Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

Actually, I've been here since the start. I know the difference in reissues and first releases.

Now if you would kindly point me to the suckers who will pay $250-400 for a first run He-Man, I'll buy the 6 I found on ebay (all under $80 each) and sell them. I'll even give you 10% of my profits.

***Please do not post links to active eBay auctions outside of the marketplace. Thank you! ***

I thought about being funny and adding an ebay tutorial for you, but since tone doesn't translate well to text I figured I'd skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHall666 View Post
    Sorry Matey, looks like you've come a bit too late in the line to know whats going on here. I'll give you a bit of an education:

Notice how those He-man figures have an "Original" starburst on the lower right? that means they are re-releases. Re-releases have an extremely low re-sale value, you can pick them up pretty cheap and I'm surprised to see a price of $80 on them.

Now if those figures were a first run they would have no starburst and the price would be phenomenally higher (probably around $250 to $400).

Quote Originally Posted by man-with-arms View Post
    Now if you would kindly point me to the suckers who will pay $250-400 for a first run He-Man, I'll buy the 6 I found on ebay (all under $80 each) and sell them. I'll even give you 10% of my profits.
    Dam you man-with-arms, you just made me buy two He-mans I don’t really need . Checked on one of the others and he said the description was wrong and the postage was way too high for the others but I did score two for under $90 US so I guess I'm eating my own words now and owe you an apology (not that you will ever get it ).

That being said, yea, when I got my 1st edition He-man it ended up costing me about $250 but at the time the US dollar was alot higher then the AUS dollar plus shipping costs, so I guess I'm a sucker.

You paid $250 for He-Man?

Well, I went ahead and tested the waters by opening my Vikor figure due to the card having a few noticeable flaws. I have to say that the articulation is terrific, and he looks great in his fighting stance; however, this has convinced me that I will probably never again open a mint to near-mint carded figure from a line that I plan on completing. I just didn't enjoy opening that bubble. Oh well, now I know. I'll just have to pick my favorite 20-30 figures for display until I can work out the space constraints.
    Last edited by gummi; July 28, 2011 at 09:54pm.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Sorry about posting the ebay link. Didn't check the rules first.

And AnthonyHall666, the fact that you acknowledged the apology I'll never get is good enough to me. I'm glad you were able to pick up a couple for a good price. I'm not a MOC collector, so it wasn't worth it to me to pick up the extra figure. I'd like to start a MOC collection, but my wife would most likely kill me while I sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    You paid $250 for He-Man?
    Yea I did, and a little bit more but he one of the very few First Editions with the correct shoulders so I guess he was worth it.

I've got photos up somewere if you wanna have a look.

So I finally got some MOTUC... with many more on the way.

Clawful, Whiplash and Swiftwind are staring me in the face. I want to open them, and feel Whiplash. As a kid, he was one of my top favs. I vividly recall warm summer's days, when I would sit in my front yard, and launch my Whiplash, Webstor and Rattlor figures into the little pine tree that grew by the fence, staging ambushes on the heroes below.
    I played with him until he tail snapped off.

Next we have Clawful. One that I always wanted, and could never find. I hadn't even seen one in person until I was an adult. Now there is he, a perfect replica, improved and awesome, and I don't even want to open him up.

I've never been a MOC collector, but I just can't bring myself to open them. Argh! I'm so torn! I think they will remain MOC for a while, and I'll find new appreciation for my loose 200X figures.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 18, 2012 at 07:21pm.

Get them graded by AFA!! (Just kidding)

I think MOTUC figures look great MOC and loose, but if it's going to be one or the other, I say rip em' open!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Congrats on your purchases!

I've been into this before on the Matty forums, I'm a science freak and regularly read New Scientist. There was an article in one issue a couple of years ago that finally put my MOC collecting to rest. At it's simplest, it basically said that tests done on modern plastics show that pretty much everything will degrade, most of it within 50 years. Sod it, open it, enjoy it, if it outlives me, all to the good!

Just something to consider whilst you're debating on opening them or not.

OMG I've just begun collecting within the last six months and I'm the same way. I'm like dying to play with the figures lol but I can't bear to open them! I'm so torn every day! If I can get a decent display case I'll do it but until then I don't want them gathering dust

Quote Originally Posted by imonmywayup View Post
    OMG I've just begun collecting within the last six months and I'm the same way. I'm like dying to play with the figures lol but I can't bear to open them! I'm so torn every day! If I can get a decent display case I'll do it but until then I don't want them gathering dust
    Oh but they don't have to gather dust.. you can put them in zip lock bags after you open them.. I have mine opened up and in zip lock bags and in a tupperware container under the bed. I like having mine opened but to each to their own... welcome to collecting MOTUC..anyway you want to collect them.. they're awesome!!
    my feedback thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=218428

selling off my entire motu classics collection, here's a link to one of my auctions..... check out my other items 43 auctions total.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/120886470944...84.m1555.l2649

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    Release them from their plastic prisons!

Plastic Prisons Suck!!!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Keldor View Post

Plastic Prisons Suck!!!

=)
    I agree. Open em'!

OPEN THEM!!!!!!

They are fun!! Whiplash and Clawful are PARTICULARLY fun to play with. I find myself picking those two up off the shelf all the time!

You can get one of those air-blast cannisters that people use to clean electronics, to keep the dust off
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Open them and play with them a bit. Seriously, you will not regret it. If you do... will then dang.

I can't! Argh! Not yet... maybe when the second shipment arrives I'll be tempted enough... maybe...

First off, congrats on your first MOTUC figures!!!! Secondly, I say open those bad boys up! MOTUC is definitely one of those lines where I think you can't fully appreciate the figures unless they are opened. I'm very limited in my MOC collecting, I usually just keep a carded version of my favorite character in addition to the loose version. In the case of MOTUC, the only carded figure I have (or will be getting) is He-Man.

Personally I find you can enjoy them so much more being opened. You can really explore every detail and pose them however you want. You can also see all the characters stood together in their groups.
    Hope you enjoy them whatever you choose to do with them. they are great figures.

can't speak for the other two, but clawful is great. please open them all asap. at least open them before you get a she-ra. you know she's gonna hog swiftwind all to herself when she arrives. it's only fair to give clawful and whiplash a turn!

Thanks for the purchase! Glad to have been the supplier of your first MOTUC figures! What I have done myself is amassed a gigantic collection and I slowly open them over time. Out of the 50ish of them I have I have maybe 15 open. I open them on special occassions like birthdays or xmas, or to reward myself for finishing my online university classes, I'm weird like that though. Makes them a bit more special. Of my personal favorites I always buy an extra to keep MOC.

It's funny, Whiplash and Clawful hold a special place for me as well... I can still remember riding in the shopping cart at Super Store on 137th ave with those two figures MOC in my hands, being super excited to get home and tear them out of the packages. Ah... the good old days...

master of hiphop
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. never open them.. do not allow air in... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Get them graded by AFA!! (Just kidding)

I think MOTUC figures look great MOC and loose, but if it's going to be one or the other, I say rip em' open!!
    don't listen to SOK.. he's been outside for too long... too much toxic air.. MOC baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Keldor View Post

Plastic Prisons Suck!!!

=)
    Last edited by AGE; January 19, 2012 at 12:47pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Widget
    me say the articulation in the toy is there for a reason. The toys need to be pose to display the better side of them.
    He who knows best is just unassuming

I nearly opened them ALL on Xmas and then I reminded myself that I have no display case! does anyone have any good suggestions of where to get a good one? maybe all glass? idk what to get!!

Quote Originally Posted by imonmywayup View Post
    I nearly opened them ALL on Xmas and then I reminded myself that I have no display case! does anyone have any good suggestions of where to get a good one? maybe all glass? idk what to get!!
    IKEA usually sells pretty nice clear glass cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    IKEA usually sells pretty nice clear glass cases.
    I agree with that the detolf cases are only like $60 and hold alot of figures!
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/