Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

Open

As MOTU collectors, until now we have been denied the awesomeness of articulation, and these have the PERFECT amount so do yourself a favor and REVEL in it! I got mine tonight and they are SO MUCH more fun and awesome OUT of the box! You will NOT regret it!!!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Rip off the bubble, throw it away, slip the backer card in a drawer, don't get any work done because you keep putting He-Man in different poses on your desk.

...At least that's what I did.
    Now that is one well thought out plan! Thumbs up to that.

I ripped open King Greyskull and took pictures of him on top of my cat. I bet my dog can't wait till I get Beastman!!!! I may buy an extra Mer-Man and just line him up in our fish tank too.
    He has travelled a million miles across the void...

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    I will get at least two of each. I love having them loose, but will always love them moc too. It's not about having them be worth more at all. And that has always confused me how it's the assumption that getting a moc is to turn a profit on it. For example, when you when an auction, you are effectively the only person willing to pay that much for the figure. It is only worth that to you, or (unless it was under the radar somehow) somebody else would have out bid you.

For me, it's about preservation (many collectors think this way), and this is best achieved by keeping it in it's original state. The packaging tells us more about the figure than the figure itself generally, is the best way to keep it in it's like-new condition, and give us insight to what the line as a whole was about.

Now, I can't wait to bust one out of the package, but I will first and foremost keep one on the card. I have way too many figures sitting around that I have opened and regretted. And (this doesn't apply to me) if you are concerned about reselling the toy, not necessarily as an investment, but because you need the space or whatever, rest assuredly, the moc is worth more than the opened version. Maybe not for profit, but just trying to recoup your investment. I've rarely seen this be the case.

BUT, I do indeed need to have these loose as well, as they look like way too much fun to not play with, so I can see both sides, especially if you only plan on getting the one.

GOOD LUCK w/ your decision hommie!!!

open them...that's a no-brainer.
    :2/16/2010:
    I try to forget but the pain won't go away. Never forget, Never forgive.

Famous last words: "But I had a coupon!"

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar
    Normally I'm with AGE on this one because
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBushnell
    So, all it really comes down to is whether you ENJOY seeing the figure still immaculately presented in its packaging.
    ...but in the case of these I can't wait to say, "RRRRRRRRIP, Ah fresh new toy smell."

I'll probaly pull out beastman first, make him kick he-man while he's still in the packaging, have fun posing him around, then wrap him up until christmas & let my youngest boy rip him out of the box to get he-man's revenge.
    Bad times don't last forever but bad guys do ~ Razor Ramone

I'm a converted MOC guy now. These MotUC (the only line I collect at this time) are so tempting to open but I'm starting to like the idea of preserving the whole package - and the packaging for these has a cool bio of the character on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I'm getting selective with which figures I buy two of...He-Man's one of them. One to open and one to keep MOC. Beast Man on the other hand, I only got one of. I'll probably get two of Skeletor and two of She-Ra, pretty much THE main characters I'll get two of. The rest just one.
    That's a good system. Though I'd like to have every figure displayed both loose and MOC I might have to be selective as well. The "main" good guy and bad guy will definitely be displayed both ways; He-Man and Skeletor, She-Ra and Hordak. For figures with two heads I might buy two so I can display one MOC with the head that's attached and then loose with the alternate head.

I couldn't help myself, and I had to open my He-Man. He's just too awesome. Now I'm gonna have to buy another one.

I'm in the same boat as Kevin & chuc. I'll be very selective of who I'm buy doubles of. He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak, She-Ra, Merman, Scare Glow, and Tung Lashor I'll have to have two of so I can open one.

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    Toys are meant to be played with. Play away!

Well the Original line I wa to young to save so I opened all of them. The 2002 line I opened and then later bought them MOC on eBay. Now I buy 2, 1 to open and one to pose away.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Unless you just admire the packaging too, I say rip 'em open.
    As it was said earlier, too many collector's make keeping these MOC for an investment a worthless venture.

Unless you can go around the world in secret and open up all the collector's MOTUC toys so there is a limited quantity of packaged figures, they'll never be worth much of anything in the package.

Back in the day, we all opened our toys and played with them. It was the fact that few people kept the old stuff in package that makes the MOC stuff worth something.

I really appreciate everyone's posts. This has been an easy decision for many of you, I don't know why it is so difficult for me. I still haven't completely made up my mind. I have a few MOC original figures and i know I would definitely not open those. Most of my 200x line are opened and I do enjoy posing them and standing them in groups. All my stactions are MOC and I am toying with the idea of opening them, mainly due to the carded staction takes up so much more space. Did most of you open the stactions that you got?

The MOTUC line is much more enticing to open due to the articulation, thats for sure.

-Hemo

Buy 1 of each then theres no worries about whether or not to open them.

To each their own of course.

But wow, here we have the most articulated MotU toys that have ever been, and you want to keep it in the package? No thanks!

These puppies will be opened!

Plus I agree with Val on the whole "investment" issue.
    MOC rarely bumps up the price substantially on any given figure nowadays.
    Toyfare and the toy dealers may tell you otherwise, but look at Ebay.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemotoggy View Post
    Did most of you open the stactions that you got?

The MOTUC line is much more enticing to open due to the articulation, thats for sure.

-Hemo
    Nope, the few that I have are pinned to the walls in there plastic prisons & I like them deprived of air, food, & water.
    Last edited by Andy Adams; December 10, 2008 at 02:05pm. Reason: quoted
    Bad times don't last forever but bad guys do ~ Razor Ramone

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L. View Post
    Buying two of each is definitely easier said than done. Two of each figure per month is just shy of $600 per year on this toy line. Definitely a financial commitment. .
    I would rather go hungry to bed for three days, than miss one of these babies..!

Two of each is heading my way allready, one for play and one for my carded collection!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Open it!

Loose figures in your house make you look like someone who doesn't want to grow up.

MOC figures in your house make you look like the 40 year old virgin.

I am the first, you choose who you wanna be

i was going to open them but then they arrived and i saw the packaging and i just couldn't.

yesterday i decided to order another set to open but then i saw they were sold out...

it is kind of funny that this has determined how i will be collecting these figures in the future. since i can only get one of each now that is all i will get of the rest.

all of this being said...

does anyone cut the bubble in a way they can put the figure back?

i saw pictures on here once but can't find them now?

For me they have to be opened. How can you appriciate it stuck in a box! Im always very careful in opening the boxes so as not to damage them so if I decide to put the figure back in and glue it up it would be pretty much unnoticable anyway. Unless you want to keep them mint in box for financial reasons in the future I dont see the joy in buying them to keep in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by issarged View Post
    i was going to open them but then they arrived and i saw the packaging and i just couldn't.

yesterday i decided to order another set to open but then i saw they were sold out...

it is kind of funny that this has determined how i will be collecting these figures in the future. since i can only get one of each now that is all i will get of the rest.

all of this being said...

does anyone cut the bubble in a way they can put the figure back?

i saw pictures on here once but can't find them now?
    Yes,
    what i did was cut the bottom (three sides ) and pulled the insert out, take the figure out and display loose or return to insert and back in package. The only catch i found was you can only display it standing on a shelf (figure in package) the other thing is the insert takes a bit of effort to remove because of its shape (under the MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS logo )
    I don't know if that is what you want but it worked for me.
    Most Powerful Man In The Universe

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    If you search through old posts of mine on this board - I always said I keep my stuff sealed.

I changed my heart about a year ago and started opening stuff - even my old sealed figures

I say do whatever makes you happy and if you are torn about it then wait and don't bust open those sealed beauties.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Open them up! I currently have mine on the window sill in my kitchen and they look awesome. He-Man has his sword held up and the light above glints off of it ever so perfectly. It's a thing of beauty, I can assure you. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

That's something you just can't get with a packaged toy.

Open em - in the end you'll be a lot happier and a better, cleaner souled person too.

I might have been exagerating in that last bit.....

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Coming from someone who has had several of these figures in hand, I have to suggest that you open them!

While the packaging is awesome, and the figures look great MOC, theya re just SO amazing out of the the box and in your hands. I think you'll get much more enjoyment out of them if they are freed of their plastic prisons.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos: