the role, his costume was tweaked, why is this unacceptable in He-Man but acceptable everywhere else? I suppose you could argue that in that case He-Ro II's outfit should be a tweaking of He-Ro's but name aside he's clearly supposed to be He-Man II (or He-Man XIIVI or whatever in this cannon) and always has been it seems.

The line isn't really 'now all about He-Ro II' as these comics come with a figure set released in...November (?), that's maybe two months of figures that are 'all about He-Ro II' and half of them are 200X characters and probably one of the remaining two will be a vintage figure, then come January the line's being re-branded. Sure it could be rebranded as He-Ro: Son of He-Man (and wont' sell) but that line will be about He-Ro. These comics on the other hand, are gonna be all about He-Ro II.

I don't think the comics are a good indication of what's coming in the line, they haven't been so far.

And this, which I wanted to post before I read the replies:

seeing the two thematically linked issues, I thought it would have been nice had the issues progressed through the incarnations of He-Man as they'd went on - Powers of Grayskull, Masters Vintage, She-Ra, Snake-Men (200X), NA, He-Ro II and such, one issue each or something like that.

Finally - I'm not defending the writing or even the He-Ro II era in this post, I do quite like the He-Ro II Story Bible concepts (and am pleased to see him wearing that costume, the NA costume didn't do anything for me and seemed illogical) but that doesn't mean I agree with or like TG's handling of it, that and they should have put Keltra in it .

aragorn from lord of the rings was actually aragorn II. having a roman numeral "2" after your name doesn't automatically make you lame.

i agree that the old pitches were lack-luster, and these stories are uninspired. however, i think they are "fun" -- campy romps through the motu-verse that (like toyguru wanted) move the whole world forward and include room for tons of new characters. i personally am very tired of re-booting franchises, re-telling the same origin stories, and re-treading the same old ground. i applaud the effort, even if they aren't very well executed. they are light years ahead of the new 52 motu comics i've read (again, just my opinion -- and i haven't read the ones by dan abnett).

but the artwork! axel only gets better each time. these covers remind me of what i loved about comic covers as a child. bravo, sir. bravo.

Oooh, these covers look cool, can't wait to read them.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by baron ironblood View Post
    aragorn from lord of the rings was actually aragorn II. having a roman numeral "2" after your name doesn't automatically make you lame.

i agree that the old pitches were lack-luster, and these stories are uninspired. however, i think they are "fun" -- campy romps through the motu-verse that (like toyguru wanted) move the whole world forward and include room for tons of new characters. i personally am very tired of re-booting franchises, re-telling the same origin stories, and re-treading the same old ground. i applaud the effort, even if they aren't very well executed. they are light years ahead of the new 52 motu comics i've read (again, just my opinion -- and i haven't read the ones by dan abnett).

but the artwork! axel only gets better each time. these covers remind me of what i loved about comic covers as a child. bravo, sir. bravo.
    If you haven't read Dan Abnett's stuff, then essentially you haven't read the DC MOTU stuff, because if you compare both stories Abnett's writting is miles better than any of the mini comics, and it's logic Dan Abnett is an actual writer, not a brand manager.
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 10, 2015 at 07:08pm.

He-Ro II would be an interesting figure...

And why is the Unnamed One called Gorpo, if he is Unnamed....???
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572