Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's the best candidate in your opinion to replace Toy Guru ?

Who's the best candidate in your opinion to replace Toy Guru ?

Who should be the next Mattel Marketing Manager now that Scott has quit in your opinion ? Before I go any further , first of all let's give a big thanks to Scott for help bringing our favorite toy line back to life . God bless you Scott and your family and good luck to you with your new job .

Now who in your opinion is the best candidate to replace Scott ?

In my opinion , I think PIXEL-DAN deserves to be the next Mattel Marketing Manager !!! No kidding I'm super serious . I can not think of any other public personality as passionate about Masters of the Universe as Dan .

With Dan I'm sure we would get all of the figures we dreamed of having . Plus I along with many think he is the best video reviewer of MOTU Classics on all of Youtube . Plus Dan is a very likable , down to Earth friendly guy that many of us would pull for IF he wanted the job .

If not Dan than who ? I really don't know. I just hope that MOTUC is NOT in trouble because of this . I'm sure we will still get to see all of the stuff we were promised under Scott's tenure, however the main question remains will the strategy of selling figures remain the same ? Will there still be subscriptions, etc ?

I'm sad to see Scott go, however I am looking forward to the day of the announcement of his replacement .
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mastersofeternia - MASTERS OF ETERNIA

HE-MAN CHARACTER PROFILE CLUB at-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HemanCharacterProfileClub

Honestly? I had the same thought.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Honestly, that would be pretty awesome. I doubt it's realistic for Mattel or Pixel Dan, but he's essentially already the face of this line to me. As someone who's not a big action figure fan, and has never really gotten involved in the community, I probably would have drifted away years ago if I didn't stumble upon Pixel Dan. I watch every single one of his MotUC reviews, and he even gets me excited about characters I'd never consider buying (which means I'm more likely to be around when a figure I do like shows up). Of course, he couldn't do reviews the same way, conflict of interest and all, but he could certainly preview figures. His enthusiasm is beyond infectious for me.

I'd list other suggestions, but, like I said, I'm not a big action figure fan. Toyguru's the only guy in this position, or in a position eligible to take over, that I've ever known.
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; October 18, 2014 at 02:38am.

It should be someone with a degree in and training / experience with marketing and management.

There's a lot no one hears about with regard to how things work on the inside. Being a great fan is just part of it.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    It should be someone with a degree in and training / experience with marketing and management.

There's a lot no one hears about with regard to how things work on the inside. Being a great fan is just part of it.
    Okay, okay, I'll do it.

Seriously though, since he didn't work on the brand full time, I'd think maybe they'd just have another brand manager pick it up as a task?
    Last edited by JonWes; October 18, 2014 at 02:49am.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Okay, okay, I'll do it.

Well, that's why I, at least, said I don't know how realistic it is, but you never know. A degree is just proof that you made it through a school on it. It doesn't guarantee that you'll weather the storm in practice, just as the lack of one doesn't prove that you can't in practice. Too many modern marketing people these days seem to be so rigidly attached to things they were told that they lose touch and fail to adapt.

Just as it doesn't matter how strong your persona is if you mismanage everything behind the scenes, the mismanagement of what the public doesn't see is irrelevant if you fail to engage them in the things they do.

But, again, I'm just saying that generally. I don't know enough to say if it applies to anyone that might be brought up here.

Heroic Warrior
    Let us hope and pray that whoever gets the job is a MOTU fan, and not just another business suit!
    Whatever else Toyguru may have been, he was, and is, a fan..!

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
    Anyone else but Ruben Martinez...

Maybe mr. Sopinsky?

Although Pixel Dan is a very affable guy who knows if he's got the business acumen, experience, and even desire to assume such a role. No, this feels like a decision to be made within the hallowed halls of Mattel and really none of our business. Our concern for obvious reasons, but certainly not for us to say.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

While Pixel Dan is the current other "face" of the line, it seems unlikely he would have the other qualifications necessary. I'm sure that whoever the best candidate is, we've never heard their name before.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I submitted my resume.

On a serious note, there's always someone who is up for promotion. At least 2015 is secure.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    I agree Dan would be the best choice if Mattel still needs someone at this place and if Dan has the required qualities to do the job Scott did. He has the passion for sure and with him we could have all the figures we are expecting to get
    So I really hope Dan will come after Scott.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED :

>>>>> Canadian He-man/Teela/Ramman <<<<<
    >>>>> Canadian Skeletor/Faker/Beastman <<<<<

Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Big shoes to fill.

Somebody enthusiastic, passionate, experienced, charismatic and able to cope with being reviled by half the fans/customers?

Vince McMahon?
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I would be surprised if they actually hired someone new to fill his shoes. More likely they will split up his responsibilities internally. This will likely mean someone who's the new brand manager that doesn't necessarily have passion or knowledge of MOTU. Most likely the new brand manager will have a minimal online presence, as not everyone is willing to become the scapegoat for all things good and bad with a toyline.

Passion for the brand and interacting with fans are two things that are not required for a brand manager.That's why it was so weird/amazing that Scott was the brand manager. A new BM could easily just kill the line and decide they want to focus on the other brands they manage (because MOTU is high investment, low return).
    Last edited by goluphi; October 18, 2014 at 08:29am.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

There is only one name: Emiliano Santalucia.
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

Who's the best candidate in your opinion to replace Toy Guru ?

I'd love to see Emiliano in there!

Pixel Dan? I'm not sure making YouTube reviews qualifies you to be a brand and marketing manager of a major toy company.

More likely, he won't be replaced at all. If 2015 is all ready and done like he said then there's no need for another brand manager. They'll give things like SDCC to other guys, maybe the 4H.
    Mattycollector will die come the end of 2015
    THE KEY! GET THE KEY!

Quote Originally Posted by bianchi5 View Post
    There is only one name: Emiliano Santalucia.
    I have some concerns with this suggestion.

I would love to have a passionate fan as a brand manager. But Emiliano has no business or marketing background that I'm aware of. He has also unfortunately posted many improper entries about Scott and Mattel on his blog and Facebook for several years which reflects poorly on Emiliano's professionalism. And he produced an unlicensed book through the Foundation that got him into trouble with Mattel. I doubt Mattel would hire someone like this to manage a toy line for a billion dollar company.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to bash the guy and I'm only stating facts. I can't ignore his recent past when considering someone for manager of the MOTU brand. But if he sorted out these issues, publicly apologized without any finger pointing mixed in, and then worked hard to clean the slate, I'd be happy to have someone like him as brand manager.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Big shoes to fill.

Somebody enthusiastic, passionate, experienced, charismatic and able to cope with being reviled by half the fans/customers?

Vince McMahon?
    To quote his theme song...no chance in ****!

As for the question, I would love to see someone at the Four Horsemen get the job. They not only understand the property, but also know the toy industry and Mattel very well.

I agree with you !!!

I'm a big fan of Emiliano and Pixel-Dan but I really don't know if both have the degrees in toy marketing....

I imagine whoever is best for the job is somebody none of us actually know via the boards here. I know Pixel Dan, Emiliano, etc. are all huge fans with various talents and are much-loved within the community here, but I don't think that makes them the right candidate for the job. That person is going to be someone with a background, schooling, etc. in this field and I'm sure we'll meet him or her soon enough.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Chuck Norris...

Someone with a background in toy marketing. I don't have binders full of toy marketers at my fingertips though, so no names come to mind
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Vince McMahon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    Chuck Norris...
    LOL!!!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    It doesn't really matter to me.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

4-Wheeled Heroic Warrior Wheelor's Avatar
    I nominate Kim Kardashian
    Quote the Raven
    "Nevermore"