Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Seriously. I couldn't keep a figure MOC if my life depended on it.

MOC stuff doesn't give me much pleasure. It's not much better than looking at a pic online. You don't get to see most of the figure, and you can't get the tactile sensation of the plastic, moving the joints, etc.

I can see an MOC collection of the vintage figures more easily, as it seems like you can get a better view of the figure with that more simplistic bubble/package design.
    I'm able to keep stuff MOC if I pretend it is for someone else. I have about 10 tubs full of stuff for my son. If he doesn't want it, then I'll go crazy and open it all.

I have been buying doubles of a lot of MOTUC figures because I'm expecting them to be enjoyed by my kids and myself for awhile and some may need replaced. I bought 3 of the He-Man/Battle Cat Party Packs last fall because of the fact they will get worn out. I have zero interest in selling any of my toys so everything is opened eventually.

I Did find a comment by one of the 4H during a recent RGD rather interesting. He jokingly said people won't play with their Castle Grayskull so the mouth being too small isn't a huge deal. If these toys weren't meant for enjoyment and slight play, they should be stactions. Why bother articulating them if they are meant to be left on a shelf not for touching? Also, the 4H left McFarlane because they were making statues essentially, not action figures anymore. These guys have to understand the enjoyment of action figures.

My favorite thing in the world is when my nephew asks to get my MOTU figures or G.I. Joe figures down to play. Last weekend he had pay Joes with him for almost 2 hours and it was a blast. I don't know how much time I'd miss out on if my toys were MIB.

IMO the MOTUC figures are ugly on their card. They look cramped. Set them FREE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I Did find a comment by one of the 4H during a recent RGD rather interesting. He jokingly said people won't play with their Castle Grayskull so the mouth being too small isn't a huge deal. If these toys weren't meant for enjoyment and slight play, they should be stactions. Why bother articulating them if they are meant to be left on a shelf not for touching? Also, the 4H left McFarlane because they were making statues essentially, not action figures anymore. These guys have to understand the enjoyment of action figures.
    I think the articulation is more there for cool poses on a shelf than play, to be honest. It's not that they aren't for touching, it's that the "play" with them, for most adult collectors, is going to be just messing around with them and posing them versus long epic battles like when we were kids.

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I have been buying doubles of a lot of MOTUC figures because I'm expecting them to be enjoyed by my kids and myself for awhile and some may need replaced. I bought 3 of the He-Man/Battle Cat Party Packs last fall because of the fact they will get worn out. I have zero interest in selling any of my toys so everything is opened eventually.

My favorite thing in the world is when my nephew asks to get my MOTU figures or G.I. Joe figures down to play. Last weekend he had pay Joes with him for almost 2 hours and it was a blast. I don't know how much time I'd miss out on if my toys were MIB.

IMO the MOTUC figures are ugly on their card. They look cramped. Set them FREE!!!
    Articulation is because they are toys first and foremost, but in the end, it's what we as individual collectors want to do with them....and I personally do not find the carded figures ugly, I think they are nice looking and well uniform, so as I was saying, to each their own.

I don't play with my MOTUC, nor do I have to, I don't have to worry about them being MOSC and missing anything, and for playing with my son...that is why he has his own that I play with him with. And while the 4H make great works of art, they don't represent my collecting habits, nor my desire to play with toys as an adult or not, I much prefer to leave my MOTUC carded, but I don't anymore since I had to open them months ago, and as of now, they stand side by side in front of the backer cards on shelves in order of release. They stand posed, yes, but they have been that way since they first were placed there, never posed again. But again, I prefer the look of carded toys....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I open mine & buy a second one of a few of my favorite characters to display MOC.

im in a tough spot and trying the impossible open or pop

last year i bought a local collection of a 3 year run of classics MOC/MIB and i havent opened any of them i mean i just cant bring myself to open teela,wun-dar whiplash etc now saying that i do have about 10 loose and 30 moc im wanting to do a loose set and a moc set good idea or am i crazy? and is anyone else doing the same?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Mitchyba...ow=grid&view=0 my youtube chanel with my he-man collection please take a look and subscribe always updating my motu

Got too expensive to get a set for loose and MOC since most months they release like 3 figures or beasts. But I have only the cool ones and my favorites MOC and I have a whole collection for loose. In my opinion you can't really enjoy the classics unless you open them, so much detail and little tidbits on the figures. It's a must to have a set loose, I could never just have a collection of MOC, I mean they're not gonna be worth as much as the 80's stuff, like hundreds of dollars like some people probably think to make money in the future.

I can say that I have a full MOC and full loose set. But the MOC is for my son when he gets bigger and can appreciate it. He's almost 9 months old, so it'll be a while.
    I also have an few extra MOC of my personal favorites that are just for me (main characters from Filmation mostly and childhood favorite toys).
    But opening them is so much fun and playing with them every once in a while just helps me appreciate how great these figures really are.

If I were you, I'd keep them MOC and start hunting loose collections. Since loose figures are cheaper. Plus with all these people threatening to quit the line without DOS stock, there may be a glut of them showing up on the marketplace soon.

I started a loose collection last Feb and am all caught up except for wundar who I probably will never get a second one of. After getting me second set and opening them most of my mib figures went into storage. I think if you plan on getting Grayskull you have to open your extras.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Heroic Warrior
    Wait and try to find a second before opening anything if you really want to keep a MOC collection.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    I open mine... but I do have a MOC set of figures with known issues... Photog, Snout Spout, ect.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchybabysc View Post
    last year i bought a local collection of a 3 year run of classics MOC/MIB and i havent opened any of them i mean i just cant bring myself to open teela,wun-dar whiplash etc now saying that i do have about 10 loose and 30 moc im wanting to do a loose set and a moc set good idea or am i crazy? and is anyone else doing the same?
    During the 200x line, I compiled a MOC set as well as a set to open but shortly after the line died, I found that I wanted to sell off my MOC collection -- which was quite a pain. I needed to ask myself, why do I really want a MOC collection? Is it for resell or do I genuinely like the look of the figures fully packaged? Ultimately, I decided I wanted to have them out and move them around and display them and appreciate the details of the sculpts in that way.
    I'm not a serious toy collector. The only two toylines I own are MOTUC (my son now has my 200x line) and G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary. I keep the G.I.Joe's MOC because of the awesome artwork on the card fronts.

When MOTUC was launched, I decided I would limit myself to one of each figure and open it up (although I do have a second sub this year, which I purchased to support the line). For me it comes down to cost and space.

I´ve got one open, one MOC of each MOTUC toy, with the exception of SDCC King Grayskull - I opened both versions, but he´s too expensive to buy multiples. Oh, and Wind Raider and Granamyr, as those boxes are without window, so one cannot see the content anyway.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Kind of depends on the figure I think. Some pretty much need to be opened to truly appreciate. Mekanek is a good example, it would be a shame not to be able to see the neck extensions in place. Same goes for Draego-Man and Octavia coming up, they can't even be seen assembled in the package. However, somebody like Wun-Dar? Meh just leave him in the package.

I'm keeping mine MOC for now, but I understand your perspective. I want to enjoy my figures more, but I'm hard pressed to open someone like Fisto or Teela. I feel like I'd be committing a crime or that I'd really regret it later. I guess I'm just going to try to find a better way to display my MOC collection.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

There is no good answer. Just know once you open you will want to keep opening.
    "Problems Weaver?"

Quote Originally Posted by Is-rael View Post
    There is no good answer. Just know once you open you will want to keep opening.
    Indeed, however, I do kept Shadow Weaver, First He-Man, Teela & Wun-Dar MOC. I do want to open them bad, but someday I may need a car...
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

There's the thing too that once you open, there's no going back!
    Personally though, I need to open mine up and pose them; having poseable MOTU figures is something I've wanted for decades now, so I needs to play!

I collect MOC and loose for everything. Wouldn't have it any other way!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Im working on both, I have most of them loose and MOC.
    Stratos75 Feedback Thread

I've had one bad deal on this board, contact me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBushnell View Post
    It's strange, but people don't seem to realize that MOC collecting is no longer a potential financial windfall. The idea was started because kids in the 80s didn't think to keep figures in their packaging... they tore them open and played with them!
    Obviously, that led to a lack of supply of carded figures in later years. The supply and demand rule meant that when these came back into some sort of fashion, demand outstripped supply and carded figures rose in value to extreme levels.
    Thus, collectors started collecting figures MOC in the hopes that someday they'll be worth the same. But they won't. They can't, it's not possible. Too many collectors have now done this to ever make the supply so limited as to push up the price. Also, most popular toys nowadays go on for quite a while with numerous different lines. That means more choice for the collector years into the future (when you're planning to sell). Why should he/she buy your toy when it's almost definitely inferior in every way (sculpt, articulation, features, packaging) to more recent toys? Just because yours is still MOC? Only if it has nostalgic value (as in, it was the first line of that particular brand) can that possibly be the deciding factor. But are these MOTUC figures the first line of the brand??
    If you don't believe me, research toy price trends over the past 5-8 years. Barring vintage figures (for reasons I've already explained), almost every single toy without exception from any major line (Star Wars/MOTU/Mainstream Transformers) has massively devalued - MOC or not. There's just too many of them available for people to pay over the odds.

You can get some sort of financial benefit if either:
    1) You get the figures faster than everybody else and sell them immediately. Again, due to the supply and demand rule. People are impatient.
    or,
    2) The particular figure was short-packed or otherwise rare in the line. This only happens on occasion. You can plan for it sometimes with exclusive figures, but not usually with others (popular female characters, perhaps). This means that if you keep the whole toy line MOC, you might have a small few that have risen in value. But the others will have devalued, so overall you are still very likely to lose money (unless you hit the jackpot with one particular figure).
    On top of that, you need to take into account the value of money over time. Your $30 now is worth much more than $30 in ten years. Even if you manage to sell at a slight profit, you'll still have lost out.

Again, this is looking at it long-term. In the short run, you might be able to make some money if you're quick. But most MOC collectors are looking at it to fund their retirement or something. Long-term, you really don't have much chance at all.

------------------------------------

So, all it really comes down to is whether you ENJOY seeing the figure still immaculately presented in its packaging. This is totally possible and if that's what you like, fine. Do it. But under no circumstances should you - these days - keep figures MOC purely because you want to make money on them in the future. Trust me, if it's a mass-produced figure, you are making a TERRIBLE investment! You should enjoy it in whatever condition makes you happiest... and if that means displaying the figure or playing with it, that's what you should do.

Just my advice based on what I've seen. Experts in the industry seem to agree, but take it for whatever it's worth and do what you like.

(When - in twenty years, perhaps - it comes time to sell your entire collection because you have no money left, don't cry when you're getting pennies on the dollar for each figure that you so "lovingly" kept MOC... you were warned! LOL)
    This should be blown up and printed out in post form. This is the truth. Everyone should read this.

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    I'm keeping mine MOC for now, but I understand your perspective. I want to enjoy my figures more, but I'm hard pressed to open someone like Fisto or Teela. I feel like I'd be committing a crime or that I'd really regret it later. I guess I'm just going to try to find a better way to display my MOC collection.
    Considering how much I paid for my Teela, I had little problem opening her up. But she would have been the only one still in package.

As I said I think in one of the other posts regarding this, I am mostly a opener at heart. But I do have a lot of stuff from other lines carded prime example being DCUC because of how they are posed in package. Keeping them carded also came from cleaning them and getting frustrated with trying to stand many figures also.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I struggled with this when these started coming out. I ultimately chose to keep the figures MOC and I'm glad I did, it's an impressive assembly of characters.

I bought doubles of a few figures and opened them over the years and I must say I just prefer them in package.

As a graphic designer, I'm a sucker for packaging and to me, it's complete when it's MOC.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Indeed, however, I do kept Shadow Weaver, First He-Man, Teela & Wun-Dar MOC. I do want to open them bad, but someday I may need a car...
    It's no joke, I hated to do it, but I sold my Shadow Weaver to buy parts for my car....she netted me just enough. I have Wun-Dar I bought loose, and King He-Man and Fang Man who are now loose, but I still have the package for them....being loose they lose some value, but if I needed to I could resell them decently....Plus I have SOH coming, while he may not be rare, he'll hold some value until we see him get a more mass release. Granted I'm not buying for the resale value, but Shadow Weaver came in for me when I needed her....

As well as all the Classics Transformers I sold for like 4X their original value when I started this line, they helped me start my MOTUC collection, after seeing how much they sold for, I was amazed....I sold $80 - $100 in Transformers for almost $500....talk about , I was like damn....but then I lost like $100 to ****ing Ebay and Paypal....

But still....it amazes me how much people are willing to pay for stuff, it's often well more than I'd pay for anything. And my starting bid was $50....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I guess you could say I "play" with my figures. I keep them down in my basement game room, which also happens to be where the doggie door is located. So when I take my dog down to go outside, I snag a figure off the shelf, sit down for a few minutes, and pose it around. Fiddle with the weapons, move the arms around, whatever.

I also started painting figures to make customs, it's a lot of fun. Can't do that with MOCs.